Off Topic Thread 4

mack

OMG! 

https://retractionwatch.com/2021/11/09/bad-math-covid-treatment-paper-by-pierre-kory-retracted-for-flawed-results/

Pierre Kory has a lot to answer for. 

He should have let the scientists do science. He is now responsible for a whole lot of sceptics who believed him and his Ivermectin claims and believed there was a conspiracy to stop the repurposing of off label drugs. Ugh!!!! 

Edited by Cynth
3 hours ago, Cynth said:

OMG! 

https://retractionwatch.com/2021/11/09/bad-math-covid-treatment-paper-by-pierre-kory-retracted-for-flawed-results/

Pierre Kory has a lot to answer for. 

He should have let the scientists do science. He is now responsible for a whole lot of sceptics who believed him and his Ivermectin claims and believed there was a conspiracy to stop the repurposing of off label drugs. Ugh!!!! 

LOLOLOLOL!!

Have you watched this one yet, Cynth??  :lol:

This one is pretty damned Sciency .....to me...minus the paper illustrations, the scissors and the sticky tape!!

PS Not my fault - Cynth started it!  :xbop:

PPS I waited til after the game at least!

Dr. John Campbell 1.28M subscribers

New Pfizer antiviral and ivermectin, a pharmacodynamic analysis
New Pfizer antiviral, PF-07321332, C₂₃H₃₂F₃N₅O₄ PF-07321332 is designed to block the activity of the SARS-CoV-2-3CL protease, https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-rel...
So, what is a protease? So what is a protease inhibitor? And, what is 3CL? Chymotrypsin-like protease (3CL main protease, or 3CL Mpro) Identification of SARS-CoV‑2 3CL Protease Inhibitors by a Quantitative High-Throughput Screening (3rd September 2020) https://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/...
The activity of the anti-SARS-CoV-2 viral infection was confirmed in 7 of 23 compounds Microscopic interactions between ivermectin and key human and viral proteins involved in SARS-CoV-2 infection

https://pubs.rsc.org/en/content/artic... the strength and persistency of the interaction between IVE and the binding site of 3CLpro indicate that a partial inhibition of the catalytic activity could have place as the drug interacts with the main subdomains that define the enzyme binding pocket: Identification of 3-chymotrypsin like protease (3CLPro) inhibitors as potential anti-SARS-CoV-2 agents

https://www.nature.com/articles/s4200... as shown in Fig. 4, out of 13 OTDs only ivermectin completely blocked ( more than 80%) the 3CLpro activity at 50 µM concentration. Development, validation, and approval of COVID-19 specific drugs takes years. Therefore, the idea of drug repositioning, also known as repurposing, is an important strategy to control the sudden outbreak of life-threatening infectious agents that spread rapidly. Ilimaquinone (marine sponge metabolite) as a novel inhibitor of SARS-CoV-2 key target proteins in comparison with suggested COVID-19 drugs: designing, docking and molecular dynamics simulation study

From the docking analysis, ivermectin showed the highest docking score with an average energy of −8.5 kcal mol−1 among all the compounds.
Remdesivir showed the lowest binding energy and highest docking score of −9.9 kcal mol−1

https://bnf.nice.org.uk/medicinal-for... Ritonavir, C37H48N6O5S2 Ivermectin, C48H74O14 Exploring the binding efficacy of ivermectin against the key proteins of SARS-CoV-2 pathogenesis: an in silico approach

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti... We have documented an intense binding of both ivermectin B1a and B1b isomer to the main protease with subsequent energy (ETot-) values of -384.56 and -408.6. PF-07321332 is designed to block the activity of the SARS-CoV-2-3CL protease,

Risk of virus developing resistance to PF-07321332 Molecular Docking Reveals Ivermectin and Remdesivir as Potential Repurposed Drugs Against SARS-CoV-2

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/... With SARS-CoV-2 S Spike protein Ivermectin showed high binding affinity to the viral S protein as well as the human cell surface receptors ACE-2 and TMPRSS2. In agreement to our findings, ivermectin was found to be docked between the viral spike and the ACE2 receptor Binding Interactions of Selected Drugs With Human TMPRSS2 Protein (ACE2 protein) The docking results revealed that ivermectin showed the highest binding affinity to the active site of the protein (MolDock score −174.971) and protein–ligand interactions Binding Interactions of Selected Drugs With Human ACE-2 Protein that ivermectin showed the highest binding affinity to the active site of the protein (MolDock score −159.754) and protein–ligand interactions With SARS-CoV-2 S Glycoprotein Ivermectin showed the highest binding affinity to the predicted active site of the protein With SARS-CoV-2 Nsp14 Protein ivermectin showed the highest binding affinity (MolDock score −212.265) and protein–ligand interactions Binding Interactions of Selected Drugs With SARS-CoV-2 PLpro Ivermectin showed the highest binding affinity to the predicted active site of the protein (MolDock score −180.765) and protein–ligand interactions

A brief message to world leaders Come on ya all
10 minutes ago, wendybr said:

LOLOLOLOL!!

Have you watched this one yet, Cynth??  :lol:

This one is pretty damned Sciency .....to me...minus the paper illustrations, the scissors and the sticky tape!!

PS Not my fault - Cynth started it!  :xbop:

PPS I waited til after the game at least!

Wendy I’ll watch I promise but it is talking about the modality of action of two drugs. Not mind blowing, I’m not gonna defend the Pfizer treatment drug when there’s a perfectly good vaccine. 

Maybe you’d like to acknowledge that Pierre Kory and his associates didn’t do their maths right, mixing up numerators and denominators and it turns out that Ivermectin treated people fared worse than the other group!! It’s dishonest, at best it’s just ignorant. 

6 minutes ago, Cynth said:

Wendy I’ll watch I promise but it is talking about the modality of action of two drugs. Not mind blowing, I’m not gonna defend the Pfizer treatment drug when there’s a perfectly good vaccine. 

PS Well - I'd rather the Pfizer drug than Molnupiravir - which we've ordered by the tens of thousands.

1 minute ago, wendybr said:

PS Well - I'd rather the Pfizer drug than Molnupiravir - which we've ordered by the tens of thousands.

And I’d rather have a vaccine that gives me almost certainty that I won’t get seriously ill from Covid should I be unlucky enough to catch it. 

38 minutes ago, Cynth said:

Who is Jonathan Ross and why would you ask such a gross question? 

Attempt to hold a more sensible conversation than the other one 

Just substitute David Koch to Australianise the question 

1 hour ago, Cynth said:

PS It really doesn't have to be a "one or the other" scenario!

It isn't  AT ALL mutually exclusive to work on strengthening one's immune system (an absolute no-brainer, to me), get jabbed, if that's what you want AND have effective antiviral early treatments available.

Not sure about the former, sadly, because the medical authorities have given it zero priority, but I'm sure the 2nd and 3rd options will coexist in the near future. Especially if the early treatments arem't prohibitively expensive.

It isn't  AT ALL mutually exclusive to work on strengthening one's immune system (an absolute no-brainer, to me), get jabbed, if that's what you want AND have effective antiviral early treatments available.

Not sure about the former, sadly, because the medical authorities have given it zero priority, but I'm sure the 2nd and 3rd options will coexist in the near future. Especially if the early treatments arem't prohibitively expensive.

The types of preexisting conditions that make Covid more of a danger are not fixed by improving your immune system which in fact if you eat well and have a healthy lifestyle should be fine…..it’s things like obesity, diabetes, cancer, autoimmune disorders etc. You can all the Vit C, Zinc and Vit D in the world but most of it will be peeed  out because you get most from your healthy lifestyle. But it can’t hurt I guess. 

2 minutes ago, wendybr said:

If you had to marry one of the Muppets which one would it be and why? 

55 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

All I'm going to say is this is totally mental 

PS I love the word 'sciency' it is the perfect description for most of  this anti Vax stuff.. It looks a bit 'sciencey' but not actually science

John Campbell is passionately pro-vax, BUT he has also been convinced by what he has seen/heard/researched of IVM - and is skeptical about the campaign against it.

He is never sarcastic about anything...other than when he discusses IVM and the vilification it has received, because it doesn't make anyone money...and would stand in the way of profitable new meds. :pardon:

John Campbell is passionately pro-vax, BUT he has also been convinced by what he has seen/heard/researched of IVM - and is skeptical about the campaign against it.

He is never sarcastic about anything...other than when he discusses IVM and the vilification it has received, because it doesn't make anyone money...and would stand in the way of profitable new meds. :pardon:

Ummm I’m too scared to post the info that in fact that group of doctors were maybe making money from it……nah, Mack will hate me…

2 minutes ago, Cynth said:

The types of preexisting conditions that make Covid more of a danger are not fixed by improving your immune system which in fact if you eat well and have a healthy lifestyle should be fine…..it’s things like obesity, diabetes, cancer, autoimmune disorders etc. You can all the Vit C, Zinc and Vit D in the world but most of it will be peeed  out because you get most from your healthy lifestyle. But it can’t hurt I guess. 

I keep hearing over and over that the majority of Americans are Vit D deficient - and that darker skinned people are even more so. Pretty sure it would be the same here - esp for older people, and DEFINITELY for people in aged care situations..

That's one absolute starting point to reduce the risks of ALL SORTS of disorders.

Starting point for us all really should be to have it checked regularly.

I'll get another test done soon - and have been seriously working on it since my last blood test - which showed OK but not optimal levels.

Prior to that, I have been is the clearly deficient range.

Some really good Youtube vids on it, actually.

9 minutes ago, wendybr said:

If there was a Channel 7 made for TV mini-series of your life who would play you are various ages? Keeping in mind that it is channel 7 made for TV so no big name actors? 

I'm thinking I'd get Alex Papps to play the younger me (although it have to be when he was on the Henderson kids not now or or would be silly) 

Maybe now Craig Foster could play me now ? Although I think Ben Mendelson could do the but where I'm driven to madness..

I might start my own thread anyone else got any thoughts? 

Edited by StringerBellend
3 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

If there was a Channel 7 made for TV mini-series of your life who would play you are various ages? Keeping in mind that it is channel 7 made for TV so no big name actors? 

I'm thinking I'd get Alex Papps to play the younger me (although it have to be when he was on the Henderson kids not now or or would be silly) 

Maybe now Craig Foster could play me ?

I wanna play myself and then Craig Foster can play my husband! :wub:

18 minutes ago, Cynth said:

Ummm I’m too scared to post the info that in fact that group of doctors were maybe making money from it……nah, Mack will hate me…

Do it...maybe some do. 

But there has been research out of Spain, Ireland, Israel (I think) about the poorer outcomes in the seriously ill of those with lower Vit D levels compared with those with better levels.. And lower Zinc levels too.

I've heard some doctors talk about the "Swiss Cheese" approach to protecting yourself - and the graphic to accompany the analogy depicts lining up the holes in Swiss cheese in different places - so there are blocks to the virus.

So there's healthy diet and exercise, being in the right range with things to strengthen the immune system, social distancing (still likely to be somewhat necessary) masks (yes...sigh), vaccines, early treatments.

Something like that.

Makes sense to me - as it becomes endemic - and circulates mostly in Winter, as other respiratory viruses do (even though I know it's much worse than these, at its worst).

• mack locked this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic