ACL - AWAY TRIP

Pup55

Was going to start this thread! You beat me to it!

CONFIRMED SCHEDULE - AWAY MATCHES 

Feb 28 - Winner of Playoff 3 (likely Shanghai SIPG)

Mar 15 - FC Seoul

April 26 (Emperor's Cup winner or Urawa Red Diamonds)

Oh, and I'm in for Japan +1!

:woah:  :woah:  :woah:

Has to be Japan doesn't it?

(Unless bt some form of magic the Thailand club gets through two playoffs and becomes the other team in the pot)

Japan Club 2 away.

Who's in?

well, like most people i'm a huge Japan Club 2 fan - i'd like to go to this.

#ForzaJapanClub2

Has to be Japan doesn't it?

(Unless bt some form of magic the Thailand club gets through two playoffs and becomes the other team in the pot)

Japan Club 2 away.

Who's in?

Still chilly in Tokyo in April, but better than Seoul in March! But then, depending on the results in the Emperor's Cup, the Japanese team could be from Osaka or Hiroshima. Can't book the flights until Christmas Eve at best, and New Years Day at worst :)

Possibly in x 2. 

Note that the Japan away game is smack midweek between A-League Finals week 1 and A-League Semi Finals.

The Seoul match however is between a split round and we have no game on the weekend before it.

Yeah but we're not going to make the finals  :ninja:  :ninja:  :cheeky:

Thailand away sounds like an absolute hall of fame trip. I'm going to say in for Japan and put some pennies away.

Tempted. Very tempted.

A return airfare with a decent airline (Qantas or JAL) is cheaper than what my son paid to go to Adelaide for the GF on Tiger!

Japan is much more appealing than Adelaide ;)

My sister just became a travel agent, so I may be able to get my hands on some discounted flights and accommodation. BTW that reminds me, if anyone is looking to book a trip, give her a shout at Escape Travel at Merrylands. Her name is Laura.

Just need to convince the ball and chain first and get some time off work.

For people that have gone to Korea and Japan before, is one better or easier to go? I've only ever been overseas in Western countries before, so this will probably be a culture shock if I go.

I'm worried about being able to get around, the language barrier and my partner has a strict/limited diet, so food is an issue too. Any advice would be appreciated :)

Tempted. Very tempted.

A return airfare with a decent airline (Qantas or JAL) is cheaper than what my son paid to go to Adelaide for the GF on Tiger!

My sister just became a travel agent, so I may be able to get my hands on some discounted flights and accommodation. BTW that reminds me, if anyone is looking to book a trip, give her a shout at Escape Travel at Merrylands. Her name is Laura.

Group booking through your contact could be an idea! It'd be great if I could find someone to lay buy it with. I did have a good experience with Wanderers Travel for the KSA final but I felt their packages for Morocco was very expensive at the time and I ended up doing it for half the cost for the same experience in my opinion. 

I'm probably more up for Japan as it's a bit further away and bit easier to get my pennies together. 

Yeah before the AFC released their draw principles I was expecting Japan away to be in mid-late Feb. But now I'll be able to save that bit extra as its two months later.

I'm looking at doing a stopover in Singapore on the way there. Around $1000 return on Singapore Airlines, but that is via Singapore on the way back.

Tempted. Very tempted.

For people that have gone to Korea and Japan before, is one better or easier to go? I've only ever been overseas in Western countries before, so this will probably be a culture shock if I go.

I'm worried about being able to get around, the language barrier and my partner has a strict/limited diet, so food is an issue too. Any advice would be appreciated :)

They're both great, though I've spent more time in Japan so I am probably biased. A bullet train to Kyoto should be on the list of must-do things (plus there is Tokyo Disneyland :) )

Language isn't a big deal - most people are very friendly, and pointing at things works well, as well as the train stations having English names on the signs making it easy to get around - but don't expect to be able to watch any TV on down times. That will do your head in.

What kind of dietary restrictions does your partner have?  

Of course - it may not be in Tokyo, which would change it a bit. 

Tempted. Very tempted.

They're both great, though I've spent more time in Japan so I am probably biased. A bullet train to Kyoto should be on the list of must-do things (plus there is Tokyo Disneyland :) )

Language isn't a big deal - most people are very friendly, and pointing at things works well, as well as the train stations having English names on the signs making it easy to get around - but don't expect to be able to watch any TV on down times. That will do your head in.

