UEFA EURO's 2020 (1)

1 hour ago, Smoggy said:

I bet you're a happy boy this morning eh? ;)

I said it was farrrrrr too early to write off Wales after the opening draw. They have some spirit the Welsh side.

Italy up next but I suspect even they would progress even with defeat in the final game. They can go to Rome with confidence now.

Very happy boyo this morning thanks, did not have high expectations going in but fair play they are more than holding their own, Ramsey was purring this morning and Bale showing signs of coming out of his slump but terrible penalty by him, but to win that well in Baku the other side of Europe from Wales with 30,000 Turks in the stand......impressive :clapping:

see if they can pick up a tidy draw in Rome next.

22 minutes ago, Davo said:

I wasn't really rating Italy coming into the tournament but they've been good. Don't think Turkey and Switzerland put up much of a fight but they still got the job done convincingly. The spine of Donnarumma, Bonucci, Chiellini (if he's not badly injured), Jorginho and Immobile is going to be a match for most teams, plus they have players with the quality of Chiesa coming off the bench.

Hard to go beyond Italy and France to win the thing really. Perhaps Belgium and Portugal.

14 minutes ago, WSWJACK said:

Very happy boyo this morning thanks, did not have high expectations going in but fair play they are more than holding their own, Ramsey was purring this morning and Bale showing signs of coming out of his slump but terrible penalty by him, but to win that well in Baku the other side of Europe from Wales with 30,000 Turks in the stand......impressive :clapping:

see if they can pick up a tidy draw in Rome next.

A draw in Rome would be a VERY good result. Italy are on fire.

You see these last group games in tournaments all the time where a draw suits both teams, players rested and trying to avoid yellow cards, main players subbed for knockout stage etc, could well be a draw.

11 minutes ago, WSWJACK said:

You see these last group games in tournaments all the time where a draw suits both teams, players rested and trying to avoid yellow cards, main players subbed for knockout stage etc, could well be a draw.

Reminds me of that dour 0-0 draw between France and Denmark in Australia's group of the last World Cup, which guaranteed they both progressed.

3 hours ago, Davo said:

Reminds me of that dour 0-0 draw between France and Denmark in Australia's group of the last World Cup, which guaranteed they both progressed.

I was thinking of Germany v Austria couple of World Cups back, come to think of it maybe West Germany then, friendly shots from the halfway line bloody boring to watch.

Belgium showing their class in the second half. Not as impressive as France or Italy, but they will go deep in tournament.

Good win for the Dutch also.

21 hours ago, WSWJACK said:

Not sure Italy are in the mood to switch down a few gears, not in Rome anyway.

20 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Not sure Italy are in the mood to switch down a few gears, not in Rome anyway.

Ah well just have to give them a good stuffing then.........:xnod:

I'm guessing it was a response to what happened to Eriksen but Denmark came out hard and should have been a few goals up in the first half. Maybe the emotion and exertion of it all hurt them in the second half, although being able to bring De Bruyne off the bench also helps.

Belgium look good going forward and will always have goals in them but I don't know if their defense is up to winning a tournament. Don't have a lot of confidence in Vertonghen, Alderweireld and Denayer (although great name for a defender). If they give up that many chances against Italy, who look like their most likely quarter final opponents, I can see them losing.

Netherlands were good, although I was listening to the Tifo podcast and they made a good point about how friendly the draw has been to them. Austria, Ukraine and North Macedonia isn't the worst group. If they win it they play one of the third place qualifiers, which could be Germany, but could also be someone like Scotland, Czech Republic, Sweden or Slovakia. Win that and they play a quarter final against the winner of the R16 match between the Group A winner (Probably Wales, maybe Switzerland) and the Group B runner up (Russia, Finland or Denmark). If they don't end up getting Germany as a third place qualifier they could potentially get to a semi final without playing any of the big guys.

I'll sing on my own lol

England v Scotland, oldest intentional fixture there is.....time for both teams to get stuck in hard, the ref needs to let some early hard tackles go...

Lets go...

England have hit the post but that aside there is no doubt at all that Scotland have been better in the first half, they had a few great chances and on another day would be 2-0 up. Before the game Scotland would have taken 0-0 at half time, but bet they are ****ed they don't have a goal to show for that, they deserve one.

Posted (edited)

The after match comments will be about how great the draw is for Scotland. But the truth is they were by FAR the better side and should have won that game. England hit the post first half but after that all the best chances went Scotland's way. It was there for the taking.

Yes they will be happy with a point, but **** me, it could and should have been so much more.

England ARE better than that performance, they didn't look up for getting dragged down in to a derby type game and atmosphere. Scotland arrived up for it, it is always like  cup final to them, England didn't deal with the occasion, it got to them more.

