Knives Out For Robinson Under The Blood Moon

8 hours ago, Wanderingbeersclub said:

Didn't he say that if players don't want to give their all HE (as in CR) doesn't want to be at the football club?

No I think he said he doesn't want them to be here

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, SBW said:

No I think he said he doesn't want them to be here

I think this is what he said also..

But doesn't matter. The season is another unmitigated disaster and I expect there to be lots of defection of blame.

Let's see if the players now turn against CR. Because if they are blamed but have been as confused with CR as we have been the one can only assume they would be seething this morning. But there are also a few players that need to take a long hard look at themselves.

If i were Kamau I would be angry as **** after last night and the season.

I think tense would be the right word to use for Wanderers HQ this morning. To be a fly on the wall ehh.

Over to you Mr Lederer.....

Edited by Smoggy
9 hours ago, Wanderingbeersclub said:

Didn't he say that if players don't want to give their all HE (as in CR) doesn't want to be at the football club?

Yes, that’s what he said.

1 hour ago, SNS100 said:

I cannot believe he said that!! 

See ya CR. You are not only a fraud, but you are a piece of ****. 

He needs to be shown the door this morning. 

That’s him pulling his parachute cord. He’s just laid all the blame on the players

Rat

What a bludger of a game. That was like watching 11 strangers pulled off the street for a kick around and the only condition was that they had to have a back 3. 

It’s a minor miracle that we’ve somehow scored the second most goals in the competition cause there’s no strategy in attack. At one point we had a flat line of 7 players going forward, it was like watching the Eels play. It was like watching kids play where they just all swarm after the ball. 

We’ve finally got fullbacks who can whip a decent ball into the box who are specifically playing in that pure wingback role. You’d think we’d be setting up so our strikers and attacking players flood the box and are on the penalty spot when the ball comes in? No, instead the keeper has an uncontested catch, throws it long to their wingers who have enough time to make a sandwich on the counter cause our back 3 is so exposed and our wingbacks just keep doing their pointless shuttle runs up and down the line.

Carl makes his generic fresh legs subs between minutes 60-80, pats himself on the back and then just proceeds to stand there for the rest of the game making weird hand signals as if they actually mean something lol

When do players get to be held accountable. ?  Never. ? 

Babbel constantly blamed the players as well for not putting in. Was he wrong as well. ?

I'm not a fan of CR, think he is tactically naive at times, but I also believe players have to have some blame apportioned to them. 

Carl wasted what was a good squad. He never found out what his best 11 was and persisted with players that were out of form... and (putting my tinfoil hat on) suspicions of favouring his own agency players. Why else would you continue with Ibini even though he didn't have a pre-season or through Urgakovic after 1 week of training. Funnily enough Baccus, Mcdonald and Cox showed more in the 10 position than Troisi he was just too inconsistent only came up for the derbies and when we dominate teams.

No matter what anyone thinks this was a squad that should have been top 4 and through coaching inadequacies we are again without finals.

1 hour ago, sonar said:

Babbel constantly blamed the players as well for not putting in. Was he wrong as well. ?

I'm not a fan of CR, think he is tactically naive at times, but I also believe players have to have some blame apportioned to them. 

Ohh for sure, I can think of a few players that need to take a long hard look after this season. CR isn't totally off the mark there, but he needs to wear some of the responsibility also. If he came out and admitted where he has gone wrong and with a decent understandable outline of what needs to change he might just win me over.

I see and hear nothing from CR that installs confidence. Unlike Keithie I want to hear words that ******* mean something and then evidence of change in the pitch.

We are seeing non of this.

18 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Ohh for sure, I can think of a few players that need to take a long hard look after this season. CR isn't totally off the mark there, but he needs to wear some of the responsibility also. If he came out and admitted where he has gone wrong and with a decent understandable outline of what needs to change he might just win me over.

I see and hear nothing from CR that installs confidence. Unlike Keithie I want to hear words that ******* mean something and then evidence of change in the pitch.

