Jump to content
  • Markus Babbel Is New Wanderers Coach


    mack

    Western Sydney Wanderers have appointed Markus Babbel, confirming the new manager at a press conference this afternoon.

    The former FC Luzern club manager will replace Josep Gombau, who was sacked by the club after finishing 7th in the 2017/18 A-League regular season.

    Markus Babbel, 45, is one of the most high profile coaching appointments in the history of the A-League, having played 51 times for the German National team, with a glittering playing career that included winning the Bundesliga and UEFA Cup with Bayern Munich, the FA Cup & UEFA Cup again with Liverpool and the 1996 European Championship with Germany.

    His coaching career took him to Stuttgart and then to Hertha Berlin, where he won the German 2nd Division title in 2010/11. His most recently appointment was at FC Luzern in Switzerland where he stablised the club back into the top half of the competition before leaving due mid-season after he decided to not renew his contract.

    Babbel spoke at the press conference about wanting a new challenge at the club, "It wasn't a difficult decision to come to the Wanderers, I am looking forward to the challenge". Tomi Juric was mentioned as having sold the club to Babbel, comparing Wanderers supported with the much quieter people of Switzerland. Babell will return to Europe for a brief holiday with his family, before returning to take on the role heading into the pre-season.

    Edited by mack


    User Feedback

    Recommended Comments



    11 minutes ago, WanderingToqui said:

    Baum means tree

    Johann means John (Jack)

    That... sorta makes sense, except for the John to Jack thing

    I could get Oriol -> Oreo -> Biscuit, but Treejack was like "???"

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    37 minutes ago, Taurus said:

    According to my sources, Treejack will win the JW Medal

    Which should also mean Riera wins Golden Boot.

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    11 hours ago, pseudonym said:

    ... so if Tree Jack falls to the ground, but no-one is around, is VAR going to ping him for diving?

     

    10 hours ago, ZachMercer said:

    Only in a derby.

    Oxymoron?

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Listened to his interview on the club website. He was very critical of the way the previous regime left the players and he has to ingrain his way of playing. 

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    47 minutes ago, mack said:

    With the pre-season basically over, what are everyone's thoughts?

    I don’t think our squad is strong enough too many average to good players not enough genuine quality. Babbel has basically made three signings 2 (the Germans look good) the other mahazi is wait and see.

    we seem to be more structured than last year and we at least look to play forward. 

    Babbel is going to have, us playing as “whole being Betterthan some of parts” as we lack impact players 

    Ziegler and Vedran coming back in will make a huge difference, but it’s not a good sign that Kamau and Fitzgerald can’t get a start over sotirio 

     

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    57 minutes ago, mack said:

    With the pre-season basically over, what are everyone's thoughts?

    If last night is an indication....we will struggle.

    Baumjohan is a good signing but he was hacked consistently by ESFC and they got a way with it. Four or five times in the first 30 min he was hacked and no yellows given.Teams will target him....stop him and you stop the Wanderers.

    I wish Riera would take more shots himself as Roly is past his best by the looks of things and Sotirio is the same magical player he was under the two previous managers. I think Babbel is using him for his pace but the guy can't pass or set up team mates. Baccus Snr has lost the plot since Popovic departed and imho should be let go so we can sign someone who will put in. Our youngsters will have to step up or we could be on the end of some big losses.

    We need Vedran back in goals ASAP. A fit Bridge is better than Roly. 

     

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    53 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

    I don’t think our squad is strong enough too many average to good players not enough genuine quality. Babbel has basically made three signings 2 (the Germans look good) the other mahazi is wait and see.

    we seem to be more structured than last year and we at least look to play forward. 

    Babbel is going to have, us playing as “whole being Betterthan some of parts” as we lack impact players 

    Ziegler and Vedran coming back in will make a huge difference, but it’s not a good sign that Kamau and Fitzgerald can’t get a start over sotirio 

     

    Good analysis. 

    First half was excellent. The team was attacking but just couldn’t get the ball in the net.

    our midfield lacked clout in the defence. I watched Llorente battle with De Jong for the first half and Raul was gassed by the end of the first half.

    i think Elrich was at fault for the first goal but he is not first defender that Buhagiar has beaten this pre-season as he blindingly quick.

    the referee did their usual FFA thing for most of the game and gave the smurfs most of the 50/50s. They occasionally failed to award free kicks to us. The penalty was a joke

    grozos and Keanu battled hard but were knocked off their feet quite a few times.

    as I was walking out, I saw Vedran kick the signage showing how pissed he was.

    the sooner Ziegler and Vedran are back the better

     

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    So Markus has worked out that Kamau is a lazy sh** and shouldn’t have been signed. 

    He doesn’t have the best XI available with Multiple injuries and a sh**house attitude from Baccus Snr. Mahazi was brought in as an honest toiler because of his relationship with JP , and is similar in skill (maybe).

    The coaching must be so pi**ed off with the attitude of Baccus Snr. 

     

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    19 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

    So Markus has worked out that Kamau is a lazy sh** and shouldn’t have been signed. 

    He doesn’t have the best XI available with Multiple injuries and a sh**house attitude from Baccus Snr. Mahazi was brought in as an honest toiler because of his relationship with JP , and is similar in skill (maybe).

    The coaching must be so pi**ed off with the attitude of Baccus Snr. 

     

    Have to agree....especially about Baccus Snr. I thought after the tanty he threw last year they would go the mutual termination route with him but......he is still here.

     

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    2 hours ago, mack said:

    With the pre-season basically over, what are everyone's thoughts?

