Jump to content
  • Sign in to follow this  

    A-League 2018/19 Draw Released


    mack

    The Western Sydney Wanderers will start their 2018/19 A-League campaign with a series of away games that begins against former manager Tony Popovic's new club Perth Glory on the 21st of October 2018. 

    Another early derby is up for grabs this season as well, with Sydney FC hosting the Wanderers at the Sydney Cricket Ground in Round 2, 27th of October. The Wanderers play their first 'home' game as a Community Round game in Mudgee against Brisbane Roar. The holiday period sees the Wanderers host Adelaide United on Boxing day before travelling to Melbourne City for New Years Day.

    The middle of the season sees some heavy fixture congestion in January, along with the chance to rack up frequent flyer miles as they play Perth away on the 13th, come back to Sydney to play Adelaide on the 18th before hading off to play Melbourne City then Brisbane Roar away on the 22nd & 25th respectively.

    Closing out the season are an away game to Newcastle on the 6th of March, a home derby against Sydney FC on the 13th, a trip to Gosford on the 20th before a potentially crucial home ending against Melbourne Victory on the 27th of March.

    Rounds 18 & 20 for the Wanderers are listed with a date to be confirmed, presumably due to the inability to find a timeslot at the allocated Spotless Stadium. Hopefully the club moves the games from that garbage stadium and plays them somewhere our patronage is valued.

    This season should be the last played at our hodgepodge of venues, with the new Western Sydney Stadium slated to be opened with more than enough time before the 2019/20 A-League season.

    The Wanderers start their competitive season on Matchday 4 of the FFA Cup Round of 32, facing Hellenic AC of Darwin at Darwin Football stadium on Tuesday the 7th of August.

    Sign in to follow this  


    User Feedback

    Recommended Comments



    I'd say can't wait till we are back at Parramatta without Soul-less.

    I am not too sure that we will be rid of ANZ though. I think the FFA want our derbies to still be there. There are only two words for the FFA eithet "Get lost" or ***k o**

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    The FFA doing the usual opening round shenanigans.

    Round 1 Melbourne Derby (Marvel/Etihad)

    Round 2 Sydney Derby (SCG)

     

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    So....they will let the Wanderers fans be allocated in the old  wooden members pavilion area at the SCG right? Can't see any issue with that....I can do posh areas sometimes....

    Edited by Smoggy

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    53 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

    I'd say can't wait till we are back at Parramatta without Soul-less.

    I am not too sure that we will be rid of ANZ though. I think the FFA want our derbies to still be there. There are only two words for the FFA eithet "Get lost" or ***k o**

    Do FFA dictate where teams play during the season? Or only finals? I always thought the club decided for the season. Not that they wouldn't be tempted for the cash.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    18 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

    So....they will let the Wanderers fans be allocated in the old  wooden members pavilion area at the SCG right? Can't see any issue with that....I can do posh areas sometimes....

    Probably not a good idea to give us anything wooden 

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    28 minutes ago, mack said:

    Gotta cram all these matches into the school holidays because reasons.

    Ah the 'family friendly' A-League. Can't wait to be out of SOP. SOP on a Friday night is bad enough - bad commute from the city, terrible commute from the West - we've suffered enough! 

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    28 minutes ago, Carns said:

    Do FFA dictate where teams play during the season? Or only finals? I always thought the club decided for the season. Not that they wouldn't be tempted for the cash.

    Had to speak to someone in memberships at the club a few weeks back and the discussion turned to SOP and derbies. There appears to be pressure to keep Sydney derbies at ANZ. Either that comes from within our club or from the FFA or it could be that SOP doesn't want to lose them. It was not clear who was pressuring the club to still use ANZ

    Edited by Paul01
    Added info

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    When we get to 14-16 teams and only play each team twice, they can GTFO of trying to get derbies to ANZ.

    Lost any home ground advantage playing there. Instead we should be getting 30k packed into Wanderland. City always host their derbies at AAMI, so can't see why we should have to move ours to ANZ in the future.

    Its a derby, its for 3 points. Its not a friggen spectacle to "showcase the league". FFA have nfi about football.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    2 minutes ago, beatsurrender said:

    Mudgee could be fun.  I went there once. It was closed.

    lol half decent Irish pub i seem to recall....had a meal there when last there.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Are the Wanderers the only team to not have a proper home game until round 5? Is it something to do with ground availability at Olympic Park, or just the FFA being the FFA (ie trying their best, but missing the mark)?

