Jump to content
  • Sign in to follow this  

    Josep Gombau Is New Wanderers Manager


    mack

    Josep Gombau has been appointed as the new manager for the Western Sydney Wanderers

    After the shock exit of Tony Popovic, goalkeeping coach Zeljko Kalac and assistant manager Andres Carrasco, the Western Sydney Wanderers were flooded with applicants for the vacant managerial position. Reportedly Gombau was not the first choice for the boardroom, with Australian National team assistant manager Ante Milicic and German Dirk Schuster both being preferred, only to have the appointments fall through upon salary negotiations.

    Gombauis no stranger to the A-League, having lead Adelaide United for the 2013/14 & 2014/15 seasons. He began his managerial career in a less than orthodox fashion, starting as a goalkeeper for Amposta in Spain before switching to coaching as a teenager. His first major appointment, at age 27, was as a member of the famous Barcelona youth academy La Masia.

    Having served at Barcelona until 2009 he joined Kitchee United in Hong Kong for his first managerial role. He bought success to the club, winning multiple league titles & cup competitions. This bought the attention of the A-League, and he joined Adelaide United, leading them to victory in the inaugural FFA Cup, in 2014. After an apparent fallout with the Adelaide United board Gombau joined the Australian national team setup where he was nominally the U23 team coach, but was a key scout under the Ange Postecoglu regime. In this role he was seen scouting across Australia, with numerous sightings at Wanderers A-League games. Gombau can be expected to replicate his attacking possession football style that bought him Cup success at Adelaide along with a 43% winning record.

    With the Wanderers ending their search for a manager, Gombau will be expected to push the side into the top 4 as a minimum result, and go on the hunt for silverware that has eluded the Wanderers since their Asian Champions League victory in 2014.

    Sign in to follow this  


    User Feedback

    Recommended Comments



    2 minutes ago, sonar said:

    I agree but not according to people on the Smurfs forum....lol ......a lot of them think they will smash us......just got  myself banned again for the second time for having the temerity to tell them that Gombau has a better win record when his teams have played against Arnold, and perhaps they need to pull their heads out from up their own backsides and stop being so cocky....lol

    Dominated every one expect for Adelaide just can’t put them to bed

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    6 hours ago, GoatyMcGoatFace said:

    lol i will, honestly i cant wait to see what he does with the squad and how much we will change how we play

    We have a few players who were at Adelaide under Gombau. Lustica was bought in for Gombau's first season the allowed to leave halfway through the season to go to the Roar. Jacob Melling was signed by Melbourne City after that first season.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    Just now, mack said:

    We have a few players who were at Adelaide under Gombau. Lustica was bought in for Gombau's first season the allowed to leave halfway through the season to go to the Roar. Jacob Melling was signed by Melbourne City after that first season.

    i completely forgot about that, should be interesting to see how Lustica reacts, i think he is better now than he was back then but i could be wrong

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Lustica always pops up and scores though like sotiro and jumpei perhaps he could work on them not to be so butterfingersie

    i don’t think we realise mellings potential I reckon he’s Nt quality so I hope they stay

    Edited by JayZko

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    He is also bringing in some of his own people........

    Admin: Smithies Warning

    TWENTY eight months ago he quit Adelaide United in dramatic fashion, but new Wanderers boss Josep Gombau insists this time he’s more than settled in Australia.

    Gombau’s unveiling ended Western Sydney’s hunt for a new head coach on Wednesday, though he won’t officially take charge of the team until after Monday’s trip to Melbourne Victory.

    As he promised to create a Wanderers “philosophy” for every team from the academy juniors to the first XI, Gombau revealed why the circumstances of this appointment were different to his previous A-League role.

    In 2015 he left Adelaide without warning, saying his family needed to be nearer to Europe – though he ended up working in New York, until Ange Postecoglou persuaded him to return to Australia.

    The 41-year-old quit as Olyroos coach to take up his new position, the key to which he said was a change of job, not of life.

    “Every time is different,” he said. “At that time we had a situation that meant my family and myself need to be closer (to Spain).

    “Before I went to New York I spent four or five months at home and that is what I needed at that moment. This moment now, we are here (in Sydney) for one year and a half. We are so happy here. My kids are in school in Sydney and everything is good.

    “I am not changing my life in terms of my family, I am changing my job.”