    This is probably the least optimistic I have been leading into a season since season one.  We just don't look strong enough at the back nor commanding in midfield. Llorente doesn't seem to have improved his defensive frailties and Hamill is only an average centre back at best in this league. The fact he is our captain is a worry for me. I'm still to be convinced that Roly is our best option on the left yet he's had a lot of game time there throughout the preseason. Sotirio has had way too much game time on the right. I've only seen glimpses of Roberts recently but I'd like to see much more of him this season.

    I'm very impressed with the two new German imports and they will need to be everpresent this season, as will Vedran and Riera if we are to compete anywhere near the top end of the league. The realist in me says, given our preseason, we'll have a similar season to our last in terms of finishing position. I'm hoping MB's tactical nouse will be enough to pick up points where we lost them under Gombau and if he can get the boys playing for him we may scrape into the top 4 or 5.

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    3 hours ago, mack said:

    With the pre-season basically over, what are everyone's thoughts?

    I'm concerned Babbel is going to get away with the same reason Gombau was sacked 'but Babbel didn't sign these players'.

    I say this season will be a write-off and next season we will ditch the deadweight and take the League apart.

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    12 hours ago, hawks2767 said:

    I'm concerned Babbel is going to get away with the same reason Gombau was sacked 'but Babbel didn't sign these players'.

    I say this season will be a write-off and next season we will ditch the deadweight and take the League apart.

    The difference there is structure there and there is potential here even if our team is average. Babbel is playing with what he has, unlike Gombau who sacrificed the season despite the investment already made by the club

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    12 hours ago, andypk said:

    This is probably the least optimistic I have been leading into a season since season one.  We just don't look strong enough at the back nor commanding in midfield. Llorente doesn't seem to have improved his defensive frailties and Hamill is only an average centre back at best in this league. The fact he is our captain is a worry for me. I'm still to be convinced that Roly is our best option on the left yet he's had a lot of game time there throughout the preseason. Sotirio has had way too much game time on the right. I've only seen glimpses of Roberts recently but I'd like to see much more of him this season.

    I'm very impressed with the two new German imports and they will need to be everpresent this season, as will Vedran and Riera if we are to compete anywhere near the top end of the league. The realist in me says, given our preseason, we'll have a similar season to our last in terms of finishing position. I'm hoping MB's tactical nouse will be enough to pick up points where we lost them under Gombau and if he can get the boys playing for him we may scrape into the top 4 or 5.

    Llorente is Llorente he isn’t going to improve his defending, he would have done it by now. 

    My worrry is Smurf’s and victory have set template for winning a league, stack your salary cap towards first XI, use both marquee spots and make sure your foreign players are able to make the difference.

    we haven’t really followed it, still a unused marquee spot (is this the coach or the club not making it available?)

    The Germans and oriol are good, but Roly and Llorente are ok

    we have two many average players and not enough quality 

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    The Babbel "structure" looks very similar to the Gombau "structure". We're playing the same formation. We still have trouble scoring. We still have trouble keeping clean sheets. Opposition teams are still racking up 3 and 4 goals against us.

    We are having an even worse injury toll than under Gombau. Babbel talked about how he wasn't happy with the fitness levels so he started double sessions, now we've got 1 healthy central defender, Vedran hasn't been fit enough to be chosen ahead of Nizic and he's been hurt for 4+ months. Kearyn Baccus has already had a sook and looks to be getting the Babbel treatment and Bridge is probably out until the start of the season as well.

    Last year Gombau got slated because he played Keanu Baccus and Scott against SFC and we lost 5-0. This year, with Riera back in (hurt for the 5-0), Babbel played an even younger midfield duo (Keanu & Grozos) and we get pumped 3-0.

    I'm struggling to find what difference the German "results come first" super coach is making to our team.

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Mack as it stands your point is more than valid. The results haven’t been great in pre season but we all know pre season means **** all, but it could affect the confidence 

    it’s painfully clear Vedran at even 80% fit is our best option I fully expect him to start in Perth. 

    I have no idea how sotorio is better option than fitz it Kamau

    centre mid what can we do baccus who was outstanding for the 12 months leading up to Perth away last season seems from the outside to have attitude issues and we lack quality without him at his best 

    Babel has 2 weeks to be ready, not sure we can grind out the draws ginger boy was getting early on last season whilst he gets this team firing 

     

    Either way it’s great to be almost back 

     

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    I don't get why everyone calls the FFA Cup preseason. They're competitive matches and you win a trophy at the end of it. We should be aiming to win everything as a club, especially a competition we haven't won before. I want us to be the first club to win the plate, the toilet seat, the cup and the ACL.

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites
    13 hours ago, andypk said:

    This is probably the least optimistic I have been leading into a season since season one.  We just don't look strong enough at the back nor commanding in midfield. Llorente doesn't seem to have improved his defensive frailties and Hamill is only an average centre back at best in this league. The fact he is our captain is a worry for me. I'm still to be convinced that Roly is our best option on the left yet he's had a lot of game time there throughout the preseason. Sotirio has had way too much game time. on the right.  I've only seen glimpses of Roberts recently but I'd like to see much more of him this season.

    I'm very impressed with the two new German imports and they will need to be everpresent this season, as will Vedran and Riera if we are to compete anywhere near the top end of the league. The realist in me says, given our preseason, we'll have a similar season to our last in terms of finishing position. I'm hoping MB's tactical nouse will be enough to pick up points where we lost them under Gombau and if he can get the boys playing for him we may scrape into the top 4 or 5.

    Fixed :)

     

    Edited by beatsurrender
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites



    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...