Jump to content
  • Sign in to follow this  

    Wanderers Ease Past Bonnyrigg


    mack

    The Western Sydney Wanderers are through to a quarter final against Melbourne City following their 2-1 win against Bonnyrigg tonight in the FFA Cup.

    After a 10 minute feeling out period, the Wanderers mounted their first serious attack on the Bonnyrigg goal and it paid dividends. Roly Bonevacia combined down the left flank with Alexander Baumjohann with a neat 1-2 pass that setup Baumjohann to score his first goal in Wanderers colours with a nice stab toward goal. Bonnyrigg were limited to chances on the counter or from set pieces and they failed to trouble the Wanderers defence, the first 45 ending 1-0 to the Wanderers.

    2 minutes into the second half Roly Bonevacia & Baumjohann broke through the Bonnyrigg defence, unfortunately for the Wanderers Baumjohann had strayed marginally offside, and he mis-controlled the pass in any case.

    On 55 minutes Brendan Hamill looked certain to score from a corner. Baumjohann fired in a hard cross that was flicked on by a Bonnyrigg defender, Hamill had made a good run to the far post and from 2 yards out Hamill connected with a side foot volley that on second viewing appeared to have been turned onto the crossbar by the goalkeeper.

    Bonnyrigg had two chances in quick successful, the best coming by Peterson turning Ziegler inside out until he came across the path of Risdon & Hamill, forcing the attacking onto the by line before his shot went straight into the arms of Nizic.

    A dubious free kick lead to Bonnyrigg's equaliser. 20 odd yards out from goal, Tynan Diaz curled in the free kick up and over the wall and crashed past the glacial Danjiel Nizic, who has been the Wanderers worst player in these two FFA Cup games this season.

    The bouncing ball in the Bonnyrigg penalty area near lead to a second for the Wanderers, as Riera & Baumjohann combined for the attacking midfielder to strike on ball, only to see it saved & dribble out behind for a corner. The second goal finally came from the resulting corner. After the initial cross was cleared out to the wing, Patrick Ziegler made the goal with steadfast ball control on the edge of the area, his low cross into the middle found Hamill who sliced a quality low header onto the base of the far post.

    While the result wasn't the strongest, the Wanderers dealt with Bonnyrigg in open play and had enough quality in attack to run out the 90 minutes victorious. Going into the Quarter Final with 7 other teams with the draw as follows:
    Melbourne City vs Western Sydney Wanderers
    Bentleigh Greens vs Heidelberg
    Apia Leichardt vs Adelaide United
    Avondale FC vs Sydney FC

    Edited by mack

    Sign in to follow this  


    User Feedback

    Recommended Comments



    A-League teams can approach off-contract players at the start of January. By the time Gombau joined, he would already be having to look at off-contract players and a few weeks later making decisions on who to cut and who to approach. If you look at the list of player transfers for this season, there is a complete lack of quality available for Australian players.

    Gombau picked up four players of pretty well known quality and perhaps with some potential left in a few of them. If he'd signed no-one we'd be stuck with rando Mariners/Nix level signings now.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    I too was going to post we look a team that will come about 4th.  Not sure who'll be above that - there's generally at least one random team up there - but our quality looks about the level of 4th place team at the moment.

    That said, it's early days. In this league if the team is well drilled anything can happen. And having a spare visa in January gives us some room to play around.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Roly's problem is not his position, it's Roly. He's like one of those guys that everyone knows down the local 6-a-side who you think has the skills to play professionally but for whatever reason he never quite lives up to potential.  Either he's too busy whingeing about his wife and life/pulling birds/getting wasted on the weekend or he just looks amazing doing tricks in warmups and is charasmatic off-field but just doesn't seem to make the right decisions once you get to 11 on 11. Occasionally he does something amazing and you wonder again why he didn't go further. We've all got mates like this, it's just that somehow Roly managed to make it the pros like that. 

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Unsure of where to post this but has anyone worked out a way to stream from the new Telstra My Football app to their TV? Seems they've blocked Chromecast and Apple airplay coz i tried both during the game. My phone screen is not large and my increasingly elderly eyesight makes it worse :)!

     

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    7 minutes ago, Potkorok said:

    Unsure of where to post this but has anyone worked out a way to stream from the new Telstra My Football app to their TV? Seems they've blocked Chromecast and Apple airplay coz i tried both during the game. My phone screen is not large and my increasingly elderly eyesight makes it worse :)!

     

    Depends on what your device is. This may help.....

     

     

    https://www.tomsguide.com/us/stream-video-tv-pc-mac-phone,news-18335.html

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    11 minutes ago, Potkorok said:

    Unsure of where to post this but has anyone worked out a way to stream from the new Telstra My Football app to their TV? Seems they've blocked Chromecast and Apple airplay coz i tried both during the game. My phone screen is not large and my increasingly elderly eyesight makes it worse :)!

     

    PLay it through your computer and connect to TV via HDMI cable.  The streaming is ordinary but works.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    1 hour ago, BoyFromTheWest said:

    PLay it through your computer and connect to TV via HDMI cable.  The streaming is ordinary but works.

    +1

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    10 hours ago, Upthehill said:

    Probably not fair to compare them. Gumby was locking down a younger set of players as early as possible, I can respect that. He wasn’t able to look at any real quality at that exact time

    I forgot Elrich who isn't in the younger age set.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    6 hours ago, btron3000 said:

    Roly's problem is not his position, it's Roly. He's like one of those guys that everyone knows down the local 6-a-side who you think has the skills to play professionally but for whatever reason he never quite lives up to potential.  Either he's too busy whingeing about his wife and life/pulling birds/getting wasted on the weekend or he just looks amazing doing tricks in warmups and is charasmatic off-field but just doesn't seem to make the right decisions once you get to 11 on 11. Occasionally he does something amazing and you wonder again why he didn't go further. We've all got mates like this, it's just that somehow Roly managed to make it the pros like that. 

    This is an accurate description of Roly performance.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    On 31/08/2018 at 1:00 AM, mack said:

    A-League teams can approach off-contract players at the start of January. By the time Gombau joined, he would already be having to look at off-contract players and a few weeks later making decisions on who to cut and who to approach. If you look at the list of player transfers for this season, there is a complete lack of quality available for Australian players.

    Gombau picked up four players of pretty well known quality and perhaps with some potential left in a few of them. If he'd signed no-one we'd be stuck with rando Mariners/Nix level signings now.

    Agreed - you can't afford not to be in the market in these key times. 

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites



    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now



×