GHFA - Gladesville Hornsby Football Association

Despite predominantly being a Central Coast feeder Association, GHFA is home to a number of clubs that still come under Sydney's West.

I myself play for Hills Pumas, Previously Pacific Hills Dural Pumas (Green and White). Before then I played for Carlingford United (Yellow and Blue) and before that Roselea FC (Blue and Blue)

Anyone else ply their trade in GHFA?

Played for Kenturst the last couple of years. Stopped about 5 games into this season after a re-occurrence of a knee injury.

We have a Pumas team in our division this year (11). We lost 3-0 in the game I played. They'll be very tough to beat this year.

Played for Kenturst the last couple of years. Stopped about 5 games into this season after a re-occurrence of a knee injury.

We have a Pumas team in our division this year (11). We lost 3-0 in the game I played. They'll be very tough to beat this year.

Most of our Pumas all age sides are very good, Our prems side and reserves won the competition (at least on the ladder)

• 11 months later...

I didn't play this year as I'm still recovering from a knee operation but my son's ply their trade in the GHFA.  One is under 9's (first season of ladder comp) and the other is just starting out in minis playing for Roselea.

It has been difficult for the 9's as the club started the season with 4 teams and no subs so inevitably we're short in games or have just 9 and no cover for injuries.

It's interesting that the league diverges from FFA rules on comp based play earlier with 9v9 at U9.  Not sure of the benefit of going in to a comp so early though they all want to win a game regardless of table so maybe it doesn't hurt.  

The main downside I've found this year is the training ground issue where for a winter where it hasn't been overly wet, the training grounds have been shut for weeks at a time to preserve for games.  The boys train at Carlingford behind Roselea school.  I'm wondering whether to change teams just to get away from those grounds.  Not sure if it would be any better elsewhere as in the grass is actually greener with another club but they need the training as there is so much to learn.

When I come back from my knee injury, I might start playing in this comp, SDSFA is crap, bad referees who are also super racist, not to mention the committee is almost nazi promoting racist bunch!

I used to play in the women's parallel association - NWSWS.

I played for Carlingford Redbacks, and then Kenthurst for a couple of years. 

Also cool to have played for the same club that a Wanderer AND Socceroo has played for!  :meep:

Great associations.   :good:

Despite predominantly being a Central Coast feeder Association, GHFA is home to a number of clubs that still come under Sydney's West.

I myself play for Hills Pumas, Previously Pacific Hills Dural Pumas (Green and White). Before then I played for Carlingford United (Yellow and Blue) and before that Roselea FC (Blue and Blue)

The GHFA is no longer a CCM feeder.  I coach at the GHFA Academy and all the kids' uniforms/kits are now branded with WSW logos and the GHFA Director of Coaching works for WSW.

As to your question, I play for the Hills Hawks.  I enjoy playing in the GHFA, except when you have to play at the cow paddock known as Weil Park in Hunters Hill.  We nearly always have refs and two linesmen, and for the most part, the games are played in a pretty good spirit.   That said, I have previously only ever played in the Nepean district as a kid.   

Played for WPH over 35's until Bobans lot ended my season! and my son plays under 12's also WPH - it is a very well run association and a pretty decent standard in the top divisions.

The GHFA is no longer a CCM feeder.  I coach at the GHFA Academy and all the kids' uniforms/kits are now branded with WSW logos and the GHFA Director of Coaching works for WSW.

As to your question, I play for the Hills Hawks.  I enjoy playing in the GHFA, except when you have to play at the cow paddock known as Weil Park in Hunters Hill.  We nearly always have refs and two linesmen, and for the most part, the games are played in a pretty good spirit.   That said, I have previously only ever played in the Nepean district as a kid.   

Ah is that so? I assume it changed over this year?

Really? That's pretty piss poor considering SFC & CCM have shared it since they came into the comp.

Played for WPH over 35's until Bobans lot ended my season! and my son plays under 12's also WPH - it is a very well run association and a pretty decent standard in the top divisions.

