Bluesfest @ Byron

I remember seeing Michael Feranti in London in about 99 he was great, the early stuff was good, his bass player was amazing. I haven’t listened to him for about 10 years so no idea what his new stuff is like.

I had flat mates back in the day who played Ben Harper so much that to this day I can’t here him without wanting to punch something.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Edin 

You should go just some of the artist on this list you would pay a small fortune to see as a stand alone act never mind ...

Just a couple for you

Mavis Staples Gospel sing but quality an a voice one of the best I have heard

Ruth Foster ... tongue hanging out another voice to die for.

Finally Hozier and by heck can this boy sing you may have heard this song on the radio over 400 million views.

Wen

You gotta go this year you will have a ball, five stages all going the same time ... the stress of choosing who to see as you pour over the playing sheets and you can youtube the acts well before hand and on the site they give a little guide to each artists ..

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, wendybr said:

I'm looking into it.

Is accomm difficult to find do you know?

If you want a house/apartment etc. you usually have to get in pretty quick. If you want to camp on site it is easier.

Mum goes every year and stays in Brunswick Heads, but it fills up pretty quick.

2 minutes ago, Carns said:

If you want a house/apartment etc. you usually have to get in pretty quick. If you want to camp on site it is easier.

Mum goes every year and stays in Brunswick Heads, but it fills up pretty quick.

Probably booked out since last year - but I'm having a look now.

5 hours ago, wendybr said:

I think Midfielder is a regular attendee - and Carns a sometime attendee?

One or two others have mentioned attending in the past, I'm pretty sure.

I'm looking into it.

You can camp at Festival ... they bring in showers, bathroom facilities etc...  you can get from a one day camp to a 5 day past.

I been to five over the last 11 years ... sometimes things just get in the way ... 

In the festival grounds they have a number of food halls and canteen facilities ...

There are only a few powered sites and there is no limit in a practical sense of how small or large your site is... in the camp grounds they have a kinda  a place that sells milk and you can get an egg and bacon or coffee..

Lots of people have solar powered outfits that always make me jealous ... but if you don't have solar gear bring some touches... also bring gum boots so if it rains your feet don't get wet ...  

Normally the bands start playing at midday and finish around midnight... so essentially you don't spend much time at your tent or caravan ... 

The camping is great as you get to talk and swap stories with those around you and hear who they are going to see and why... the talking and meeting people with similar interests and getting to know other acts is joyful ...

Some of the bests acts I have seen have been from fellow campers saying you gotta see ????? ...

At times I feel ashamed at my limited knowledge compared to many around me.. especially as I think I have a lot of knowledge... 

What I do some days [ when I don't sleep in] is drive to Byron or catch the bus to Byron, in the morning and go for a surf ... BTW I love surfing and IMO Byron is a magical beach for surfing... after a surf go to the pub have a lunch and beer ... head back to the festival and choose my days watching...

The worst and the worst happens a lot is when two acts you wanta see are performing at the same time...

For those that don't know they have five tents from mega big to say a 500 person tent and often a buskers stage all going at the same time.... 

If you get bored with an act you simply walk to another tent...

12 hours ago, wendybr said:

I think Midfielder is a regular attendee - and Carns a sometime attendee?

One or two others have mentioned attending in the past, I'm pretty sure.

I'm looking into it.

I was looking at some of the hostels in Byron, they seemed to still have a fair amount of vacancies.

I stayed at Lennox Head one year so worth looking there too, the bus commute wasn't too bad but you can run into traffic going through the main streets of Byron.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...