Jump to content
  • Sign in to follow this  

    Wanderers Hold On In Gosford


    mack

    The Western Sydney Wanderers held on for all three points after the Central Coast Mariners came hard in the second half in Gosford tonight.

    With Paul Okon's side not having won in 2 months, they were hoping for a change in fortune against a Wanderers side missing several key players through injury & suspension. Josep Gombau added Jaushua Sotirio to the starting side along with giving winger Chris Ikonomidis a place on the bench.

    It was the flying winger Sotirio who repaid his faith in Gombau after a quarter hour. From the corner Marcelo Carrusca fired in a training ground routine reminiscent of Paul Scholes at Manchester United, Sotirio jogged onto the lofted ball and side footed a volley in towards goal. Liam Rose flung himself at the ball but all he did was deflect the shot past Ben Kennedy for the opening goal.

    Oriol Riera continued his good run of form as he approaches double figures in his seasonal goal tally. Paul Okon had given Raul Llorente the freedom of the Gosford stadium pitch and he was eventually punished by the Spanish combination. With acres of room Llorente fired in a dangerous cross that bisected the Mariners defence and hit Riera on his head, the header was fired onto the crossbar, and it had probably crossed the line before a rebound from Kennedy made the second goal of the game secure.

    The second half was another in the litany of fade out performances from the Wanderers this season, as Roly Bonevacia & Mark Bridge in particular were seemingly exhausted even before an hour was up. Bridge was arguably at fault for the Mariners only goal, leaving a hole on the Mariners right flank that had to be filled by Thwaite, and the central defender was out of position to intercept the cross for new Mariners forward Peter Skapetis to head back across goal past Vedran Janjetovic.

    Ultimately though, the Mariners huffed & puffed but couldn't knock the Wanderers house down to equalise. Ikonomidis' showed potential in his 45 minute cameo, and the team will look to build momentum next weekend against Wellington Phoenix before their encounters with the top 2 of Newcastle Jets & Sydney FC to round out February.

    The next match for the Wanderers is against Wellington Phoenix on Sunday the 11th of February at Homebush Olympic Stadium.

    Sign in to follow this  


    User Feedback

    Recommended Comments



    Fair assessment. Fluent passing 1st half...poor 2nd. We were the better side and a win is a win even if it was a bit ugly. Roly and Bridge looked cooked after 60 mins.

    You have to question the conditioning it needs an overhaul.

    Edited by sonar

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Frustrating that they clock off in the second half and let the mariners back in the game. They need to keep their foot on the throat.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Winners are grinners...but we desperately need to sort out our 2nd half performances.

    Well done to all those that got cooked in the sun this afternoon It was not easy.. totally sunburnt  In a way I can understand the players fade but the opposition players faced the same conditions 

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    1 minute ago, StringerBellend said:

    Second half was really poor, we played well first half though Carrusca is class 

    Agreed...Carrusca has been a great pickup

    Great 1st half...poor second...good first impression of Ikonomidis - he looked to always go forward which is great, and he's not Sortiro which is always an extra tick

    Unfortunately Bridgey looks like he's always 2 steps behind, and Roly too flat footed

     

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    The Greek kid looked economical. Once a year Sotirio gets lucky. Otherwise he's a greyhound of a runner. Just has a problem when there's a football at his feet. Understandibly such occurrences trip him up but luckily he lays it off to the closest opposition player so he can return to running. This win only makes sense if we win next week. 

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    8 minutes ago, tardotz said:

    Winners are grinners...but we desperately need to sort out our 2nd half performances.

    Well done to all those that got cooked in the sun this afternoon It was not easy.. totally sunburnt  In a way I can understand the players fade but the opposition players faced the same conditions 

    Yes...it was hot.

    We just kept moving upwards in the upper tier...and ended up hopping into the seating in one of the empty boxes up the back...and avoided the Sun!

    Thoroughly recommend doing that. :xnod:

    Really disappointing overall crowd, wasn't it?

    No noise that I heard from the Mariners...not even a "We sing for Yellow"??. No action behind the goals from them. The brass band was there...but I hardly heard them...and they didn't seem to circulate through their members'stand. :unknw:

    Anyone know why it was such a poor turnout from them?? I thought they'd done OK crowd wise this season...but their losing streak has probably taken its toll, I guess.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Any other team would have buried us in the second half. Thankfully mariners are a basket case and can’t score for ****. 

