Wanderers from Blacktown

I think people are just embarrassed about talking about this issue. That's why they are so against the show.

Best to sweep it under the carpet.

These conversations can get a bit uncomfortable for a Westie, especially if they work in the CBD....

You are right.

A show like "Housos" can just be dismissed as a farce. We can laugh about "Bogan Hunters" like we laugh about something funny happening at the circus. Had "Struggle Street" been about an Aboriginal community in Bourke then people could easily and comfortably say that it is about "them", and has nothing to do with "us".

But "Struggle Street" is about white Australia on the fringes of Sydney. It is so confronting because it is too close to home. It can't be true. The big question is if we, as a society/community, are going to do something about it. If so: what?

Yeah tell me about it, several years working for Investment banks and stockbroking firms - 9 times out of 10 the person who asked me where I live hadn't even heard of Doonside, absolutely no idea where it was.

How you can live in a city for 20 plus years and not know every suburb (or one close to it) defies logic to me.

Does it? A work colleague of mine told me that she'd built a house in Bungarribee. Bunga where? I looked it up on the map, and that's when I realised where Doonside is, that it is east of the M7, and west of Blacktown. Call me ignorant as I've lived here for 20 years. I never had any dealings out west, the south west, and the south. I know the north, north west, and the centre. That's it. GPS systems have allowed me to drive around in a place which I experience as a confusing maze.

You have to go to places like Berowra, Avalon, Engadine, Gordon, or Bondi to fully appreciate how huge and spread out Sydney actually is. Mount Druitt, or Parramatta even, are a long way away from these places.

This is also true for struggles happening outside Australia. We feel sorry for victims in the media because it could happen to someone we know but it is more difficult to empathise with things too far off. 

I think people are just embarrassed about talking about this issue. That's why they are so against the show.

Best to sweep it under the carpet.

These conversations can get a bit uncomfortable for a Westie, especially if they work in the CBD....

This can be uncomfortable for people who live in east Sydney too, considering the defensive architecture in some areas like making benches too difficult to sleep on for homeless people. They just don't want to know these people exist and prefer to ignore than deal with these issues.

Edited by BlueYoshi

or one close to it

Nice link too btw, someone has gone to a lot of effort for suburbs like Vaucluse, but click on Whalan and you get one line 'it's in Sydney'.

It says that for most western Suburbs, I just checked 2 suburbs near my area (Wetherill Park & Bossley Park) and it was pretty much as small as Whalan description.

They are a long way but it doesn't excuse people not knowing. 

Unless they're from 'The Shire'.

Anyone from Western Sydney would instantly recognise the word Bungarribee too btw.

Where's Narraweena Hawks ???  Without looking it up I mean?

Anyone from Western Sydney would instantly recognise the word Bungarribee too btw.

We would often stop at the red rooster on the way back from a Saturday night drive to palm beach.

At the end of the day, I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.
The blacktown area is my home, 
yes there are some messed up people that live nearby but have a look at the finger wharf in Woolloomoloo where old mate John Singleton copped a $550 fine (which is swear jar money for him) for having a few too many to drink and where the rich and famous dine, just down the road there are several homeless people and where drug use is widespread.

Not to mention anyone who lives around there is squashed into their tiny little house like a sardine, I grew up with a backyard - that's getting rarer and rarer these days.

Sydney is looking more and more like Hong Kong everyday - bulldozing houses on an hourly basis to build apartments, who the hell would ever let a child grow up in an apartment anyway (or a McMansion where the backyard is that small you can mow it with a pair of scissors) ?

Hahahaha... very well done!!  Doubt that many Sydneysiders know it.... but maybe I'm wrong!   :good:

I had to look it up but guessed it was northern beaches somewhere, something about the name, sounds like Narrabeen I guess.

I've had cause to go to a lot of places. I grew up in the mountains, then overseas, then penrith, then north and northwest, then I've lived in a bunch of places since then as well. Dad was a western Sydney migrant boy and he knew everywhere like the back of his hand so I guess I inherited that a bit as well. But I think a lot of Sydneysiders (and yes wendy I think it works both ways) just don't go to places out of the familiar and don't have the knowledge. All the same, anywhere that has a train station, surely people should be familiar with them.

