International Current Affairs (#BidenIn)

36 minutes ago, wendybr said:

Re  PC gone mad, we are polarised...in circles where it is even on the radar.

In some areas of society, amongst certain groups, it could be said to have gone too far.

Then others have reacted to that.

Don't think anyone has mentioned the Trudeau situation here? Thoughts?

Again, Example of the gone too far?

Generally when some one yells PC gone mad its either 

- false eg banning Christmas 

- not actually anything to do with PC eg It’s actually health and safety 

- nothing to do with PC and false, and supports their ignorant opinion eg some nob on Facebook comments saying that Megan Rappoinne won best women’s player over Kerr as it was PC

Sure there examples of PC being silly, nothings perfect. but it’s far better than the alternatives. Look at the other side we should be getting far more upset about racism, discrimination etc. Than joining Alan Jones and Miranda Devine in the ridicule and the ignoring of real issues by obsessively seeking out the “PC gone mad / leftist conspiracy”

8 minutes ago, Erimus said:

Some would argue that Trump, Brexit and Boris are born out of PC gone too far and a reaction against that. The left /Democrats are to blame also.

It is lonely here in the moderate centre ground, as i mentioned a few pages back.

where is this PC gone too far? what PC world is this reaction against? 

Australia? We have had a right of centre government for what seems like an eternity and prior to that a centerist government for a little while

Britain? Tories have been for ages and prior a centerist government 

US, was Obama too far really? 

The democrats are to blame for trump as they ran an “establishment” candidate that people didn’t want and they didn’t take trump serious. PC doesn’t enter into it.  

Ok the greens go a bit nutty as does Marrickville council but putting Boris and Trump in leaving Europe etc seems a bit of an extreme reaction 

I agree somewhat on lonely in the centre, politics does seem to be more polarised Crobyn is completely unelectable is that PC gone far? Nationalising trains isn’t PC it’s just poor policy 

23 minutes ago, Erimus said:

Some would argue that Trump, Brexit and Boris are born out of PC gone too far and a reaction against that. The left /Democrats are to blame also.

It is lonely here in the moderate centre ground, as i mentioned a few pages back.

It probably shouldn't feel that lonely.

The majority of people are probably still huddled right there with you Smoggy.

Rolling their eyes and getting on with other things in their lives.

The voices are loudest on the loony fringes of both sides. ;)

1 hour ago, wendybr said:

Re  PC gone mad, we are polarised...in circles where it is even on the radar.

In some areas of society, amongst certain groups, it could be said to have gone too far.

Then others have reacted to that.

Don't think anyone has mentioned the Trudeau situation here? Thoughts?

Back to Rubin I get that you don’t agree with tommy Robinson etc. (I never thought you did, if I though you did I wouldn’t be bothering to reply ) but I don’t understand how you can support the likes of him

Sure you don’t agree with everything he says, I don’t agree with everything Billy Bragg might say. But look at  heart of what Rubin etc are about, what their supporters are about? What they are enabling? Who they choose to defend? Who they choose to ridicule. I can go pull more tweets like his defence of a racist, but what’s the point? 

Its their values and what it’s leading too.

This giant amongst human beings must despair...at what he's seen of the wonders of the natural world and how they're being trashed.

He didn't hold back  re Morrison and his lump of coal moment.

Or re this government''s irresponsibility.

https://www.abc.net.au/7.30/david-attenborough-criticises-australia-for-not/11544574

4 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

Back to Rubin I get that you don’t agree with tommy Robinson etc. (I never thought you did, if I though you did I wouldn’t be bothering to reply ) but I don’t understand how you can support the likes of him

Sure you don’t agree with everything he says, I don’t agree with everything Billy Bragg might say. But look at  heart of what Rubin etc are about, what their supporters are about? What they are enabling? Who they choose to defend? Who they choose to ridicule. I can go pull more tweets like his defence of a racist, but what’s the point? 

Its their values and what it’s leading too.

