Football And The Media

Admin: This thread is for discussion of Football and it's relationship to the media. Such as media personalities, bias in the media and news about the people who report on football.

Please keep in mind that general news articles can be given their own threads in an appropriate subforum if it is a general news item.

Derby week! 

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/wanderers-signing-nikita-rukavytsya-ready-to-play-starring-role-in-saturdays-sydney-derby/story-e6frf4gl-1227133527040

Wanderers signing Nikita Rukavytsya ready to play starring role in Saturday’s Sydney derby

Carly Adno The Daily Telegraph November 24, 2014 8:59PM 0

NIKITA Rukavytsya was confined to the stands during last month’s Sydney derby, but this weekend the Wanderers’ forward will be expected to play a starring role on the field.

The bragging rights are with Sydney FC, at least until Saturday, after they came from behind to earn a thrilling 3-2 victory at Allianz Stadium in October.

Rukavytsya had only just arrived at Western Sydney and the game came too soon for him, but the 27-year-old has settled in the six weeks since.

He is beginning to combine well with fellow new signings Romeo Castelen and Vitor Saba, as well as with the dangerous Tomi Juric up front, and Rukavystya is confident the team’s first A-League win of the season is imminent.
The Wanderers lost their opening four matches and could only manage draws in their last two games at home.

Nikita Rukavytsya of the Wanderers is ready for this weekend’s Sydney derby.

“As a team we’re gelling together,†Rukavytsya said.

“With each game we’re getting stronger and creating much more chances. It was only our second start together all of us (at the weekend) and I think for these two games we did some great things.

“The tough start is just because we haven’t won a game yet. But everything is great - we have a great team, we have great players and I think we’re starting to play better and better with each game. We have had a lot of opportunities, but the ball unfortunately is not going in for us at the moment. It’s not a problem - if we keep creating those chances the goals will come and once they come everything will be good.â€

Since leaving Perth Glory in 2009 Rukavytsya has played all his club football in Europe. He has been part of major derby games across Germany and in Holland and has experienced the passionate support clubs over there receive.

But Rukavytsya says Wanderers fans are at the same level and he is looking forward to their support going up a notch against the Sky Blues in Parramatta.

“I didn’t quite expect that,†he admitted.

“It’s something you see in Europe, where their support is amazing no matter the result, so it’s great to see something like this happen in Australia.

“Derby games are important because it’s important for the fans. For us it’s just another game - we take each game as an important one and this is no different. We’re looking to win every game, but for the supporters it’s a big game because they are in the same city.â€
Edited by blurbel

There's talk again about one of the three derbies to be played at ANZ, and more talk about a major upgrade or complete rebuild at Parra.

http://m.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/western-sydney-wanderers/western-sydney-wanderers-and-sydney-fc-in-talks-with-ffa-to-play-derby-games-at-anz-stadium-20141124-11sl4q.html

By MICHAEL CHAMMAS

Football Federation Australia are in discussions with Western Sydney and Sydney FC to play one of the three annual Sydney derbies at ANZ Stadium from next season.

FFA chief executive David Gallop is negotiating plans with both clubs to help maximise the potential of the cross-town rivalry, in a deal that could enable both clubs to split $500,000

At least 30,000 fans will be denied a chance to watch this Saturday's Sydney derby at Pirtek Stadium, with the Wanderers opting to play in familiar surroundings in front of 19,000 fans rather than moving the game to Sydney Olympic Park to attract a larger crowd.

The FFA don't have the authority to over-rule the Wanderers during the regular season, but they are in talks with Western Sydney and Sydney FC to work out an arrangement that could bring 70,000 people to a neutral venue.

The Wanderers and Sydney FC play three matches each season and the FFA hopes both clubs can host one game at their respective home grounds, with the third game to be played at ANZ Stadium.

The logistics of the exercise are still unclear. A gate-sharing option has been discussed for the clubs to split the profit from what is fast becoming the hottest show in town. Members of both clubs would have reciprocal rights if the match goes ahead at the Sydney Olympic Park venue.