    Gombau is keen to keep Hayden Foxe as assistant, and has approached “a person I trust” to join them, with the club pledging similar resources to those Tony Popovic enjoyed.

    Speaking on the edge of the Rooty Hill development that will eventually house every one of Western Sydney’s teams, Gombau promised to school each one in the same manner.

    “To build a philosophy,” he said of his plans. “We have a very young squad here, we have a very good academy but we will build it even bigger.

    “When we have the facilities, every single kid will play the same style as the first squad, so that when you see the first squad playing you recognise that this is Western Sydney Wanderers because we play a certain way.

    “You won’t need to see the badge on the shirt, you will know. That way we can create our own players from our youth teams to play in the first team and one day go to Europe to play, and we can expand this way. A club that people want to come to because we are working well.

    “Now in life comes this challenge, at for me the biggest club in Australia. We have fans, we have everything, we want to achieve and we are building.

    “It is a big opportunity; it is not something I want to let go. I am so happy I am back in the A-League. I am so happy.

    “It is a club that has a big project, you can see they are building a new stadium, the facilities, a lot of fans. For me this is more than a club, it represents an area here in Western Sydney.”

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    32 minutes ago, JayZko said:

    All without stealing stealing your awesome coach hey midfield haha

    He is actually working on the budget he has ... we need one at least defender but as the team gells we are going to hard to beat ... unless you play a team that want soft penalties in the box ... 

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    5 minutes ago, JayZko said:

    Lustica always pops up and scores though like sotiro and jumpei perhaps he could work on them not to be so butterfingersie

    i don’t think we realise mellings potential I reckon he’s Nt quality so I hope they stay

    Lustica is the backup CAM for Roly.

    Melling may have some quality but will need to work on better tackling technique.

    Without injuries, Popa made sure there are at least  2 players for every position.

    GK: Vedran and Jerrad/Hall and Suman (u21 dev)

    RB: Risdon/ Hamill/ Baccus Jnr (u21 dev)

    LB: Llorente/Clisby

    CB Cornthwaite/Thwaite/Aspro(u21) Hamill

    DM Baccus Snr/Herd/ Lustica/Tokich (u21)/Bonevacia

    CAM Bonevacia/Lustica 

    RM/RW Cejudo/Jumpei/Sotirio/Majok (u21 dev)

    LM/LW Bridge/Cejudo/Sotirio 

    ST Riera/Santalab/Scott(u21)

     

     

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    I think he gets Western Sydney and what the Wanderers means to the area. He seems passionate about the club and about bringing a philosophy to this club. Tough task...but I like how he looks at things. Good luck!

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    1 hour ago, WestSyd said:

    Sotirio might end up knowing what he is doing on the field after all.

     

    If he can make this happen then he's the greatest manager of all time.

    Happy with it, as others have said he has the advantage of being good with both our best players (the Spaniards) and our future (the youth).

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    15 minutes ago, Midfielder said:

    He is actually working on the budget he has ... we need one at least defender but as the team gells we are going to hard to beat ... unless you play a team that want soft penalties in the box ... 

    Yeh but you’ve had your time in the sun

    with arnie

    and you’ll get to be one of the biggest teams in the a league

    when we’re forced to move there because we can’t afford western Sydney 😃 our streaks gone on longer then yours 

    Please!!!!

    Edited by JayZko

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    20 minutes ago, JayZko said:

    Yeh but you’ve had your time in the sun

    with arnie

    and you’ll get to be one of the biggest teams in the a league

    when we’re forced to move there because we can’t afford western Sydney 😃 our streaks gone on longer then yours 

    Please!!!!

    You are right but but but .... Don't spread this too far as it scares some people.. life is a struggle ...  the poor old Westies do it tough ... now what happens to some of em they retire and move to Gods garden on the coast and they become Coasties ...

    But the smart one's realise you can move earlier .... and they do..

    So the CC is populated in the main by refugees from WS and or their kids....

    What is happening over time is the Westies want to become Coasties ....

    Then they abandon all things WS and swap the slashed tyres, the traffic, the smog,  the crush, the crowds, for the beaches, lakes, bays .... friendly smiles rather than wonder who is approaching you...

    So in time, they so, want to associate as a Coastie they no longer acknowledge any association with the smog ridden, traffic nightmare that is WS .... and they become yellow for the beach and blue for the sea... and they throw away those blood red and midnight black colours...