There's plenty of stuff I'd like to see in Japan compared to Korea so I'm leaning a bit more that way.

I have a good friend who is Japanese who told me that their aren't many English speakers around which makes things more difficult than say Europe. I guess I could just use my phone and a translation app....

In regards to diet, he's very limited in what he can eat due to a surgery. He needs to get all his nutritional value in fairly small meals. He eats a lot of chicken, beef, cheese and eggs. He steers away from carbs (noodles are out :P), fats and other meats. I know it's not what you're supposed to eat culturally while you're travelling, but would there be places where he could get grilled chicken or beef and veges? Or say scrambled eggs for breakfast?

I was thinking about possibly getting an apartment instead of a hotel room and sourcing food from a supermarket and cooking some of our own meals.

Ahhh, so many questions and decisions!

Tempted. Very tempted.

Group booking through your contact could be an idea! It'd be great if I could find someone to lay buy it with. I did have a good experience with Wanderers Travel for the KSA final but I felt their packages for Morocco was very expensive at the time and I ended up doing it for half the cost for the same experience in my opinion.

I'm probably more up for Japan as it's a bit further away and bit easier to get my pennies together.

My sister has literally just got a job there so she's still training but she should ready to take bookings in early January. I could talk to her about the possibility of a Group booking to Japan if people were interested. Let me know.

I believe at Escape travel they do a 12month interest free lay by. Obviously you wouldn't need it for that long but it could be a help.

In regards to diet, he's very limited in what he can eat due to a surgery. He needs to get all his nutritional value in fairly small meals. He eats a lot of chicken, beef, cheese and eggs. He steers away from carbs (noodles are out :P), fats and other meats. I know it's not what you're supposed to eat culturally while you're travelling, but would there be places where he could get grilled chicken or beef and veges? Or say scrambled eggs for breakfast?

I was thinking about possibly getting an apartment instead of a hotel room and sourcing food from a supermarket and cooking some of our own meals.

I have a good friend who lives in Tokyo, and he's from NY so he knows where to shop for all types of western food, and which places would serve the things you require, especially around west Tokyo. Closer to the event if you decide to go and haven't tracked down info, I'll get him to send some ideas through :)

Tempted. Very tempted.

Food wise your partner should be o if you are planning for japan.

Im allergic to seafood but i have managed to get by when I was there in 2014 for 2 weeks.

If your husband loves his steak, he will definitely love how the japanese make their steak.

There is a reason why Kobe beef is the most expensive meat.

Tempted. Very tempted.

There's plenty of stuff I'd like to see in Japan compared to Korea so I'm leaning a bit more that way.

I have a good friend who is Japanese who told me that their aren't many English speakers around which makes things more difficult than say Europe. I guess I could just use my phone and a translation app....

Tempted. Very tempted.

My sister has literally just got a job there so she's still training but she should ready to take bookings in early January. I could talk to her about the possibility of a Group booking to Japan if people were interested. Let me know.

I believe at Escape travel they do a 12month interest free lay by. Obviously you wouldn't need it for that long but it could be a help.

Can confirm Escape do 12 months interest free. Finance is through Lombards. We used the option to take advantage of early bird flights for our trip next year.

I think flight centre do interest free now too. They're both owned by the same company apparently.

I would love to go to Japan, but clashes with our already booked trip. We fly on 25/4 so I am trying to work the angle, but Im pretty sure $$$ will count me out. China / Thailand are my best bet.

Starting to plant the seeds to go along to this. Sticking point may be that we are in the Maldives a month earlier.. actually could use that as my way to get leave pass for Japan!!

the rate the sea levels are going up there might not be much of the maldives to see.

go to japan.

Your way of thinking is phenomenal. Well played sir. I love you.

Food wise your partner should be ok if you are planning for japan.

Im allergic to seafood but i have managed to get by when I was there in 2014 for 2 weeks.

If your husband loves his steak, he will definitely love how the japanese make their steak.

:cheeky:  :ninja: 

He'll love seeing this when he visits this thread eventually.

Food wise your partner should be ok if you are planning for japan.

:cheeky:  :ninja: 

He'll love seeing this when he visits this thread eventually.

he's on the forum?!?