"If we're leaving people outside the stadium or they are unable to get a ticket, then we need to be looking at making sure they can see the game and maximise the potential that the game creates," Gallop said on Monday.

"Subject to their contractual commitments, the [Wanderers] are also keen to explore those options. It's certainly something we need to explore and make sure that both club's financial positions are protected

"ANZ obviously has the capacity to allow more fans to see the games and is something we are keen to look carefully at."

This year the Wanderers have two of the three games in their backyard, meaning Sydney FC might have to give up a financial gain next season for the long term benefit of both the club and the game in Sydney.

At the first Sydney derby on October 17 at Allianz Stadium a sold-out crowd of 41,213 turned out to watch Sydney FC's come-from-behind 3-2 win.

It was the third consecutive 40,000-plus crowd for the derby at Allianz Stadium. Six of the seven contests have been sold out.

It is believed a game at ANZ Stadium could attract 70,000 but their has been some resistance from the Wanderers given the club's priority is for an upgrade of Pirtek Stadium.

"I think the people of Western Sydney, whether it's the Wanderers or another sport, I think the region deserves to be given the respect in terms of its infrastructure on a number of fronts," Wanderers chief executive John Tsatsimas said.

"They deserve to have the same opportunities as everyone else. We're not saying we need a 50,000-seat stadium but we need to do something more reflective of Parramatta being the second CBD. We're focused on Parramatta Stadium. We maintain that the stadium needs to be significantly upgraded and, if not, a new stadium built on that site.

"We're currently around the 19,000 mark in terms of memberships, which is phenomenal. But if we had a stadium that caters for 32,000 we'd be comfortable with that and we'd like to test the theory as to how big we can get."

Gallop reiterated the importance of upgrading Pirtek Stadium for football in Sydney.

"We've said for a long time the Wanderers are going to bust out of Parramatta, if they haven't already," Gallop said.

"Parramatta needs to be renovated. We don't believe that anything less than a 30,000 to 35,000-seat stadium is going to be anything other than a Bandaid solution.

"We support the general upgrade of stadiums across the city but we've certainly said for some time that Parramatta is a priority as far as the Wanderers are concerned and therefore for football."

We've got to be happy when they say up to $300m will be available to parramatta, my only concern is that the NSW govt needs to be careful, upgrade it to 32k-35k in stage 1 and then upgrade it otherwise you can see Stadium Australia demanding a renegotiation of the contract but that doesn't make sense in having to upgrade the venue by 5k seats. With $300m we wouldn't need to upgrade, we could knock down and rebuild Parramatta into a world class venue we have been demanding!! Anything less than $150-$200m means we would have to be happy with an upgrade to $32m

The place to get all your factual news in an unfactual way. A place for all budding Western Sydney Wanderers writers and journos to expose the truth.

Arnold Blasts Stadium, Fortune, FFA and Refs

Graham Arnold has let loose this afternoon on what he sees as a concerted and coordinated effort by the FFA, referees and clubs to undermine Sydney FC’s tilt for the title.

“Isn’t it obvious?†he said when responding to questions from journalists as to why his club is on the receiving end of such treatment.

“Look at our game earlier this season against the Roar. Broich injures himself in the pre-match warm up providing a massive distraction for our team. Perhaps Mulvey had something to do with it. Maybe he told Broich to injure himself as a ploy.â€

When queried about Terry Antonis coincidental and timely “injury†which ruled him out of international duty, and subsequently made him available for the recent Big Blue, before the FFA stepped in, Arnold scoffed “you’re joking aren’t you mate, players get injured all the time, nothing we can do.â€

Arnold proceeded to describe the injury of Djite in Sydney FC's clash against Adelaide as further evidence of unethical tactics employed by the clubs, before stating that it reached its crescendo with Melbourne Victory playing Sydney with 6 players out for various reasons.

“It’s got to stop†said Arnold, who added “clearly despite these setbacks for us, we have been the superior team all season, in every game we have playedâ€.

