English Championship & Football League Thread

Real shame about the decline of clubs with pedigree. Leeds, Sheff Wed, Leicester, Wolves, are all exiles insofar as they belong in the top tier. Much more to offer than Bolton, Fulham, Stoke, or god forbid Wigan.

Still remember Leeds in the Kewell/Viduka days. Now that was a sight to behold.

Woah ease up on the Bolton bashing. You mention pedigree, Bolton are one of the oldest clubs around, founder member of the Football League and have won more FA Cups than all the clubs you mentioned except Wolves (who Bolton are level with) and that was back when the FA Cup was a bigger deal than it is now.

Bolton are just thoroughly unlikeable. The Perth Glory of English football.

Real shame about the decline of clubs with pedigree. Leeds, Sheff Wed, Leicester, Wolves, are all exiles insofar as they belong in the top tier. Much more to offer than Bolton, Fulham, Stoke, or god forbid Wigan.

As a Watford fan (and I'm sure the QPR fan and the Burnley fan on here would agree with me) but I disagree that those clubs like Leeds, Sheff Wed and etc belong in the top tier. Yes they're big, certainly bigger than my little old Watford. But they aren't good enough and that is what matters, not their size. Besides, they were all small clubs at one time which became successful. It could still happen to any one of the smaller clubs, e.g Swansea City.

It just makes things harder for those smaller clubs, especially since Scudamore wants to remove relegation and promotion and make the Prem a closed league, preferably with those clubs in it.

Wolves definitely a raw deal there.. something off is going on behind the scenes the entire board should be culled. Same thing at Sheff Wed. Since the bankruptcy the club has yet to be able to post a profit or even break even despite regularly getting 20k+ attendance even when they were playing league 1 football.

bring back the premier league of the late 90s

With all that I've said, if we could bring back the 1999-2000 Premier League please that'd be grand.

That's precisely the point. Big boys on the block doing poorly, looking askance at the success of the 'smaller' boys on the block.

Woah ease up on the Bolton bashing. You mention pedigree, Bolton are one of the oldest clubs around, founder member of the Football League and have won more FA Cups than all the clubs you mentioned except Wolves (who Bolton are level with) and that was back when the FA Cup was a bigger deal than it is now.
Bolton are just thoroughly unlikeable. The Perth Glory of English football.

They were the little engine that could of the Premier League. With a tiny budget they managed to qualify for Europe based on league position and they had an uncanny knack of beating Arsenal which caused many amusing Wenger tantrums.

Toward the end of their time in the PL their football dropped off but that had a lot to do with losing their best defender (Cahill to Chelsea) and their best striker (Elmander).

It just makes things harder for those smaller clubs, especially since Scudamore wants to remove relegation and promotion and make the Prem a closed league, preferably with those clubs in it.

Seriously? That is ridiculous.

This was really old specculation, and turned out to be papertalk.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2051630/Premier-League-boss-Richard-Scudamore-dismisses-relegation-talk.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2051630/Premier-League-boss-Richard-Scudamore-dismisses-relegation-talk.html

Tries to address speculation - quotes from Daily Mail.

LOL. :-)

I'd sooner trust my mum over the Daily Fail, and my mum has no interest in football whatsoever.

Scudamore will deny it until the cows come home, but ever since the advent of Sky Sports in England football has gone on a downwards spiral. There's three things Scudamore wants to do and he will never admit it until it's been decided and it has to be announced: the 47th Premier League game abroad; the end to promotion and relegation from the Premier League; the "Super League" of top European clubs playing in one league completely separate from other domestic leagues.

Ugh, regardless it hasn't been discussed since 2011?! Please, if further speculation occurred point me to it, I'm all ears. Other than that I'm here to talk about CHAMPIONSHIP football not the premier league and its not so apparent motives to bury league football.

Hey do any of you guys follow any of the championships Australian supporter pages? The pages that organise pub meets for games? I'm only asking because it seems everyone goes to 'cheers' bar for their teams fix. Just want to know whether any other Sydney pubs play championship matches.

