Jump to content
  • Sign in to follow this  

    Gombau Picks Up First Wanderers Win


    mack

    The Gombau Era has kicked off in earnest with the Wanderers taking all 3 points against an ill-disciplined Central Coast Mariners outfit tonight in Gosford.

    While the VAR will dominate the headlines after the Mariners finished the game with 9 men, the home side let themselves slip defensively before the referee was involved in the game and the Wanderers took advantage with two good goals. Josep Gombau elected to make 5 changes including bringing back talismanic striker Brendon Santalab, but his key decision was keeping young midfielder Keanu Baccus and he pulled the strings with a man of the match performance.

    Near on the half hour mark the Wanderers took the lead. From a Mariners corner, the Wanderers broke down the left with Mark Bridge, he cut back inside & looked for one of the two free Wanderers players. His pass picked out Santalab, with three touches to bring the ball down & head toward goal he unleashed a long strike at goal that curled past Ben Kennedy at the near post. It was a just reward for the Wanderers who looked far better than the Mariners, and were clearly determined to bring some respectability back to the side after their 5-0 derby hammering.

    The Mariners best chance of the half fell to Connor Pain who accidentally clipped a ball that nearly lobbed over Janjetovic only for the keeper to palm the ball away.

    The Wanderers kept up the pressure after returning from half-time and they doubled their lead in the 49th minute. Keanu Baccus danced merrily around a couple of Mariners defenders before finding Bridge, moved it on to Santalab, and with a cutback found Alvaro Cejudo absolutely free in the penalty area. The winger-come-midfielder took a easing touch onto his left then his shot gave Kennedy no chance at a save.

    While the Central Coast had the occasional foray into the Wanderers half their chances at getting a point from the match took a huge hit after a piece of defensive madness from Wout Brama. Having been kicking & shoving Roly Bonevacia all night, he tested the refrees patience one time too many with a studs up raking of the calf from behind. After initially giving the Mariner a yellow card, the VAR intervened to suggest that it could be worthy of a red card, and with the benefit of a pitchside replay, referee Alex King changed his mind & pulled out a straight red.

    The night went from bad to worse for the hosts in the 77th minute. Fullback Jake McGing was beaten for pace by substitute Kearyn Baccus and his awful lunging challenge caught the midfielder in the ankle. Once again the VAR was in play, and King reviewed the footage and went once again to the back pocket to send off McGing & put the Mariners down to 9 men.

    The Wanderers closed out the match comfortably, while some may have taken protest at their lack of initiative to seek a 3rd goal, after the start of the Gombau era the club simply needed little more than all three points and to get off the pitch without anyone else following McGing & Brama down the tunnel for an early shower.

    From the moment the VAR was introduced it's opponents have been belittled and called "conspiracy theorists" despite the clear bias the VAR has shown to the FFA's favoured clubs Melbourne City & Sydney FC. Suddenly tonight however, despite the earlier game having a much clearer failure of the VAR to fix an incorrect handball, only once the Wanderers were the beneficiary of the VAR has the media & other members of the A-League community turned against the VAR. Instead of Josep Gombau receiving praise for picking his first win, the attention will be on two VAR calls that were down to the simple fact that two Mariners players forgot how to tackle properly.

    In November when Cornthwaite was sent off for a clearly non-deliberate handball? We heard nothing. When Reira was pulled down in the box & VAR declined to award a penalty? Nothing. When Adelaide United scored with an offside player and VAR declined to overturn the goal? Nothing. When VAR missed Brosque handballing before awarding SFC a penalty? Nothing. When Milligan nearly broke Jumpei's leg and didn't receive so much as a yellow card that would have seen Melbourne Victory down to 9? Nothing.

    Nothing. Until tonight, the only major criticism of the VAR from media & those at a "high place" in football stemmed from the time taking to review things. But tonight it was different. Perhaps this will be a catalyst for the VAR to finally be removed, and hopefully with the end of the current FFA regieme at the hands of FIFA, a new set of referees & bosses at the FFA who can stamp out the horrendous bias they show in their decision making.

    The VAR is a blight on football and the trial should be immediately terminated.

    Sign in to follow this  


    User Feedback

    Recommended Comments



    5 hours ago, HillsPanther said:

    Didn't see the game, not much A-League coverage while I am here in South Africa. Good to see the Wanderers get a win, especially with a goal to Santa. Was the last 15 minutes as bad as everyone on facebook has been making out?

