Adelaide And Wanderers In Scrappy Penrith Draw

The first Western Sydney Wanderers match in Penrith resulted in a scrappy and physical 1-1 draw.

An 7th minute own goal to Nigel Boogaard following some stellar work by Tahj Minniecon was cancelled out by an equaliser to Sergio Cirio minutes after the resumption of play in the second half.

The Wanderers were the dominant force for much of the match with Minniecon and then Youssouf Hersi providing much of the danger to the Adelaide backline. Tomi Juric managed to stick the ball in the back of the net only to have his goal rubbed out for a push.

Juric had a golden chance to pick up a goal when put through on goal after a great combination play between Minniecon and Mooy, but Eugene Galekovic stood tall and turned the ball around the post.

Opinion: Several unfamiliar combinations were on show in this match, with the most prominent being Minniecon & Jerome Polenz down the right in the first half. Minniecon looked sharp and combined well with Polenz. Despite putting the ball home (albeit illegally) Tomi Juric lacked a lot of direction when defending from the front. There were multiple occasions throughout the match that he pressed the wrong player, or failed to press, allowing Adelaide to easily get the ball forward. I'm sure Popa will work on this as the season draws closer. Aaron Mooy often looked to me to be playing more as a second striker than an attacking midfield playmaker, as he ghosted in behind the defence as Tomi Juric came deeper or wider to receive the ball. The second half followed a much more typical Wanderers attacking setup, with numerous switches of play with pinpoint diagonal passes.

Neither side would be too disheartened by the draw, despite being physical it was held in good nature and the players on both sides came together after the match for a short discussion. Another strong workout for the Wanderers and it bodes well for the rest of the pre-season and round 1 against the Mariners.

The Wanderers next match is on Sunday the 29th of September against Melbourne Victory, in Tasmania.

Click here to view the article

Still very much preseason and at no stage did popa run out our best 11 together. When hersi and polenz linked we looked good down that edge.

Saw no Barcelona in Adelaide though.

Any word on attendance?

i think i heard 18k could be wrong though

Can't really tell too much as players were coming on and off and conditions were quite hot. When we had Hersi, Bridge and Shinji on we looked a lot more dangerous. Still worried about our left hand side though as they opened us up on that side in the second half. All the usual starters looked pretty good (especially Mooy).

Wasn't too impressed with Juric in all honesty. Seems to spend more time mouthing of at his own team mates than doing anything else. He also needs to press and chase a bit more and put pressure on their defence. Other than that, maybe a draw is a good result as it will make sure we aren't complacent when the new season begins.

Still very much preseason and at no stage did popa run out our best 11 together. When hersi and polenz linked we looked good down that edge.Saw no Barcelona in Adelaide though.Any word on attendance?

There was no way there was 18k there. You probably mistook it for 8k.

The change in style from WSW with no Dino up front, less booming clearances from NTS and obviously the chopping and changing of personnel had an effect. However I think there were a lot of positives and in terms of genuine chances the guys had more than Mini-Barca SA. Lo is a definite prospect...

Still very much preseason and at no stage did popa run out our best 11 together. When hersi and polenz linked we looked good down that edge.Saw no Barcelona in Adelaide though.Any word on attendance?

There was no way there was 18k there. You probably mistook it for 8k.

8k far more realistic

Im pretty happy with that performance. Adelaide played a lot more of their starting XI for a lot more of the game than we did and if we had our shooting boots on we'd have put a few through them.

Mooy had a great game (although he turned the ball over for the goal). Minnecon was really good although he doesn't have the understanding with Polenz that Hersi has. There were a few times where Polenz made a good overlapping run and Minnecon looked inside and didn't see him. Lo impresses me more and more every time I see him play. For a young bloke he already looks A-League ready although he's got some stiff competition in the middle of the park.

As we get closer to the start of the season I think we'll see less changes and our performances will get even better.

Juric needs to adjust to our pressing style. Was completely lost at some points.

I would rather go with Haliti or Santalab as striker in our first game, but I know Popa won't do that. Haliti impressed me in the first half with his chasing and looked dangerous when attacking the goal.

Looked to me we were trying a more passing and possession style in the first half through Mooy, then in second half saw more switches to the flanks with Hersi. Tactically there was a world of difference between where we were offensively last season contrasted to today. Defence was still damned solid aside from that one brain fade.

