Club World Cup Ends With Shootout Loss

The debut of the Western Sydney Wanderers in the Club World Cup ended on a losing note after Es Setif emerged victorious after a see-sawing 90 minutes that finished 2-2 and was immediately followed by a penalty shootout that ES Setif won 5-4.

Playing a mix of youth and first team players, the Wanderers came out of the blocks strongly and took the lead in just the fourth minute as Romeo Castelen found the back of the net for the first time with his new club. Labinot Haliti's mazy run lead to a lay-off to the flying winger who blasted a screamer from the edge of the area that gave the African Champions keeper no chance.

After the break it took 5 minutes for Setif to equalise through a Daniel Mullen own goal and another 7 to take the lead through Abdelmalik Ziaya who took advantage of statuesque Wanderers defending to toepoke past Dean Bouzanis.

With 2 minutes left in regulation time, Vitor Saba also notched his first goal for the Wanderers, a wonderful free kick. With that the game went directly into penalties with no extra time.

It was not a quality shootout, with Djahnit, Labinot Haliti & Ziaya all missing in the initial set of shots. Ziaya had his attempt saved by Bouzanis, who then confidentially stepped up and out of his goal to try and win the shootout, only to have his effort saved by his counterpart. In the end if was Seyi Adeleke who became the villain, blazing his shot wide, Zerara slotting home to give his side a 5-4 shootout win and fifth place in the Club World Cup.

Click here to view the article

Do they make the rules up as they go along in this competition. Shootout after 90 minutes???

What the hell do we have to do to win a game. Are we just unlucky, are we not good enough, playing wrong tactics. I don't know but it's getting to be a long long run now without a win. Might be time to call in the sports pyscologists.

At least we're scoring goals...

Bouzanis let down by poor penalty taking.

Meanwhile, Auckland City, a semi-professional team, took the South American Champions to extra time and played pretty well.

Defensively all over the place like a mad woman's merde. To some extent that was to be expected with our two most experienced leaders at the back out with red cards. Going forward was half-decent, especially early on with the work by Castellen. Bouzanis' keeping (if not his penalty taking) was excellent and several of the young uns (i.e. Fofanah, Hamill, Alessi) were able and willing. However Mullen and Adeleke were bad and need some serious long time looking in the mirror. 

Seems like we are unable to take a trick at the moment, and unlike the game against Cruz Azul the pitch nor the officiating can't be blamed. One question though...did Popa go in with a plan for the penalty takers? Whether he did or not it seems a bit strange to have Dean as the fifth shooter. Fofanah took his with such composure and clinical skill it's a shame he wasn't in front of DB.

Edit: Hamill didn't play?

316ce09590f38cd7c90204e897450127.jpg

Mullen was terrible tonight. Adeleke marginal. It was a second string side. Not sure what the injury is to Ruka, he was listed as unavailable. But that and the groin strain to Romeo is the main concern right now, that and the loss of half a million smackeroos!

Watching the replay now they mentioned 2 players injured, Ruka and Bridge not sure why they're injured though

Mullen was terrible tonight. Adeleke marginal. It was a second string side. Not sure what the injury is to Ruka, he was listed as unavailable. But that and the groin strain to Romeo is the main concern right now, that and the loss of half a million smackeroos!

Watching the replay now they mentioned 2 players injured, Ruka and Bridge not sure why they're injured though

Word of warning...if you are playing the Western Australian Warriors drinking game with that idiot commentator you'll need a couple of slabs...

Playing 120 mins in that pool would not have helped.

Probably listed as "injured".....

Playing 120 mins in that pool would not have helped.

Probably listed as "injured".....

I think the team medico came back with the diagnosis after the match against Cruz Azul that they had the bends...

Do they make the rules up as they go along in this competition. Shootout after 90 minutes???

What the hell do we have to do to win a game. Are we just unlucky, are we not good enough, playing wrong tactics. I don't know but it's getting to be a long long run now without a win. Might be time to call in the sports pyscologists.

Yeah, they didn't allow for extra-time and went straight to penalties because of the game after. Surely it can't be that hard to either a. move the game to a smaller venue and not have it as a curtain raiser or, b. allow more time between the games.

The whole tournament is a farce really, I did think that before we went and really didn't have much interest in it. If we weren't participating I doubt I would have watched a second of it.

There are multiple issues with it:

• Why does a team from the host nation get a spot, they haven't won a continental title to gain access?
  • Why bother with preliminaries? The organisers got the two in the final they wanted (and usually always get) from the start.
  • The WSW v Cruz Azul match should never have gone ahead.
  • The fact that FIFA move the Real Madrid match because of the pitch just confirmed the point above, but FIFA looks after the big boys
  • Bring back the Toyota Cup or something...

Okay, I'm tired... 

yeah fifa make stuff up as they go along. why have a 5th place playoff if its a half-a55ed effort (i.e. no extra time).

interesing popa played his 2nd string side, considering another 600k was on offer and the owners want to lap up every cent on offer. Good to see he likes giving young kids shots at the biggest games of their life though.

good thing to take away from this game is castelan and saba finally opened up their scoring. lets hope their goal drought is now over for them, took them long enough.

bad thing is adeleke is still rubbish. i dont like bagging individuals all the time, but this kid is useless irrespective of any moments of good play by him.

once again another cruicial goal conceeded by his play on the left, and lets not talk about his spot kick. that one straight to the rubbish tip.

popa needs to release whoeever he needs to in Jan, to be able to secure another left back, seriously lacking in that department.

I've always thought this tournament is a farce, long before we played in it. If they canned it after this years edition, I doubt you'd get any complaints from any party.

I was really positive about the CWC at the start, I mean how often will we get the chance to represent Asia on the world stage and also be in the same comp as Real Madrid!

BUT after that farce of a tournament I have totally changed my opinion of the CWC. Ok so prize money is on offer but it is just the usual FIFA bullshit.

It is a real **** tragedy that WSW got those impossible playing conditions  and the bad decisions against Cruz! Teams like Cruz Azul and even Auckland will be back again next year, or within the next few years. It could be years and years before we make it again and we have to put up with that ****.

Adeleke is giving me headaches with the mistakes down his side also. Next up a trip back to Wullington for our bogey side the Nux, doesn't get any easier does it!!!!

Edited by WSWBoro

There were moments our defence looked like they were still playing in a waterlogged field ...the just couldn't get the ball out.

TIXX....I am with you. i've been eagerly awaiting adeleke to come good but looks like its going to be a long wait.

There were moments our defence looked like they were still playing in a waterlogged field ...the just couldn't get the ball out.

TIXX....I am with you. i've been eagerly awaiting adeleke to come good but looks like its going to be a long wait.

We seem to play as individuals, and not as a team. Adeleke is a perfect example of this. Our players seem to get so exposed and isolated a lot of the time.

On the penalty shoot outs, I've never thought we've been a penalty shoot out team. Juric is the only one who can hit them in our team.