    Some people need to chill. It wasn't ideal but the team probably wanted a clean sheet more than a 3rd goal an so held on to the ball more. I had no real issue with if and given the position we had come from last week 3 points and a clean sheet was priority.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    One other thing about VAR - what’s with the little tv the ref runs over to, that is split into 4 pictures, underneath a plastic cover?!

    The ref is meant to make a decision based off that, while people at home are watching replays on big screen HD tvs!!

    The whole thing is an embarrassment.

     

    and oh yeah, Bridgey involved in both goals too!

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    7 minutes ago, Valter43 said:

    Even if nobody else in the clubs gets it, Santa does. He ****en bleeds red and black and that's why I love him so much. As much of a mongrel as he is on the pitch, he's very soft spoken and courteous in person.

    His yellow card meant a goal 

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    29 minutes ago, wanderersfanatic said:

    What on earth were we doing in the last 15min.. They were 2 men short and we were parking it... 

     

    It literally looked like this.. 

     

     

    lol

    Stringer also brought this up last night

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    We were better and least played like we cared but lucky CCM can't finish they had a few chances as well.  We are vulnerable when teams attack wide and go around us but the most concerning thing when that happens is our central marking, Aspro still tracks the ball like a 10yo and leaves his player free in the middle and our mids dont track back with their men, happens every time, Risdon got another booking and now and week off but looks like he needed it anyway, Jumpei, Cejudo have a few spark moments then 80mins of nothing and Roly, wow, he has been a serious disappointment.  It's a win but it wasn't really that much better other than it looked like we cared.  Last 5 mins was a joke but the officials had lost the plot, the CCM fans and bench were baying for blood and any tackle from us would of seen a send off, the game was destroyed by then and so better to keep the ball I reckon.

    VAR has to go simply because we cannot allow Sean Evans to now **** up two games every weekend instead of just his own..

    Edited by scarcev

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    10 hours ago, Horus said:

    The second was soft barely a yellow...but the first was a red for sure imo...raking studs up on the calf with the ball nowhere near should be a red every day of the week...except we see so much studs up garbage every week...so many cheap shots that when its blatant you get muppets like Slater talking about how everything is worse in slow motion (where was that logic for Cornflakes handball btw?), the VAR is a **** fight for sure - it just worked in our favour for once

     

    On a positive...so happy for Santa - he deserved a good result and surprise a better team selection resulted in a better result

     

    Not often do I support anything Slater says, but while I agree that strong action needs to be taken against studs up tackles, Bonavacia barely showed any reaction to this tackle, supporting Slater's statement that the tackle looked worse than it was,    For my money, referee got it right first time  - yellow was all that was needed.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    48 minutes ago, pseudonym said:

    lol

    Stringer also brought this up last night

    Although I just realised it would have even had the Spanish commentary going on as well 

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    1 hour ago, scarcev said:

    We were better and least played like we cared but lucky CCM can't finish they had a few chances as well.  We are vulnerable when teams attack wide and go around us but the most concerning thing when that happens is our central marking, Aspro still tracks the ball like a 10yo and leaves his player free in the middle and our mids dont track back with their men, happens every time, Risdon got another booking and now and week off but looks like he needed it anyway, Jumpei, Cejudo have a few spark moments then 80mins of nothing and Roly, wow, he has been a serious disappointment.  It's a win but it wasn't really that much better other than it looked like we cared.  Last 5 mins was a joke but the officials had lost the plot, the CCM fans and bench were baying for blood and any tackle from us would of seen a send off, the game was destroyed by then and so better to keep the ball I reckon.

    VAR has to go simply because we cannot allow Sean Evans to now **** up two games every weekend instead of just his own..

    I agree with you that our defence is our main problem. Although it did improve in that second half. Maybe instructions were given to our fullbacks to not to let the CCM wingers get in behind them, and for our central defenders to stop going back to  Vedran all the time.

    I think if we get anyone in the January window we need a quality central defender who can marshall the defence and give the other players confidence. We also need someone better on the wing than Jumpei who got pushed off the ball and was essentially a handicap for us.

    Also still haven't warmed to Riera. Something about his attitude I don't like. Not really a team player. However liking Cejudo more and more. 

    P.S - and how can you not love Santa. Cries last week and brings a victory home for us this week. You can't ask for any more.

    Edited by WestSyd

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    41 minutes ago, WestSyd said:

    I agree with you that our defence is our main problem. Although it did improve in that second half. Maybe instructions were given to our fullbacks to not to let the CCM wingers get in behind them, and for our central defenders to stop going back to  Vedran all the time.

