Jump to content
  • Sign in to follow this  

    Jets Soar On Plastic Not So Fantastic Pitch


    mack

    Newcastle Jets ran out comfortable 2-0 winners against Western Sydney Wanderers, as the home side failed to find the back of the net, with the game being played on an abysmal debris covered surface.

    All the talk in the pre-game was about the disgraceful playing surface offered by the stadium. After a music concert a week ago, it became clear the ground had failed to clean up the facility before the Wanderers game. An inspection of the pitch found shards of broken plastic cups, and Newcastle coach Ernie Merrick had added to his collection of plastic with a metal screw he'd recovered from the pitch. Despite the clear potential for player safety to be impacted, the FFA Match Commissioner decided to play the match as scheduled.

    10 minutes in the Wanderers should have taken the lead. Josh Risdon burst down the right flank, and with some fancy footwork launched a cross to the far post. Abraham Majok was practically standing on the goal-line, and somehow managed to get his body position all wrong, and turned what should have been a simple header, into a weak nod that Glen Moss cleared off the line.

    Instead it was Newcastle who opened the scoring. Nikolai Topor-Stanley broke from a misplaced free kick, and tucked the ball inside, Jason Hoffman made a smart run, and his touch took the ball past Vedran Janjetovic, perhaps with the assistance of Tarek Elrich for what might be claimed an own goal.

    With 5 minutes left in the half, Newcastle relaxed in defence, and allowed Llorente time to fire a cross to the back post. Oriol Riera had peeled away from his marker, and with Moss completely misjudging the flight in the gale force winds, Riera had an open goal, only to smash the header the wrong side of the post. It was a golden chance, a sitter, and a marquee player shouldn't be missing from point blank range.

    The second half was a litany of Wanderers efforts where decent build up was ruined in the penalty area, as cross were hit into the stands, passes went to the sideline or a Newcastle player, and first touches were so poor that they ruined the chance. Majok had one such heavy touch around the Jets keeper, and he couldn't complete from the tight angle.

    Newcastle threatened a second on the counter for the last quarter of the game, and they finally converted one of their breaks in the 93rd minute, bombing forward in a blistering attack lead by Petratos that Vargas emphatically finished to win the game 2-0. It was another typical Wanderers loss, looking okay in the middle of the pitch but poor at either end.

    The Wanderers play Melbourne Victory in Melbourne next week.

    Sign in to follow this  


    User Feedback

    Recommended Comments



    Majok/Sotirio are just keeping the spot warm for Roberts. 

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Agree with the above from SW 

    the 2nd half was enjoyable in terms of dominating the game and the rbb was great the capo did a great job of getting the non actives around the stadium involved 

    we are guilty of not being clinical and still sloppy at the back at times - for me the derby in a few weeks is the game where if we lose that by 2-3 goals then you ask questions of the Coaching regime still too early 

    on another tight we score 4 last night move on 

    and for those who continue to try and bring Win their babbel debates and bring popa into it seriously its done time to move on I mean every week the same ******* post move on - it’s bad enough we go to SOULESS to experience the game **** then coming her post a game to hear the same **** 

    popa is top of the league in Perth he is history in terms of wsw focus on the future 

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    27 minutes ago, StillWandering said:

    Didn't get the result but playing a **** load better then last year. Give the coach and players a chance. RBB was great fun. Hasn't been that good in a long time and the stand in capo can take the credit becuase his enthusiam really made a difference. I'm disappointed with the result but the teams actually showing potential so lets not start crying like little bitches just yet. 

    Stop talking sense 

    This is the internet, going totally over the top is what it’s for!

    I think Spotless sucked every ounce of positivity out of me, I’m probably guilty of whining like a bitch last night 

    Thank f it’s only one more season as that shithole is going to be the death of the club 

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    25 minutes ago, GD07 said:

    Majok/Sotirio are just keeping the spot warm for Roberts. 