    Played some great one touch football in the first half, Bridge for me looks half the player he used to be since coming back from Thailand. 

    If only we could play football for 90 minutes instead of 45. 

    Second halves have killed our season. 

    Wins a win though. Gosford is ours. 

     

    How the **** hasn’t Okon been sacked? 

     

     

    Edited by xxBrandonxx

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Wendy was very disappointing crowd. 

    Remeber the early seasons this fixture was always a 12k crowd minimum... well our **** turnout was a big reason for the crowd, our crowd crowds home and away are just woeful at the moment 

    it was a nice day cooking in the sun as others have said, some interesting times in the rbb with the anti ffa chanting and cops taking banners 

    carussca - yes he looks the good 

    agree with bridge he should have been yanked and reira stay on - reira in the first half put in one of the best performances in a wsw shirt we have seen in a half he set bridge up twice and yeah Bridgey wasn’t able to convert 

    hamill actually Had one of his better games 

    and wtf is up with risdon? He is almost unfitter that bridge 

     

    nice day out now beat the **** nix 

    Edited by GunnerWanderer

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    34 minutes ago, wendybr said:

    Yes...it was hot.

    We just kept moving upwards in the upper tier...and ended up hopping into the seating in one of the empty boxes up the back...and avoided the Sun!

    Thoroughly recommend doing that. :xnod:

    Really disappointing overall crowd, wasn't it?

    No noise that I heard from the Mariners...not even a "We sing for Yellow"??. No action behind the goals from them. The brass band was there...but I hardly heard them...and they didn't seem to circulate through their members'stand. :unknw:

    Anyone know why it was such a poor turnout from them?? I thought they'd done OK crowd wise this season...but their losing streak has probably taken its toll, I guess.

    When I am there at Gosford (I wasn't today) I am always on the back row of the general admission bay in the upper tier and have hopped over in to the boxes twice before, I think the time I seen you there I did that. I remember being at Gosford when all the boxes at the back were full.

    Great first half, should have been over the hill and out of sight at half time. second half same old story....now to back it up next week.

     

    Edited by WSWBoro

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Key to victory - hoole's heroic commitment to not defend.

    Have to admit i only saw first half - not bad at all. Although it sounds like it went south later on. What changed in second half?

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Wendy, Crowd was bad. I guess when your team hasn't won for 2 months and is playing another underperforming team then people stay away. Our away support was also low. At  the Settlers 2hrs before the game it was half empty. Very different to the days when the tevern was full , peole overflowing in the street and the riot squad outside....even the cops stayed away.

    The Mariners band in the corner next to the sauce bottles is strange....looks like even the Mariners fans don't want them near them.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    2 minutes ago, lloydy136 said:

    What changed in second half?

    That's the question everyone has been asking all season.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    2 minutes ago, tardotz said:

    Wendy, Crowd was bad. I guess when your team hasn't won for 2 months and is playing another underperforming team then people stay away. Our away support was also low. At  the Settlers 2hrs before the game it was half empty. Very different to the days when the tevern was full , peole overflowing in the street and the riot squad outside....even the cops stayed away.

    The Mariners band in the corner next to the sauce bottles is strange....looks like even the Mariners fans don't want them near them.

    Sunday afternoons are always bad for me...worse for sure than anytime on a Saturday. The wife always wants certain stuff doing and certain routines on a Sunday, I always ******* groan when I see any game on a Sunday even if at home, hate them. I prefer  even Friday night games to Sunday games.

    Edited by WSWBoro

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Who knows what changed, nothing that I could see in terms of tactics, we just seem completely incapable of lasting 90 minutes. It was an absolutely pathetic 2nd half, a good team would have beaten us.

    The positives were Riera (again), Carrusca (again), Ikonimidis and Llorente.

    The first two are our only hope of winning any games, when they're on the pitch they're a constant threat. They're already combining brilliantly. The way Carrusca already looks like our equal best player despite being here for 5 minutes shows his class. Ikonimidis was decent, the best thing about him was he didn't do anything stupid. Showed good touch and control. Llorente was great and I loved his post match interview, he was so pumped to have finally got a win. Check it out if you can find it, you can't question his commitment. Also interestingly said he doesn't like playing as a winger, prefers playing as a left back with space to run into.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Looks like we have definitely worked out how to win now.

