Squad Development 2021/22

56 minutes ago, theseeker said:

If Najjarine has signed that's two underwhelming recent signings.

Might I suggest a test to any future potential signings " Would  this player be able to secure a regular first team spot in this seasons top two teams ? "

If not , waste of a signing spot and move on  till one fits the criteria.

Can't find one ? Try harder or get out and give the job to someone who can.

I wouldn't say Adama Traore is. He was in a very poor squad and we needed someone at LB. Aquilina is good but is an RB your left with Wilmering who got found out a few times at LWB. Traore is the right player to get to strengthen that area. Najjarine well jury is still out I thought he was ok with Newcastle he did create opportunities. Plus no telling if Duke, Yeboah or Kamau will be back. If Kamau leaves Najjarine is a good back up.

12 minutes ago, Keithie said:

I reckon Troire is a sound signing not spectacular but he will make the left back position his.

Najjarine has the potential to become a very good player but it needs to be soon , I seen glimpses of it early in the last season , lets hope and have faith :) 

Do you reckon we might go for Antonis 

You have in two words encapsulated why this club is wallowing in mediocrity. " Sound" and

" potential"

" Sound  " is just not good enough , as with " potential ". Those type of signing won't cut it as being a top team.

For example Corica says he will sign a couple of new players. Reckon they won't be just " sound" or just have " potential"

18 minutes ago, theseeker said:

You have in two words encapsulated why this club is wallowing in mediocrity. " Sound" and

" potential"

" Sound  " is just not good enough , as with " potential ". Those type of signing won't cut it as being a top team.

For example Corica says he will sign a couple of new players. Reckon they won't be just " sound" or just have " potential"

It helps to be still playing with basically the team he inherited. Most of that team would be on decent loyalty deductions now.

28 minutes ago, theseeker said:

" potential"

That's three times now.. 

Exactly we have enough 'sound' players as it is, we should be getting potential out of youth setup

CR is obsessed with having a big squad, you don't need it in the A League it's a short season, we have no ACL to worry about. We need a strong starting XI and a couple of experienced players that are flexible, and then the kids...

Stop signing "ok" attackers how many players do we need to play roughly the same role?

Najerine

Kamau

Ibini

Yeboah

Triosi

All cover the same couple of positions (roughly) 

Last season we would see the CR three subs come on in the 70th minute, and it would make stuff all diference. Why would would it? What difference is swapping Ibini for Yeboah or vice-versa going to make? 

Like Kamau, Najjarine is able to take on a player and get around them. Most of our squad are unable to do this. Good signing. Hopefully it doesn’t mean Kamau is gone. 

Antonis is available and his younger brother plays in our NPL. Would be good to have him back as he can as a CAM or a deeper midfield role

compared to Macarthur who finished 6th at the end of the season and made the semis of the finals series, we have slow with new signings. Look at how Macarthur without season finishing had annouced Davilla, Noone and Danny De Silva, meanwhile we have resigned a youth product who we let go, who has shined during a dull season for Jets, and a defender from the team who leaked the most goals all season and came last!

16 minutes ago, tranquilo said:

compared to Macarthur who finished 6th at the end of the season and made the semis of the finals series, we have slow with new signings. Look at how Macarthur without season finishing had annouced Davilla, Noone and Danny De Silva, meanwhile we have resigned a youth product who we let go, who has shined during a dull season for Jets, and a defender from the team who leaked the most goals all season and came last!

I'm no big CR fan but I think he has a bunch of signings lined up, soon enough we'll see it.

3 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

I'm a huge massive big CR fan but I think he has a bunch of signings lined up including Antonis, soon enough we'll see it.

Hopefully! Love your passion for CR but it's dissapointing knowing Macarthur have recruited harded not accepting a semi final finish as good enough for their first season. Knowing that we still will have Ibini and Troisi with the ever reliable Mcgowan in the defence isn't a great motivation for the new season.