Graham “sookie la la “ Arnold as he is known by some fans, then set his sights on the refs. When asked whether he is exerting undue influence on the referees by having regular conversations with the head of the body he retorted “someone has to keep them honest, I mean did you realize they are employed by the FFA? If that isn’t a conflict of interest then what is? I think we should be mindful of the FFA’s role in all of this.â€

Sookie la la (their words not ours) continued “I mean look at the treatment some of our key players have received. Ognenovski went to help an opposition player suffering from cramp during the last derby by advising his fellow team mate to step back and give the injured player some air and he has been vilified.

And don’t get me started about poor old Seb Ryall. Trying to add another dimension to his game, by incorporating the waist high rugby tackle, and he is berated from pillar to post for trying to improve his game.â€

Sookie continued “we can’t keep going on like this. Referees giving cards to the opposition players, so they can garner sympathy from the stands. Aren’t my players worthy of such special treatment?â€

Arnold excused himself from the conference, before departing with some words of advice “the derby this week, yet again favoritism. Western Sydney had over 10,000 fans at the SFS. An unfair advantage on our home ground. Why hasn’t the FFA banned all Wanderers fans from Pirtek to even things out?  We saw Adelaide pull the reverse stunt in the FFA cup. We had 3,000 turn up at the SFS. Very few Adelaide supporters. But the media, you lot fell for the ploy and blamed us for the low turn out. Where were their fans? Just disgraceful."

Guest ZipGunBop

This thread is going to be fun.

I've got a journo $hit list as long as your arm.

*loads shotgun.

Payback time.

(p.s, do you mean "The Anti-Football Media thread?", or are we supposed to be writing anti-football stuff?

I want to attack poor journalism, not football!)

Mariners looking to move more games into Sydney

"Quote:

Central Coast Mariners owner Mike Charlesworth revealed he is seeking a mandate from Football Federation Australia to expand the club's supporter base by playing more matches in North Sydney next season to ensure its survival.
By David Lewis
25 NOV 2014 - 5:46 AM UPDATED 1 HOUR AGO

With crowds down in Gosford and losses mounting, Charlesworth – who rescued the club from extinction with a $4 million cash injection 20 months ago – said he was no longer prepared to keep funding the Mariners unless they were allowed to expand south where he plans to stage several ‘home’ games at North Sydney Oval in 2015-2016.

Discussions have been on-going with CEO David Gallop and a business plan has been presented to the governing body.

After 18 months of talks North Sydney Council last week committed to a stadium upgrade to further aid the Mariners' cause.

"The model of playing all our home games on the Coast just doesn't work and I am not willing to finance that forever," said Charlesworth who expects to lose at least $1 million this season.

"Nobody is interested in buying a share of the club in its current form, so the options are to either expand south or move altogether to another city which would be such a shame.

"Our primary goal is to remain firmly on the Central Coast and based out of our wonderful centre of excellence but playing games at North Sydney should be a vital part of our business plan going forward.

"It's a question of playing a few games a year in North Sydney or potentially not playing any games at all – that's ultimately the choice.

"We need a model that works and no administration in the last 10 years of this club's history has achieved that, the club was over $4million in debt when I took over last year.â€

"The FFA is listening to us and giving us an opportunity and it's up to us to show it can work."

The club is hoping to attract a crowd in excess of 10,000 for Friday week’s one-off visit of Melbourne Victory to North Sydney Oval as proof to the ruling body of the Mariners viability in becoming Sydney FC’s newest noisy neighbour.

"The game against Melbourne Victory is important strategically for us and I am sure we’re going to deliver a great event," said Charlesworth.

"It’s going to be a football party and I think it will attract fans from all over the city – not just Mariners and Victory supporters. It's going to be a fun night out.

"Yes, Sydney FC may have some reservations – and they have made that clear in the past. However, I believe more competition in the Sydney market is healthly.

"Look at the example of the Wanderers whose arrival has boosted interest in Sydney FC and galvanised their own supporters. Statistically the Sydney market is much bigger than Melbourne in terms of those who play and watch the game on TV.

"That, to me, shows you can justify a third presence in Sydney."

Sky Blues chairman Scott Barlow earlier this year expressed his opposition to any expansion by the Mariners into what he sees as Sydney FC territory just eight kilometres from Allianz Stadium.

But Charlesworth insists the Mariners could go under if they remain entirely on the Central Coast where average crowds have slipped from 9,374 to 7,619.

The break-even figure at North Sydney is around 6000 as opposed to 10,000 in Gosford and the announcement of the club's north shore academy earlier this month in a tie up with Northbridge FC – in addition to its A-League game against Wellington in Sydney last December – underlines its desire to build a supporter base in Sydney.

"It’s our ultimate goal to have 4-5000 fans from Northern Sydney travelling up to watch games in Gosford and hopefully making a weekend out of it," Charlesworth said.

"We can be the best tool for economic regeneration of Central Coast tourist industry. Ultimately we are based on the Central Coast – and that's not going to change - but other dynamics need to be in place, so it’s important that our supporters get behind us fully and support the campaign.

"To have a presence in Sydney is something which can make us a viable entity and secure the club's future."

One key criteria in the Mariners’ advance is the North Sydney Oval upgrade.

"It’s something which the FFA has quite rightly insisted upon and we have ticked that box," the Central Coast owner said.

"The lighting will be improved, and a number of other changes to the stadium will be completed over the next year or so."

Charlesworth insists, other than keeping the club alive, he is intent on "adding value to the A-League".

"Unfortunately we are consistently bottom of the TV viewing figures across the league, few people outside the Central Coast watch us on TV so we provide less value commercially today to the the FFA than other clubs.

"Playing games in Sydney can significantly change that dynamic as its by far the biggest TV market across the country."

Charlesworth also has doubts over possibly moving the club to other areas such as Wollongong, Sutherland shire or west Brisbane and said: “For me nowhere really stands out.

"It would be far better to play regular games in North Sydney whilst maintaining the Central Coast as our physical and spiritual home."
Edited by beatsurrender

If mariners move their games to sydney, does that mean if an expansion club in sydney starts, they will be the 4th sydney team :ninja:

Also, WOC, your made up press conferences are far more intriguing and fun to read than the actual ones :)

If the mariners move permanently to north sydney then there wont be a new expansion team in sydney, or at least there shouldn't be, 

The FFA should put their resources into making the mariners stronger so they can be financially independent and stable

CCM vs VIC Friday week at North Sydney. Hmmm. I might be interested in that. Sounds like a nice outing.

Other than that: a partial move of the CCM seems inevitable. If all they need is a crowd of 6000 to break even then its a no brainer.

I hope that we'll have an away game there some time.

The Guardians post week analysis of tactics. This week the focus is on us

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/nov/25/a-league-tactics-how-wanderers-strength-became-pressing-problem

They are talking about the gaps being created by La Rocca and Poljak pushing forward

I don't understand positioning and tactics as well as some of you other folk on this forum, so interested to hear what forumites think

CCM vs VIC Friday week at North Sydney. Hmmm. I might be interested in that. Sounds like a nice outing.

Other than that: a partial move of the CCM seems inevitable. If all they need is a crowd of 6000 to break even then its a no brainer.

Hmmmmmm..........I think some sticker bombing around North Sydney might be called for.

Hmmmmmm..........I think some sticker bombing around North Sydney might be called for.

Should merge esfc with ccm eastern sydney mariners yellow, navy blue and sky blue colours they can still keep the nautical themes going too with the cove and pirate type **** they have 😂😂😂 2 birds 1 stone and all...

Anyone listen to big sports breakfast? I know everyone hates it. Some guy rang in and asked tk and slats what they thought about wsw aligning itself with the croatian community he went on to claim wsw a croatian club and with croatian fans.

To their credit tk and slats would not have any off it. But tk did say mark bosnich was saying there were too many cros signed in their first year.

some greasy esfc fan trying to start crap for the derby. His name was dellis.