Must say Juric didn't jump out of the pack as I expected. Needs more time to learn out systems and structures I guess.

Didn't feel the same without Dino!   :sorry:

she'll be right, juric will cover for us pretty well.

his pressing and positioning was pretty good, so we have a lot to look foreword to.,

Hope you're right...but for me, it's about the heart rather than the head ( ie positioning and pressing)...if you know what I mean. I missed Dino galloping around, I missed the occasional fist pump, the Dino, Dino chant .... :(   It's OK... I'll get used to it , I guess. 

Didn't feel the same without Dino!   :sorry:

she'll be right, juric will cover for us pretty well. his pressing and positioning was pretty good, so we have a lot to look foreword to.,

Hope you're right...but for me, it's about the heart rather than the head ( ie positioning and pressing)...if you know what I mean. I missed Dino galloping around, I missed the occasional fist pump, the Dino, Dino chant .... :(   It's OK... I'll get used to it , I guess.

You're right. Juric is very good technically (better than Dino). But we also need the heart.

I think everyone might have jumped the gun on Juric a bit. Obviously he looks a decent player, but he's still only played seven A-League games (and a few overseas). In terms of last years strikers it's probably more accurate comparing him and Gibbs, and that's definitely a favourable comparison.

He'll come good. Just needs to work hard and learn of the players around him. He still only 22 years age. I saw him at one stage of the game give Mooy a 30 second spray because he didn't pass the ball to him. A bit rich..

I think everyone might have jumped the gun on Juric a bit. Obviously he looks a decent player, but he's still only played seven A-League games (and a few overseas). In terms of last years strikers it's probably more accurate comparing him and Gibbs, and that's definitely a favourable comparison.

He'll come good. Just needs to work hard and learn of the players around him. He still only 22 years age. I saw him at one stage of the game give Mooy a 30 second spray because he didn't pass the ball to him. A bit rich..

He'll want to cut that **** out if he wants to fit in. We are a team.

See Hersi fire up? Apparently there is no such thing as a friendly with this guy. He was letting his team mates have it.

Not convinved with Minnecon tbh.

He may prove me wrong (so much of this team does) but there seems to be a lot of running but he needs the tactical awareness too.

Agree Juric seemed lost at times but its early days.

Mooy was getting bashed around in the mids.

Edited by westofcentre

We started off in top gear with three new chants that boomed and hinted at a phenomenal season ahead for us. I think as the heat got to us some of the old favourites sounded tired though the new 'eastern suburbs...' was a surprise packet. I got so caught up I forgot about The Poznan but remembered the steps once the dance started. We all impressively carried on even after a bunch of blokes in jerseys walked off the park in front of us. Someone next to me mumbled about a game having been played whilst the RBB was chanting but I'm sure that's a bit far fetched...I didn't even get the whiff of a sparkler going off. Napalm on the Nepean Not. 

I must've been watching a different game (inb4youwere) me and my mates thought Mooy say a little slow and /or lazy tbh.

Bridge and Hersi were stand outs.

Minniecon was good, coming along nicely.

Lo continues to impress for a young fella.

Our different (dino-less) style of play is obvious and nicer to watch. We looked alot better in transition than when we had comfortable possession (I get the feeling that's something Popa is working on).

We'll do quite well to finish top 3 this season.

Adelaide looked pretty good and they'll be a force this season.

First half was great I agree, but the mass-substitutions really hurt us in the second half and it settled down.

Adelaide had two great chances that weren't put away - firstly that free header which went over the crossbar, Tyson was rooted to the spot.

And then the brain fade from Deano in the 90th minute on the throw-in when the thrower lobbed the ball over him to some Adelaide player who volleyed across the face of goal.

And of course Juric had that one-on-one which for the life of me I'm not sure why he didn't put away. Guess he thought he had more time.

I was sitting near there so I had a great view of those chances and... yeah.

Took a while to get used to the whole wearing the jersey, "WE SING FOR WANDERERS!", watching the RBB do their thing thing - but I guess those bugs will be out of the system by Round 1.

Was a nice pre-season game. Some drunk guy two rows in front of me started hitting on some fifteen year olds... or at least I think he was hitting on them. Chatting them up. Dunno. That was pretty memorable.

Also I think I heard Glorious for the first time proper, and I retract my previous statement of, "I've never heard it before" because I can remember the vocalising parts from last season. I just didn't know what chant that was from.