Cricket thread

Guest ZipGunBop

Where do you start?

Sutherland out, Howard out, Lehmann out, selectors out.

Argus review out.

Let some new guys start again using COMMON SENSE. Pick some young blokes, let them learn Test cricket and deal with the ups and downs along the way.

Edited by btron3000

Has to be done. The batsmen have to go - Burns is a class below Tests, Voges is done and too old, and Ferguson might just have debuted at the wrong time and not made the most of it.

Mennie should never have been picked ahead of Bird. It was a ludicrous decision and Mennie is a trundler.

Neville and Lyon I think are a bit hard-done by if they go. Lyon was not really any worse than the SA spinner, and has often got important wickets. And Neville was one of the only ones to tough it out and if the top order was performing no-one would be worried about him. If Wade has improved his glovework then fair enough I guess, he can grind out a hundred.

Greg Chappell has a history of going with youth. Whoever they pick, they have to be thinking long-term and stick with them.

Edited by btron3000

WOW!!!

That's the most dramatic changes I reckon I've seen in 40 years of watching Aussie test cricket, without changes being made for retirements.

This team will probably still get well and truly stuffed in the next test, but geez, good stuff for trying to plan for the future.

Good riddance Rod Marsh.

Found guilty of ball tampering for the second time, no suspension. LOL

The ICC are right up there with FIFA. Corrupt and incompetent.

Lets be honest though what he did was pretty bloody minor, and is something that is rampant in cricket at all levels. Mints are a pretty hard thing to stop. It certainly had no bearing on Australia getting smashed.

Found guilty of ball tampering for the second time, no suspension. LOL

The ICC are right up there with FIFA. Corrupt and incompetent.

Lets be honest though what he did was pretty bloody minor, and is something that is rampant in cricket at all levels. Mints are a pretty hard thing to stop. It certainly had no bearing on Australia getting smashed.

Totally agree. I remember one day I was bowling and simply could not control the ball. It was swinging all over the place. I said something to one of the fielders and he was cracking up. Told me he was putting sunscreen on it when he shined it. I had no idea :rofl:

But why have the rule, find him guilty - for a second time - and then basically no punishment?

I can't believe it, but I just heard Brett Lee speak about it and I agree with him. They either need to make the rule that anyone with a foreign object (not his words) in their mouth can't shine the ball, or let it go and just say you can't put a foreign object directly on the ball or the finger/hand you are using to shine the ball.

It's not that hard. It was 2005 when England did it, and a few years later that one of them - Trescothick? - admitted it in an autobiography, surely they could have had something in place by now.

I'm actually happy that the bowlers are getting something going their way, think they should take option 2 of Lee's thoughts.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I was at the SCG last night and Smith's innings was great, but the catch was easily the best I've ever seen live. It went like a rocket and he was totally parallel to the ground when he caught it. Unbelievable.

Saw Rowdy Mallett take a similar catch in the gully during the 1974/75 Ashes series. He describes it (and his theory of fielding in that position here)

• 2 weeks later...

India well on the way to making it a 4-0 series win over England to end their 5 test series. I give us no chance over thete in February.

Oh, and apparently the circus us starting again tonight. Yawn.

It might be a yawn but look at the crowd...22k-23k....compare that to what we are drawing at the same venue.I know it's holidays and all that,but.......

India well on the way to making it a 4-0 series win over England to end their 5 test series. I give us no chance over thete in February.

It might be a yawn but look at the crowd...22k-23k....compare that to what we are drawing at the same venue.I know it's holidays and all that,but.......

They play 4 home games a year. Their season goes for a month. They should be getting crowds.

We play 14 home games, plus FFA Cup and ACL, so 18 home games minumum. You cannot compare the two. If you do want to compare, we got 63k to our Sydney derby ...

They play 4 home games a year. Their season goes for a month. They should be getting crowds.

We play 14 home games, plus FFA Cup and ACL, so 18 home games minumum. You cannot compare the two. If you do want to compare, we got 63k to our Sydney derby ...

It's not about just having 4 home games.The BBL will rate off the wall for however long it is on.The tv ratings will be massive.We are getting "f" all crowds for our home games at spotless and the ratings on tv for our game are not much better. The big crowd for the derby is wsw fans hoping with all their might we beat the smurfs.I read somewhere on this forum that the tv audience for the melbourne derby was 81k.The nation was clearly enthralled and captivated.!

Edited by sonar100

Half the crowd were supporting the opposition mind....