Jump to content
  • Sign in to follow this  

    Jets Down Wanderers In Newcastle


    mack

    The Western Sydney Wanderers have been beaten by Newcastle Jets tonight as they suffered their 3rd A-league defeat in a row.

    Another controversial defeat, the Jets took advantage of lucky officiating to stay in the game until the second half where they opened the scoring in the 76th minute with a goalmouth scramble, and a 2nd late on from Dimi Petratos.

    Goalkeeper Daniel Lopar starred for the Wanderers, particularly in stopping the Jets strikers in multiple one-on-one situations. The first in the 15th minute was a right footed block against Jason Hoffman. Later on he used the opposite foot to deny Arroyo from an acute angle.

    Just like the week prior where the Wanderers were stuffed by a joke of a penalty call by an inept referee. Whereas last week they were punished by a non-penalty, this week they suffered from two obvious penalties in their favour being denied by Kurt Ams. Kwame Yeboah was clear through on goal when he was bought down from behind, Ams missed it completely, then ambled over for a VAR check that lasted about 2 seconds before denying the obvious penalty. Shortly after Nikolai Topor-Stanley should have given away another penalty for a stomp on the feet of the Wanderers attacker, but it was also waved away.

    The second half the Wanderers dominated the early stages, and were unlucky not to take the lead on the hour mark. Daniel Georgievski's short pass to Mitch Duke resulted in a first time right footed strike that Glenn Moss dove smartly for to deny, a follow up from Nicolai Muller was covered up once more by Moss and the last shot of the action was an acrobatic & inventive leaping kung-fu style front kick by Duke that blasted the ball over the top of the goal.

    Newcastle went in front in the 77th minute. After a dinked chip to the back post that was knocked down by a Jets attacker, Pirmin Schwegler stuck out a boot off-balance to prevent it reaching another Jets player only for it to fall to the feet of Angus Thurgate 3 yards from goal and he fired past Lopar. Newcastle sealed the game in the 85th minute, taking full advantage of Schwegler being kept off the pitch by the fourth official for a blood inspection despite him having already been cleaned up by the physio. After losing the ball in midfield, Newcastle dropped a long ball over the top of the stretched Wanderers defence, Thurgate timed his run well, drew Lopar out of goal and passed off to Dimi Petratos who tapped the ball into the open net.

    The Wanderers travel to Eden Park in New Zealand next week to face the Wellington Phoenix on Saturday December 7th.

    Edited by mack

    Sign in to follow this  


    User Feedback

    Recommended Comments



    1 minute ago, Neverbloom said:

    cant disagree with that, he clearly brought him down without touching the ball however we didnt lose because of that decision

    Wanderers definitely didn't play great but up until that point the jets had struggled to score. The decision (or non decision) was a game changer.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    VAR is there for the shocker. That wasn’t a shocker, that was a 50/50 call. 

    Tbh I thought Newy were pretty good. They looked dangerous on the counter & got behind us very easily. 

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    5 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

    We were ****.

    it wasn’t the ref 

    we were ****

    the second goal was shockingly bad 

    Indeed  we were...how i long for those great Newcastle away trips, lifting the plate there seems like in another life.

    The life was sucked out of the support when second went in...although kept on going.

    Lopar avoided a 5 or 6 something defeat, we were wasteful. There was an air of inevitability about it for me when they scored.

    Team of individuals is what we have and not sure they are confident in how to play / what style. At home for me we are really shyte to watch at times.

    This is where the manager makes his money.

    RIGHT off to ******* smash the breakfast buffet...laters......

    Edited by Smoggy

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    6 hours ago, Bellby said:

    VAR is there for the shocker. That wasn’t a shocker, that was a 50/50 call. 

    Yep, and therefore not worth overturning. The pantomime of the ref running to the sideline should be done away with, but that wasn't worth an overturn.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    9 hours ago, sonar said:

    I'm not Babbel out but there has to come a time when you question his tactics. It's still early and we can turn it around but at the present I'm thinking Meier and Muller have not been the signings we expected. We won't go anywhere untill we convert chances.....simple as that. 

    Lopar and Schwegler...great buys.......... Zeigler,Meier,Muller not so much. The visa players are the ones you expect to shine.They're not at present. 

    I'd give Muller a maximum of two matches in his favoured position to see if he improves playing there.   

    If there's not any improvement bench him and hope he's only here on a one year deal.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    7 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

    the second goal was shockingly bad 

    Both of our CBs turned and jogged back, allowing the goalscorer a tap in. Absolutely not acceptable. Mistakes will be made, but until the ball goes into the back of the net they need to be giving everything they have. I'd be tempted to drop both of them for that alone.

