Getting back our Church Street March

‘Give us another chance’: Wanderers' fans

By Melanie Kembrey Aug. 22, 2013, 9 a.m.

On the march: Western Sydney Wanderers fans en route to the Brisbane Roar semi final at Parramatta Stadium this year. Picture: Bre

WESTERN Sydney Wanderers fans have launched a campaign to resume pre-match marches down Parramatta’s main street after violence saw them diverted to another route.

A group of the football team’s fans are rallying support on social media to bring back the march down Church Street to Parramatta Stadium during the Wanderers’ second season in the A-League competition.

The march was diverted from the busy dining and shopping street to Marsden Street and Victoria Road after incidents occurred during a pre-match march in March.

Video footage from the march showed fans banging on the windows and throwing projectiles into the outdoor area of the Ribs and Rumps Restaurant and of groups of Wanderers fans abusing and attacking Sydney FC fans.

A spokesman for the Bring Back WSW Church St March Facebook page said the march was an important part of each match and should be celebrated in the heart of Parramatta.

‘‘It provides a festive, carnival atmosphere and involves people of all ages and backgrounds,’’ the spokesman said.

‘‘It is something unique to western Sydney. The benefits are far too great to be overridden by the negative actions of a small minority.’’

Parramatta Chamber of Commerce acting president Roger Byrne said he hadn’t received any complaints from businesses about the marches in the past.

‘‘We think it’s very beneficial to the businesses of Parramatta and to have the march pass through Church Street can only raise awareness of what’s happening in shopping and dining in that area but it needs to be policed and maintained properly,’’ Mr Bryne said.

Parramatta police acting commander Superintendent Karen Webb said police would consider several factors including the number of people participating in the march and whether it would occur during peak time, if fans sought permission to march down Church Street before the Wanderer’s first home game on October 20.

‘‘They exhibited very poor behaviour along the restaurant strip that interfered with the diners. Our emphasis is on public safety and the march was diverted down to another route to Parramatta Stadium that didn’t interfere with the public going about their business,’’ she said.

‘‘The alternate route was developed also because of the increasing numbers of people taking part in the march and Church Street is narrower in some parts. Lot’s of things are taken into consideration for the fans’ safety and the safety of the public.’’

Parramatta lord mayor John Chedid said he was very supportive of the Wanderers and their fans.

‘‘I support whichever route will best secure the public’s safety, whilst ensuring the Wanderers and their fans enjoy their time in Parramatta.’’

I know but it's still a a bit of a cop out. I do feel a bit more hopeful after having read the article though

Glad you felt that after reading it. We want to raise awareness and engage to compliment the already terrific work the core RBB have been doing behind the scenes.

Check your PM's westofcentre

I know but it's still a a bit of a cop out. I do feel a bit more hopeful after having read the article though

Glad you felt that after reading it. We want to raise awareness and engage to compliment the already terrific work the core RBB have been doing behind the scenes.

I did - Rudd is still a sh!t head.

Have replied brother :)

I did - Rudd is still a **** head.

We can no longer be friends!

I did - Rudd is still a **** head.

We can no longer be friends!

Why did my cheque bounce? ;)

On the march: Western Sydney Wanderers fans en route to the Brisbane Roar semi final at Parramatta Stadium this year. Picture: Bre

WESTERN Sydney Wanderers fans have launched a campaign to resume pre-match marches down Parramatta’s main street after violence saw them diverted to another route.

A group of the football team’s fans are rallying support on social media to bring back the march down Church Street to Parramatta Stadium during the Wanderers’ second season in the A-League competition.

The march was diverted from the busy dining and shopping street to Marsden Street and Victoria Road after incidents occurred during a pre-match march in March.

Video footage from the march showed fans banging on the windows and throwing projectiles into the outdoor area of the Ribs and Rumps Restaurant and of groups of Wanderers fans abusing and attacking Sydney FC fans.

A spokesman for the Bring Back WSW Church St March Facebook page said the march was an important part of each match and should be celebrated in the heart of Parramatta.

‘‘It provides a festive, carnival atmosphere and involves people of all ages and backgrounds,’’ the spokesman said.

‘‘It is something unique to western Sydney. The benefits are far too great to be overridden by the negative actions of a small minority.’’

Parramatta Chamber of Commerce acting president Roger Byrne said he hadn’t received any complaints from businesses about the marches in the past.

‘‘We think it’s very beneficial to the businesses of Parramatta and to have the march pass through Church Street can only raise awareness of what’s happening in shopping and dining in that area but it needs to be policed and maintained properly,’’ Mr Bryne said.

Parramatta police acting commander Superintendent Karen Webb said police would consider several factors including the number of people participating in the march and whether it would occur during peak time, if fans sought permission to march down Church Street before the Wanderer’s first home game on October 20.

‘‘They exhibited very poor behaviour along the restaurant strip that interfered with the diners. Our emphasis is on public safety and the march was diverted down to another route to Parramatta Stadium that didn’t interfere with the public going about their business,’’ she said.

‘‘The alternate route was developed also because of the increasing numbers of people taking part in the march and Church Street is narrower in some parts. Lot’s of things are taken into consideration for the fans’ safety and the safety of the public.’’

Parramatta lord mayor John Chedid said he was very supportive of the Wanderers and their fans.

‘‘I support whichever route will best secure the public’s safety, whilst ensuring the Wanderers and their fans enjoy their time in Parramatta.’’

Good article. This was covering the front page of the Parramatta Advertiser!

Good article. This was covering the front page of the Parramatta Advertiser!

Yeah the original photo was going to be of me flexing but they didnt have a panoramic lens.

"Parramatta police acting commander Superintendent Karen Webb said police would consider several factors including the number of people participating in the march and whether it would occur during peak time, if fans sought permission to march down Church Street before the Wanderer’s first home game on October 20."

We shrink the next march as much as possible. Get it moved to church, then explode again.

Get 20 blokes together looking like they're gonna march and have them start off. Meanwhile everyone else hides in the restaurants, pubs and wherever else throughout church street. All of a sudden everyone appear and start singing and there's your march and a piece of history. Coppas will be too busy cleaning the **** out of their pants to stop us

Get 20 blokes together looking like they're gonna march and have them start off. Meanwhile everyone else hides in the restaurants, pubs and wherever else throughout church street. All of a sudden everyone appear and start singing and there's your march and a piece of history. Coppas will be too busy cleaning the **** out of their pants to stop us

Looks like alot people are in favour of marshall law

Excellent idea.

Then we can have a silent protest in the 39th minute in our second home match....... :nono:

If we can't march in church street, I probably wot march nomore then, I'll just walk down church street with my mate....

Thats the idea...how can they stop 2000 mates walking down the street...cant help it if we sing a song or two..

Look, in a way we can't complain, we brought this crap on ourselves, we had a massive target on our back and didn't do nothing about it, I am not complaining about not being able to march, I'll just walk down church street anyways

Walking and marching are two different things!

And you also realise that if x* amount of people "congregate" it's deemed a public assembly and can be governed as such.

The "I'm just walking with 200 of my mates" excuse will not fly.

* I don't know the actual figure. Someone else can confirm or look it up

Look, I really think if there are no issues early in the year with problematic behaviour, then we may have a little more validity later in the year to have some latitude..But its early days yet, and we will not be going down Church st for a while...They want us to split up and be divided on these issues..but we must stay together and accomplish things as a united and collective group..

I am not walking with 200 of my mates, there is no more than 10 of us, when everyone exits wool pack and walks down marsden street, we are going through church street, simple as that.

And if we have 200 follow us then we are moving to the side, let them through and we will walk on our own.

I am not walking with 200 of my mates, there is no more than 10 of us, when everyone exits wool pack and walks down marsden street, we are going through church street, simple as that.

And if we have 200 follow us then we are moving to the side, let them through and we will walk on our own.

But how is that supportive of the March...basically what your saying is to hell with that..which is your prerogative of course. silent protest? or non conformist attitude?

Excellent idea.

Then we can have a silent protest in the 39th minute in our second home match....... :nono:

What do you call this...a flash March.../..has merit though

Then Hadley and the like have a victory....

It's more police victory than Hadley victory, from what I have been hearing, the march ha to be fought so hard for in the beginning anyways, the police never wanted this march.

Speaking of Hadley winning, marching down marsden st is a victory for him anyways isn't it? We are marching infront of nobody, no restaurant goers or people to see and enjoy the scenery

Which is of of course partly our fault anyways

You know what, I am sick of all you guys and your tom fooleries. So great is my disdain, that I will refuse to march with you down Marsden Street.

Now I just have to choose an alternative route.....hmmmmmmmmmmmm.....where could I choose?

Edited by westofcentre