I am no expert on Dave Rubin...and have watched a couple of his podcasts, which I found interesting. Can't actually remember who I saw interviewed tbh.

I like his style as an interviewer, and don't necessarily condemn him for interviewing controversial figures who would not get any airtime in the mainstream media, but who become POPULAR with disaffected sections of the population BECAUSE of being silenced, as they see it.

Can't say more now...but can return to it later...if you haven't had too many encounters with that car door of yours. :D

It's interesting to discuss it.

:):)

12 minutes ago, wendybr said:

It probably shouldn't feel that lonely.

The majority of people are probably still huddled right there with you Smoggy.

Rolling their eyes and getting on with other things in their lives.

The voices are loudest on the loony fringes of both sides. ;)

There it goes again, the loony fringes on both sides!

”many fine people on both sides”

I can see the loony right one, it has its own news network, It owns the major papers in most Australian cities it is PM in Britain and President in the US

Ive spent the last three pages of this thread argue about a nob from the IDW

where is this loony left?

Apart from a couple of crusties at Newtown station with a green left weekly and a few uni students I don’t see it

Is it me? Is it not wanting to serperate kids from their families at the US border is that such a loony opinion? Or not being a twat to people? Or gay marriage is that the loony bit? 

1 minute ago, wendybr said:

I am no expert on Dave Rubin...and have watched a couple of his podcasts, which I found interesting. Can't actually remember who I saw interviewed tbh.

I like his style as an interviewer, and don't necessarily condemn him for interviewing controversial figures who would not get any airtime in the mainstream media, but who become POPULAR with disaffected sections of the population BECAUSE of being silenced, as they see it.

Can't say more now...but can return to it later...if you haven't had too many encounters with that car door of yours. :D

It's interesting to discuss it.

:):)

It’s not interesting 

I condemn him

for interviewing racists and not challenging them 

for arguing for these people 

for the people he enables 

for where it’s leading 

For what his core values are 

for dragging me into This and me losing 29 minutes of my morning I won’t get back 

I condemn me for not arguing against it more often, and not fighting it on Twitter etc because I’m too tired of it and it depresses me too much. 

38 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

I can see the loony right one, it has its own news network, It owns the major papers in most Australian cities it is PM in Britain and President in the US

Apart from a couple of crusties at Newtown station with a green left weekly and a few uni students I don’t see it

Is it me? Is it not wanting to serperate kids from their families at the US border is that such a loony opinion? Or not being a twat to people? Or gay marriage is that the loony bit? 

There is a small far left element that are squashing free speech, that want to cancel everything and that feel sensitive about harsh language. There really is. And it is unhelpful and weak and probably a result of a generation raised with such protection, that they have not built resilience. It is a small element but it is sometimes a loud one. 

The reality is though that we do not have candidate for leadership that really are like this. And the right try and try to characterise centre left people as belonging on the far left all the time, wanting to believe there is a huge part of the left that is extreme but they are not. 

13 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

That’s not what I said but Tommy Robinson is as is Lauren Southern is too. 

The people that who’s “free” speech he defends and who he gives a platform to

I don’t understand the support for him 

What an absolute nob

here you go follow the Twitter thread on this posting, from today and his followers views here is the “intellectual” dark web in action 

The bit where he says Greta is deranged is a highlight  

Is this the side you choose? really?

its not an a fun intellectual debate on Twitter or on WSF it’s horrible

Do I need to pick side now?

What happened to just getting along with each other.

Fun? subjective mate. Some people want to see the world burn. I am of that latter I guess? lol

Deranged is the best he could do? I heard people calling her a potato.

Edited by thefairy

I asked for people's thoughts on this?

Do you have any contribution to make...or are the grins here the message?

Hoist by his own petard....I'm not a fan of dear Justin, but does anyone seriously think that a couple of rather elderly photos of him being an idiot suddenly makes him a right-wing, racist fascist bully-boy? Obviously we find such antics offensive nowadays and I would agree that it is not a good look, but it is typical of the left shooting their own as soon as an opportunity arises. The so-called "cancel-culture".