    Create enough chances for half a dozen goals in the first half. Take at least 2 of them. Hold on in the second half. Simples.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    9 minutes ago, lloydy136 said:

    Key to victory - hoole's heroic commitment to not defend.

    Have to admit i only saw first half - not bad at all. Although it sounds like it went south later on. What changed in second half?

    We just went into or usual listless second half performance. Guilty of playing backwards when we had a chance to push on and seemed to lack any sort of urgency.

     

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    2 minutes ago, btron3000 said:

    Looks like we have definitely worked out how to win now.

    Create enough chances for half a dozen goals in the first half. Take at least 2 of them. Hold on in the second half. Simples.

    Worked when up against the team running second last. Not sure about the others. 😯

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    2 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

    We just went into or usual listless second half performance. Guilty of playing backwards when we had a chance to push on and seemed to lack any sort of urgency.

     

    There was one where we ended up with someone with the ball in acres of space IN THE BOX...might have been the otherwise anonymous Lustica...and we somehow ended up passing the ball back to our defenders on the halfway line.

    That said, the buildup to our second goal was sexual. I don't expect it to be really discussed or even shown anywhere because #ausfootballmedia, but there were at least twenty passes before picking them open. The difference though was that the final ball was quick and direct to our striker's main threat, i.e. heading. Llorente didn't faff around with it on the wing waiting for others to arrive.

    When you've got a guy that can put away headers as difficult as that, it seems insane not to base your whole game around trying to give him as many opportunities to do so as possible.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Is the fitness issue because of not enough to fitness training or too much? Is gombau working them really hard in order to have a solid crack at finals (assuming we make it)?

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Also our form seems to drop significantly with Sotirio not on the field. 

     

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    11 minutes ago, DanButler said:

    Is the fitness issue because of not enough to fitness training or too much? Is gombau working them really hard in order to have a solid crack at finals (assuming we make it)?

    We have been knackered in the last 20 mins all season.

    Roly and Bridge are cooked nearing the end of games and it is costing us.

    I have the deepest respect for Mark Bridge but he is not as good this year...a legacy from his injury perhaps....?

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Yeah Bridge is well off the pace. I would have Ikonomidis and Sotirio on the wings starting ahead of him. 

    Roly as well, although he wasn't terrible today, should be well down the pecking order in midfield.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    The crowd figures all around are a clear indication that FFA's approach to growing the game is trying to kill it.

    Our conditioning took a hit when waterhouse left, another one when popa departed, and the end came when Foxe walked. 

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Sad state of affairs when you win and couldn't even be bothered taunting Mariners fans on Facebook.

     

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    7 hours ago, luisenrique said:

    There was one where we ended up with someone with the ball in acres of space IN THE BOX...might have been the otherwise anonymous Lustica...and we somehow ended up passing the ball back to our defenders on the halfway line.

     

    There was one passage where we only just stopped the ball going over their goal line, and within 4 passes had it back at the feet of Vedran. WTF is that?????

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    18 minutes ago, wswtragic said:

    There was one passage where we only just stopped the ball going over their goal line, and within 4 passes had it back at the feet of Vedran. WTF is that?????

    It's a process. It's attacking football, apparently. 

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    8 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

     Guilty of playing backwards when we had a chance to push on and seemed to lack any sort of urgency.

     

    Whilst this has certainly the case in most games, yesterday's effort was particularly 'spectacular' as the Mariners were there for the taking. So frustrating where the forward options are blatantly obvious yet we stop, ponder then pass it backwards.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    a few times in the first half before we scored, Sotirio found himself in acres of space - often on the counter - and slowed the game right down instead of pushing forward like he usually would in seasons past. lets face it, 99 tiimes out of 50 he's gonna turn over possession or run it over the sideline - at least if he runs forward like a chicken with its head cutoff he loses the ball in better field position, or maybe even creates a chance, but **** man, play like this slowing down the game when you've got a chance to put pressure on the opposition with a quick counter is just negative and allows the other team to re-organise and get bodies behind the ball. I don't blame Sotirio, i think it's just bad coaching. play to win - not some stupid philosophy.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites



    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now



×