Yes exactly...well said Smoggy.

Watched the highlights back after getting home from the game. Since we nearly conceded from our own kickoff at the start of the second half the highlight of Sotirio's shot had the interview with Robbo playing in the background. He said "I can't head the ball for them. That's two easy goals we've given away". While he's right that the players have to take some responsibility individually, defending set pieces is something the team does as a unit. It's something that the coaching staff develops and the squad trains on.

If we're conceding so many goals from corners that the commentators are bringing it up right before we concede then maybe the coaching staff needs to take some responsibility for their plan constantly failing. We seem to change personnel every week yet we always have the same problems so that suggests the system is faulty, not the individuals.

It absolutely was nothing but set pieces that killed us in this game more than any other game this season. I just don't get it. Are our players afraid of developing CTE, because other than Duke I'm not seeing any determination to make a play at the ball and head it away from danger? Do we have too many young players who have not developed the muscle mass yet to physically compete with the push and shove in the box? Do we have too many short players? Barely anyone is over 180cm. Tate, Ziggy, Bruce, Baccus and Dorrans come to mind, not to mention McDonald and Muller. I think we need to be in the market for some tall timber in the off season.

The set piece defending is not a new issue that just appeared this season but was very present throughout the season. Its been an issue for a very long time. I remember since at least when Reira was here we were entirely reliant on him to defend set pieces specifically corners cause he won everything in the air. I mean that's telling when your corners are being defended effectively by your striker. This year I would say Duke has been the most dominant in the air for us, all our CBs are repeatedly beaten in the air.

We are currently missing that player in defence that is dominant in all aspect of the game and makes their presence known. Again when you really think about it we haven't adequately replaced NTS and Alberto every defender since has been sub par at best. The first goal Aquilina really needs to be stronger he switch off the split second before the goal. The second goal was most embarrassing. A corner conceded by mistake and then the marking on Hemed. We had 3 players around him: Duke, Ziggy and Natta and he outjumped all of them for that goal.

58 minutes ago, JustWandering said:

It absolutely was nothing but set pieces that killed us in this game more than any other game this season. I just don't get it. Are our players afraid of developing CTE, because other than Duke I'm not seeing any determination to make a play at the ball and head it away from danger? Do we have too many young players who have not developed the muscle mass yet to physically compete with the push and shove in the box? Do we have too many short players? Barely anyone is over 180cm. Tate, Ziggy, Bruce, Baccus and Dorrans come to mind, not to mention McDonald and Muller. I think we need to be in the market for some tall timber in the off season.

We have some tall timber now but he doesn't help much...Ibini. As tall and solid as a tree with about the same speed.

2 hours ago, sonar said:

At contract negotiations.

The issue here is outside McGowan, no one has really been horrifically bad like in past seasons. The issue here VERY clearly lies with the man who has the very hollow title of 'coach'. 

2 minutes ago, Upthehill said:

At contract negotiations.

The issue here is outside McGowan, no one has really been horrifically bad like in past seasons. The issue here VERY clearly lies with the man who has the very hollow title of 'coach'. 

I don't disagree with the criticisms of the manager and I'm not trying to deflect from whatever deficiencies he has as manager but after 4 years of paying to watch crap from multiple managers you have to also criticise the playing group and the mentality and attitude of those that have come to the club. 

For an example Babbel was a quality player and played at the highest level, had an attitude of hating to lose, tried to instill that in the players and failed miserably.

Something is amiss with the players and their attitude,?  The manager may be part of it but certainly not all of it.

One area that is of concern to me is Margush's less than adequate "area dominance" he does not show the required skills needed in this area to be a very good keeper. He allows himself to be hemmed in by the opposition at corners (and of course this is not helped by poor defending by his own players) Last nights 2nd goal was a prime example of this. Overall he's a good keeper but his command of his own area is lacking.

By the way tall timber in one's team is often very helpful (provided they have some ball sense and marking nous).

However, effective ball heading requires timing and balance (something Tim Cahill had plenty of as did Reira who was rarely beaten in the air.  

