UEFA EURO's 2020 (1)

7 hours ago, sonar said:

France v Hungary ends 1-1...good game tbh.

Missed this one as I was stupid enough to get up early for the England game and needed an early night...bugger. Missed some decent games by the look of it.

Hungary getting something doesn’t surprise me though, and the Germans are tournament solid.

1 hour ago, WSWJACK said:

Wales finish second but the Swiss gave it a red hot go, ah well made it to last sixteen well done boyos :clapping: 

Yeah, well played. Should progress to the QF's also.

Edited by Smoggy
1 hour ago, Paul01 said:

Bye bye Russia

Knockout game is Wales v Denmark in Amsterdam 

I am a little more worried for Wales now. I think they go in to the game against Denmark as favourites based on their form and the fact they reached the SF in the last Euro's. Denmark have a lot of spirit though.

Its the kind of game England usually get and **** up. Wales will play it down, but they should win, and that brings a different kind of pressure and so a real test of their tournament credentials i feel.

Also no Welsh or Danish fans allowed for this one.

Edited by Smoggy

Also the results today mean England are through to the last 16 without kicking a ball in their 3rd game. There may also be an advantage to finishing second as finishing top means a side from the group of death in the last 16, so either France, Germany or Portugal. The only positive to that is that the game would be at Wembley.

So an opportunity for England to try a few things out to get the attack working.

1 hour ago, Smoggy said:

Also the results today mean England are through to the last 16 without kicking a ball in their 3rd game. There may also be an advantage to finishing second as finishing top means a side from the group of death in the last 16, so either France, Germany or Portugal. The only positive to that is that the game would be at Wembley.

So an opportunity for England to try a few things out to get the attack working.

So would you play rather the Netherlands (3rd place finish) or the Runner-up of Group E (Spain, Slovakia, Sweden or even Poland) in the first knockout game?

1 hour ago, Paul01 said:

So would you play rather the Netherlands (3rd place finish) or the Runner-up of Group E (Spain, Slovakia, Sweden or even Poland) in the first knockout game?

I would rather England just aim to win tomorrow, finish top, stay at Wembley and get whoever they get from the big 3.

Not interested in this playing positional games thing. If you want to win the thing you have to beat the best, may as well start next round in my opinion. If England play well last 16 game but get knocked out by the likes of France, Germany or Portugal then so be it, that's OK.

I don't care, and the England camp shouldn't either.

Edited by Smoggy
1 hour ago, Smoggy said:

The problem is that he won't.

I've also seen other reporters confirming that he's going to start Kane again.

I'm getting more and more confused by his selection decisions. If he's using inexperience as an excuse then why is he starting players like Phil Foden, Kalvin Phillips, Declan Rice or Mason Mount? Sancho had more England appearances than all of them prior to the tournament. He's also played more Bundesliga games than Foden, Phillips and Mount have played Premier League games. I'm not saying that any of those players haven't justified their selection, but to use inexperience as an excuse for not playing certain players? You'd think he could come up with a better one, considering I'm applying that logic to Sancho and haven't even started on Rashford yet.

As for the overnight games, Belgium did it comfortably with a rotated squad, Denmark were good but Russia were diabolical, Netherlands were good and Ukraine were disappointing against Austria. Now that Ukraine and Finland have finished third in their groups with -1 and -2 GD respectively it means that 4 points or 3 with a 0 goal difference or better will qualify.

For Group D the winner of Croatia v Scotland will qualify, while a draw eliminates both of them so unless there's a last minute equaliser it's very unlikely.

Group E is super tight and other than Sweden already being through with 4 points every other combination is possible. Poland lose or draw with Sweden and they're out, win and they're through. Winner of Spain v Slovakia qualifies. A draw or a one goal loss for Slovakia will put them through, bigger loss and they're out. A draw for Spain puts them through unless Poland win, in which case Spain could go through the group stage undefeated and finish last. A loss and they're gone.

Group F is another crazy one. France are through but could still finish third so they'll probably play a strong side against Portugal (I'm really looking forward to this game). A win or draw for both Portugal and Germany put them through. A loss should be fine unless they get done by 4 or 5. Hungary need a win, a draw or loss puts them out.

3 hours ago, Smoggy said:

I am a little more worried for Wales now. I think they go in to the game against Denmark as favourites based on their form and the fact they reached the SF in the last Euro's. Denmark have a lot of spirit though.

Its the kind of game England usually get and **** up. Wales will play it down, but they should win, and that brings a different kind of pressure and so a real test of their tournament credentials i feel.

Also no Welsh or Danish fans allowed for this one.

i'm worried about this one, the Erikson factor cannot be denied, they were absolutely pumped getting that 4-1 victory you could see it meant a lot to them, just glad it's not in Copenhagen or it's goodnight.

Depending which British rag you read, conflicting reports on crowds, welsh fans cant go as 14 day hotel isolation required (blame Brexit for that) but Danes are allowed to attend, confusing but I'm sure the neutral will favour the Danes purely on the Erikson factor, ah well didn't really fancy our chances before the tourney anything else now is just gravy on the chips.

