Jump to content
  • Sign in to follow this  

    Last ANZ Derby Drawn


    mack

    The last Sydney Derby of the Wanderers nomadic three year existence away from Parramatta ended in a 1-1 draw with a goal in each half.

    In front of a 21,000 strong crowd, Sydney FC opened the scoring 7 minutes in. When Alexander Baumjohann and Keanu Baccus made a mess of possession in midfield, Anthony Caceres released Alex Brosque who fired a low left footed shot from the edge of the area past Vedran Janjetovic.

    With the Wanderers looking the better of the two sides after half-time, the Wanderers equalised in the 57th minute. Baumjohann stepped up to take a free kick just outside the edge of the area after a Brandon O'Neill foul. Off a short run he blasted at the parted wall and it took a deflection off Adam LeFondre and beat Andrew Redmayne in goal.

    Around the hour mark Baumjohann found Oriol Riera with a looping cross, the marquee striker rose for an uncontested header from point blank range but only nodded the ball onto the base of the post and away from goal.

    Deep into stoppage time Giancarlo Gallifuoco delivered an outstanding cross into the middle of the area for Abraham Majok but the striker's touch took the ball over the bar, and he may have been offside in any case. The final action came from LeFondre as he curled a wonderful strike towards the top far corner only to have it tipped around the post by Janjetovic. The draw means that Perth Glory have one hand on the Premiers plate going into their match against Newcastle tomorrow, 

    The Wanderers play Central Coast Mariners on Saturday 20 April in Gosford.

    Edited by mack

    Sign in to follow this  


    User Feedback

    Recommended Comments



    We were unlucky, should of probably got 3 points but cannot fault the lack of effort from the boys.  Thought our defence did well considering they had a yellow each after 15mins, was surprised how well GG played and Duke can become one of our all time greats, only 28yo and can build a team around him. I cannot understand the obsession with ABJ, sure with the ball at his feet he is magical but off the ball he tracks back like that 100kg Sunday league striker, nearly cost us dearly twice before he went off. Vedran well yea he pulled off a good save but he should of done better with the goal, he wasn't near where he should of been, the ball went in a metre from the post and he couldn't get a paw on it.  Llorente worked his hole out tonight and Riera did as well but when the chance came he should of buried that.  Majok should of stayed on the bench and Bridge yea love ya mate but he was a liability, our subs didn't really add anything last night and if they had of we could of won that easily.  Anyway better than I thought and positive signs,frothing for next year already, going to be a long off season.

    ******* great to see the RBB BRB 

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    1 hour ago, Paul01 said:

     

    Treejack was hacked mercilessly by the Smurfs and Evans did nothing about it.

    Yet again, Brosque doesn't get a card for dissent. The A-league referees make it hard for the grassroots refs when they fail to show that they enforce the laws of the Game. Didn't see the elbow on Roly but in most circumstances an an elbow yo the head is a yellow card. Plus the danger two-footed tackle in the second half should have red. 

    But the Smurfs are the darlings of the FFA, what else should I expect.

    ABJ gets hacked predominantly because he holds the ball for too long. 

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    11 minutes ago, scarcev said:

    We were unlucky, should of probably got 3 points but cannot fault the lack of effort from the boys.  Thought our defence did well considering they had a yellow each after 15mins, was surprised how well GG played and Duke can become one of our all time greats, only 28yo and can build a team around him. I cannot understand the obsession with ABJ, sure with the ball at his feet he is magical but off the ball he tracks back like that 100kg Sunday league striker, nearly cost us dearly twice before he went off. Vedran well yea he pulled off a good save but he should of done better with the goal, he wasn't near where he should of been, the ball went in a metre from the post and he couldn't get a paw on it.  Llorente worked his hole out tonight and Riera did as well but when the chance came he should of buried that.  Majok should of stayed on the bench and Bridge yea love ya mate but he was a liability, our subs didn't really add anything last night and if they had of we could of won that easily.  Anyway better than I thought and positive signs,frothing for next year already, going to be a long off season.

    ******* great to see the RBB BRB 

    Hehehe...you're sounding like Robbie Shoulda Done Better Slater. :cheeky:

     

    Sorry...couldn't resist.:D

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    1 minute ago, wendybr said:

    Hehehe...you're sounding like Robbie Shoulda Done Better Slater. :cheeky:

     

    Sorry...couldn't resist.:D

    Why? can't stand that prick

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    All the "shoulda done better " comments above. :D

    But don't pay any attention to me...I'm just feeling......light hearted. :D:D

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Good effort, and unlucky not to get the 3 points. Apart from the goal, the defense was strong and especially in the second half they put the body on the line on a number of occasions. The only players under par were Baccus, Majok and Bridge.

    Best of all their dream of premiership is well and truly over.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    5 hours ago, tardotz said:

    Good effort, and unlucky not to get the 3 points. Apart from the goal, the defense was strong and especially in the second half they put the body on the line on a number of occasions. The only players under par were Baccus, Majok and Bridge.

    Best of all their dream of premiership is well and truly over.

    Not sure how Bridge could earn an "under par" rating considering the entire time he was on the field he kept running into space, calling for service only to see the ball go anywhere but to him.

    I am also delighted to note that, in the past two months, the "Elrich Out" brigade have been much less vocal..  I realise he is past his prime, but he bleeds for the team every game, so here is my suggestion.:  sign him up as a back up for the two full back and,  if need be, the CB positions.  Oh, hang on!  Wasn't that why he was signed this season and has ended up playing more minutes that probably any other player in the team.

    Welcome back RBB. We've missed you.  Best atmosphere all season..

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Tbh, i approached last night as a night out rather than 'The Derby!'......so was pleasantly surprised that we played okay, definitely deserved a draw, if not the win. 

    That ref was a real chunt.

    Sfc really were unpleasantly smug at times on the pitch. As if the draw they just had in AFC was some kind of testament to their superiority, and this is just a lowly local league game. So, i was rather happy we took it to them, we got a draw and we've rained on their parade in terms of premiership.

    Not a bad night at all

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    This game felt like a win for me. 

    We didn't get flogged and at the same time managed to rain on ESFC's parade and give some cause to be optimistic for next season.  Not a tactical victory but a strategic one perhaps.

    A couple of random observations:

    • I thought Babbel looked like an eminent psychologist and expected him to pull a fob watch from his pocket at any moment
    • GG's post match interview on Fox was a disappointment only because I was hoping that he would sound something like Sylvester Stallone when he spoke

     

    Edited by LeeMarvin
    Accidently hit Return key

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    44 minutes ago, LeeMarvin said:

    This game felt like a win for me. 

    We didn't get flogged and at the same time managed to rain on ESFC's parade and give some cause to be optimistic for next season.  Not a tactical victory but a strategic one perhaps.

    A couple of random observations:

    • I thought Babbel looked like an eminent psychologist and expected him to pull a fob watch from his pocket at any moment
    • GG's post match interview on Fox was a disappointment only because I was hoping that he would sound something like Sylvester Stallone when he spoke

     

    Yes.....yes!! ...and yes..... to your three observations above!

    The seond one did literally make me lol!!

    :lol: :lol:

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Gallifuoco was surprisingly good, which was lucky because Baccus had an awful first half and Babbel was right to hook him at half time.

    Because they played 45 minutes each its easy to compare how they performed (although easts were always going to tire in the second half and he came on fresh). I just checked the stats and was a little surprised to see that Baccus had a higher pass completion rate than GG (72% vs 60%) however GG attempted more passes so he actually completed more than Baccus (15 vs 13). Going forward GG took more shots and crosses and created more chances. Defensively he made more tackles and attempted 9 duels (the same as Baccus) but won 8 of them while Baccus only won 1.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    6 minutes ago, Davo said:

    Gallifuoco was surprisingly good, which was lucky because Baccus had an awful first half and Babbel was right to hook him at half time.

    Because they played 45 minutes each its easy to compare how they performed (although easts were always going to tire in the second half and he came on fresh). I just checked the stats and was a little surprised to see that Baccus had a higher pass completion rate than GG (72% vs 60%) however GG attempted more passes so he actually completed more than Baccus (15 vs 13). Going forward GG took more shots and crosses and created more chances. Defensively he made more tackles and attempted 9 duels (the same as Baccus) but won 8 of them while Baccus only won 1.

    I loved the managers quote on Baccus with wtte..." as a local western Sydeny lad he he was too motivated for the game".....lol

    Probably saw he ( Baccus ) was heading for a red and took the safer option. On that note it was good to see Kamau fire up as well.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Corica quote " we will destroy A league teams after 3 all draw with Shanghai" 

    Corica quote " the midweek game will not effect us in the Derby we are fit"

    Corica quote " we struggled in the second half after the midweek game , but we still should have won the game" 

    Corica quote " they could only score from a deflection"

    Corica = arrogant wanker

     

     

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    We are much closer to the Smurfs (and the rest of the competition, for that matter) than most people think. 14 points out of the last six games ain't half bad. Smurfs won the SCG derby with a little help of their in house refs and the first ANZ derby courtesy of Janjetovic. Nail the imports, have a home ground again worth the description, and we'll be a force next season. 

    Kudos to Hamill and Elrich, two nominal squaddies who ended up with the thankless job of steadying the ship. 

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    2 hours ago, Keithie said:

    Corica quote " we will destroy A league teams after 3 all draw with Shanghai" 

    Corica quote " the midweek game will not effect us in the Derby we are fit"

    Corica quote " we struggled in the second half after the midweek game , but we still should have won the game" 

    Corica quote " they could only score from a deflection"

    Corica = arrogant wanker

     

     

    Well, he did learn from one of the best.

