Mitch Nichols Cocaine Incident

Might kill his career. Still under FFA jurisdiction until the end of the month. They'll ban him. Can't play in Europe until ban is lifted... *shrugs* If it's true then it's own dumb fault.

1 minute ago, Gazmon said:

Might kill his career. Still under FFA jurisdiction until the end of the month. They'll ban him. Can't play in Europe until ban is lifted... *shrugs* If it's true then it's own dumb fault.

If the FFA do that they're just being arseholes for the sake of it.

They should start the process, have a quiet word, and let him go.

6 minutes ago, Stokz said:

Off-season :xnod:

Party time. 

Yep. This is ridiculous. There absolutely must be a crackdown on at the moment. Malcolm Knox I think it was wrote a semi-satirical article the other day saying that cocaine should stick to media types and CEOs and stay away from NRL players. It's everywhere, and society needs to realise it and move on. These people aren't hurting anyone. It's not like they're robbing houses to pay for an addiction like a heroin junkie. Sportspeople especially are doing coke because alcohol has such a detrimental effect on their fitness.

To the public, its a drug and drugs are bad. 

My mate was in Goldie a few years ago, and made friends with one Nichols mates there while at GC nightclub. Nichols who was injured at the time, was hitting the snow that night too :)

7 minutes ago, btron3000 said:

If the FFA do that they're just being arseholes for the sake of it.

They should start the process, have a quiet word, and let him go.

He's still registered via the FFA until the end of the month, even though he was released from his contract with WSW. Not sure what the FFA are bound to do via the AFC and FIFA, but given the lacklustre approach by the NRL recently I can imagine it will be a serious punishment. I'm thinking probably 2-year suspension... But, we'll see what happens.

6 minutes ago, Stokz said:

To the public, its a drug and drugs are bad. 

My mate was in Goldie a few years ago, and made friends with one Nichols mates there while at GC nightclub. Nichols who was injured at the time, was hitting the snow that night too :)

Yeah it's bad to old people. Young people just liken it to pot or booze. Too much is a problem, but everyone's an adult and can work out their own situation.

That example of Mitch hitting it when injured shows the reason why he has good years and bad. He's not professional. That is an issue for his employer, not the FFA. I think the same for NRL - let the clubs sort out the social drugs, let the governing bodies deal with performance enhancing ones.

1 minute ago, btron3000 said:

Yeah it's bad to old people. Young people just liken it to pot or booze. Too much is a problem, but everyone's an adult and can work out their own situation.

That example of Mitch hitting it when injured shows the reason why he has good years and bad. He's not professional. That is an issue for his employer, not the FFA. I think the same for NRL - let the clubs sort out the social drugs, let the governing bodies deal with performance enhancing ones.

Agree on both points. 

The old people are a problem though, they are positions in power to make this issue way worse than it is.

as much as I like Mitch I reckon he will get a ban and a hefty one - we can't as a sport chuckle away at eggball ****wits and then just shrug and say 'society's problem' when its one of our own.

a trip to real world is also in order here too I reckon - I would be fired tomorrow from my job if it was me in his shoes

15 minutes ago, lloydy136 said:

a trip to real world is also in order here too I reckon - I would be fired tomorrow from my job if it was me in his shoes

In the "real world" most people are not fired for this. What is your job lloydy?

In the "real world" many people think it's a joke that social drugs are still illegal. But it's political suicide for a person in power to bring it up - they won't gain many votes but will lose a bunch.

In "the real world" half the people reporting these "crimes" are doing it themselves!

It's hypocrisy of the highest order.

16 minutes ago, btron3000 said:

In the "real world" most people are not fired for this. What is your job lloydy?

In the "real world" many people think it's a joke that social drugs are still illegal. But it's political suicide for a person in power to bring it up - they won't gain any votes but will lose many.

In "the real world" half the people reporting these "crimes" are doing it themselves!

It's hypocrisy of the highest order.

Many professions have a 'morals clause' in their employment contract. Some workplaces go even further - most of the mines drug/alcohol test regularly for example.

Edited by lloydy136
9 minutes ago, lloydy136 said:

I have a 'morals clause' in my employment contract as do many professions. Some workplaces go even further - most of the mines drug/alcohol test regularly for example.

Sure, I have a catch-all clause about bringing my workplace into disrepute. I'm not arguing under the terms of his contract they're not entitled to throw the book at him. My stance is that the whole thing is garbage. As individuals many people simply don't care if someone is having a line of coke, but as a society we lose our minds.

These are professional football players - they're not operating heavy machinery or putting someone in danger if they have a line of coke when not at work. If they take performance enhancing drugs they are gaining an unfair advantage. If they take social drugs they're only hurting themselves and their team if it affects their performance or they contribute to an unprofessional culture.

The whole thing is one giant facade. Everyone knows heaps of people do it. Everyone knows heaps of players do it. Many of the people reporting on it are doing it. Then everyone acts shocked and outraged and says "it's not his go" when someone is caught. 

42 minutes ago, btron3000 said:

In this wonderful Franchised sporting world we live in the governing body very much sees themselves as the 'employer'. Still, at least we know it wasn't performance enhancing !!

10 minutes ago, btron3000 said:

Sure, I have a catch-all clause about bringing my workplace into disrepute. I'm not arguing under the terms of his contract they're not entitled to throw the book at him. My stance is that the whole thing is garbage. As individuals many people simply don't care if someone is having a line of coke, but as a society we lose our minds.

These are professional football players - they're not operating heavy machinery or putting someone in danger if they have a line of coke when not at work. If they take performance enhancing drugs they are gaining an unfair advantage. If they take social drugs they're only hurting themselves and their team if it affects their performance or they contribute to an unprofessional culture.

The whole thing is one giant facade. Everyone knows heaps of people do it. Everyone knows heaps of players do it. Many of the people reporting on it are doing it. Then everyone acts shocked and outraged and says "it's not his go" when someone is caught. 

i think we are arguing different things. You are arguing the societal philosophy of how we deem some substances illegal or not. I don't really care to debate this on a football forum - but the reality is that nichols knows the rules and likely consequences in his job just as I do in mine and its beyond stupid to do what he has done knowing what is at stake for him.

Look at it this way - if someone made you the offer of being able to play football for 15 years instead of having a day job and all you had to do in return was not do illegal drugs- i reckon you could keep yourself clean knowing what was at stake regardless of how you viewed the overarching societal/legal values underpinning the system you were working in.

16 minutes ago, Upthehill said:

Mitch Nichols was just charged with cocaine possession. I reckon we can get him back cheaply HA!

I was under the mistaken impression that Butters opted out to "try his luck overseas". From today's story, it appears he was shown the door, yes?

1 minute ago, wswtragic said:

I was under the mistaken impression that Butters opted out to "try his luck overseas". From today's story, it appears he was shown the door, yes?

No idea. He appears to have behaved himself for 24 months which is longer than he has usually held out. Europe will be unlikely with a pending cocaine charge

9 minutes ago, wswtragic said:

Considering the incident happened last Saturday, he was already released

52 minutes ago, btron3000 said:

haven't seen anyone do that yet.

lets be honest - if there was ONE player in the WSW squad you had to pick as a cokehead it'd be nichols wouldn't it?