Problem with England is Southgate, you can see he was a defender as a player, more concerned with stopping rather than getting, just let them attack ffs they have the firepower in that team.

Lukaku is just freaking awesome, an absolute beast to mark, Belgium are my tip for the cup.

22 minutes ago, WSWJACK said:

i'm worried about this one, the Erikson factor cannot be denied, they were absolutely pumped getting that 4-1 victory you could see it meant a lot to them, just glad it's not in Copenhagen or it's goodnight.

Depending which British rag you read, conflicting reports on crowds, welsh fans cant go as 14 day hotel isolation required (blame Brexit for that) but Danes are allowed to attend, confusing but I'm sure the neutral will favour the Danes purely on the Erikson factor, ah well didn't really fancy our chances before the tourney anything else now is just gravy on the chips.

Problem with England is Southgate, you can see he was a defender as a player, more concerned with stopping rather than getting, just let them attack ffs they have the firepower in that team.

Lukaku is just freaking awesome, an absolute beast to mark, Belgium are my tip for the cup.

Wales should win though, they have earned that respect. And is something they will have to deal with...the expectations...so often England’s downfall.

I think Wales will be OK and win via a tight game.

54 minutes ago, MartinTyler said:

I'm not so sure that's a big positive at the moment

Better than going to Copenhagen to possibly play the likes of Spain or Sweden...

Who else can remember the disaterous Euro 92 in Scandinvia when Turnip Taylor was in charge and they played Sweden i think.

8 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Better than going to Copenhagen to possibly play the likes of Spain or Sweden...

Who else can remember the disaterous Euro 92 in Scandinvia when Turnip Taylor was in charge and they played Sweden i think.

Marginally....let's face it that during the Scotland game the team was booed by half their 'supporters' for doing the knee then those supporters were out sung by the Scots for 90 minutes before booing the team off again !!

9 minutes ago, MartinTyler said:

Marginally....let's face it that during the Scotland game the team was booed by half their 'supporters' for doing the knee then those supporters were out sung by the Scots for 90 minutes before booing the team off again !!

For anyone north of Birmingham Wembley has always been considered a shyte hole frequented for national team games by the likes of Millwall, West Ham and Chelsea types with 3 lions tatts on one arm and Millwall on the other.

I was at the England v Spain Euro 96 game at Wembley. I swear I was the only ****er northerner there. Surrounded by cockney chunts, always been that way for Wembley England games. 

As a Northern at an England game at Wembley you don't always feel part of the show..

While I worry that Southgate won't change enough up front he's going to be forced to make some changes with Chilwell and Mount isolating after Billy Gilmour tested positive for the rona.

Luke Shaw was good at left back so Chilwell is less of a loss, but Mount has played 90 mins in both matches so far. I'd be tempted to move Foden into the 10 and play Sancho or Grealish from the start, although I think Southgate could go with Henderson because "experience" etc. etc.

I also wonder whether Maguire is fit enough to start in place of Mings. He was on the bench for the Scotland game and Southgate will want to get minutes in him before the knockout stages.

2 hours ago, Davo said:

While I worry that Southgate won't change enough up front he's going to be forced to make some changes with Chilwell and Mount isolating after Billy Gilmour tested positive for the rona.

Luke Shaw was good at left back so Chilwell is less of a loss, but Mount has played 90 mins in both matches so far. I'd be tempted to move Foden into the 10 and play Sancho or Grealish from the start, although I think Southgate could go with Henderson because "experience" etc. etc.

I also wonder whether Maguire is fit enough to start in place of Mings. He was on the bench for the Scotland game and Southgate will want to get minutes in him before the knockout stages.

I think Foden might be 1 yellow from missing the last 16 game. With progression already in the bag Southgate wouldn’t  risk the ban I don’t think, Foden out I think.

Edited by Smoggy
29 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

Looks like trouble for England

🚨 England confirm isolating duo could miss Euro 2020 last 16 match via @OneFootball. Read it here: https://onefootball.com/editorial/33233515?language=en

What I don’t get about this is that no one in the Scottish camp is isolating as far as I am aware :unknw: He was part of their squad lol

Did Scotland put him on the team bus roof rack on the trip back to the hotel :unknw:

Edited by Smoggy
1 hour ago, Smoggy said:

What I don’t get about this is that no one in the Scottish camp is isolating as far as I am aware :unknw: He was part of their squad lol

Did Scotland put him on the team bus roof rack on the trip back to the hotel :unknw:

Apparently the only reason Mount and Chilwell are isolating is because they are club team mates with Gilmour and caught up with him in the tunnel after the match. My guess is England are being super cautious and Scotland know if they apply the same level of caution they'd have to withdraw from the tournament.

6 hours ago, Davo said:

Apparently the only reason Mount and Chilwell are isolating is because they are club team mates with Gilmour and caught up with him in the tunnel after the match. My guess is England are being super cautious and Scotland know if they apply the same level of caution they'd have to withdraw from the tournament.

Its not England applying the isolation rules and caution, it is Public Heath England.