What Hawks is trying to say, you don't have to know ALL the suburbs of Sydney, but when a major suburb of one side of Sydney is mentioned and you don't recognise it, that's the problem, like I am sure everyone knows where Sutherland or Cronulla is, but I bet no one knows, just a bit further down is a place called Yarrawarrah, but if someone mentioned that its near Sutherland, people would be like oh yeah I know where that is.

if you don't know where Doonside or Colebee is, if someone mentioned, around Mount Druitt, Blacktown etc etc, people should be able to know where about they are

This is getting interesting lol

I read somewhere that some person was making a documentary on the Millers Points housos as well

Lol , should be funny ...." How are we supposed to live off only 200k a year??" :P

This is getting interesting lol

I read somewhere that some person was making a documentary on the Millers Points housos as well

Lol , should be funny ...." How are we supposed to live off only 200k a year??" :P

They are housos who live almost on water and pay less than $100 a week for rent, and those who have spare rooms, have been caught renting out the rest of the rooms lol

Housing Commission want to sell those houses as they can make big money out of them

Hahahaha... very well done!!  Doubt that many Sydneysiders know it.... but maybe I'm wrong!   :good:

I had to look it up but guessed it was northern beaches somewhere, something about the name, sounds like Narrabeen I guess.

I've had cause to go to a lot of places. I grew up in the mountains, then overseas, then penrith, then north and northwest, then I've lived in a bunch of places since then as well. Dad was a western Sydney migrant boy and he knew everywhere like the back of his hand so I guess I inherited that a bit as well. But I think a lot of Sydneysiders (and yes wendy I think it works both ways) just don't go to places out of the familiar and don't have the knowledge. All the same, anywhere that has a train station, surely people should be familiar with them.

What Hawks is trying to say, you don't have to know ALL the suburbs of Sydney, but when a major suburb of one side of Sydney is mentioned and you don't recognise it, that's the problem, like I am sure everyone knows where Sutherland or Cronulla is, but I bet no one knows, just a bit further down is a place called Yarrawarrah, but if someone mentioned that its near Sutherland, people would be like oh yeah I know where that is.

if you don't know where Doonside or Colebee is, if someone mentioned, around Mount Druitt, Blacktown etc etc, people should be able to know where about they are

I certainly take you point Marron, and yours AEK.

FWIW ... for anyone who doesn't know Narraweena (and didn't look it up) it's on the plateau behind Dee Why.  Built on a quarry (if I recall right) and quite a large former Housing Commission area. Gradually being gentrified,  I guess. Proximity to the coast makes very modest HC houses pricey these days.

There are probably more suburbs than we think that we'd generally not have ever heard of...eg I'd never heard of Yarrawarrah before.

Struggle Street's Billie Jo Wilkie caught twice in one day driving while disqualified

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/tv-and-radio/struggle-streets-billie-jo-wilkie-caught-twice-in-one-day-driving-while-disqualified-20150515-gh28ge.html#ixzz3aClD15ez

Only two days after social media turned on her for smoking a bong while pregnant, Billie Jo Wilkie has found herself behind bars after being caught twice in one day driving while disqualified.

Ms Wilkie, 22, whose story formed part of SBS documentary Struggle Street, appeared before Mount Druitt Local Court on Friday on charges of driving without a licence and driving an unregistered vehicle. 

The Lethbridge Park woman was arrested on Thursday and spent the night in a cell at Mount Druitt police station. She was remanded in custody on Friday when she did not apply for bail. The matter was adjourned until May 19.

Some of the toughest criticism of Struggle Street was directed at Ms Wilkie. The confronting footage of the then 21-year-old smoking pot and cigarettes in the final trimester of her third pregnancy outraged many.  SBS has promoted the program as a way to "meet the people" behind the labels "dole bludgers", "housos" and "druggos".

After the scenes aired on Wednesday night, Twitter users damned Ms Wilkie for her "disgusting" choices.