I don't think that you even got a free kick for the tackle that ended your season.  From my perspective, there was nothing in it and there was certainly no malice.   I am going to go out on a limb here and suggest that you may have been somewhat predisposed to a knee injury! :meep:

If it's any consolation mate, we haven't had the same starting 11 (when we have had 11 fit players) all season.  One of the worst ever as far as injuries are concerned.  14 is obviously not enough of a squad.  Already looking forward to next year as I don't expect to do too much in the finals.  We will have the bare 11 for tomorrow's game.

Really? That's pretty piss poor considering SFC & CCM have shared it since they came into the comp.

Yeah, my heart bleeds for you (or better still, your tears are delicious)....... how dare WSW target juniors who live in the North West.  In the 10 years I have been involved with the Hawks, SFC have never had any involvement with our Club.  In it's first year, WSW attended our Club's gala day.  In the side I coach (9/1's) not one kid follows SFC!  But don't worry, you guys have all the BLING and we'll have all the kids.

I think the GHFA are still associated with both clubs, but the big push has come from WSW and just further proof that there are people at WSW who know what they're doing.

Yeah, my heart bleeds for you (or better still, your tears are delicious)....... how dare WSW target juniors who live in the North West.  In the 10 years I have been involved with the Hawks, SFC have never had any involvement with our Club.  In it's first year, WSW attended our Club's gala day.  In the side I coach (9/1's) not one kid follows SFC!  But don't worry, you guys have all the BLING and we'll have all the kids.

I think the GHFA are still associated with both clubs, but the big push has come from WSW and just further proof that there are people at WSW who know what they're doing.

Yeah mate, wasn't having a go at you or trying to make SFC look better so you just wasted your breath.

I was more making the point that instead of there being a total dominance sponsorship/etc of one a-league club, i'd like to see all 3 working together, to harvest and train the better product. But clearly that isn't possible. (At a grass roots level, I don't give a flying **** who helps these kids, so long as it gets done. For a long while, the Mariners took care of most of everything up here as it was close to them. To see them entirely pushed out is quite poor imo, esp when all the clubs are working towards the same goal)

Oh and FWIW, I was always a firm believer in when professional clubs of any sport ran gala days/clinics and did visits to schools, that it was a privilege, rather than something I expected to happen. I was fortunate enough to have CCM visit at school/club events at at least twice. I thought that was an awesome thing. Did I expect it to happen every year or to every club or school?. . . .no! I was just grateful that they sent a few blokes who had history with the clubs and whatnot and went and spoke to a few people. 

Edited by NorWester

I have to say I never noticed SFC logo on the GHFA site until around 2 years ago and took that as an indication of SFC's interest in promoting in the area.  Previously only saw CCM.  Maybe that's poor website administration though note WSW isn't there either.  I'd be happy to see all three promote the game to the kids.  The more the better for me.  But if WSW gets its act together then predominantly it will succeed in fostering support as they are really the local team for most in the association.

On another note, does anyone know how the Pennant round robin works.  First year in U9's and my team's son won at the weekend but will not be playing the team that won also in the 4.  Will it be based on goal difference if both teams win their games?  Or do they all win anyway in typical modern times manner!!

I have to say I never noticed SFC logo on the GHFA site until around 2 years ago and took that as an indication of SFC's interest in promoting in the area.  Previously only saw CCM.  Maybe that's poor website administration though note WSW isn't there either.  I'd be happy to see all three promote the game to the kids.  The more the better for me.  But if WSW gets its act together then predominantly it will succeed in fostering support as they are really the local team for most in the association.

On another note, does anyone know how the Pennant round robin works.  First year in U9's and my team's son won at the weekend but will not be playing the team that won also in the 4.  Will it be based on goal difference if both teams win their games?  Or do they all win anyway in typical modern times manner!!

