UEFA EURO's 2020 (1)

EURO 2020: 

Group A (Rome/Baku): Turkey, Italy (hosts), Wales, Switzerland
Group B (Copenhagen/St Petersburg): Denmark (hosts), Finland, Belgium, Russia (hosts)
Group C (Amsterdam/Bucharest): Netherlands (hosts), Ukraine, Austria, North Macedonia
Group D (London/Glasgow): England (hosts), Croatia, Scotland (hosts), Czech Republic
Group E (Seville/St Petersburg): Spain (hosts), Sweden, Poland, Slovakia
Group F (Munich/Budapest): Hungary (hosts), Portugal (holders), France, Germany (hosts)

GROUP STAGE

Friday 11 June

Group A: Turkey vs Italy (21:00, Rome)

GROUP STAGE

Friday 11 June

Group A: Turkey vs Italy (21:00, Rome)

Saturday 12 June

Group A: Wales vs Switzerland (15:00, Baku)
Group B: Denmark vs Finland (18:00, Copenhagen)
Group B: Belgium vs Russia (21:00, St Petersburg)

Sunday 13 June

Group D: England vs Croatia (15:00, London)
Group C: Austria vs North Macedonia (18:00, Bucharest)
Group C: Netherlands vs Ukraine (21:00, Amsterdam)

Monday 14 June

Group D: Scotland vs Czech Republic (15:00, Glasgow)
Group E: Poland vs Slovakia (18:00, St Petersburg)
Group E: Spain vs Sweden (21:00, Seville)

Tuesday 15 June

Group F: Hungary vs Portugal (18:00, Budapest)
Group F: France vs Germany (21:00, Munich)

Wednesday 16 June

Group B: Finland vs Russia (15:00, St Petersburg)
Group A: Turkey vs Wales (18:00, Baku)
Group A: Italy vs Switzerland (21:00, Rome)

Thursday 17 June

Group C: Ukraine vs North Macedonia (15:00, Bucharest)
Group B: Denmark vs Belgium (18:00, Copenhagen)
Group C: Netherlands vs Austria (21:00, Amsterdam)

Friday 18 June

Group E: Sweden vs Slovakia (15:00, St Petersburg)
Group D: Croatia vs Czech Republic (18:00, Glasgow)
Group D: England vs Scotland (21:00, London)

Saturday 19 June

Group F: Hungary vs France (15:00, Budapest)
Group F: Portugal vs Germany (18:00, Munich)
Group E: Spain vs Poland (21:00, Seville)

Sunday 20 June

Group A: Italy vs Wales (18:00, Rome)
Group A: Switzerland vs Turkey (18:00, Baku)

Monday 21 June

Group C: North Macedonia vs Netherlands (18:00, Amsterdam)
Group C: Ukraine vs Austria (18:00, Bucharest)
Group B: Russia vs Denmark (21:00, Copenhagen)
Group B: Finland vs Belgium (21:00, St Petersburg)

Tuesday 22 June

Group D: Czech Republic vs England (21:00, London)
Group D: Croatia vs Scotland (21:00, Glasgow)

Wednesday 23 June

Group E: Slovakia vs Spain (18:00, Seville)
Group E: Sweden vs Poland (18:00, St Petersburg)
Group F: Germany vs Hungary (21:00, Munich)
Group F: Portugal v France (21:00, Budapest)

The top two in each group plus four best third-placed teams go through.

KNOCKOUT PHASE

Round of 16

Saturday 26 June

1: 2A vs 2B (18:00, Amsterdam)
2: 1A vs 2C (21:00, London)

Sunday 27 June

3: 1C vs 3D/E/F (18:00, Budapest)
4: 1B vs 3A/D/E/F (21:00, Seville)

Monday 28 June

5: 2D vs 2E (18:00, Copenhagen)
6: 1F vs 3A/B/C (21:00, Bucharest)

Tuesday 29 June

7: 1D vs 2F (18:00, London)
8: 1E vs 3A/B/C/D (21:00, Glasgow)

Rest days on 30 June and 1 July

Quarter-finals

Friday 2 July

QF1: Winner 6 vs Winner 5 (18:00, St Petersburg)
QF2: Winner 4 vs Winner 2 (21:00, Munich)

Saturday 3 July

QF3: Winner 3 vs Winner 1 (18:00, Baku)
QF4: Winner 8 vs Winner 7 (21:00, Rome)

Rest days on 4 and 5 July

Semi-finals

Tuesday 6 July

SF1: Winner QF2 vs Winner QF1 (21:00, London)

Wednesday 7 July

SF2: Winner QF4 vs Winner QF3 (21:00, London)

Rest days on 8, 9, 10 July

Final

Sunday 11 July

Winner SF1 vs Winner SF2 (21:00, London)

I have my wall chart ready :)

Winner from one of France, Belgium and Germany (can never discount the Germans). Outside punts - Netherland, England (ha, bound to choke :D), Spain, Portugal, Italy, Croatia....the winner will be from within this list somewhere.

If England can progress then they have games at Wembley, and the final would be at Wembley, but I am sure they will find a way to choke long before then, and the Dutchies will also choke as well naturally..

There’s no real soft groups this time but Group F is a monster, with the reigning European champions, reigning world champions and former world champions.

France and Portugal have crazy depth in their squads. I reckon their second XI’s would beat most teams.

Posted (edited)

Middlesbrough hosted the final two England warm up games, and also the England team stayed at the Rockcliffe Park training ground. 

Says much about the facilities Middlesbrough have developed over the last 20 years or so. Still amongst the best in Europe. We had the likes of Barcelona touring around 15 years ago. Rated very highly by those in the know.