    Ehhh I’ll believe it when I see it

    I remember a few seasons ago everyone was saying how good this 16 year old Dan Alessi was when he kept ADP quiet in a derby, or how J Aspro was the long term solution to our CB woes, or when top scorer in the youth league or whatever Mr. Lachlan Scott was gonna rip it up if he only got his chance at A-League level, or when Steve Kuzmanovski was our golden child in the WSW youth program who would stepover and dribble his way to many, many goals

    Honourable mentions as well to Alusine Fofanah, Yianni Perkatis, and Liam Youlley who were all at one stage touted as the future club captain and mainstay of the starting XI after a few more years of development 

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    9 minutes ago, Unlimited said:

    Ehhh I’ll believe it when I see it

    I remember a few seasons ago everyone was saying how good this 16 year old Dan Alessi was when he kept ADP quiet in a derby, or how J Aspro was the long term solution to our CB woes, or when top scorer in the youth league or whatever Mr. Lachlan Scott was gonna rip it up if he only got his chance at A-League level, or when Steve Kuzmanovski was our golden child in the WSW youth program who would stepover and dribble his way to many, many goals

    Honourable mentions as well to Alusine Fofanah, Yianni Perkatis, and Liam Youlley who were all at one stage touted as the future club captain and mainstay of the starting XI after a few more years of development 

    You of all people, are testimony that some times the impossible happens 

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Ran into Mr Risdon on King St in Newtown today. Told him he did a great job last night, and he said he appreciated the support. We may not always get the result we think we deserve as a team, but it's important to sometimes let people know at an individual level they are valued. Collectively it achieves a lot.

    PS. I think given I'm 6ft 90kgs I may have scared the little guy a bit.

     

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    1 hour ago, Unlimited said:

    Ehhh I’ll believe it when I see it

    I remember a few seasons ago everyone was saying how good this 16 year old Dan Alessi was when he kept ADP quiet in a derby, or how J Aspro was the long term solution to our CB woes, or when top scorer in the youth league or whatever Mr. Lachlan Scott was gonna rip it up if he only got his chance at A-League level, or when Steve Kuzmanovski was our golden child in the WSW youth program who would stepover and dribble his way to many, many goals

    Honourable mentions as well to Alusine Fofanah, Yianni Perkatis, and Liam Youlley who were all at one stage touted as the future club captain and mainstay of the starting XI after a few more years of development 

    i remember when L. Scott was the next best thing.........how'd that work out for us?

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    All being said here, so not a lot more to add, except i thought Elrich was attacking mid field in the second half last night, a few determined forays right up to opposition D and almost got a few shots off.

    Is Babbel giving him license to do that or was he just exploiting space ahead of him?

     

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    2 hours ago, Swarth said:

    i remember when L. Scott was the next best thing.........how'd that work out for us?

    We need to be asking why these players aren't developing.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    1 minute ago, hawks2767 said:

    We need to be asking why these players aren't developing.

    completely agree, this isnt a coach vs coach thing either for me we have had many promising young players who did nothing, though i think majok has a tonne of potential lets just see if it turns into something other than that

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    14 minutes ago, hawks2767 said:

    We need to be asking why these players aren't developing.

    Because the A-League isn't an amateur or even semi-pro league. As a general rule the quality of a youth system reaches a similar level to the league the club plays for, and across the world, even the best academy systems don't product a huge amount of players for their first teams.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    13 hours ago, Smoggy said:

    Yes we missed Roly and Majok and Riera have to put their hands up and say just not good enough. 

    Can't blame the guy who has had his first start in 3 seasons, raw af.

    Riera on the other hand, no excuses :acute:

    6 hours ago, mack said:

    I think it is a bit unfair, it was a really good reaction save from 2 yards away, and just unlucky that it spun into goal.

    Yep harsh smogster, he got an incredible hand to the ball & unlucky not to push it a bit wider. Reminded of derby when a man in our box manages to find acres of room. Blame the marking not the keeper

    37 minutes ago, hawks2767 said:

    We need to be asking why these players aren't developing.

    The gap between NPL2 to AL is too big, players like Majok needed to be playing all year round not just bench appearances for 3-4 years. Very hard to make the step up without experience. Second division will help give these players opportunities to get the experience needed.