Made me think of this piece

7 minutes ago, Potkorok said:

Hoist by his own petard....I'm not a fan of dear Justin, but does anyone seriously think that a couple of rather elderly photos of him being an idiot suddenly makes him a right-wing, racist fascist bully-boy? Obviously we find such antics offensive nowadays and I would agree that it is not a good look, but it is typical of the left shooting their own as soon as an opportunity arises. The so-called "cancel-culture".

Made me think of this piece

Thanks for your contribution Potkorok!!

That clip says it all - it's perfect!

I'd seen it before - but had forgotten it!

And I agree what you say about Trudeau!

17 minutes ago, Taurus said:

You have the power!

Tbh, it can be a bit of an echo chamber over there at times, so the more football & the less politics on my TL, the better...

I prefer to talk politics and social issues right here! :xnod:

Fixed!  :D:D

11 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

Is it me?

Cynth answers it below, and Potkorok's clip and people like Jonathan Pie and other lefties can point you in their direction.

10 hours ago, Cynth said:

There is a small far left element that are squashing free speech, that want to cancel everything and that feel sensitive about harsh language. There really is. And it is unhelpful and weak and probably a result of a generation raised with such protection, that they have not built resilience. It is a small element but it is sometimes a loud one. 

The reality is though that we do not have candidate for leadership that really are like this. And the right try and try to characterise centre left people as belonging on the far left all the time, wanting to believe there is a huge part of the left that is extreme but they are not. 

What follows would be my best attempt to answer your questions.

I don't think it's that strong here, but I'm open to being corrected on that. People like former forumite, Micki, says it's definitely on our campuses.

It isn't our political leaders who are being referred to in the "loony Left" group, as far as I'm concerned. 

People my age wouldn't know who or what I'm talking about. It isn't us.

It's amongst a youthful demographic (I'm not down on young people - I spend my days with young people, and they delight me on the whole). It  centres around/emanates from those currently in universities in the US with social consciences, and their hearts in the right place I'm guessing - as yours definitely is Stringer. They can be referred to/written off by some as SJW types.

THAT'S who is being referred to....and the Lefty Boot Camp clip at one point lists the issues they target perfectly. Their campaigns of outrage are delivered through social media.

People your age Stringer, (late 30s-early 40s I think?) may or may not be affiliated with this new version of the "loony Left" (a term that's definitely not new).

But it's the younger generation who are being absorbed into this way of dealing with issues....or who are reacting against it, in the case of a growing number of young people.

Issues like outrage over cultural appropriation (wearing a sombrero etc) or  who can or can't speak on campuses,   are the sorts of issues (as I see it) that they would be concerned with. The extremes of identity politics is how it's summed up.

Young people currently protesting about climate change, I would hope, wouldn't come under the umbrella of "the Loony Left" (well they CERTAINLY wouldn't in my view).

The problem is, these people, who tend to be whipped into emotional outbursts over the issues they get involved with, tend to want to sling labels at those who oppose them.

And want to silence them.

And they may well become the future leaders of the Left.... I'm not sure.

I really don't know what avenues politicians from the Left in the future will be using to gain their political apprenticeships. Don't think they'll be coming out of the Union movement. People in those areas are heading to the Right, it seems to me.

It is interesting....because we are in new territory. Scary new territory.

PS The Lefty Boot Camp clip totally sums it up - same as Jonathan Pie does, but with about 1/10 of the swearing. :lol:

Cynth answers it below, and Potkorok's clip and people like Jonathan Pie and other lefties can point you in their direction.

What follows would be my best attempt to answer your questions.

I don't think it's that strong here, but I'm open to being corrected on that. People like former forumite, Micki, says it's definitely on our campuses.

It isn't our political leaders who are being referred to in the "loony Left" group, as far as I'm concerned. 

