musical thread

I can't get my fingers to move right to do chords and ****. :lol:

Mando is hell :lol:

That's cool man.

I started on piano very early on which gave me my ear.

Trumpet then. Played in some ska bands with it,  some dodgy dodgy shows as well. Fun though. At least one ended with riot police. :lol:

Then bass. Bloke moved to Brisbane and I said I'd fill in for him. I didn't have a bass although I'd always wanted one, was the go to instrument at smoke break at band practise. So I bought a nasty one. Same thing, gigs, recorded, just as I was getting the hang of it, we broke up.

Back on the brass mobile again now.

And yeah, jack of all trades.

I've been known to hit the odd drum from time to time also.

Really impressed by all the musical skill in this thread, lots of props to all, no matter the skill level :good:

I'm a grade 5 trombone player but I can't say that I was that good anyway, just loved the types of music I played and the different bands I was involved in!! Unfortunately not involved in anything for about 10 years that could get me back into it again!

Guest ZipGunBop

What were the names of the bands Zip?? I've probably seen you play if around the 'Riff in the late 90's.....

Owned several guitars for over a decade now.... still play like a beginner. Wish I was joking.

Only one that you may have seen was "Gamblor". We played Kelts bar (blaxland) a few times but played mostly in town like Newtown Annandale etc.

We weren't big or anything. Just like 1000 other bands around Sydney at the time.

Heh. Like it.

I found a couple of sketchy photos of yours truly still out there on the web.

Playing trumpet with a *** in my hand.

The ancient brotherhood.... horn players who smoke.

Also used to use a schooner glass for a mute :lol:

I think we played Blaxland once, also the gearin further up the hill.

Edited by ciudadmarron

I have

A Peavey Raptor Plus (a beginners electric)

105558_10761.jpg

A Jackson Performer PS4

Jackson-Performer-Ps4-Guitare-Electrique

And a little Peavey Rage 158 Amp

230282760216-1.jpg

Oh and a Monterey acoustic.

And a ukelele too, but it goes out of tune too easy and I got no idea how to play it that well.

^^^^

James Morrisons brother once gave me advice on hat buying. Pretty schmick drummer (musician or no!)

Amp wise I've got half a set up which is fine for home use. Ashdown amp and a cabinet with one 15 inch speaker. Should have a 2nd one of thosebif I was going to gig again.

Guest ZipGunBop

The only amp I own is a trusty Marshall Valve.

25 years young. Still going strong.

The big girl doesn't need an amp. Her voice carries.

;)

Gee, more drummer jokes, how original :P

James Morrison always comes across as a douche bag, but he blows a mean horn.

As I'm not a "musician" it probably isn't worth posting, but f-ck that.

Late 1970s Ludwig drum kit 6 ply maple shells (some of the last of the decent maple shells from old growth forests) w/ "vintage" Zildjian cymbals and piccolo snare
MyQFWHG.jpg
Roland electronic drum kit for practice/muck about
egUKDqk.jpg
Madal purchased from my trip in Nepal
DlPhdLQ.jpg
Tabla purchased in India which I haven't learned to play yet
0wWxqcJ.jpg

Guest ZipGunBop

Waiting for a new page so I can share another Royal Crown Clip. LOL

From a gig I was at a few years ago. Brilliant musicianship.

But don't want to turn this into another "music thread" so trying to be patient.

It's tough.

Heh. Buddies would be a very very long stretch. :lol:

Very occasional Saturday morning public drinking partners is closer but would also probably be a stretch. :lol:

Longnecks and naan bread was the way the weekend often began for us punk kids and he jsut used to be there sometimes.

Went to warped festival at manly and he was busking there at the back of the main stage area, RCR were one of the first bands on. I didn't actually know it was him at that time either, someone told me later. It suddenly all made sense.... he had some interesting views :lol: I don't think I've actually seen him since either. Half a lifetime ago for me!

Guest ZipGunBop

Whenever I think of him, my mind is bombarded with images of that New Yorker on the train in the simpsons.

You know,

address it to 'Jesus', care of the pentagon

Gig stories anyone?

Nothing special or particularly funny but once we played the Mandarin Club on Pitt St there. I don't know what it was about it but it was just bizarre.  It was clearly a front for something else and we were obviously part of some elaborate tax write off. We played in the basement which was essentially a concrete bunker. Hardly anyone there. But upstairs where the bar was... how do I describe it? It was like something out of blade runner. Tawdry. Booths. Tinsel. They had karaoke but it was being hogged by a gangsters moll and was all chinese. I think they had one beer on tap. Awesome night.