Guest NSWanderer15

Hey Arnold, shut your gob you hypocrite where is your 20,000+ crowd to support your team EVERY home game! Rich boy can't handle the heat so wants to be a sooky lala. Hope they drop miserably at the end for the lols!

Anyone listen to big sports breakfast? I know everyone hates it. Some guy rang in and asked tk and slats what they thought about wsw aligning itself with the croatian community he went on to claim wsw a croatian club and with croatian.

To their credit tk and slats would not have any off it.

I get sick of hearing **** like that and it is only mentioned by the uneducated thick trouble stirers... yeah we have a few players and coach with croatian heritage but last time i checked the squad has many different nationalities making the numbers plus a very unique multicultural support base... suprise suprise!! the team is also based in western sydney which represents the area and these mixed demographics quite well.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/nov/25/a-league-tactics-how-wanderers-strength-became-pressing-problem

They are talking about the gaps being created by La Rocca and Poljak pushing forward

I don't understand positioning and tactics as well as some of you other folk on this forum, so interested to hear what forumites think

I love analysis, since it's something that something a lot of us don't see - but it might be worth seeing the tactical approach and this sort of thing this Saturday.

There's talk again about one of the three derbies to be played at ANZ, and more talk about a major upgrade or complete rebuild at Parra.

http://m.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/western-sydney-wanderers/western-sydney-wanderers-and-sydney-fc-in-talks-with-ffa-to-play-derby-games-at-anz-stadium-20141124-11sl4q.html

By MICHAEL CHAMMAS

Football Federation Australia are in discussions with Western Sydney and Sydney FC to play one of the three annual Sydney derbies at ANZ Stadium from next season.

FFA chief executive David Gallop is negotiating plans with both clubs to help maximise the potential of the cross-town rivalry, in a deal that could enable both clubs to split $500,000

At least 30,000 fans will be denied a chance to watch this Saturday's Sydney derby at Pirtek Stadium, with the Wanderers opting to play in familiar surroundings in front of 19,000 fans rather than moving the game to Sydney Olympic Park to attract a larger crowd.

The FFA don't have the authority to over-rule the Wanderers during the regular season, but they are in talks with Western Sydney and Sydney FC to work out an arrangement that could bring 70,000 people to a neutral venue.

The Wanderers and Sydney FC play three matches each season and the FFA hopes both clubs can host one game at their respective home grounds, with the third game to be played at ANZ Stadium.

The logistics of the exercise are still unclear. A gate-sharing option has been discussed for the clubs to split the profit from what is fast becoming the hottest show in town. Members of both clubs would have reciprocal rights if the match goes ahead at the Sydney Olympic Park venue.

"If we're leaving people outside the stadium or they are unable to get a ticket, then we need to be looking at making sure they can see the game and maximise the potential that the game creates," Gallop said on Monday.

"Subject to their contractual commitments, the [Wanderers] are also keen to explore those options. It's certainly something we need to explore and make sure that both club's financial positions are protected

"ANZ obviously has the capacity to allow more fans to see the games and is something we are keen to look carefully at."

This year the Wanderers have two of the three games in their backyard, meaning Sydney FC might have to give up a financial gain next season for the long term benefit of both the club and the game in Sydney.

At the first Sydney derby on October 17 at Allianz Stadium a sold-out crowd of 41,213 turned out to watch Sydney FC's come-from-behind 3-2 win.

It was the third consecutive 40,000-plus crowd for the derby at Allianz Stadium. Six of the seven contests have been sold out.

It is believed a game at ANZ Stadium could attract 70,000 but their has been some resistance from the Wanderers given the club's priority is for an upgrade of Pirtek Stadium.

"I think the people of Western Sydney, whether it's the Wanderers or another sport, I think the region deserves to be given the respect in terms of its infrastructure on a number of fronts," Wanderers chief executive John Tsatsimas said.