    Similarly, on one of the earlier Lopar saves Mcgowan was putting his hand up for offside instead of trying to run down the guy he had let in behind. You're a professional ******* footballer, play the whistle.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    10 hours ago, Beer said:

    Still waiting for the German Spin Doctor and his loathable ashamed-to-be-white sidekick to show face. 

    And for anyone wondering, no I do not take joy in watching us lose. I just wasn’t prepared to be sold magic beans by bottom feeders. 

    Take it easy cuz. They might have got carried away and oversold the team, but calling people bottom-feeders and ashamed-to-be-white is a bit much. Concentrate on their words regarding the team and not your (political) opinion of them in this thread, hey?

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Aside from catching up with mates and Lopar's keeping that was a shambles of an evening.

    - Poor support - where the hell was everyone?

    - poor football from both sides, real lack of quality, lots of turnover of possession, squandered chances etc

    - poor refereeing. I honestly thought the pen was 50/50 but for me it was just the maddening inconsistencies throughout the game both ways. I think I may have driven @theguyyouwishyouwerea bit mad last night with my constant reffing from the stands ;)

    - poor coaching. This is MB's team now he has who he wanted and got rid of who he didn't want. But I am often not seeing a coherent plan or style emerging. How are we trying to play? I honestly couldn't say atm. We have been patient through the gumby shambles, a rebuilding year with MB - it is time to start seeing some results because that was a tepid, uninspiring display and we seem to be going backwards.

    It's the hope that kills you - very demoralising.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    10 hours ago, Smoggy said:

    Also Interesting people walking around Newcastle after dark on a weeked aint there! Just walking back to where staying and shouted at twice...and i have NO idea what either were saying, hard to say if they were angry or happy :D

    If that is all you saw you are lucky.  At least you didn't get king hit by some random on the street.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    11 minutes ago, lloydy136 said:

    Aside from catching up with mates and Lopar's keeping that was a shambles of an evening.

    - Poor support - where the hell was everyone?

    - poor football from both sides, real lack of quality, lots of turnover of possession, squandered chances etc

    - poor refereeing. I honestly thought the pen was 50/50 but for me it was just the maddening inconsistencies throughout the game both ways. I think I may have driven @theguyyouwishyouwerea bit mad last night with my constant reffing from the stands ;)

    - poor coaching. This is MB's team now he has who he wanted and got rid of who he didn't want. But I am often not seeing a coherent plan or style emerging. How are we trying to play? I honestly couldn't say atm. We have been patient through the gumby shambles, a rebuilding year with MB - it is time to start seeing some results because that was a tepid, uninspiring display and we seem to be going backwards.

    It's the hope that kills you - very demoralising.

    It's the hope that keeps bringing us back each game....although it does tend to test the patience at times....:ninja:

    :D

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    53 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

    Turns out sharing a hotel floor ( and lift) with the lovely ladies of the Canberra United team who had a good win yesterday. Made room for me in lift with all their bags.

    Hopefully they r in the A-League when WU fail.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    32 minutes ago, btron3000 said:

     They might have got carried away and oversold  the team...

    I hope both return.

    Getting perhaps overly excited,  and overly optimistic, out of  their passion for the club, isn't something to hold against anyone.  Nor is feeling excited, and confident in the manager and the new signing at the start of this season, after the previous dire seasons we'd had.

    Both have been huge contributors here, and friends to many here.

    Hopefully they are back on the forums soon, and a few loose words in the past are forgotten.

     

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    5 minutes ago, wendybr said:

    I hope both return.

    Getting perhaps overly excited,  and overly optimistic, out of  their passion for the club, isn't something to hold against anyone.  Nor is feeling excited, and confident in the manager and the new signing at the start of this season, after the previous dire seasons we'd had.

    Both have been huge contributors here, and friends to many here.

    Hopefully they are back on the forums soon, and a few loose words in the past are forgotten.

     

    Can’t seem them coming back while nobheads are posting the crap that they are

     

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    9 minutes ago, LeeMarvin said:

    Am I right to suspect I might have seen some of the forumites from here in the stands on the Fox coverage?

    There was a few, it’s the best thing about this place, is the meeting up at aways 

    unfortunately this morning I’m also reading the worst of this place too 

    Edited by StringerBellend

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    10 hours ago, Beer said:

    Still waiting for the German Spin Doctor and his loathable ashamed-to-be-white sidekick to show face. 

    And for anyone wondering, no I do not take joy in watching us lose. I just wasn’t prepared to be sold magic beans by bottom feeders. 

    First thought after a disappointing loss: how can I use this defeat to slag off other fans of my team who I don't like.