    I think if we get anyone in the January window we need a quality central defender who can marshall the defence and give the other players confidence. We also need someone better on the wing than Jumpei who got pushed off the ball and was essentially a handicap for us.

    Also still haven't warmed to Riera. Something about his attitude I don't like. Not really a team player. However liking Cejudo more and more. 

    P.S - and how can you not love Santa. Cries last week and brings a victory home for us this week. You can't ask for any more.

    We need an Alberto type player, he was ace for us and would totally fit into the gombau philosphy 

    Don’t  agree Reira being selfish, he is always trying to hold the ball up and bring others into play, he also drops deep and goes looking for the ball. He’ll be a better player with Bridge around than Jumpei and sotirio 

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    39 minutes ago, 1988banana said:

    IN GOMBAU I TRUST ✋😎

    Sometimes when you're climbing a mountain, you think you've reached the top until you realise it's a false summit. This isn't me saying Gombau out or in but we are a long way from where we need to be, but I think it's clear now to our manager that a repeat of last week can never happen again.

    We made a step forward yesterday, but it isn't the finished product & there isn't a timeline on when it will be complete. It's too soon to say that I trust him (that's my view personally) because at a certain point in time when adapting to style, that excuse won't be good enough for lack of results. 

    Yesterday shows that there are certain players he feels can't work or won't work in his system, he definitely needs an offseason to bring not just his own players but ensure that the players can play his system/philosophy.

    Our best performance under Gombau? Sure but I didn't think we were 2-0 the better team. Positive signs and a clearer view than in past weeks of what he is trying to implement. Mariners too, that was probably the worst I've seen them play maybe came in a bit cocky looking at the ladder position but you can only play what you face.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Still playing Jumpei at right wing. Let’s see what happens when Sotirio is back from injury.

    bridge had his best game since returning so if he does well against the Jets next week, Sotirio and Jumpei will be fighting for the same spot. Cejudo , Bridge and Llorente didn’t get in each other’s way in this game.

    next week Hamill will have to be right-back with Risdon suspended, Cornthwaite (on 4 yellows) and Aspro to fight for the CB spot with Thwaite cementing his spot. Llorente to start again.

    Roly and Alvaro to keep their spots along with Baccus Jnr.

    only other change could be Riera for Santa.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    6 hours ago, Valter43 said:

    Even if nobody else in the clubs gets it, Santa does. He ****en bleeds red and black and that's why I love him so much. As much of a mongrel as he is on the pitch, he's very soft spoken and courteous in person.

    One of the nicest players that I have met. Always seems to have time for a chat with the fans.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    25 minutes ago, Prydzopolis said:

     

    Yesterday shows that there are certain players he feels can't work or won't work in his system, he definitely needs an offseason to bring not just his own players but ensure that the players can play his system/philosophy.

     

    I'm not so sure about this if the reports that missing training during the week results in being dropped to the bench or out of the squad,

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    43 minutes ago, Prydzopolis said:

    Sometimes when you're climbing a mountain, you think you've reached the top until you realise it's a false summit. This isn't me saying Gombau out or in but we are a long way from where we need to be, but I think it's clear now to our manager that a repeat of last week can never happen again.

    We made a step forward yesterday, but it isn't the finished product & there isn't a timeline on when it will be complete. It's too soon to say that I trust him (that's my view personally) because at a certain point in time when adapting to style, that excuse won't be good enough for lack of results. 

    Yesterday shows that there are certain players he feels can't work or won't work in his system, he definitely needs an offseason to bring not just his own players but ensure that the players can play his system/philosophy.

    Our best performance under Gombau? Sure but I didn't think we were 2-0 the better team. Positive signs and a clearer view than in past weeks of what he is trying to implement. Mariners too, that was probably the worst I've seen them play maybe came in a bit cocky looking at the ladder position but you can only play what you face.

    🙃👍

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Fairly easy win against the team that outplayed and humbled East Sydney only a few weeks ago, I'm happy last week was just the result of insane team choice.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    4 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

    We need an Alberto type player, he was ace for us and would totally fit into the gombau philosphy 

    Don’t  agree Reira being selfish, he is always trying to hold the ball up and bring others into play, he also drops deep and goes looking for the ball. He’ll be a better player with Bridge around than Jumpei and sotirio 

    Yeah, want to see a bit more of a Riera. Maybe it's just his body language and facial expressions which get me. Even after he got that yellow last night he went off at the ref for no reason. He got what he deserved. Dumb thing to do.