    But don't spread the word it scares people.

     

     

    Edited by Midfielder

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    19 minutes ago, Midfielder said:

    You are right but but but .... Don't spread this too far as it scares some people.. life is a struggle ...  the poor old Westies do it tough ... now what happens to some of em they retire and move to Gods garden on the coast and they become Coasties ...

    But the smart one's realise you can move earlier .... and they do..

    So the CC is populated in the main by refugees from WS and or their kids....

    What is happening over time is the Westies want to become Coasties ....

    Then they abandon all things WS and swap the slashed tyres, the traffic, the smog,  the crush, the crowds, for the beaches, lakes, bays .... friendly smiles rather than wonder who is approaching you...

    So in time, they so, want to associate as a Coastie they no longer acknowledge any association with the smog ridden, traffic nightmare that is WS .... and they become yellow for the beach and blue for the sea... and they throw away those blood red and midnight black colours...

    But don't spread the word it scares people.

     

     

    Midfielder, I see you've now taken up a career as a fiction writer extraordinaire.......lol

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    1 hour ago, sonar said:

    Midfielder, I see you've now taken up a career as a fiction writer extraordinaire.......lol

    Maybe but ... google map the following and then get the street view or whatever view gives you an overall picture.

    A mate of mine in lives """Bass Drive Baulkham Hills"" and their is a house for sale for about 300 k or more than any house in my street would get """ Roma Close Horsfield Bay"" ...

    We are roughly 5 minutes from Woy Woy as a rough mad map guide...

    Bass Drive https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-33.7608393,150.9748108,158m/data=!3m1!1e3

    Roma Close https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-33.4905778,151.3045435,174m/data=!3m1!1e3

     

    Waterfront at the back and national park at the front, for less than a 3 bed brick veneer... 

    This is why many folks are moving to the Cost of housing is much cheaper and the train trip to Sydney not that different in time. Gosford maybe a hole but but the beach and lake centres are very nice...

    Consider this.... buy house on the Coast for most 10 minutes to a beach or lake, for say $ 500, 000 less  than in Sydney.

    $ 500, 000 @ 5% is $ 25, 000 and to clear $ 25, 000 your gross needs to be 40 to 45 K ...

    The bit about swapping teams is fictional but that WS people coming to the Coast is happening in droves ...

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    fantastic appointment, provides entertaining attacking football as well as experience of winning the league,

    also well done foxy for getting us off too a safe start to the season

    bright bright times ahead for the wanderers 

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Midfielder 

    was it a westie who built that castle house on in top of the hill between settlers arms and stadium? I admire that product of lunacy at least once every year. 

     

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    2 hours ago, FCB said:

    Midfielder 

    was it a westie who built that castle house on in top of the hill between settlers arms and stadium? I admire that product of lunacy at least once every year. 

     

    Must be the same guy in winston hills

    yGKkJ8M.jpg

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Gombau stats from the A-league website 

    Here’s some key stats on the passionate new Wanderers boss.

     
    • He was in charge of Adelaide for 57 Hyundai A-League games, winning 25 of those (losing 20) for a 43.9% winning rate.
    • Only John Kosmina (52%) enjoyed a greater winning percentage as an Adelaide United coach.
    • The Reds scored 95 goals in those 57 games at an average of 1.67 goals per game, their most ever under any manager in the competition.
    • Gombau most enjoys coaching against Sydney FC, winning five and losing just one of eight matches against the Sky Blues.
    • Conversely, his worst record comes against Melbourne Victory, failing to pick up a win against the Big V in six matches.
    • Of the five current coaches in the Hyundai A-League he has faced before, Gombau’s best record is against Kenny Lowe. Gombau has never been beaten by a Lowe-coached Glory, winning three and drawing two of the five head-to-head battles.
    • Kevin Muscat is the man who has seemed to get the better of the Spaniard regularly. In five previous meetings between the pair, Muscat has enjoyed three wins, with two games drawn.
    • Gombau also remains undefeated as a coach in the Westfield FFA Cup. He won all five matches in charge of the Reds on their way to the 2014 win, scoring an average of two goals per game.
    Josep Gombau

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Very happy and should get the best out of the boys and help promote and develop youth players.

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    As we don't have a matchday thread for the next game....