"They deserve to have the same opportunities as everyone else. We're not saying we need a 50,000-seat stadium but we need to do something more reflective of Parramatta being the second CBD. We're focused on Parramatta Stadium. We maintain that the stadium needs to be significantly upgraded and, if not, a new stadium built on that site.

"We're currently around the 19,000 mark in terms of memberships, which is phenomenal. But if we had a stadium that caters for 32,000 we'd be comfortable with that and we'd like to test the theory as to how big we can get."

Gallop reiterated the importance of upgrading Pirtek Stadium for football in Sydney.

"We've said for a long time the Wanderers are going to bust out of Parramatta, if they haven't already," Gallop said.

"Parramatta needs to be renovated. We don't believe that anything less than a 30,000 to 35,000-seat stadium is going to be anything other than a Bandaid solution.

"We support the general upgrade of stadiums across the city but we've certainly said for some time that Parramatta is a priority as far as the Wanderers are concerned and therefore for football."

I actually don't mind playing 1/3 games at ANZ. As long as we get one at home, and they get one at home, it is still fair. I mean, the bragging rights of Sydney Derby are huge, and as a wsw fan it would suck for 2/3 to be plaid at Allianz(vice versa for an ESFC fan).

That being said, I'm still completely against upgrading ANZ, and don't wish for any other matches to be played there apart from that one sydney derby each season.

Interesting article bit of a football tragic happy to throw in 2 cents. 

I start by ranting on about what Wenger replied to see young chick recently in a post match dummy spit.

Why do you want to blame someone? was his response when asked why Arsenal are well oh **** these days.

Same rule applies here? Someone has to be scapegoat and for some reason La Rocca and Poljak are coping it.

I don't really buy into the article because if you look at most of the goals we have conceded (apart from Flores on the weekend when he wasn't tracked) I don't know how you can blame La Rocca and Poljak for a great lost. Victory game was a freaking write off for all Perth we let the kids go over, We saw Mullen have a brain snap in Wellington and Syd FC we just had the whole team switched off 2nd half.

Against both Mariners and Jets with them in the team the opposition didn't create a lot and we weren't clinical enough. 

We are pretty close and a win over Syd FC and you won't hear anyone questioning their play or some people who claim we miss Mooy. Which as someone mentioned in the post game is comical seeing he was bagged last year as much as many including myself have bagged Kubi this season. 

If anything I like the fact that even La Rocca or Poljak are breaking the shackles and venturing forward as long as they are mature and realise when to go and when to sit.

Anyone listen to big sports breakfast? I know everyone hates it. Some guy rang in and asked tk and slats what they thought about wsw aligning itself with the croatian community he went on to claim wsw a croatian club and with croatian fans.

To their credit tk and slats would not have any off it. But tk did say mark bosnich was saying there were too many cros signed in their first year.

This shïts me to death. Do you think I would go out and sing for a Croatian club? How retarded are these people...

That type of mentality will be very hard to get rid off. People just love being separated. From one side the tribalism is good, but not in ethnic sense in this context. I know plenty of Western Sydney based Serbians who would rather go for SFC than WSW because were a 'Croatian' club, then I've heard nonsense such as Victory are a Greek club, ESFC Jews (alright that one might make sense :) ) and so on. Seriously, grow the **** up. None of us are ethnic clubs.

Interesting article bit of a football tragic happy to throw in 2 cents. 

I start by ranting on about what Wenger replied to see young chick recently in a post match dummy spit.

Why do you want to blame someone? was his response when asked why Arsenal are well oh **** these days.

Same rule applies here? Someone has to be scapegoat and for some reason La Rocca and Poljak are coping it.

I don't really buy into the article because if you look at most of the goals we have conceded (apart from Flores on the weekend when he wasn't tracked) I don't know how you can blame La Rocca and Poljak for a great lost. Victory game was a freaking write off for all Perth we let the kids go over, We saw Mullen have a brain snap in Wellington and Syd FC we just had the whole team switched off 2nd half.