    ----------------

    We need to bring in a term we use in the whole new vs old sokkah, we've got the popa syncopates and the gumby bitters. Crazy to think people are already questioning Babbel, the boys look good together & not too far away from turning promising performances into results. If this continues I feel we will finish outside the six but there is lots to be excited about with Babbel 

    ps. Mack I'm putting you in the gumby bitters group :lol:

    --------------

    Newcastle were second best but what we did in S1 & 2 so well where we absorbed pressure & take our chances on the break. Newcastle scored their goal with their first look at goal after 25 minutes & then the second in the 3/4 minute of injury time when we were playing 2 at the back. If you didn't watch the game then you'd think the 0-2 loss was much worse than it was. Also, when were they parking the bus? I think they started after their goal, wasting time at goal kicks, injuries, throw ins, ball to the corners, pretty much every opportunity available after they scored. Not criticism but true professional performance from them, they might not have deserved the win but they earnt it.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    How good was the referee last night, shame we actually have to import them in from overseas to actually get a decent one :lol:

     

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    28 minutes ago, Prydzopolis said:

    We need to bring in a term we use in the whole new vs old sokkah, we've got the popa syncopates and the gumby bitters. Crazy to think people are already questioning Babbel, the boys look good together & not too far away from turning promising performances into results. If this continues I feel we will finish outside the six but there is lots to be excited about with Babbel 

    ps. Mack I'm putting you in the gumby bitters group :lol:

    Hahah. I'm not bitter, I just think it's fun to hold Babbel to the same standard that some WSW supporters were holding Gombau to, especially since Babbel signed for WSW over 6 months ago while Gombau's entire tenure lasted 5 months all the while the media were calling him a bus driver and a fraud.

    We were promised a German Ubercoach who could do as good if not better than what Merrick did last year at Newcastle, and Babbel would win games and make us a top 2 team again with the squad we already had, instead of like that awful Gombau who got smashed in Sydney Derbies, lost control of the players, didn't care about the youth team and finished 7th.

    I don't think the club would sack Babbel. I don't think it'd even happen if we finished 8th.

    I think the board will chalk off the season and give Babbel the chance to completely clear the decks of the foreign players if he feels like, I suspect Llorente & Roly are done, it might be time to offer Riera a normal non-marquee contract or let Babbel find a new striker and then Baumjohann is a 50/50 so far (Ziggy will be Australian by the end of the season I assume). Hopefully we finally get rid of Sotirio, Bridge will be done, Mahazi the stop-gap should go, Risdon will take a crack overseas or find a better paying club, then all the Gombau signings (Kamau, Nizic, Tongyik, Elrich, O'Doherty, Fitzgerald) might be offered out to other clubs.

    And then it will be fully on Babbel to perform in the first season back at Parramatta.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    4 minutes ago, mack said:

     awful Gombau who got smashed in Sydney Derbies, lost control of the players, didn't care about the youth team and finished 7th.

    Finally we agree :)

     

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    1 hour ago, mack said:

    We were promised a German Ubercoach who could do as good if not better than what Merrick did last year at Newcastle

    We were?

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Attention: Ground Staff at Spotless Stadium.

    Please give the ground staff at Kogarah Jubilee Oval a call and get some ******* tips on how to prepare a football pitch.

    Dickheads.

    Edited by Wanderboy

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    Just now, Wanderboy said:

    Attention: Ground Staff at Spotless Stadium.

    Please give the ground staff at Kogarah Jubilee Oval a call and get some ******* tips on how to prepare a football pitch

    Dickheads.

    I don’t think I can bring myself to watch that game, I’m depressed enough already

    leichhardt and jubilee will be better than their normal home ground while we are stuck with spotless and anz 

    our problem is the non attending members, we didn’t do Penrith or Campbelltown so we could have reserved seats for members who never show 

    Friday’s crowd could have fitted in to Marconi 

     

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    2 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

    I don’t think I can bring myself to watch that game, I’m depressed enough already

    leichhardt and jubilee will be better than their normal home ground while we are stuck with spotless and anz 

    our problem is the non attending members, we didn’t do Penrith or Campbelltown so we could have reserved seats for members who never show 

    Friday’s crowd could have fitted in to Marconi 

     

    I would like to hope the club are going hard at the RAS management and refusing to pay full dollar after what they dished up on Friday night.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    3 minutes ago, Wanderboy said:

    I would like to hope the club are going hard at the RAS management and refusing to pay full dollar after what they dished up on Friday night.

    I’d like to hope that the club are exploring options to move the remaining spotless games 

    but they aren’t are they? 