    Have a word with yourself.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    59 minutes ago, btron3000 said:

    Both of our CBs turned and jogged back, allowing the goalscorer a tap in. Absolutely not acceptable. Mistakes will be made, but until the ball goes into the back of the net they need to be giving everything they have. I'd be tempted to drop both of them for that alone.

    Similarly, on one of the earlier Lopar saves Mcgowan was putting his hand up for offside instead of trying to run down the guy he had let in behind. You're a professional ******* footballer, play the whistle.

    Exactly 

    McGowan did the hand waving thing on the second goal too

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    28 minutes ago, wendybr said:

    I hope both return.

    Getting perhaps overly excited,  and overly optimistic, out of  their passion for the club, isn't something to hold against anyone.  Nor is feeling excited, and confident in the manager and the new signing at the start of this season, after the previous dire seasons we'd had.

    Both have been huge contributors here, and friends to many here.

    Hopefully they are back on the forums soon, and a few loose words in the past are forgotten.

     

    wendy...I don't condone or agree with the comments directed at them and think they are way over the top and uncalled for.......but they are also not blameless in their criticisms or put downs of others here who differ in opinion to them........just saying.

    Most of us here have gotten a little tetchy with others at time and I include myself in that.

    :wanderturtle:

    Edited by sonar

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

     Re current bad feelings amongst forumites...

    The pointed comments and insults have come from both sides...and yes, I do remember where this all started.

    But to keep our forums viable and strong, it's to be hoped we might get beyond the name calling and insults.

    The forum participation over the  last few weeks was surprisingly sluggish leading up to an away game at Newy.

    Many reasons for that I guess.

    But forum wars are probably not helping.

     

     

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    6 minutes ago, sonar said:

    wendy...I don't condone or agree with the comments directed at them and think they are way over the top and uncalled for.......but they are also not blameless in their criticisms or put downs of others here who differ in opinion to them........just saying.

    :wanderturtle:

    Hey Sonar

    Yes - know who started the name calling.

    But you just said what you wanted to say without directing an insult at anyone, or any name calling.

    That's all we need to do,  to hopefully move through this rather sad phase of our interactions here.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    11 minutes ago, sonar said:

    wendy...I don't condone or agree with the comments directed at them and think they are way over the top and uncalled for.......but they are also not blameless in their criticisms or put downs of others here who differ in opinion to them........just saying.

    :wanderturtle:

    I agree with this too.  They are valuable members of the forum and it's good to have different perspectives, but there have been times when they could have made their points with less attitude towards people.

    And I'm not saying this as an innocent party, there's times when I've been overly harsh towards people too.  And I've found that sometimes a little time away from social media is a good thing, as we know there is research around this and we're all starting to understand the way that it can impact your behaviour.

    So if they've taken a bit of time off, so be it. I hope they aren't waiting for the team to succeed before they come back. One of the important things of communication channels like social media that allow you free reign to vent with pretty much no comeuppance, is that you need to own your behaviour.  I'd like to hear what FCB thinks about the current state of the team. For one thing, he still has more of a pipeline to the team leadership than the rest of us. That's probably why he was drinking the kool aid so much in the first place.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    26 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

    Breakfast buffet report 

    Bacon 8/10

    mushrooms 8/10

    egg 7/10

    pastry selection an 8 too

    coffee is a 5

    Mine about the same..i am having a proper coffer by the river at min...should always be a food or drink report from away games. No laps of pool this morning as a bit grey.

    On WSW fan attendane..a good few scattered around the ground. Put is all in 1 bay we prob fill it. Was a disappointing turn out though.

    Edited by Smoggy

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    1 minute ago, Smoggy said:

    Mine about the same..i am having a proper coffer by the river at min...

    On WSW fan attendane..a good few scattered around the ground. Put is all in 1 bay we prob fill it. Was a disappointing turn out though.

    It may be more of a financial thing for people as well. Close to xmas and ,things are tight.....the cost of taking the family.......etc. The team being inconsistent doesn't help either.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    16 minutes ago, btron3000 said:

    I'd like to hear what FCB thinks about the current state of the team. For one thing, he still has more of a pipeline to the team leadership than the rest of us. That's probably why he was drinking the kool aid so much in the first place.

    Totally agree with your observation in the last sentence there, and with the rest of your post! :good:

    Both the people we're referring to are  "heart" people...they feel deeply about things, from what I have seen of them.

    Maybe there is still reason to believe in the optimism we had at the start of the season, and maybe they still feel it. If not, their disappointment must be strong.

    I'm glad you stepped up and started the discussion we're having, Btron, which is awkward. 

    PS I feel bad to be discussing other people here - I don't like doing that, and don't usually do it.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites



    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...