Haliti Screamer Sinks Blacktown City in 2-0 Trial Victory

A Labinot Haliti brace has rocked Lily Homes Stadium giving the Wanderers a 2-0 victory in their toughest hit-out to date.

Ten minutes into the match Haliti took the ball on his left foot just outside the corner of the box. The resulting 20 yard shot slammed into the top corner to open the scoring for the Wanderers.

Controlling the possession and tempo for the rest of the half Wanderers were in control but stoic City defence kept them out when Mark Bridge shot high after a nice passing movement between himself and Trifiro.

The City defence weren't able to keep Haliti out, as he found his range from a Bridge pass and curled the ball for his second. The Wanderers took their 2 goal advantage into half-time.

The 3,472 strong crowd watched as Blacktown turned the game on a more even keel with several substitutions from both sides. Despite numerous attacks from both teams the score remained 2-0 until the full time whistle.

A solid match for the Wanderers as they continue their pre-season preparation. With less than 60 days to go until the A-League opener, manager Tony Popovic is sure to be impressed by the way the team has taken to his tactics. The team have yet to concede a goal, and are attacking and scoring quite freely.

The next match scheduled for the Western Sydney Wanderers is on the 22nd of August, in two weeks time against Sydney United. However it is possible the club will announce another pre-season friendly to take place next week.

Click here to view the article

Good Trial for WS, i like the style of play popa is implementing, lots of runs down the flank, some good passing as well...give it time, this club will go places..

Good to see the RBB going hard, although not as big numbers as the spartans game..

Good win. First half performance was really good I thought. Some excellent ball movement and what a brace from Labinot. 2nd half got bogged down a bit with all the subs.

Also Aaron Mooy, what a player. Absolute pleasure to be able to watch him live.

didn't attend this one and I knew that the one I stayed away from would be the one that would produce screamers haha. dammit. hopefully fox sports covered it or something. And no I didn't stay away because of the $5 entry fee. I stayed home because I'm timepoor, although I did my tax return and owe the guv 90 bucks so that wasnt fun.

appiah kubi wat a talent he is ... came on 2nd half and absolutely took the demons to the cleaners .. top playa and a good kid ... appiah is fine i jus spoke to him .. the phsio thaught he would need an operation but the scans showed he is fine .. so hes back and ready to impress

Good game, spent must of the first half standing a couple of metres from popa. Very interesting.

He had ALOT of encouragement for bridge. Mostly asking four him to hold the ball up and bring others into the play which he did very well. Also directing his defensive duties. Asking him to tuck in from left mid/wing and when to chase the wide ball when the fullback received it. 'Bridgey' responded very well, chasing down with heaps of enthusiasm and running himself to a standstill.

Popa was very frustrated with #2 (Uruguayan left back). Wanted him to stay wider, especially in attack.

Popa loves Hyphen, and fair enough, he's been great.

Mooy continues to be a class above, he's great to watch in the middle of the park.

The tall #9 was a south African trialiast, 21 years old. Looked very average.

Covic was all class as usual.

Elrich was fantastic.

Matty, South American not African.

According to my source, he's only just gotten off the plane, so I'd be inclined to give him a few games / weeks to acclimatise.

He's a tall lad who may be handy in the air.

Also, I didn't mind that he was prepared to shield the ball and hold posession when he had his back to goal.

Good game, spent must of the first half standing a couple of metres from popa. Very interesting.

He had ALOT of encouragement for bridge. Mostly asking four him to hold the ball up and bring others into the play which he did very well. Also directing his defensive duties. Asking him to tuck in from left mid/wing and when to chase the wide ball when the fullback received it. 'Bridgey' responded very well, chasing down with heaps of enthusiasm and running himself to a standstill.

Popa was very frustrated with #2 (Uruguayan left back). Wanted him to stay wider, especially in attack.

Popa loves Hyphen, and fair enough, he's been great.

Mooy continues to be a class above, he's great to watch in the middle of the park.

Covic was all class as usual.

Elrich was fantastic.

Sorry dude i wasnt there last night. Where did Bridge play?

Any chance u can post an estimated line up?

Great to hear Kubi's injury was nothing.

Good to see the RBB going hard, although not as big numbers as the spartans game..