    Gombau philosophy? Hang on, wasn't 'philosophy' a dirty word here last week? ;) Although I really hope we stopping that term so often. Sounds like a Craig Foster convention.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    19 hours ago, mack said:

    only once the Wanderers were the beneficiary of the VAR has the media & other members of the A-League community turned against the VAR

     

    Lulz.

    For someone who watches and reads a lot of football media, and engages with many A-League fans on social media, you ignore a hell of a lot of football media and A-League fans.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    10 minutes ago, Couscous said:

    Lulz.

    For someone who watches and reads a lot of football media, and engages with many A-League fans on social media, you ignore a hell of a lot of football media and A-League fans.

    There has never been the weight of opposition as popped up last night. Never. People who were staunch VAR supporters turned after our game.

     

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    8 hours ago, Valter43 said:

    Even if nobody else in the clubs gets it, Santa does. He ****en bleeds red and black and that's why I love him so much. As much of a mongrel as he is on the pitch, he's very soft spoken and courteous in person.

    !00% - it pisses me off that officials are just waiting to pull out a card with Santa, if that was him kicking someone off the ball there would be no bs gray area, he'd be sent and given a long holiday by the FFA for disrepute...not that I think its in him to be a low **** like that...

    Off the field, the guy is such a great guy to the fans

    7 hours ago, Harv said:

    Not often do I support anything Slater says, but while I agree that strong action needs to be taken against studs up tackles, Bonavacia barely showed any reaction to this tackle, supporting Slater's statement that the tackle looked worse than it was,    For my money, referee got it right first time  - yellow was all that was needed.

    It shouldn't matter mate how Roly reacted - just because he was not to seriously hurt shouldn't mean Brama's brain snap is downgraded - studs up tackles are inherently dangerous   and should be judged harshly 

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Slater is an idiot.

    Okay, so someone goes in studs into Roly's calf and only gets a yellow because "Roly didn't react". Next time the guy goes in studs up into Roly and breaks his ankle, or cause an ACL injury, or gouges a huge hole in the back of his leg that requires surgery.

    Okon said the same stupid stuff in the press conference, that the Wanderers players didn't have a "violent reaction", if that's the standard so we should surround the ref any opposition player any time they make a foul?

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Remember when we were giving red cards left, right and centre last season, in relation to elbows making contact with players heads. They got rid of that pretty quickly because they realised that not every elbow touching a player's face is a send off offence. It became a farce. This will too. 

    Referees need to have a feel for the game and look at intention, force, recklessness etc. Otherwise we will have 5 v 6 in some games soon enough. Not every stud brushing a player's leg is a send off offence.  If everything came down to interpreting things in black and white, then we won't have any players left anymore.

    Edited by WestSyd

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Unfortunately slow-mo replays can show what may have happened or exaggerate an incident upwards or downwards.  A brush of the players leg with studs can look so much worse in slow-mo when they seem to rest on the leg longer.  Same with elbows in the head.  Is it a reflex reaction to someone pushing in your back to sweep someone away and glance the head more as a push or is it an intentional swinging hit in the head? When they stop the replay with the elbow on the head it looks so much worse than it often is in real life.  Who knows what the reality is with some of the reactions we see from players.  Berisha can roll 8-9 times when an opposition player gets too close and touches him.  Riera the other day (v Adelaide) pushed off a definite hold on his arm and pushed through it.  Carney would have gone to ground at the slightest touch.  How does a referee in the heat of the game watch a repeated slow-mo replay and make a real decision? Me thinks it is a joke that is no longer funny (if it ever was)!

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    The result upsets me in that it gives me Hope. I don't like Hope. Hope nearing Xmas is worser. Hope is that teasing flicker you know is gunner be extinguished. It's not fact it's Hope. Then it gets worser. In walks Destiny. I don't like Destiny either. Hope and Destiny should be characters in the Bold and Beautiful not part of our club. I don't like Santa. He gave us a goal a false xmas and in waltzed Hope and Destiny. 

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Aaahhhh..... Is it possible we can drop journos? We need to promote someone who can do a job, maybe from the youth team 

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    10 minutes ago, Prydzopolis said:

    Aaahhhh..... Is it possible we can drop journos? We need to promote someone who can do a job, maybe from the youth team 

    Especially Bossi

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites



    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...