    Gombau on Big Sports Breakfast said he is not training the team but is observing this week and will take over training next week. Since his stats aren't good against Muscat it might be good for him to act as assistant coach next Monday so as to recommend appropriate substitutions AT THE RIGHT TIME  (credit ATB pod from this week for suggesting good starts but poor subs)

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    2 hours ago, Paul01 said:

    Gombau stats from the A-league website 

    Here’s some key stats on the passionate new Wanderers boss.

     
    • He was in charge of Adelaide for 57 Hyundai A-League games, winning 25 of those (losing 20) for a 43.9% winning rate.
    • Only John Kosmina (52%) enjoyed a greater winning percentage as an Adelaide United coach.
    • The Reds scored 95 goals in those 57 games at an average of 1.67 goals per game, their most ever under any manager in the competition.
    • Gombau most enjoys coaching against Sydney FC, winning five and losing just one of eight matches against the Sky Blues.
    • Conversely, his worst record comes against Melbourne Victory, failing to pick up a win against the Big V in six matches.
    • Of the five current coaches in the Hyundai A-League he has faced before, Gombau’s best record is against Kenny Lowe. Gombau has never been beaten by a Lowe-coached Glory, winning three and drawing two of the five head-to-head battles.
    • Kevin Muscat is the man who has seemed to get the better of the Spaniard regularly. In five previous meetings between the pair, Muscat has enjoyed three wins, with two games drawn.
    • Gombau also remains undefeated as a coach in the Westfield FFA Cup. He won all five matches in charge of the Reds on their way to the 2014 win, scoring an average of two goals per game.
    Josep Gombau

    Why does he always smile like Strop?

    r0_0_729_409_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    15 hours ago, Midfielder said:

    Maybe but ... google map the following and then get the street view or whatever view gives you an overall picture.

    A mate of mine in lives """Bass Drive Baulkham Hills"" and their is a house for sale for about 300 k or more than any house in my street would get """ Roma Close Horsfield Bay"" ...

    We are roughly 5 minutes from Woy Woy as a rough mad map guide...

    Bass Drive https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-33.7608393,150.9748108,158m/data=!3m1!1e3

    Roma Close https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-33.4905778,151.3045435,174m/data=!3m1!1e3

     

    Waterfront at the back and national park at the front, for less than a 3 bed brick veneer... 

    This is why many folks are moving to the Cost of housing is much cheaper and the train trip to Sydney not that different in time. Gosford maybe a hole but but the beach and lake centres are very nice...

    Consider this.... buy house on the Coast for most 10 minutes to a beach or lake, for say $ 500, 000 less  than in Sydney.

    $ 500, 000 @ 5% is $ 25, 000 and to clear $ 25, 000 your gross needs to be 40 to 45 K ...

    The bit about swapping teams is fictional but that WS people coming to the Coast is happening in droves ...

    Take a drive through Chittaway Bay one time, it''s tre shithole.    :D

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    7 hours ago, wswtragic said:

    Why does he always smile like Strop?

    That’s El Strop to you

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    19 hours ago, Midfielder said:

    Maybe but ... google map the following and then get the street view or whatever view gives you an overall picture.

    A mate of mine in lives """Bass Drive Baulkham Hills"" and their is a house for sale for about 300 k or more than any house in my street would get """ Roma Close Horsfield Bay"" ...

    We are roughly 5 minutes from Woy Woy as a rough mad map guide...

    Bass Drive https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-33.7608393,150.9748108,158m/data=!3m1!1e3

    Roma Close https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-33.4905778,151.3045435,174m/data=!3m1!1e3

     

    Waterfront at the back and national park at the front, for less than a 3 bed brick veneer... 

    This is why many folks are moving to the Cost of housing is much cheaper and the train trip to Sydney not that different in time. Gosford maybe a hole but but the beach and lake centres are very nice...

    Consider this.... buy house on the Coast for most 10 minutes to a beach or lake, for say $ 500, 000 less  than in Sydney.

    $ 500, 000 @ 5% is $ 25, 000 and to clear $ 25, 000 your gross needs to be 40 to 45 K ...

    The bit about swapping teams is fictional but that WS people coming to the Coast is happening in droves ...

    Looks like we’ve got our new mapman!

    Share this comment


    Link to comment
    Share on other sites



    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...