A-League Memberships & Attendances 2016/17

• 1 month later...

Reported Membership numbers

Melb Victory. 15685 (25 July 2016)

WS Wanderers 14179 (26 July 2016)

Others?

What was Melbourne's last year? I recall them being in the mid 20s a few years ago?
Here's the link http://www.fromthestandsal.com/membership-tracker/

Team. 2015-16. 2016-17(so far)

Melb vict. 27054. 15685

WSW. 18361. 14179

ESFC. 13153. 7044

Melb City. 9548. Not reported

Jets. 9266. 5764

Adelaide. 8750. 5320

Brisbane. 8112. Not reported

Perth. 7109. 4720

Mariners. 6059. Not reported

Phoenix. 5062. Not reported

• 2 weeks later...

From the A-League website this morning

melb vic 17654 (19394 from post above)

ws wand 15704 (15869 from WSW website)

Esfc 7770

Melb.city 6400

Newcast 6174 (6505 from Jets website)

Adelaide 5521

Perth 5120

Mariners 3624

Phoenix 1322

Brisbane not open yet

total 69289

The only numbers that are acceptable are ours, Victory, City are ok I guess if you figure they are on the up, and Newcastle.

The rest are not good enough. smurfs are an embarrassment. Adelaide and Perth should be doing better. Mariners and the Phoenix are lucky to be in the league.

"Fish where the fish are" says Gallop. What if they ain't biting champ? Don't tell me that Woolongong or Canberra, or probably a few other spots, couldn't get 5000 members if they engaged the community properly.

The only numbers that are acceptable are ours, Victory, City are ok I guess if you figure they are on the up, and Newcastle.

The rest are not good enough. smurfs are an embarrassment. Adelaide and Perth should be doing better. Mariners and the Phoenix are lucky to be in the league.

"Fish where the fish are" says Gallop. What if they ain't biting champ? Don't tell me that Woolongong or Canberra, or probably a few other spots, couldn't get 5000 members if they engaged the community properly.

or maybe ours and victory's number are exceptional. 

wtf is actually wrong with fc, banter aside there membership numbers are pathetic, they always try to put themselves on the same level as us and victory??? WTF is there membership team doing, the pathetic excuse of we only have large membership base because we have a small stadium is over, cant use that anymore so i would love to see what excuse they have now for simply not being good enough, serious questions need to be asked.

Southy your take? you honestly cant be happy with those numbers.

p.s anyone remember when the club was whinging about a third sydney team saying it would affect there numbers...well if you cant capitalize on the market you have then perhaps another club should be given a go. 

the wolves shown last night they would be a sustainable team in the aleague

I don't think the club is to blame, they're actually pretty proactive compared to the poor standard of advertising across the aleague and even advertise pretty regularly on the radio. It's all the 'fans' who only ever rock up to the derby that are letting them down. It must burn them badly because they genuinely believe that they're the biggest club in the league.

I think being 'for all of Sydney' hurts them big time. A few guys I know who have been members of the cove for years aren't renewing because they said it's just too hard trekking into Paddington from out here now that they've got families and growing commitments etc.

or maybe ours and victory's number are exceptional. 

There's no doubt that both us and Victory are doing well but many of the others are not. Just because two teams have half the memberships doesn't mean we are exceptional and the others acceptable. It could, but it all depends on your expectations I guess.

Newcastle/Maitland has 430,000 people and 6000 members. Perth have 2 million and Adelaide 1.3 million people, yet they have less members. These two cities in particular are not doing well enough. It's like they started off poorly in terms of member engagement and have never recovered. 

Central Coast are a small club, and many people, myself included, like them, but their leadership is poor and they need to do something to re-engage the community. My mum used to live there and she knows nothing about sport but would talk about how McKinna and others were out in the community, on local radio, at schools etc.

Wellington get 15,000 or however many it was to come when they look like getting kicked out, and now 1,000 members. 1000! I know that NZ had some tough employment stats a few years back and if that is still the reality they need to do something to make membership more attractive.

Brisbane we don't even know because their leadership is so poor. Sydney - who knows with that club. Probs the same as Adelaide and Perth - started poorly, never recovered. When you start the team as Bling FC, you are telling the public that we are going to be entertaining and give you razzamataz. That's no way to build a solid core of support. They've tried to change that image, but they really struggle for identity.

Whether or not you think we are exceptional and the others ok, or the others just average, or even poor, there is one truth here - memberships numbers do not necessarily follow population like the FFA think. Yes a larger population helps, but engagement and having an identity that the potential supporters connect with, is just as important.

Edited by btron3000

Phoenix 1322

Oh wow well I'm really glad they got their licence renewed now. I don't think any other Australian team could possibly beat those kind of numbers.

How long have they been on sale? From memory they normally open their memberships a bit later than most clubs.

Phoenix 1322

Oh wow well I'm really glad they got their licence renewed now. I don't think any other Australian team could possibly beat those kind of numbers.

How long have they been on sale? From memory they normally open their memberships a bit later than most clubs.

Even if this was the case, their shocking attendance average last season after they got their license review still frustrates me considerably. They got to stay even though by all accounts they shouldn't, so where the hell are their fans?

• mack unpinned this topic