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    28 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

    I’d like to hope that the club are exploring options to move the remaining spotless games 

    but they aren’t are they? 

    The contract is still in place. I am curious whether there were any clauses regarding quality of the pitch though, and whether that is grounds for contract termination? Or just compensation? It is clear that they don't give a **** about WSW, so we may as well be demanding fair recompense for the **** they deliver.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    4 hours ago, Carns said:

    The contract is still in place. I am curious whether there were any clauses regarding quality of the pitch though, and whether that is grounds for contract termination? Or just compensation? It is clear that they don't give a **** about WSW, so we may as well be demanding fair recompense for the **** they deliver.

    There must be, as we moved a game last due to the pitch

    Edited by dcrow

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    32 minutes ago, dcrow said:

    There must be, as we moved a game last due to the pitch

    The contract is with Sydney Olympic Park Authority which controls the Souless and ANZ.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    29 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

    The contract is with Sydney Olympic Park Authority which controls the Souless and ANZ.

    SOPA doesn't control the grounds only the precinct. Spotless is controlled by Royal Agricultural Society of NSW and ANZ is Venues Live.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    On 24/11/2018 at 10:32 PM, mack said:

    Hahah. I'm not bitter, I just think it's fun to hold Babbel to the same standard that some WSW supporters were holding Gombau to, especially since Babbel signed for WSW over 6 months ago while Gombau's entire tenure lasted 5 months all the while the media were calling him a bus driver and a fraud.

    We were promised a German Ubercoach who could do as good if not better than what Merrick did last year at Newcastle, and Babbel would win games and make us a top 2 team again with the squad we already had, instead of like that awful Gombau who got smashed in Sydney Derbies, lost control of the players, didn't care about the youth team and finished 7th.

    I don't think the club would sack Babbel. I don't think it'd even happen if we finished 8th.

    I think the board will chalk off the season and give Babbel the chance to completely clear the decks of the foreign players if he feels like, I suspect Llorente & Roly are done, it might be time to offer Riera a normal non-marquee contract or let Babbel find a new striker and then Baumjohann is a 50/50 so far (Ziggy will be Australian by the end of the season I assume). Hopefully we finally get rid of Sotirio, Bridge will be done, Mahazi the stop-gap should go, Risdon will take a crack overseas or find a better paying club, then all the Gombau signings (Kamau, Nizic, Tongyik, Elrich, O'Doherty, Fitzgerald) might be offered out to other clubs.

    And then it will be fully on Babbel to perform in the first season back at Parramatta.

    Just shows how uninformed most forum members on here are or they are being fed what to say by mr tittysimos.

    All the above players were signed by tittysimos and Gombau had no say in it. Mahazi was also signed by tittysimos.

    Babel is a yes man and will do as he is told. A few players have already open their mouhs. A few more losses and there will be chaos. Bridgy, roley and riera cant keep quiet for long.

     

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Lose next week and we're probably going to be 11 points off first place unless Wellington by some miracle hold off Perth.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    14 hours ago, Carns said:

    The contract is still in place. I am curious whether there were any clauses regarding quality of the pitch though, and whether that is grounds for contract termination? Or just compensation? It is clear that they don't give a **** about WSW, so we may as well be demanding fair recompense for the **** they deliver.

    Nothing will come of it because incidents like this have become the norm in Australia and the stadium operators don’t give a **** about anyone. As long as they pack in as many tenants as possible and make money, the quality of the pitches remain a secondary consideration.

    This is all because the government refuse to acknowledge traditional suburban stadiums anymore. We end up with these generic concrete venues that are built to house as many tenants as possible yet suit no one and teams are herded into them like cattle.

    Could you imagine them dishing up this sort of rubbish so frequently overseas? Even just from a general pride point of view, there doesn’t seem to be any...

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    13 hours ago, Golgol said:

    Just shows how uninformed most forum members on here are or they are being fed what to say by mr tittysimos.

    All the above players were signed by tittysimos and Gombau had no say in it. Mahazi was also signed by tittysimos.

    Babel is a yes man and will do as he is told. A few players have already open their mouhs. A few more losses and there will be chaos. Bridgy, roley and riera cant keep quiet for long.

     

    Lucky we now have you to keep us informed :xnod:

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites



    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now



×