But for those looking in who didn't see the game thinking wow, Scotland got a point, they should have won this. It is England who got away with one here.

Harry Kane looks ready for retirement or the HAL. Jogging around like a 40 year old lol

England probably happy that game is done I think.

Edited by Smoggy

So so the next games are England v Czech Republic and Scotland v Croatia. If England lose by a big margin and either Croatia or Scotland win, they could be a very lowly 3rd place finisher.

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

So so the next games are England v Czech Republic and Scotland v Croatia. If England lose by a big margin and either Croatia or Scotland win, they could be a very lowly 3rd place finisher.

Can be arsed to work it out now but finishing second or third might avoid some bigger teams.

England won't lose by a big margin  next game. It is at Wembley again and they don't conceed many there, they don't score many either. Another point will see England through.

It seems Englands strategy is to bore everyone to death before the inevitable exit to a half decent side.

Edited by Smoggy

Southgate has to take responsibility for that one.

Kane was poor against Croatia and again against Scotland. Still think that he’s only being played because he’s captain. Kane was never going to make quick runs in behind, so Scotland could play a relatively high line during England’s build up to take away all the space between the lines and Southgate took too long to fix it.

By the time he made the changes Rashford couldn’t get in behind as it was late enough for Scotland to play deep and try the counter. Grealish was great running at players and you could see the defence panic and stand off him every time he ran into the penalty area. He also won a lot of fouls but late in the game those stoppages took away all the momentum and ran the clock down. Plus with Kane off and Calvert-Lewin on the bench they no longer had the aerial threat for those set pieces.

Scotland were good in that they had a game plan and executed it well, but Southgate could have fixed it and didn’t. In games where England are the better team on paper he’s way too defensive. Didn’t see the need for both Rice and Phillips as a double pivot in this game. Or why more creative attackers like Grealish, Sancho and Bellingham are getting so few minutes.

50 minutes ago, Davo said:

Southgate has to take responsibility for that one.

Kane was poor against Croatia and again against Scotland. Still think that he’s only being played because he’s captain. Kane was never going to make quick runs in behind, so Scotland could play a relatively high line during England’s build up to take away all the space between the lines and Southgate took too long to fix it.

By the time he made the changes Rashford couldn’t get in behind as it was late enough for Scotland to play deep and try the counter. Grealish was great running at players and you could see the defence panic and stand off him every time he ran into the penalty area. He also won a lot of fouls but late in the game those stoppages took away all the momentum and ran the clock down. Plus with Kane off and Calvert-Lewin on the bench they no longer had the aerial threat for those set pieces.

Scotland were good in that they had a game plan and executed it well, but Southgate could have fixed it and didn’t. In games where England are the better team on paper he’s way too defensive. Didn’t see the need for both Rice and Phillips as a double pivot in this game. Or why more creative attackers like Grealish, Sancho and Bellingham are getting so few minutes.

It reminds me of some of the games when Southgate was manager of Middlesbrough in our EPL relegation year. We were relegated without a fight and with a whimper. England lacked drive, direction, desire and aggression. No real movement or looking to get behind Scotland.

It summed things up well when Grealish came on and accidentally passed to an England substitute warming up on the side line :D No other options lol

England are where i thought they would be after 2 games (4 points) but i thought they would draw against Croatia and beat Scotland.

10 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

It summed things up well when Grealish came on and accidentally passed to an England substitute warming up on the side line :D No other options lol

I think he saw the white socks !!

3 minutes ago, MartinTyler said:

I think he saw the white socks !!

Was funny whatever happened.

Southgate needs to start with Grealish next game.

49 minutes ago, MartinTyler said:

True but not instead of Foden

On a side badly lacking in any creativity you have got to find space for Grealish.

I thought Foden was the best of the front three. He was good against Croatia but was the first to be subbed off in that game too. In my opinion Southgate needs to drop Kane and decide whether he wants to get in behind teams playing a combination of Foden, Rashford, Sterling and Sancho, or playing a target man with a combination of Foden, Sterling, Calvert-Lewin and Grealish.

The draw makes things a little more tricky for the last group game. If England had won they’d be guaranteed top two in the group. They could legitimately rest a lot of players given how fast the games are coming, and dropping the game against the Czechs to finish second and avoid France/Portugal/Germany is no bad thing.

Now they’ll have no room for shenanigans and will need to field a reasonable team to get a result, as a loss could mean third and a game against Belgium or the Netherlands.

I wonder what the draw is paying? Czechs go though and England finish second. When a draw suits both teams in the last group game it tends to happen.

France should be a couple of goals up against Hungary, still 0-0 after 32min.

......and there you go, don't take your chances you pay the price and France just did. Had all the ball and zip. Hungary up 1-0 After 45+3