Squad Development 2021/22

49 minutes ago, Johnny5isalive said:

Definitely in an ideal world, we would be able to recruit a additional experienced Australian keeper but at same time if we recruit an decent foreigner this would enable some competition with margush and hopefully push margush to push to new levels and continue his development 

Another option would be Lewis Italiano, released by Jets and is  free agent, currently returned  to perth 

I believe Italiano wanted to return to Perth where his family is. 

On 15/08/2021 at 10:46 PM, MathyouWSW said:

Having a marquee GK would be a waste in my opinion. I don't mind if money was spent on a CB.

In years gone by I’d agree whole heartedly. However there’s a few factors that make me rethink this.

- Apparently CR knows how to get the ball in the net. Being clinical in front of goal did hurt us though.

- we have a significantly improved midfield over last seasons absolute garbage

- defence has received some improvement, could do with another big CB as you say

For me that GK spot is crucial to winning seasons. If that’s our weak spot, and it can’t be filled by australian stocks, then have at it. Especially if we can find someone who’s a huge improvement ie Lopar. But we can do better than even him I think.

Keeping a goal out is worth the same as scoring one at the other end. 

All that said, if this is viewed as a build season by the club, then go with Margush

2 minutes ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

He'll fit perfectly in the squad then :lol:

I had successfully wiped him from my memory......until now 😬

Deadset he got used to get me so angry. Which is not good when you are watching a game at 2pm. Try going to sleep after some of those howlers 🤣

6 hours ago, MathyouWSW said:

I remember watching this game because Luongo was at QPR at the time. Couldn't stop laughing at it. 

Luckily, Leeds United won 3-1 that game.

I probably would have laughed too if it were an opposition keeper lol.

I recall another game he was having a shocker in an early kickoff - which he had sun in his eyes. So a fan leant him a hat to wear during the game lol  (very professional lol). 

Gladly those days are in the past for Leeds. I don't think i could handle him at wsw in the flesh 😬😬

1 hour ago, StringerBellend said:

Anyone remember Richard Wright, Everton signed him from Arsenal in the late 90s, highly rated 

he was dreadful 

injured himself in a warm up tripping over a sign that said don’t train here

He was a brilliant keeper whilst at Ipswich but Arsenal signed him and it was all downhill from there.

17 minutes ago, Jefski said:

He was a brilliant keeper whilst at Ipswich but Arsenal signed him and it was all downhill from there.

Yep that's the one, he came to Everton with high expectations, never reached them. I think he also got injured falling out of is loft at home, he was an absolute walking Accident Zone

Not the worst Everton keeper of that era, though. I remember in a injury crisis we signed Espen Baardsen on a short term loan, he let 4 goals in all howlers and was never seen again.

By god Everton signed some rubbish..

All that said Vedran's explosion from decent shot stopping RBB hero to his weekly brain explosions was quite spectacular. 

Edited by StringerBellend
4 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

Anyone remember Richard Wright, Everton signed him from Arsenal in the late 90s, highly rated 

he was dreadful 

injured himself in a warm up tripping over a sign that said don’t train here

Should have stuck to playing keyboard....:xnod:

8 hours ago, randy81 said:

I probably would have laughed too if it were an opposition keeper lol.

I recall another game he was having a shocker in an early kickoff - which he had sun in his eyes. So a fan leant him a hat to wear during the game lol  (very professional lol). 

Gladly those days are in the past for Leeds. I don't think i could handle him at wsw in the flesh 😬😬

One thing I miss about the early days of the A-League: goalkeepers wearing hats

Very A-League

3 minutes ago, FCB said:

We could do worse. Much worse. And we’ve been there in the past.

If it was 2-3 seasons ago it might've been alright.

However I do understand the fact it will be hard to bring in foreigners in from overseas this season.

I personally feel we need a Krishna-eque striker up front to partner Hemed.

17 minutes ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

If it was 2-3 seasons ago it might've been alright.

However I do understand the fact it will be hard to bring in foreigners in from overseas this season.

I personally feel we need a Krishna-eque striker up front to partner Hemed.

You don’t want single-point-of-failure situations. Not in goal, and not up front. He’d be a genuine backup for Hemed. If you feed a player like RoD he’ll score. 

• mack locked this topic
  • mack unpinned this topic