    If we could only "score from a deflection", then maybe he should be pushing his thugs to give a bit more than 43% perhaps? Maybe then they'd know how to build a ******* wall properly. Maybe if they knocked it up to 45%, they might even be able to keep in their pants long enough to not hack down players within striking distance of goal?

    Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if he has a minimum level of bullshit he is required to spin every time he speaks written into his contract. And if he doesn't hit Arnie / Slater levels within a specific time frame, then he gets the arse.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Oh, and what was up with that Game of Thrones crap? Was it FFA Game of Thrones round or just a cross marketing gimmick at Fox?  I have watched the telecast twice now and still don't get it.

     

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    2 minutes ago, LeeMarvin said:

    Oh, and what was up with that Game of Thrones crap? Was it FFA Game of Thrones round or just a cross marketing gimmick at Fox?  I have watched the telecast twice now and still don't get it.

     

    Yes....GoT Round (ridiculously)...which I guess is the same as cross marketing - as if GoT needs any marketing. Lol.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    5 minutes ago, wendybr said:

    Yes....GoT Round (ridiculously)...which I guess is the same as cross marketing - as if GoT needs any marketing. Lol.

    Cringe worthy :wacko:

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    It's the only thing Foxtel has that's popular apart from sports of course they are going to market it heavily. Was a Foxtel only thing.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    I don't recall Corica being like this as a player. it almost seems like he is trying too hard to be relevant and be quotable like Arnie was. Doesn't feel genuine at all.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    23 minutes ago, Erebus said:

    I don't recall Corica being like this as a player. it almost seems like he is trying too hard to be relevant and be quotable like Arnie was. Doesn't feel genuine at all.

    He wasn't like that. 

    FWIW - I'd say your assessment is spot on.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    If the media slurp up every word without questioning anything that comes out of SFC and are their biggest cheerleaders you might as well take advantage of it. What's the worst that can happen, you lose anyway. Smithies & Bossi & Adno aren't reporting negatively on SFC or their coaches no matter what happens.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    6 hours ago, sonar said:

     

     On that note it was good to see Kamau fire up as well. 

    I am loving the work Kamau has been putting in down the right since his move to the back four, but is he under instructions not to cross any balls into the area?

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    1 hour ago, Harv said:

    I am loving the work Kamau has been putting in down the right since his move to the back four, but is he under instructions not to cross any balls into the area?

    For me he is improving and doing better but why does he turn around and go backward so often????  A few times he obviously saw a bigger player running for the ball and discernibly slowed down.  I enjoyed his more aggressive approach early on, as I did with others (except Baccus, who I thought was going to do another brain snap al a Melbourne City in Jan and get sent off!).   On the whole Kamau did well but he doesn't cross well nor get it into the box as often as he might.

    Still not sure about him in RB.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites



    Join the conversation

    You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

    Guest
    Add a comment...

    ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

      Only 75 emoji are allowed.

    ×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

    ×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

    ×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




  • Posts

    • But we're not talking about the players themselves and what they think we're talking about the crowd and crowd behaviour and I can tell you for certain that people in the crowd want to see batsmen hit. I don't know where you sit at the cricket but from where I do people were calling out for it to happen......and not just in Sydney. 
    • They had to retouch his portrait in theLong Room because his ball bag was too big.........lol
    • I get the first part, but even if people think he should have been banned for longer (which is RIDICULOUS considering the punishments handed out to people before him), there is a time to at least shut up. I disagree totally with the second part, as would most of the players you mention. And I'm not being ******* naive. I love seeing batsmen ducking for cover (danger is an inherent part of the game) but the ultimate goal is to use a hit to the batsman (or the idea of a hit) to put doubt in their mind so you get them out. And there is a big difference between hitting someone on the arm, shoulder, fingers etc or a glancing blow to the head and someone getting KO'd like Smith did.  And anyway, even if there is a desire to see someone hit, that is still VERY different to actively booing someone coming back from a hit.  The game is about taking a hit and showing the courage to come back. Booing someone for doing that is disrespecting the game. The GREAT thing about cricket - until now - has been the respect that people - teams and fans - show the oppositon. I've been at the SCG when the whole crowd was literally cheering every time Lara hit a boundary, they were in that much awe. But in the past few years there has been WAY too much focus on the battle - even with those stupid CH 9 documentaries with that voice over: "Ashes Battles blah blah". And things like the Aussie administrators putting up that giant hand on stage showing 4-0 when we won the Ashes. A lack of respect for the opposition and the game. If there is one good thing to come from Newlands, it is that the Aussie team and administrators have started to respect the game again. Let's see if the other countries follow suit (and our fans too).
  • Upcoming Events

    No upcoming events found
×
×
  • Create New...