Cricket thread

Guest ZipGunBop

Stoinis as his replacement with his stellar Shield average of about 15.

He probably won't play a game, but his selection is a massive joke. The Victorian selectors should be discussing whether he should be picked, not the Australian ones.

The loss of Starc now is a massive, massive blow. Wickets with pace will be hard to come by now. Hazelwood and Starc complement each other perfectly, Hazelwood and Bird would be a bit too defensive for Indian conditions.

Stoinis as his replacement with his stellar Shield average of about 15.

He probably won't play a game, but his selection is a massive joke. The Victorian selectors should be discussing whether he should be picked, not the Australian ones.

Our desire to create an allrounder is sad. Just pick the best damn players!

Why not send Kurtis Patterson? He was apparently in the mix when Maddison was picked but selectors went with their gut instead of a first class average on the right side of 40.

They're so worried about not having that third seamer, so they're picking guys who simply aren't good enough. If Stoinis gets a gig ahead of Usi or Maxwell, that'll do me. Especially now that Bird is in and he can bowl longer spells than Starc.

On a lighter note, lol:

http://wwos.nine.com.au/2017/03/10/07/12/victorian-cricketer-fawad-ahmed-walks-out-to-bat-without-a-bat

So, about this drs controversy. Kohli claimed that the Aussies have been systematically using the dressing room to help, a pretty big accusation. He said it happened a couple of times while he was out there. Given he wasn't out there long, it should be easy for him to identify when it occurred. Shouldn't he have been made to back up his clams?

We have one of the teams doing something really wrong here - either one team is cheating or the other is making false claims of cheating.

Personally, I think it's been a bit overblown, but it's a pretty easy one to resolve for the ICC. Or did India pull their complaint because they realised they'd have to back it up? With all the footage these days you'd expect that someone would have found something else if it existed.

They should of sent Pat Cummins to replace Starc. He can bowl swing,reverse swing,he's fast,he is a top class fielder and he can handle a bat,plus he has test match experience.

Stonis got picked because he a 100 in a ODI. ODI is not test cricket.

Edited by sonar100

They should of sent Pat Cummins to replace Starc. He can bowl swing,reverse swing,he's fast,he is a top class fielder and he can handle a bat,plus he has test match experience.

http://www.cricket.com.au/news/pat-cummins-replaces-mitchell-starc-injury-james-pattinson-australia-tour-of-india-highlights/2017-03-11

I don't know where I got it wrong about Stonis being picked.....another 1-D-1-0-T moment.

Edited by sonar100

http://www.cricket.com.au/news/pat-cummins-replaces-mitchell-starc-injury-james-pattinson-australia-tour-of-india-highlights/2017-03-11

I don't know where I got it wrong about Stonis being picked.....another 1-D-1-0-T moment.

Pretty sure that Stonis went for Mitchell Marsh.

Cummins for Starc.

Hopefully they just pick Usman or Maxwell, depending on who is batting better in the nets, and not force Stonis into the 11.

Don't think Starc is as big a loss as it's being made out to be. Yeah he can bowl a devastating spell but he also can bowl a lot of filth. His burst in the second innings came too late. Depending on the pitch, Bird/ a fit Cummins could be more consistent and therefore more dangerous. 

Don't think Starc is as big a loss as it's being made out to be. Yeah he can bowl a devastating spell but he also can bowl a lot of filth. His burst in the second innings came too late. Depending on the pitch, Bird/ a fit Cummins could be more consistent and therefore more dangerous. 

Perhaps this is the case in England, or even Australia, but on Indian wickets I just don;t see Bird being anywhere near as effective as Starc. Nibbling away at off doesn't get the wickets there it does here - you need to be able to reverse the ball and hit the stumps. Starc can do that. Bird, not so much. Not saying Bird is a bad bowler, but Starc is a much bigger loss on the sub-continent than he would be here or in countries like England and South Africa. 

I really feel we need the aggressive bowler to complement Hazelwood on those pitches. Personally I would have sent Pattinson ahead of Cummins (purely because he has much more red ball cricket under his belt over the last few years), but now that they have gone with Cummins, they probably need to take the punt in him.

Ha! Talking the opposition up again!

Just stop it.

I can't believe the stories are that we are considering Stoinis for 6. In fact, I can't believe that Henriques wasn't sent. He has a 60 and an 80 not out from 6 innings in India and is averaging 65 this year in the Shield. Nah, let's send an untested T20 guy who is averaging 15.

What are they thinking? Are they that desperate for an allrounder that can seemingly bowl pace, that they will squeeze a dude with no batting form or history into the top 6 for such an important series? Oh wait, they already tried that! Let's double down!

What about this guy!

http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/1086121.html

Enamel paint for his body, which he usually procures in half-litre batches for each series, takes close to six hours to apply, which often means having to give up sleep at night. "Lying down would mess up the paint. Whether I'm staying at a friend's place or in a hotel room, I sit through the night after my body is painted before a match."

Hahah, half of me thinks that's awesome reading that, and half of me think it's a bit of a waste of time. I mean I ******* love cricket but to literally only go to games for your entire life at the expense of everything else...that said, I bet he's not complaining when he's being put up in a hotel room for the World Cup, the ****.

This was another good one...for all the nonsense on the field, this is what tours like this are really about:

http://www.cricket.com.au/video#videoId=5359418168001

Brilliant innings from Devereux today, always shows up when it matters. I can't stomach Maxwell making test runs though.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/india-v-australia-2016-17/content/story/1087041.html

Maxwell is the L'enfant terrible of Australian batting...

Sure you could argue that his first-class average is higher than Rob Quiney, Callum Ferguson, Nic Maddinson and Andrew McDonald. Let us not even mention Mitchell Marsh's first-class average here for fear of embarrassing it further. We could shout that Maxwell has played some of his greatest innings when Victoria needed it most, like when he went out to bat when the score was 9 for 6 and made a 127 out of 186. Or we could point out that he averaged over 50 last season in the Shield.

This test has been decent, but nowhere near as compelling as the other two. I like cricket much better when ball is dominating bat. This pitch has been too flat. Huge scores and hoping the visitors collapse because of last day pressure on a deteriorating pitch is no fun to watch.

The problem for Aus wasn't the bowling yesterday, it was the number of top-order dismissals on day one that were due to poor batting rather than decent bowling. We should have posted 600 ourselves.

I really hope we draw this otherwise the 4th test will be an absolute road. It will be the most boring of the lot, with plus 600 scores expected.

God Kohli is a ****wit. Call it off you arse.

The draw is looking all but certain now. True that this test hasn't been as good as the first two, but **** I can't wait for the decider.

Me too! Looking forward to seeing what sort of pitch they prepare now they have to win!

Edit: if I was Handscomb I'd be telling Kohli his close in fielders are going to get hurt if he doesn't call it off, then I'd start teeing off.

• mack locked this topic