The majority that were standing "in" the RBB last week were really on the fringes and weren't even getting involved.

Those that showed up last night were all into it.

Zero flares also. Was expecting one of those kids to rip one though ;)

Was a good game. I made my way down at the last minute. Was on halfway for the game.

RBB sounded great. Was suprised that no flares went off this time ;)

My only comment is not to chant "RBB, RBB" when a goal is scored. Makes no sense. Come up with something about the team.

The City captain dropped F-Bombs the entire game. Was funny to watch :)

I was working as a volunteer for the club on the membership drive last night. RBB sounded fantastic over near the entrance where the WSWFC tent was. RBB got lots of favourable comments from the crowd too, which was good after a few very negative comments after the two previous games. We have almost 2,000 members now which I think is good in the first week. There appears to be a genuine belief amongst the club people I spoke with that the Wanderers will be the biggest club in the A-League and that is what they are planning for.

I was wandering in half time trying to sign people up and all comments were so positive. The first person I spoke with said he was family to a player. Who? Tarek's cousin. The second person had already signed up - N T-P's aunt. Looks like the players are making sure family are joining up. Good spirit.

I thought the team played together better as a team this game. At first I wasn't sure whether Blacktown City were just better than Blacktown Spartans, or whether we had improved in working together as a team in the week between the two games. I decided on the latter.

Because of the traffic jams to get out of the ground, we went back to Lily's for a drink. Both teams were in the bar with their coaches having a supper that was turned on for them. No, we didn't pinch their food, but it was good to be that close to our team and feel so much part of it all. My husband was chatting to Popa in the men's room of all places!!

Lily's was very grateful to all of you who made a booking. They had put on more staff, but still they had over 100 walk-ins mainly from the local clubs and local area. Lily's had a cracker night too! They certainly run the place better than when it was the Demons Club. I can't see then going broke.

Anyway, great meal, great game, RBB in unison, getting closer to our lads in the bar (and, No, none of them touched alcohol - Popa kept a good eye on them all) - a first rate night all round.

Bring on the next game!

Im a wog so i might be biased but i dont see the problem with a flare or 2, you can buy them from any outdoor place like anaconda or BCF, just adds to the atmosphere, imagine when its time for our 1st game at parra with the RBB in a sea of red & black chanting away, we need to make an impression, & show pppl we mean business, a little bit of red smoke never hurt anybody? Lol

Im a wog so i might be biased but i dont see the problem with a flare or 2, you can buy them from any outdoor place like anaconda or BCF, just adds to the atmosphere, imagine when its time for our 1st game at parra with the RBB in a sea of red & black chanting away, we need to make an impression, & show pppl we mean business, a little bit of red smoke never hurt anybody? Lol

You're welcome to the ban then if you want to let it off

You're welcome to the ban then if you want to let it off

+1

I know what your saying guys, wish they werent so uptight about it thats all, i was at the san siro in 03 for milan vs inter it was absolute mayhem with flares & chanting, sure wsw is nowhere near that level but itd be nice to keep that passion, hopefully the RBB is huge & crazy support this season..im picking up my membership next week (monthly pay, king for a week lol)

I know what your saying guys, wish they werent so uptight about it thats all, i was at the san siro in 03 for milan vs inter it was absolute mayhem with flares & chanting, sure wsw is nowhere near that level but itd be nice to keep that passion, hopefully the RBB is huge & crazy support this season..im picking up my membership next week (monthly pay, king for a week lol)

Matty, South American not African.

According to my source, he's only just gotten off the plane, so I'd be inclined to give him a few games / weeks to acclimatise.

He's a tall lad who may be handy in the air.

Also, I didn't mind that he was prepared to shield the ball and hold posession when he had his back to goal.

Ninety percent sure he was South African. Tall, pale guy up front, not the left back. Anyway, he was rubbish, didn't see him successfully hold it up once.

As far as I could tell line up looked like this....

Only one I'm unsure of is who played in behind the striker

..........................Covic..............................

Elrich...Dappuzo...NTS...Uruguyan LB

..................Caira.......Mooy....................

Haliti......................?....................Bridge

..........................Sth A #9........................

Edited by MattyB