Police said they caught her driving without a licence at 3.30pm on Thursday, less than 24 hours after the show aired. Her Ford Falcon was also unregistered.

They advised Ms Wilkie she would be issued a court attendance notice and allowed to go but claim that six hours later she was back behind the wheel of the same car and was caught again at 9.40pm when police stopped her car to conduct a random breath test.

Police said the test returned a negative result but officers identified Ms Wilkie as the same driver who had been caught earlier.

She was held without bail at the police station until her court appearance on Friday.

Ms Wilkie had been on bail for escaping lawful custody and is scheduled to appear before court in late June. 

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/tv-and-radio/struggle-streets-billie-jo-wilkie-caught-twice-in-one-day-driving-while-disqualified-20150515-gh28ge.html#ixzz3aClneDM2

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/tv-and-radio/struggle-streets-billie-jo-wilkie-caught-twice-in-one-day-driving-while-disqualified-20150515-gh28ge.html#ixzz3aCldUs1h

• 3 weeks later...

All right time to spread the word, the Powerchair tour of duty will be on july 25th at 3,00 pm kevin betts stadium. Once a year we need to try to get out and support these guys n gurls as much as possible. After the match there will be a gathering at Lone Pine Tavern, Rooty Hill for drinks/food etc. :clapping:

out.

that is the Melbourne Madrid weekend i want be back until the monday :sorry:

i know same goes here sucks, but then again if i can get a cheap ass flight for a day in day out trip would love to come. This is why we need droids of ourselves ppl. Our lives sometimes are too busy and we need a 2nd copy of us so we can represent and be somewhere 2 places at once

• 4 months later...

How far back was it Jack.... I can't have gone back far enough! Thank you!!  :)

OK... So.......a pat on the back for the people of Blacktown.

I have a sister. She's the opposite of me.  Hard to get on with.... glass half empty and always quick to be critical. etc etc

Rarely has a good word to say about anyone.  

Yesterday, she had reason to visit Blacktown- (the shopping centre area)... but wasn't sure of where to find the two places she needed to visit.  Doesn't use a phone for such matters.

So she relied on asking people in the street for directions.

I can't remember the last time I heard her being so warm and positive about any experience she'd had.  She said she probably had to approach 7-8 different people for directions. Every person she approached spent time trying to help her. One young guy whipped out his phone, looked up a number and actually called on her behalf to ask if the place she was looking for was still open.

She was actually ecstatic at how friendly and helpful the people she'd encountered were.

So well done Blacktown!!

:good:  :good:

How far back was it Jack.... I can't have gone back far enough! Thank you!!  :)

OK... So.......a pat on the back for the people of Blacktown.

I have a sister. She's the opposite of me.  Hard to get on with.... glass half empty and always quick to be critical. etc etc

Rarely has a good word to say about anyone.  

Yesterday, she had reason to visit Blacktown- (the shopping centre area)... but wasn't sure of where to find the two places she needed to visit.  Doesn't use a phone for such matters.

So she relied on asking people in the street for directions.

I can't remember the last time I heard her being so warm and positive about any experience she'd had.  She said she probably had to approach 7-8 different people for directions. Every person she approached spent time trying to help her. One young guy whipped out his phone, looked up a number and actually called on her behalf to ask it the place she was looking for was still open.

She was actually ecstatic at how friendly and helpful the people she'd encountered were.

So well done Blacktown!!

:good:  :good:

Were you looking in the Supporting the Wanderers section? It was about mid page Teach! Gee I thought it was us men that didn't look properly.......

:P

:grouphug:

^^^  No........... I didn't know which forum it was in.  Wasn't even quite sure of the title either.

I mainly in 'View New Content"............lol................not the most efficient means to search for something.

Used the search function about 4 times which directed me to a page which the thread did NOT appear on.

Then I did what men don't like doing...... but which women are quite comfortable doing. 

And that is ....asking for assistance.    :yahoo:

And look where that got me!!    :good:

Seriously guys.......... it's a great way to sort out a problem!  :xnod: