UEFA Champions League 2014/15

Kizza

The biggest tabloid put a ? behind Pep. Why did he take off Mueller? How come that they lack concentration at this stage of the season? Is he the right coach? That kind of stuff. Kicker Sportsmagazin spoke of a Collapse after conceding the first goal. Neuer said that after the 1:0 they lost courage. Incredible comment really.

Very interesting that they questioned pep, did they put the injuries into perspective? To compare what happened last year to this year are two different things!

Lacked courage? More like coming up with anything to explain what happened. Was similar when Brendan Rodgers came up with the excuse after going out of the FA cup to Aston Villa by saying "we lacked the big game temperament to play in a FA semi final"

There is a lot of noise coming out of England and Spain that Pep will leave Bayern after this season, and head to City instead. After the 6:1 against Porto Bayern and Pep were on top, but a few weeks later the mood has changed.

Not sure what to think of this. In Dec 2012 he signed a contract with Bayern, and a month later the English media was 100% certain that he'll go to City, so this could be the biggest non-event of the coming off season. But fact is that Bayern haven't signed a single player for next year, and it is very quiet when it comes to Klopp's future plans.

All very interesting.

Matthaus says he's losing the dressing room, we all know how that went at Barca

Well, Mattaeus has been talking rubbish for most of the last three decades. He is an expert in opening his mouth when he shouldn't, and he has successfully sabotaged his post playing career as a result. Not even a third division club would touch him as a coach, and so he continues to earn a living by trying to get his name printed on the title page of Bild newspaper.

In 2007 he publicly suggested that Bayern had considered him as coach which has been strongly denied by the club. He has been on the outer ever since. His expert opinion is worth little more than school yard gossip. Only a few weeks ago the likes of Lahm were quoted how much they liked working with Pep, and how much the players hope that he stays.

If I had to put money on how this is going to end then I'd say he'll renew with Bayern in a few weeks time.

Shame it's a bit quiet in here, I know the first leg proved too much but it was quite a good game. It felt like the pressure of progressing to the next round was lifted off both teams & BM performed very well. In the end, Barca didn't need to turn it on or excert too much effort because of that 3-0 first leg win. In all honesty, after that second Barca goal the focus turned to la Liga & just getting through the game without taking any collateral damage.

I really feel sorry for BM that they couldn't do better in the away leg & hope that next year they sort of injury/depth issues for next season to have another run in the CL. They truly are a great team to watch even with there key players missing & just went out to play football no matter the result.

I'd say, if BM face Barca again next year they take a leaf out of Jose Mourinho's playbook. I know it's in pep's philosophy & nature to play attacking football but if he gets an away goal or concedes in the first leg, to shut up shop & have defensive solidity to see out the game so they can actually have a chance in the second leg. Again, not saying shut up shot in the first minute but be able change the tactics/style when the situation calls for it.

Could have been all so different if Bayern had a full squad

I would have rather preferred a Real Madrid v Bayern Munchen Final

alas, people will need to settle for a

Real Madrid v Barcelona Final (25% chance)

Juventus v Barcelona Final (75% chance)

Real Madrid v Barcelona Final (25%  99%chance)

Juventus v Barcelona Final (75% 1% chance)

fixed.

kroos and benzema both playing...

Real Madrid v Barcelona Final (25%  99% 50%chance)

Juventus v Barcelona Final (75% 1% 50%chance)

fixed.

kroos and benzema both playing...

pogba is starting  :sorry:

Well I've had some time to digest this mornings proceedings, what an epic tie & a great day for Juventus & Italian football. My thoughts on the match:

- I think that RM deserves the first half lead, they had the better of the chances & after the goal when Juventus were pushing men forward we were lucky that none of the counter attacks led to goals. Both keepers made some very good saves to keep there team in the game. RM did very well to press on Pirlo & mark Tevez out of the game where he didn't have that much of an impact as I thought he would have had.

- On the first penalty, it reminded me of Fabregas vs Arsenal a few weeks ago, there was contact but it was as if he was already going to ground but I can see why it was given, there was contact involved. On the second call, on first look it looked like a dive but on the replay it looked like a pen, I think it was again a case of James looking for penalty which was why he was booked. Maybe he thought he'd give one & penalise the other to be fair? Not sure. On the third call, it was a 50-50 call, could have been given because Evra went into his back but if you look at his feet, he was going to ground before he was touched so understand why it wasn't given.

- On the second half, I don't think either coaches made any tactical changes to influence the game massively. It was just a case of one team taking its chances but Iker made so many key saves for you guys. I felt that RM needed to hit the target more & test Buffon more in the second half as I feel he wasn't needed to make any top class saves. As soon as Juve scored the goal the whole mindset changed for Juventus, it was just a case of seeing the game out getting men behind the ball, slowing down the game & making it difficult to get through the middle. I was surprised that RM didn't make more of the bale vs Evra height battle because with Baza, Bon & Chel in the last 20 they dominated the box when the ball came near them in the air & RM couldn't play through the middle. Was expecting Ronaldo, James, Isco, Bale or Ronaldo to hit one from range like they've done it in the last few weeks in la liga. Felt like you guys were waiting for Ronaldo to cross to himself to head the ball into the goal, you definitely lost something when he left the field.

- It was interesting the Benezma vs Pogba effect. Pogba was good without being outstanding, seemed to be playing within himself maybe because he was coming back from a long term injury (last thing they needed was a robben type incident to happen). I thought Benezma had a much greater impact, he looked a lot better & when he went off the field it definitely felt like you guys were missing something.

Great that Allegri in his first year could change the fortunes of Juventus in the later stages of the Champions League that Conte couldn't do in his successful stint in charge of Juventus. Who would have though that Morata would have had such a impact over the two legs, what a great buy for us!

dude, sentences, paragraphs....please sue them, I lost where I was about 4 times and gave up lol

Just a whole lot of random thoughts thrown down, I don't really go through & edit things but I will put in extra paragraphs to make it easier to read. I thought the bullet points were sufficient but I'll add in an extra space between them next time, thanks :good:

• 3 weeks later...