Melbourne Victory vs Western Sydney Wanderers 18/10/2019 7:30PM

Melbourne Victory vs Western Sydney Wanderers

melbourne_victory_logo.png VS western_sydney_logo_star.png

Date: 18/10/19
    Sydney Kick-Off Time: 7:30PM EDT
    Location: Melbourne, Victoria
    Stadium: Docklands Stadium

Tough game ahead. I hope Kamau, Ziegler and Yeboah are available for this game.

I would be happy if it ends up as a draw. I'll be over the moon if the Wanderers come home with the 3 points.

I feel Victory are the team to beat this season.

Babbel said in his press conference today that Elrich, Kamau and Ziegler are still out. Suggests Yeboah is back.

42 minutes ago, Davo said:

On the bench one would think unless Duke moves to AM.

5 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

On the bench one would think unless Duke moves to AM.

Yeah I'd be surprised if he started. We didn't have a full bench for the game against the Mariners so he'd probably just take that empty spot.

I'm curious to see what MB does this week. Same front three as last week? Meier off the bench and Adam starting? Grozos to start over Sullivan? Duke to play another 90 mins?

5 minutes ago, Davo said:

MB is a mystery.

However, I reckon Meier will start. Last Saturday was his first match in 5 months. He drew a lot of attention from the defenders, triple teamed and all. Another week of training with the rest of the team will help.

Grozos may still not start. Sullivan to hold the ball. I'm prepared to see what he can do since he has not seen much action like Meier (obviously not the  same quality) so long as McGowan defends. Russell into right back after the national team camp in the middle east with Georgievski back on his favourite left.

Adam and Grozos to come on at about the 70th minute and run at tired defenders. The last game I remember us coming from behind and winning was in SF against the Roar at Parramatta 1.0 and that could be the MB strategy.

But someone will have to mark Toivenen out of the game like Dellboy did for Heartle$$

I'd like to see Adam next to Meier this weekend, with Duke in behind replacing Sullivan. Duke's energy alone will create more than what Sullivan did in the first 65 mins.

Kosta and Yeboah can have 20-30 mins when Adam and Meier run out of puff and Duke and Yeboah can finish off the game up top.

Assuming Elrich, Georgievski, Kamau are all out, give the kids a go at wing back.

(I know DG isn't listed as injured, but I wouldn't be surprised if he misses this week)

Meier - Adam

Wonder if Muller will play this week

Meier and Muller up top with Duke in AM

Yeboah and Adam running at tired defence

Thats a lot of speed

Except for Meier.

17 minutes ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

I have a feeling Muller will be on the bench. He would've just come off a Bundesliga pre-season as well as training so I would assume he will be match fit. Could he get a direct flight from Germany to Melbourne instead?

God, I'd hope we didn't play him right after a 24hr flight. We can wait a week.

3 minutes ago, wswnick said:

God, I'd hope we didn't play him right after a 24hr flight. We can wait a week.

I could be wrong, but no way do I see him playing, after, as you say, the long flight. I can't see him landing before tomorrow, and our boys would be jetting off tomorrow night or Friday morning.

He'd only know the first names of about 3 players and the coach.

I don't think "Hey mate! Pass it to me" would work.

6 minutes ago, Wanderboy said:

He'd only know the first names of about 3 players and the coach.

I don't think "Hey mate! Pass it to me" would work.

Last 20mins of Derby might possibly be the first look, depending on how well he settles.

If he came on and scored a derby winner he would be fast tracked to instant legend status....

Edited by Smoggy

8 hours ago, Jowel said:

Pumped.

i’ll be heading down to Mexico for this one. Hope to see some of you there.

Keep in touch.  PMs might be best ax then I'll know there's a message

10 hours ago, MathyouWSW said:

Tough game ahead. I hope Kamau, Ziegler and Yeboah are available for this game.

I feel Victory are the team to beat this season.

Kamau and Ziegler are out injured.

From reports, Müller (not likely ready) and Ziggy (1 more week's rest) not expected to play with Grozos possibly replacing Sullivan.

Edited by Jefski
    Correction

I’ll be shocked if Meirer doesn’t start, makes no sense to start him last week and not this. If the goal is to get minutes into him and get the team used to playing with him then that won’t happen with him on the bench

grozos will start,

given how well willmerring played id imagine he will get start over Russell

10 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

grozos will start,

given how well willmerring played id imagine he will get start over Russell

Yeah, get as much time on the park into him & then unleash Mo when needed.

14 hours ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

Don't know how he'd be match. He's only played 20 minutes 5 months ago.

47 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

grozos will start,

given how well willmerring played id imagine he will get start over Russell

Wilmering starting over Russell is a no brain considering they don't play the same position.

2 minutes ago, DCWSW said:

Both play as a wing back. Whichever is chosen, Georgevski switches?

Given Russel is just back from national duty, if picked he would be on the bench at best. Unless Georgevski is out!

52 minutes ago, ManfredSchaefer said:

Yeah, get as much time on the park into him & then unleash Mo when needed.

Meier needs another 60mins min under his legs again and so needs to start.

MB will have been very relived to get the 3 points last week with the issues we had. We were playing without any pace, width and at least 3 under done on fitness. Those issues are not going to be fully resolved for tomorrow and think MB would take a point, as would i.

I just hope we've worked on positioning and communication this week (all over the pitch, but particularly in defence). CCM tore us apart more than once, and with Victory having a better attacking line up we'll be very vulnerable if the squad haven't improved.

Agree that Meier will start and would like to see Grozos get his chance at CAM.

A draw would be a good result considering our performance last week.

Doubt Muller will start given that he's not in the country yet and would be out of sorts at least for a couple of weeks.

If Yeboah is back up front then you could drop Duke into the role behind Meier and Yeboah on the left - or O'Sullivan behind Meier and Duke left and Yeboah right.

Our defence is what's going to get us a result out of this game for me.

10 minutes ago, NickNova said:

Our defence is what's going to get us a result out of this game for me.

Maybe I'm being a little too optimistic :ninja: but Victory aren't as potent as some folk have posited. Yes, they are a quality team however they too have a few injury outs and they are still to really gel under their new coach under proper match conditions. Perhaps our biggest problem is that mentally we've not really done enough in recent seasons to give them problems...they've either smashed us or held out against us.

I'd probably follow along the lines of what you've suggested Nick re Yeboah & Duke, with the probability that Yeboah comes off after say 60-70 minutes and Duke takes over whilst Grozos comes on. No reason why Wilmering shouldn't start either.

It's going to be a good test of both squads.

We haven't beaten MVC in nearly 4 years and I'm pretty sure we've only beaten them in Melbourne once, in our first season.

It's been a while.

Between our weird formation and injuries, I'm not confident.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Already have an account? Sign in here.

• Create New...