Not bad for a small town in Yorkshire that has only ever spent 2 seasons outside the top 2 divisions in 130 odd years.

The odd sleeping patterns commence this weekend. Will try and see as many games as possible.

Edited by Smoggy

"The odd sleeping patterns commence this weekend. Will try and see as many games as possible."

Not going to lose too much sleep over Wales I fear, Italy in Rome really can't see us progressing, just follows the WSW & Swansea disappointments this season :sorry:

1 hour ago, WSWJACK said:

"The odd sleeping patterns commence this weekend. Will try and see as many games as possible."

Not going to lose too much sleep over Wales I fear, Italy in Rome really can't see us progressing, just follows the WSW & Swansea disappointments this season :sorry:

Yeah, that's a tough assignmemt. But underdog mentality, you never know!

If anyone wants to join a tipping comp for Euro2020, this is a great one, its only $20 in and all money goes to the prize pool and there are also additional prizes like Euro2020 replica balls and a heap of other stuff so go to this Fb page and ask to join, they will let you in straight away and then you can join the Tipping Comp from there.  Awesome tipping comp and banter page throughout the tournament.  Get around it.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/347140866752708

12 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Good win for Italy first up. Things looking good for them.

Yes it does, they normally start with a shaky nil all draw and then slowly improve. The French, Germans and Spanish will be looking over their shoulders as they could be a real threat.

1 hour ago, GunnerWanderer said:

Impressive as it sounds  they really have played anyone of note in that time maybe the Dutch and Turks today. 

just before that streak France and Portugal both beat them 

not to downplay but yeah don’t think they are world beaters 

https://au.soccerway.com/teams/italy/italy/1318/matches/

Those losses were also in 2018. I agree that they haven't played probably the top 4 or 5 nations, but they have played the Netherlands, Poland and Portugal (also in 2018) and didn't lose.

Considering they missed the World Cup, Mancini has done a lot to turn the mentality of the squad around. Not sure if they're good enough to win, but they should be quarter finalists or better.

One of the Danish players, Christian Eriksen might have just died. He collapsed after making a simple pass and they're doing CPR and doing the electric shocks on him. Medics were with him for a while before they stretchered him into the back of the stadium. There's some pictures of him awake and in a breathing mask as they took him off so hopefully he'll be okay once they get him to a hospital.

Reported he's stable in hospital. They're restarting the game, which seems crazy to me but that's apparently what the players agreed to do.

7 hours ago, WSWJACK said:

ah bollox why do  I follow sport :stonedtrifiro:

A draw is an ok start for Wales. It was always going to be a battle for second place in that group. Need to keep GD in control against Italy and will need to beat Turkey.

4 hours ago, mack said:

One of the Danish players, Christian Eriksen might have just died. He collapsed after making a simple pass and they're doing CPR and doing the electric shocks on him. Medics were with him for a while before they stretchered him into the back of the stadium. There's some pictures of him awake and in a breathing mask as they took him off so hopefully he'll be okay once they get him to a hospital.

Reported he's stable in hospital. They're restarting the game, which seems crazy to me but that's apparently what the players agreed to do.

TV cameras rolled too long on this, the BBC did anyway. People don't need to see the face of a guy getting chest compressions and also of his wife running on to the pitch in tears. The BBC have apologised and said they were not in control of the footage shots, but could have cut back to the studio..

Sounds like he is doing OK in hospital now thank God.

Hey, the camera people were no doubt following standard procedure for tournaments these days "never mind the football show us the chicks in the crowd".

Good he's doing OK. Amazing really. 

2 hours ago, marron said:

Hey, the camera people were no doubt following standard procedure for tournaments these days "never mind the football show us the chicks in the crowd".

Good he's doing OK. Amazing really. 

Cameras roll, but can cut back to the studio at any time, they don't have to stick with it.

Anyway, England start tonight and expect them to choke and choke good...they always do. I mean the Dutch are also amazing chokers, but at least they won the thing in 88.

It's a bit weird this tournament from previous, covid obviously, but by that i mean the matches being spread out across Europe instead of a host nation as such.

it just loses that little bit extra like the fans going on tour and turning it into a carnival atmosphere, i know there are bad examples like the russian fans in Masellies a few years back, but generally opposite fans do respect each other and a it's a great sporting occasion just following your team at a major tourney.

That was a shocker at the Danish v Finns last night, so glad Erikkson is okay top job by the medicos there, and great to see the crowd showing empathy for the situation unfolding before them, it was humbling to watch some of those fans stop (both sets) and actually care about an individual fighting for his life.

Yeah, I mean, in the scheme of things, it shouldn't be the real focus, but the fan reaction was great.

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, WSWJACK said:

It's a bit weird this tournament from previous, covid obviously, but by that i mean the matches being spread out across Europe instead of a host nation as such.

it just loses that little bit extra like the fans going on tour and turning it into a carnival atmosphere, i know there are bad examples like the russian fans in Masellies a few years back, but generally opposite fans do respect each other and a it's a great sporting occasion just following your team at a major tourney.

That was a shocker at the Danish v Finns last night, so glad Erikkson is okay top job by the medicos there, and great to see the crowd showing empathy for the situation unfolding before them, it was humbling to watch some of those fans stop (both sets) and actually care about an individual fighting for his life.

I was originally going to be in the UK for this in 2020 and was planning to go to games in London, Glasgow and a few in Europe. That went to shyte pretty quick, thankfully no $$ commitment to it was made.

Edited by Smoggy

Solid start from England with their win. First time England have won their opening game.

Modric can still pull the midfield strings with great vision and passing, but you can tell he is getting to the end of his career at 35. His last major tournament you would think.