Football Media Discussion 3 (Goodbye Foxtel, Hello Paramount+)

Going for Rudan first (although I really hope they go back on that, it's ridiculous he's their first name signing) suggests they aren't that interested in foxtel people, the on-air talent at least. Out of all of them the only one I'd take is Bozza.

1 hour ago, Smoggy said:

Have they announced Simon Hill yet? 

If not I have major concerns it has taken this long.

There are strong rumours/media reports (not from the big media players) that he has the gig. Agree with mack that they probably won't announce until launch.

I agree that I think Peacock is worth a shout (and James Dodd from Foxsports News if he were interested) but reckon Peacock might stay if there are enough other sports for him to host/cover.

3 hours ago, marron said:

Oooh he'd make a good villain wouldn't he. 

I was also going to riff on Channel 10 shows but I couldn't name any others.

Incidentally weren't channel ten on the verge of collapse a couple of years ago? What's happened that they can do this? Or is paramount what has happened that they can do this?

When Lachlan Murdoch and his mate were in charge they tried ( and nearly succeded ) to run 10 into the ground so Rupert could step in and buy at a cheap price. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2017/07/15/rupert-murdoch-may-have-to-bail-out-his-sons-bankrupt-australian-channel/

https://www.afr.com/companies/media-and-marketing/inside-the-deal-how-cbs-turned-the-eye-on-network-ten-20171201-gzwhdp

I think there is an opportunity now to paint active support in a positive light. With every gathering of any type of crowd, there will always be a few that want to cause trouble. For too long NRL and AFL centric sports reporters have been ferociously toxic in their crticism of fan behaviour at football games, in vast contrast to the way they report crowd behaviour in their own sports. I hope that Ten and Paramount make a concious effort to reverse the stigma placed on football fans by unfriendly media.

A TV series focussing on active support would be a good start, with each episode spent with a different team. A day in the life aspect, where the viewer gets to experience the build up to a match and the atmosphere during games as if they were there. Some history of the formation, growth, and ups and downs of the supporter group would be good too. I think this could go a long way toward the de-demonisation of football supporters.

Even by just refusing to kowtow to hostile attacks from shock jocks and the like, and providing fair perspective to derogatory reports from hostile news agencies, the new broadcasters can make a big difference to the games image. I think it is in their (Ten/Paramount) best interest to help grow active support, and with their young viewer demographic, they are well placed to do so.

39 minutes ago, JustWandering said:

I think there is an opportunity now to paint active support in a positive light. With every gathering of any type of crowd, there will always be a few that want to cause trouble. For too long NRL and AFL centric sports reporters have been ferociously toxic in their crticism of fan behaviour at football games, in vast contrast to the way they report crowd behaviour in their own sports. I hope that Ten and Paramount make a concious effort to reverse the stigma placed on football fans by unfriendly media.

A TV series focussing on active support would be a good start, with each episode spent with a different team. A day in the life aspect, where the viewer gets to experience the build up to a match and the atmosphere during games as if they were there. Some history of the formation, growth, and ups and downs of the supporter group would be good too. I think this could go a long way toward the de-demonisation of football supporters.

Even by just refusing to kowtow to hostile attacks from shock jocks and the like, and providing fair perspective to derogatory reports from hostile news agencies, the new broadcasters can make a big difference to the games image. I think it is in their (Ten/Paramount) best interest to help grow active support, and with their young viewer demographic, they are well placed to do so.

Brilliant, post of the day.

2 hours ago, JustWandering said:

Indeed  this is kind of what i was referring to in another thread when I talked about how the powers that be with a vested interest in our sport have never had our backs in realtion to active support, they have stood back and let the attacks rip in.

This is indeed a fresh opportunity to reboot and start from fresh. And what you suggest sounds like a good way of doing that.

Edited by Smoggy
16 hours ago, Carns said:

Good to see. And also just highlights how every broadcaster has their vested interest and motivation for promoting certain sports/ products.

And for ignoring/ marginalizing others. ;)

2 hours ago, WHACKO said:

I hope all this means is Archie is on the catering team for the commentary and not on the actual commentary team.

If his cooking is anything like his commentary he may not survive being given so many sharp knives.

15 minutes ago, Davo said:

If his cooking is anything like his commentary he may not survive being given so many sharp knives.

I hope the food tasters have life insurance 

I can’t remember what it was or where I saw it but I saw something the other day suggesting that Adam Peacock will be staying at Fox

9 minutes ago, hughsey said:

I can’t remember what it was or where I saw it but I saw something the other day suggesting that Adam Peacock will be staying at Fox

I think he mentioned on the pod once because he does multiple sports. Although he is wary because Fox lost the French open. The content is getting smaller now.

Fox are ****ed. They’ve paid a fortune for cricket, AFL and NRL which has left them in a position where they need to keep bringing in subscribers but don’t have the cash to be securing/retaining other rights which makes that difficult.

I think there will be a few personalities leaving in the coming 12-18 months to seek some more security at the newer streaming services. Peacock could get a gig anywhere.

Peacock recently did an interview with Pat Cummins which is airing in the summer. I suspect he'll at least need to stay around for that.

On 17/06/2021 at 5:23 PM, Davo said:

He will be fine, just needs to learn the lingo about “hero the ingredient / dish” and to get around any deficiency by just making  ice cream every week like the current contestants do. Every week current MasterChef = curry, ice cream, curry, ice cream, curry, ice cream......just nail those and ge will be sorted.

Well I, ah, baked the egg on hot water, and then, ah, julienned it from this plate and beganned it with palt and sepper.

You don’t even need to make it up. You can use actual lines from his football commentary.

Judge: So what have you prepared for us Archie?

Archie: I don’t know to be honest.

It'd be interesting if we could ever see the numbers (highly unlikely) of subscribers for each football platform - Optus/EPL, Stan/UCL, Ten/A-league etc. to see how many football fans are willing to pay for each service (and how much crossover there is).

Can't see fragmenting football fans further as necessarily a good thing. I think it shows that no broadcaster is willing to pay overs to house all football content. Will be interesting to see how it all plays out next season and beyond.

20 minutes ago, Carns said:

It'd be interesting if we could ever see the numbers (highly unlikely) of subscribers for each football platform - Optus/EPL, Stan/UCL, Ten/A-league etc. to see how many football fans are willing to pay for each service (and how much crossover there is).

Can't see fragmenting football fans further as necessarily a good thing. I think it shows that no broadcaster is willing to pay overs to house all football content. Will be interesting to see how it all plays out next season and beyond.

You have to question Optus atm where they go from here. And I wander what Stan's plan is with just Champions league what else they may be eyeing off.

EPL rights are up for grabs from 2022, I reckon Stan goes hard for those. Unless you're a big rugby fan, it's hard to justify Stan Sport at the moment (min cost $20 with no HD, $24 with HD, $29 with 4K capability).