People my age wouldn't know who or what I'm talking about. It isn't us.

It's amongst a youthful demographic (I'm not down on young people - I spend my days with young people, and they delight me on the whole). It  centres around/emanates from those currently in universities in the US with social consciences, and their hearts in the right place I'm guessing - as yours definitely is Stringer. They can be referred to/written off by some as SJW types.

THAT'S who is being referred to....and the Lefty Boot Camp clip at one point lists the issues they target perfectly. Their campaigns of outrage are delivered through social media.

People your age Stringer, (late 30s-early 40s I think?) may or may not be affiliated with this new version of the "loony Left" (a term that's definitely not new).

But it's the younger generation who are being absorbed into this way of dealing with issues....or who are reacting against it, in the case of a growing number of young people.

Issues like outrage over cultural appropriation (wearing a sombrero etc) and who can or can't speak on campuses,   are the sorts of issues (as I see it) that they would be concerned with.

Young people currently protesting about climate change, I would hope, wouldn't come under the umbrella of "the Loony Left" (well they CERTAINLY wouldn't in my view).

The problem is, these people, who tend to be whipped into emotional outbursts over the issues they get involved with, tend to want to sling labels at those who oppose them.

And silence them.

And they may well become the future leaders of the Left.... I'm not sure.

I really don't know what avenues politicians from the Left in the future will be using to gain their political apprenticeships. Don't think they'll be coming out of the Union movement. People in those areas are heading to the Right, it seems to me.

It is interesting....because we are in new territory. Scary new territory.

PS The Lefty Boot Camp clip totally sums it up - same as Jonathan Pie does, but with about 1/10 of the swearing. :lol:

Great So your examples of PC gone mad come from 

The forumite Mick, is that the same one that took the last incarnation of this thread to the right? Nice enough guy but right leading student who says campus has is PC gone mad.  

And 

Jonathan Pie, who we’ve covered before, he basically makes a living out of getting outraged about PC gone mad edge cases .  You’ve basically summed up why I can’t stand him and his one joke. He’s kind of a swearier  Miranda Devine that way.

Ok he calls Trump a tosser but then spends the rest of his time is confected outrage over perceived PC gone mad.

His writer by the way has made a career out of the protect free speech, Rubin style rants, it’s PC gone mad

https://libcom.org/blog/unsurprising-reason-jonathan-pie-rants-sound-straight-out-spiked-06022018

Oh and a YouTube clip on the loony left 

But anyway let’s go with it,

the best example of PC gone mad is a bunch of Uni students upset about sombreros and cultural appropriation.

yes they are bunch of tedious twats, most uni students go through that phase (joke) 

But if that’s it then if this is the damage that PC gone mad causes a few nobs with 2ser t shirt and a copy of green left weekly complaining about somberos then it’s a price I’m quite willing to pay for PC.

because the other side of it is far worse,

I mean it’s not like anyone has performed a mass shooting over the cultural appropriation of someberos, 

also let’s face it, it is an even weaker arguement that PC is taking over, Unis if anything have become less political, since the end compulsory student union and the fact that fees are so high they haven’t got time to engage in a bit of Uni life being a lefty wanker 

Going back to Rubin he and his fanboys (and girlish choose to ridicule Greta on twitter but mount a spurious “but what so and so” defence of a professional racist and islamphobe in Tommy Robinson, but the  again I’m a loony lefty, it’s not like racial hate and a anti-Islam view as ever hurt anyone (the mass shootings are all about the somberos)

As for the slinging labels your mate JP and Rubin are making a living out of it and their angry 

PC has gone mad, I know it’s true because Jonathan Pie said so..along with a “pc gone mad loony left” YouTube video, a right wing forumite and a unsubstantiated theory that young people are going loony PC left that can’t be backed up by your own experience but it must be happening in the US as Rubin etc said so 

Edited by StringerBellend
  • mack changed the title to International Current Affairs (#BidenIn)
  • mack locked this topic