4 minutes ago, Ossified said:

One area that is of concern to me is Margush's less than adequate "area dominance" he does not show the required skills needed in this area to be a very good keeper. He allows himself to be hemmed in by the opposition at corners (and of course this is not helped by poor defending by his own players) Last nights 2nd goal was a prime example of this. Overall he's a good keeper but his command of his own area is lacking.

By the way tall timber in one's team is often very helpful (provided they have some ball sense and marking nous).

However, effective ball heading requires timing and balance (something Tim Cahill had plenty of as did Reira who was rarely beaten in the air.  

Steven Taylor showed his experience at being a shithouse when it comes to set pieces. He was constantly blocking Margush so he couldn't come off his line. While referees need to be better at policing that (there is an obstruction rule in the laws of the game) it's also the responsibility of the rest of the squad to protect their keeper.

Occasionally at park football we get some knob who wants to block our keeper or get in his face at corners. One of our centre backs will either force him out of the way or rake some studs down the back of their ankle before the ball comes in. One guy was particularly annoying and when the pack of players broke up after the corner was cleared he was standing there with his shorts around his ankles. In the days of VAR I wouldn't necessarily recommend the last two options.

8 minutes ago, Davo said:

Steven Taylor showed his experience at being a shithouse when it comes to set pieces. He was constantly blocking Margush so he couldn't come off his line. While referees need to be better at policing that (there is an obstruction rule in the laws of the game) it's also the responsibility of the rest of the squad to protect their keeper.

Yes, spot on. Was at the ground saw and thought exactly the same about Taylor's irritating carry on.

4 hours ago, Upthehill said:

That’s him pulling his parachute cord. He’s just laid all the blame on the players

Rat

He's not alone. Shades of Babbel, Gumby - it's never the coaches' fault for tactical disasters and lack of training for set piece defending etc apparently. I wonder too if there's a touch of the European arrogance coming in here too - "we come from the home of the highest professional standard of football, we are underperforming as a team and therefore it must be your (the players') fault, because it couldn't possibly be mine/ours as we are beyond reproach". 

I think we need an Aussie in charge because they know the A-League with all its peculiarities and foibles. 

2 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Well ffs if a player or players need to wear responsibility for failings then don't play them - give em the Popa out to pasture treatment until they improve or ship them out - there are certainly a couple of players who spring to mind, but not the bulk of the squad and the coach decides who plays and what position they play. How do we explain the sudden change in Duke, from goal-scoring form and heart-on-his-sleeve WSW to struggling and evidently unhappy with formations - he said the players had to stand up prior to the derby and they did, but this was also when the formation was (? almost uniquely?) changed to a back 4 etc.

I haven't seen anything but is there a valid reason why the RBB weren't 'performing' last night? or have we fallen behind the Bulls in terms of Active Support?

We joke about Gombau going to India and not performing but he's won three times the amount of trophies as a manager than our entire club has. None of them were an ACL and 5 of them were in the Hong Kong league, but he's taken a side to a domestic treble and an FFA Cup while we've won nothing for 7 years.

7 hours ago, sonar said:

Players should be held accountable, but when you have players not performing regularly ( Troisi, McGowan, Ibini etc) why are they picked again and again ? 

The other issue is the formation it seemed clear to all here that it was wrong but CR persisted in playing with that formation and playing players in the wrong position.

1 hour ago, MartinTyler said:

I haven't seen anything but is there a valid reason why the RBB weren't 'performing' last night? or have we fallen behind the Bulls in terms of Active Support?

I assume still protesting about a member being thrown out a few games back? Not attending any more home games I think? For the moment at least.

Sunday could see the lowest crowd in our history.. if we crack 3k we will be doing well.

Margush: great shot stopper and had a great year in this department. However he is a big reason why we have conceded so many from corners and set pieces. Along with poor marking and the inability to contest a header with someone, it’s contributed to 50%of the goals we’ve conceded. 

Vukovic in???