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    1 hour ago, Smoggy said:

    lol half decent Irish pub i seem to recall....had a meal there when last there.

    Lawson Park is a good feed. Big outdoor area.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    9 minutes ago, Generator said:

    Are the Wanderers the only team to not have a proper home game until round 5? Is it something to do with ground availability at Olympic Park, or just the FFA being the FFA (ie trying their best, but missing the mark)?

    Spotless unavailability 

    19-21st October  due to X-games

    9-11th November due to Irish Festival

    30th Nov - 9th Dec due to Pop-up Christmas Carnival

    14th Dec - 3rd Feb due to Big Bash League

    15-17th Feb due to Nitro Circus

    12-23 April due to Easter Show

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    Just now, Paul01 said:

    Spotless unavailability 

    19-21st October  due to X-games

    9-11th November due to Irish Festival

    30th Nov - 9th Dec due to Pop-up Christmas Carnival

    14th Dec - 3rd Feb due to Big Bash League

    15-17th Feb due to Nitro Circus

    12-23 April due to Easter Show

    Geez that sucks.

    We should have just picked Campbelltown or Penrith because SOP cannot hold up their end of the deal, despite ANZ being available.

    We so need Parra back. And when we are there, we'll rule.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    I was typing that :sorry:

    Anyway, you forgot ANZ, which is unavailable Fri 2nd Nov to Sun 4th because of Taylor Swift. :shout:

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    Just now, mack said:

    I was typing that :<

    Anyway, you forgot ANZ, which is unavailable Fri 2nd Nov to Sun 4th because of Taylor Swift.

    I was only looking at Soul-less

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Thanks, all! It’s good to know there’s a reason for the apparent madness 🙂.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    5 minutes ago, Wanderboy said:

    Geez that sucks.

    We should have just picked Campbelltown or Penrith because SOP cannot hold up their end of the deal, despite ANZ being available.

    We so need Parra back. And when we are there, we'll rule.

    I think SOPA have decided that we are too much trouble for the effort and have ditched us already.

    the club is going to have the same problem when Western Sydney Stadium opens as the SCG Trust is replaced by Venues NSW (responsible for SOP bookings and management)

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    10 minutes ago, mack said:

    I was typing that :sorry:

    Anyway, you forgot ANZ, which is unavailable Fri 2nd Nov to Sun 4th because of Taylor Swift. :shout:

    Followed by Bon Jovi.

    we get ANZ the next weekend for the Derby.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    Just now, Paul01 said:

    I think SOPA have decided that we are too much trouble for the effort and have ditched us already.

     

    I laugh at that.

    Seriously, what trouble have we been in reality? Compared to Australia's ideology of sit and clap at sporting events when there is a chant played over the loudspeakers, yeh sure, we have been a little bit different to what they have been used to in the past. By that I mean, 2000 people turning up to GWS games (announced as 10000), and the year after year of poor league attendances. 

    All of a sudden they have a team who's supporters are actually noisy. OMG. Better call in the Riot Squad.

     

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    2 minutes ago, Wanderboy said:

    I laugh at that.

    Seriously, what trouble have we been in reality? Compared to Australia's ideology of sit and clap at sporting events when there is a chant played over the loudspeakers, yeh sure, we have been a little bit different to what they have been used to in the past. By that I mean, 2000 people turning up to GWS games (announced as 10000), and the year after year of poor league attendances. 

    All of a sudden they have a team who's supporters are actually noisy. OMG. Better call in the Riot Squad.

     

    So true.

    But they couldn't handle 10,000 of us. If only Parramatta was ready. 

    The construction site has closed the southern carpark there so its getting closer but all depends on weather.

    It would be a hoot if Stuart Ayres was dumped at the next election (no matter who wins). But then his partner would use the defense establishment to find out who voted him out; his partner is the Minister for Defense Marise Payne. 

     

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Tbh I'm just not that excited about this season. Ol;y 4 games at Spotless (which I'm not a fan of, but at least there's some semblance of an atmosphere compared to ANZ). NINE games at the soulless hellhole that is ANZ. I think we're gonna be spending the season counting down the days till the new stadium opens.

    Of course if Babbel whips em into shape and gets them winning it will be more enjoyable.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites



    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now



  • Posts

×
×
  • Create New...