Research on fans' views of racism in the A-League

Dear all,

I have admin support to make this post.

I am an academic at the University of South Australia (my details are included at the beginning of the survey) and I am conducting some research on fans’ views of racism in the A-League. To do so, I have constructed an anonymous survey and it should only take a few minutes of your time to complete:

https://doit.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_eyd5NiGZu3V7jrU

Completing the survey is voluntary, but I hope you agree it is a topical study and I thank you in advance for your time.

Posted (edited)

I hope your survey includes racism in other codes as well.....ie Rugby ( NRL/Union ) and the AFL. I thought one or two of the questions were quite leading.

Racism in Australia is NOT just limited to Football. I would suggest that what happened to Adam Goodes would hint that the AFL have a lot more work to do than the A League.

Edited by sonar

I completed your survey, and could only report never having witnessing or hearing of racism at A League matches I have attended.

Since 2006, I've attended hundreds of A League games at venues in every state except Western Australia, and in NZ.

often celebrate  watching what appears to be the genuine friendship/ comradeship of players from diverse backgrounds who play together, in teams from all around the country. 

And I enjoy being surrounded by people from diverse backgrounds at games.

My observations (of zero examples of racism) made it hard to answer the final question.

All the best with your survey. I'd be interested in seeing the results.

Although I am curious as to why the A League, rather than codes like AFL, is the subject of your research.

:hi:

2 minutes ago, wendybr said:

I completed your survey, and could only report never having witnessing or hearing of racism in A League matches I have attended.

I've attended hundreds of A League games at venues in every state (and in New Zealand) except Western Australia since 2006.

often celebrate  watching what appears to be the genuine friendship/ comradeship of players from diverse backgrounds who play together in teams from all around the country. 

My observations made it hard to answer the final question.

All the best with your survey. I'd be interested in seeing the results.

Although I am curious as to why the A League, rather codes like AFL, is the subject of your research.

:hi:

AFL would certainty be more fertile ground for a survey of this kind.

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, marron said:

Not really, AFL doesn't have racism, or so I am told. Just hundreds of isolated incidents.

True, true..

Plus, if you started a survey of this kind with a focus on AFL every time you leave your house you will have this funny red dot on you...

Edited by Smoggy

I went to start the survey. But I'm not sure about the first question. So I didn't go any further. Is it asking whether I know there is a racism policy or whether I know what is in it?

11 minutes ago, Edinburgh said:

I went to start the survey. But I'm not sure about the first question. So I didn't go any further. Is it asking whether I know there is a racism policy or whether I know what is in it?

https://www.footballaustralia.com.au/sites/ffa/files/2017-09/National Member Protection Policy.pdf

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, theacademic said:

Many thanks to those who have completed the survey. The focus on the A-League is part of a wider project on Australian sport that includes the AFL. 

From a survey viewpoint would it have been better to include general questions about spectator racism in general ? There are many here that do follow more than 1 code of sport.

Edited by sonar

There was another incident in Adelaide in 2018 where Bonevacia (playing for WSW) said he was racially abused too.

Reds player Kusini Yengi was also racially abused online this year.

Perhaps the reason for the survey are that there have been a few incidents in Adelaide and the study is from University of South Australia.

50 minutes ago, Carns said:

There was another incident in Adelaide in 2018 where Bonevacia (playing for WSW) said he was racially abused too.

Perhaps the reason for the survey are that there have been a few incidents in Adelaide and the study is from University of South Australia.

Osama Malik also got it at Adelaide in 2012. But yea that is all the incidents I know on ground including the ones you listed. 

59 minutes ago, Carns said:

Brings to mind an incident that happened in a Test match I was at, at the Adelaide Oval......Aus  v West Indies....... when Alan Border was captain and the chant from the people in the outer....."Lara takes it up the *rse".....pissant town.

2 hours ago, Edinburgh said:

After completing the survey, I tend to agree. 

These things are never used for good, prob some "journalist" trying to make a name for themselves. This wouldn't have been allowed during the Rebecca Wilson (RIP) days.

Eh there's been some good stuff come out of WSU on us.

But I don't trust an AFL audience to self report accurately on their questionnaire. The propaganda machine is that strong that all they would see is that the AFL invented anti-racism (presumably to stamp out racism... outside the AFL.... ).