29 minutes ago, tranquilo said:

I can just imagine Wanderers fans on social media if we'd signed these 3:

Davilla - another Roly !!

Noone - 1 year too late

De Silva - can only shine under Staj

36 minutes ago, MartinTyler said:

I can just imagine Wanderers fans on social media if we'd signed these 3:

Davilla - another Roly !!

Noone - 1 year too late

De Silva - can only shine under Staj

Hahaha that the true supporter right there.

But if we compared Noone and Najjarine I would take Noone.

De Silva, you know its one of those ones where you don't know if its the coach, the system or just him finally putting it on the field.

Davilla my bias he is ace. 

17 minutes ago, Sithslayer1991 said:

Hahaha that the true supporter right there.

But if we compared Noone and Najjarine I would take Noone.

De Silva, you know its one of those ones where you don't know if its the coach, the system or just him finally putting it on the field.

Davilla my bias he is ace. 

I would use the word Davilla is a Sexual Soccerist, I'd have loved us to sign him.

2 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

I'm no big CR fan but I think he has a bunch of signings lined up, soon enough we'll see it.

Stringer, Can I have some of the drugs you're on please?

51 minutes ago, Westiesarebesties said:

McGowan to ISL is on the cards. Will be good to free up a spot in our leaky (Flood gate) defence

Make it happen please, but then we need to sign a decent replacement(s), not sure I have the confidence that will happen.

1 hour ago, StringerBellend said:

there may been an element of sarcasm in my post 

But I do think he’s got some soccerists lined up 

Thought there was, but I can't say I have any confidence in Carl, I think Kenny Miller if he was the boss would do a better job.

I have to say that Wanderers's fan are unbelievably patient in comparison to SFC's , or clubs  like Celtic, whose fans spit the dummy when they fail to win ten titles in a row.

If you want to experience total insanity have a look at the main Celtic forum, I thought that it would calm down after Ange's press conference but it seems to have kicked off again.

We (meaning the Wanderers fans generally ) are probably by comparison far too accepting of mediocrity at all levels of the club.

On 27/06/2021 at 10:00 PM, mack said:

Don't rate him much. He's played nearly 40 A-League games with almost zero impact (I think he's got one goal and a handful of assists). Says a lot about our vaunted academy that we'd bring him back because we don't have any other attacking midfielders on the books. His passing percentage in the opponents half is woeful and he did very little defensive work. It probably cements Troisi as the main attacking mid next year as well.

So Najjarine the dud 1 step away from playing for his country ,Olympic team train on hmmm gotta wonder !!!! 

Edited by Keithie

The key is Step 1 have a vision, whether we like the formation or not the gaffar has to build in the dressing room the idea that he thinks it will work. Not chopping and changing week to week but it must match the squad. As a Leeds fan, I loved the fact that no matter who we played Bielsa always had the belief that his tactics were right so the players bought into it. Then comes Step 2 getting the right team to match the vision which is what I don't think we had last season. Other teams have shown that the system works, our attack showed it did, it was just mainly the tracking back and easy giving away of set pieces which then snowballed with our poor defending of said set pieces which is simple u/12 training

I think Najjarine is a good signing. If I am interpreting the salary cap rules correctly, you can get exemptions for up to 13 players of 23 years of age or younger. This includes full exemptions for 4 home grown under 24y/o players, and $50 odd K exemptions (amounting to the minimum wage) from each of the salaries of up to 9 more under 24y/o's. Much better to use these exemptions on players who will actually get some game time rather than filling out the squad with youth that won't see a single minute.

As it stands, our 2021/2022 squad is stacked with defenders and defensive midfielders. The only forwards/attacking midfielders we have at the minute are Troisi and Ibini. We hope to resign Kamau, and Yeboah has not yet been released. All our other attacking players have left the club. There is clearly space for a number of attacking players to be added. They are not all going to be Fornarolis or Ninkovics. One or two would be nice though.

• mack locked this topic
  • mack unpinned this topic