Goal difference within the round robin, then if it is equal it goes to position on the table.  That is for example, both teams finish on 6 points after both games, then if the team that finished with the higher goal difference will win the pennant.  If they both have the same goal difference, then the team that finished higher on the competition ladder will win the pennant.  

I don't think that you even got a free kick for the tackle that ended your season.  From my perspective, there was nothing in it and there was certainly no malice.   I am going to go out on a limb here and suggest that you may have been somewhat predisposed to a knee injury! :meep:

If it's any consolation mate, we haven't had the same starting 11 (when we have had 11 fit players) all season.  One of the worst ever as far as injuries are concerned.  14 is obviously not enough of a squad.  Already looking forward to next year as I don't expect to do too much in the finals.  We will have the bare 11 for tomorrow's game.

Definitely got a free kick! but there was no malice - my comment was tongue in cheek - We've had a shocker with injuries too culminating in having 9 players against all saints and then our keeper got sent off!  Good luck for the finals

GHFA Spirit are apparently playing CCM in a pre season friendly at Christie Park so there is still some connection. Personally I think CCM have done a good job connecting with the juniors in GHFA - they certainly put much more effort in than SFC - but geographically it was always going to be hard for them to generate a significant number of supporters and WSW have quite rightly come in and trumped them.

Goal difference within the round robin, then if it is equal it goes to position on the table.  That is for example, both teams finish on 6 points after both games, then if the team that finished with the higher goal difference will win the pennant.  If they both have the same goal difference, then the team that finished higher on the competition ladder will win the pennant.  

Cheers.  Best get down to the other game and spy the score.  The other team plays at 8:30 and we're not playing until 12:30.

No pressure!!   :ninja:

• 2 weeks later...

Wanderers at the GHFA grand final venues

Once again WSW show why they have done so well off the park.  This morning, Hersi was at my local park for the grand final games played there and Tyson was at Meadowbank.  Someone no doubt would also have been at Morrison Bay.

The kids loved receiving their medals from Jerrad and even got to have a kick with him after the presentation.  Whilst I have done my work with my boys in making sure they support the 'right' team in the A League, there's no doubt a lot of the boys playing down there today would have got a kick out of meeting a professional footballer.  I have been to the grand final venues for the last 5 years on the trot and this is the first time I have seen this.  

Well done to the GHFA and WSW.  

Top work from WSW players for going down.  Obviously being so many venues they couldn't get to them all but how awesome all the same for the kids.

My son's team won their round robin pennant last week with a perfect win loss record and 6-0 goal for and against.  Only a consolation prize but they were all very proud all the same.

Wanderers at the GHFA grand final venues

Once again WSW show why they have done so well off the park. This morning, Hersi was at my local park for the grand final games played there and Tyson was at Meadowbank. Someone no doubt would also have been at Morrison Bay.

The kids loved receiving their medals from Jerrad and even got to have a kick with him after the presentation. Whilst I have done my work with my boys in making sure they support the 'right' team in the A League, there's no doubt a lot of the boys playing down there today would have got a kick out of meeting a professional footballer. I have been to the grand final venues for the last 5 years on the trot and this is the first time I have seen this.

Well done to the GHFA and WSW.

So for the record, how many ESFC players have you seen over the years at grand finals? Remembering of course that your district is in Sydney and they are apparently "a team for all of Sydney".

• 7 months later...

Fellow GHFA'ers.  There was a note that went out from the association this week about the inclusion of Rep teams or "Super" teams to put it another way in the local competition.  I sent a submission on this outlining why I wanted them removed from the local association or by playing for one of the local teams which will form part of the feedback hopefully by our club.

What's everyone's view?  I have a feeling GHFA are going to be weak on this or are looking for avenues to allow them to play.  Whereas FNSW and FFA are against the idea which is where I sit.

Keep them playing a suitable competition at their level rather than damaging the competition aspect for the local association teams who do not have the same resources at their disposal to compete with them is my view.

Would be interested to hear views.  I wonder if other associations are also having the same problem and ignoring it.