MILWALL were left with egg on their face after forgetting to bring their kit with them to Hillsborough for the game against Sheffield Wednesday.

Their away kit, normally all white, had to be replaced with the home side's yellow before the game started. By the time the second-half started they had managed to scramble their 3rd kit from Millwall but it was a little late to prevent the embarrassing situation. Andy Keogh's controversial late penalty earned the visitors their first Championship point of the season. The Irish striker coolly rolled home the spot-kick four minutes from time after Jeremy Helan was adjudged to have floored Richard Chaplow. First-half goals from Owls pair Helan and Reda Johnson cancelled out Kamil Zayatte's early own goal to put the home side ahead.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/milwall-kit-man-forgets-to-bring-jerseys-forcing-players-to-borrow-rivals-sheffield-wednesdays-kit/story-e6frf423-1226703591076#.Uhly3UpAqUk

:rofl:  :rofl:

Yes I am also lolling very hard at Millwall. This should never happen and they are a laughing stock. I am shocked that they drew with Wednesday cause I just have faith in Wednesday. But I expected draw for these two teams because they just look good this year and will be a threat.

School boy stuff it was. Anyone watch Forest Watford? Forest look very impressive.

Was at the game aha. Fair result IMO for two teams who should (barring anything out of the ordinary) be up there for promotion come the end of the season. Might have to swap Bolton in my top 6 prediction on here for Forest...

big game coming up on sat night - leeds vs qpr. will be a chance to see whether leeds unbeaten start is real or a mirage. going off my general experience as a leeds fan I am guessing it will eventually prove to be the latter but I am hoping they can at least keep me hopeful for a while longer.

QPR coming off an embarrassing mid week loss 2-0 to League 1 side Swindon Town. It will be a cracking match and I can't wait. A fairly good test for both teams especially since QPR haven't really been given a team like Leeds yet.

disappointed that leeds/qpr has been bumped to setanta online by celtic (again) which means I will have to watch the replay because my dodgey country town internet connection can't handle streaming :(

wanderer74 - I would say 'may the best team win' but if that happens leeds will get hammered i think.

I have always wanted to get Setanta but it is just too damn expensive. $17 a month is a lot considering you can get a bunch of channels on Foxtel for that. It has all these great leagues and matches, probably worth it if you watch it a lot. One day, but yes may the best team win. I will take a draw just to keep us unbeaten.

I have always wanted to get Setanta but it is just too damn expensive. $17 a month is a lot considering you can get a bunch of channels on Foxtel for that. It has all these great leagues and matches, probably worth it if you watch it a lot. One day, but yes may the best team win. I will take a draw just to keep us unbeaten.

Yes but with Setanta you get hurling. 

Yes but with Setanta you get hurling. 

fry_takemymoney.bmp

boro fan here... *sigh* go boro

qpr the better side. very solid defensively. leeds hardly had a sight of goal all game until rudy austin hit the bar in injury time. not a great game all round really - both teams played some good stuff in the centre of the park but both struggled with final ball. there should be a rule in the championship about being able to bring someone as good as junior hoillett off your bench. just not fair!

on the setanta thing - yes its expensive but for football junkies it is gold. in truth its an investment in me being able to maintain my sanity out here!

I could only imagine. Is there any deal with that Internet NBN thing. Has it come out there yet and will it make it any better?

We seem to be getting there by 1 goal margins and I just think we may need some replacement flare. We have also got some young kids coming through so hopefully we can replace that. I think QPR put the ball in the net early but it was offside. There was a penalty appeal for handball for Leeds. Would that have been a penalty?

Edited by Wanderer74

in theory we are meant to be getting the nbn - its meant to be any town >1000 but that will all probably fall apart after next saturday.

the goal ruled out for offisde early was very very close. live i thought he was miles off but replay showed barton basically level. tough one for the lineo though as there was a few bodies in the way.

the penalty shout was a ball headed back across which henry controlled with his upper arm/shoulder - would have been a harsh pen if given.

• 2 weeks later...