Against both Mariners and Jets with them in the team the opposition didn't create a lot and we weren't clinical enough. 

We are pretty close and a win over Syd FC and you won't hear anyone questioning their play or some people who claim we miss Mooy. Which as someone mentioned in the post game is comical seeing he was bagged last year as much as many including myself have bagged Kubi this season. 

If anything I like the fact that even La Rocca or Poljak are breaking the shackles and venturing forward as long as they are mature and realise when to go and when to sit.

EnMac

I have to disagree, our press is off this season, yes you can pick many reasons why we have lost the games or drawn as you have but our pressing game has been off. But you can't blame la Rocca and poljak that our front four haven't been that successful in our press. It's a bit like saying it's covic's fault that we have had so many goals scored this season, when in fact it is the whole teams fault that it went through forwards to defence to the goal keeper. I'd say that our front four especially juric/saba aren't as mobile or fast to press the opposition into a mistake, the slowness in doing so allows the opposition to play out from the goal keeper.

Also, the Flores issue on Saturday was not just when we were pressing but in many times during the first half. It was astounding how many times Flores just drifted between midfield to defence finding holes in our structure to pick up the ball and wreck havoc on us. One example would have been the shot that Flores had that rocketed off the post where he was drifting on the outside of the box just behind our two CDM's and the goal when he drifted from our CDM's to in between our CB's to pick up the ball & score a goal. I'm sure Popa will pick up on these things and rectify this in the coming weeks.

Gunner

I think if there is someone to blame, problems and mistakes need to be identified! We can't just sweep it under the carpet and just hope that nobody else realises or exploits the problem. I have a lot of respect for Wenger but I can't see how many Arsenal fans are happy with the teams ineptness and happy to not want to be the best. Wenger needs to have a good hard look at himself, in the last few years he has lost his way and he needs to be ruthless if he wants to be the best.

In saying that I think that the blame for the pressing issue is not entirely on la Rocca and poljak but rather a wider issue that the press is not working for everyone involved for the front four and the two DCM's. In saying that, we have had an issue with opposition players getting in between our DCM's and CB's but communication is the issue not individual players, maybe a bit of ball watching too.

On missing mooy, we miss a player that has a wide passing range in the DCM role. La Rocca and poljak have had issues in the last few weeks linking up with our front players because it is not one of the strength's of there games. I think you'll find against more attacking teams that play through the middle, la Rocca and poljak break up the play beautifully however when the opposition sits back/deep they find it hard for the killer defense splitting pass. Mooy was asking for too much, $$$ which is why we didn't resign him and one of the main reasons why we are missing him is because we haven't replaced him yet in the squad. Yes Mooy was bagged last season as he was really inconsistent and I don't think we ever got to see the best of him at WSW but just glimpses of what he could do instead. So for all the strengths that Mooy brought to WSW playing a more attack/passing minded CM in CDM there were very many negatives. The other thing you need to remember is that Mooy was placed second in WSF's player of the season award which means that many of the members who voted realised what Mooy contributed to our team when we was playing at his best or even if it was just glimpses.

This shïts me to death. Do you think I would go out and sing for a Croatian club? How retarded are these people...

That type of mentality will be very hard to get rid off. People just love being separated. From one side the tribalism is good, but not in ethnic sense in this context. I know plenty of Western Sydney based Serbians who would rather go for SFC than WSW because were a 'Croatian' club, then I've heard nonsense such as Victory are a Greek club, ESFC Jews (alright that one might make sense :) ) and so on. Seriously, grow the **** up. None of us are ethnic clubs.

I think you'll find that Fashlob has some pretty out there views when it comes to the way that Popa has picked younger and older Croatians to play for our club, suggesting that there is a heavy bias. However now that we have a Jewish part owner and John T managing the club, the link to Croatian clubs & fans would be similar to the relationship that is shared with Marconi, I can't see there being anymore to it than that! I know the way we have selected certain Croatian players has left a sour taste in SOME fans of other nationalities but I think it had less to do with WSW and more to do with other political issues.