Mental Health Thread 2

mack

The American Psychological Association is in turmoil since an independent report outlined the APA's involvement in the torture of detainees post Sep 11. In the mental health field this is as big an earthquake as the recent VW diesel scam in the car industry, or the FIFA/Blatter farce.

So far it has cost the APA seven board members, and APA members continue to be outraged. Now two psychologists who provided the CIA with advice how to break down detainees have been sued.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/oct/13/cia-torture-survivors-sue-psychologists-aclu

Sherry Turkle on the "little devices most of us carry around [which] are so powerful that they change not only what we do, but also who we are". Sobering and disturbing.

http://www.ted.com/talks/sherry_turkle_alone_together#t-1160921

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/22/opinion/sunday/the-flight-from-conversation.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/04/books/review/jonathan-franzen-reviews-sherry-turkle-reclaiming-conversation.html

Nice find FCB, I don't think we realise there impact in our daily lives, only when we sit back & contemplate how different it is in today's world.

On your second post, that is incredibly disturbing :nono:

Sherry Turkle on the "little devices most of us carry around [which] are so powerful that they change not only what we do, but also who we are". Sobering and disturbing.

http://www.ted.com/talks/sherry_turkle_alone_together#t-1160921

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/22/opinion/sunday/the-flight-from-conversation.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/04/books/review/jonathan-franzen-reviews-sherry-turkle-reclaiming-conversation.html

Nice find FCB, I don't think we realise there impact in our daily lives, only when we sit back & contemplate how different it is in today's world.

On your second post, that is incredibly disturbing :nono:

Shocking stuff.

If a psychologist working in private practice is found guilty of professional misconduct they might find themselves de-registered, and - depending what the misconduct involved - might find themselves embroiled in a law suit. In contrast, the psychologist Mitchell and Jenssen banked $81 mio US for helping the CIA with their "how to torture effectively" program.

Up until August 2015 APA-members could ignore the Geneva Conventions and the United Nations Convention against Torture. It is quite amazing that the ethics director of the APA was one of those who went into bed with the Pentagon. Or maybe it isn't. "First do no harm" certainly did not apply at APA board level. Absolute dog's breakfast.

Have a read of the article in the link, and the comments.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/08/us/politics/psychologists-approve-ban-on-role-in-national-security-interrogations.html

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

In Australia, if you have so-called mental health issues, then chances are that sooner or later you'll end up in front of a psychologist for CBT sessions. It might not do you much good, according to the Swedes.

http://www.scottdmiller.com/feedback-informed-treatment-fit/swedish-national-audit-office-concludes-when-all-you-have-is-cbt-mental-health-suffers/?utm_campaign=FIT+Advanced+Intensive+Mar+2016&utm_source=hs_email&utm_medium=email&utm_content=24245956&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-8bYIoO5pPXpeAoptfyehS1kT0Ue0TO82pLkv9gqyuy50u_lY8dn0HpQh5r-0sNBONb-ltXKtKCHRRFAUqdaqAxk5VSTA&_hsmi=24245956

Two people close to me had been a bit low in recent months (one could say depressed) because of work issues. One could argue that a psychiatrist or psychologist might have diagnosed them with depression, and they might have ended up on medication, and/or CBT. Independent from each other both of them changed jobs, and both of them feel elevated. Are back to what they consider their normal happy selves.

People are depressed because depressing things have happened to them, or are still happening to them. There is nothing scientific about that. It's human nature. That's how we are as a species.

In Australia, if you have so-called mental health issues, then chances are that sooner or later you'll end up in front of a psychologist for CBT sessions. It might not do you much good, according to the Swedes.

http://www.scottdmiller.com/feedback-informed-treatment-fit/swedish-national-audit-office-concludes-when-all-you-have-is-cbt-mental-health-suffers/?utm_campaign=FIT+Advanced+Intensive+Mar+2016&utm_source=hs_email&utm_medium=email&utm_content=24245956&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-8bYIoO5pPXpeAoptfyehS1kT0Ue0TO82pLkv9gqyuy50u_lY8dn0HpQh5r-0sNBONb-ltXKtKCHRRFAUqdaqAxk5VSTA&_hsmi=24245956

Two people close to me had been a bit low in recent months (one could say depressed) because of work issues. One could argue that a psychiatrist or psychologist might have diagnosed them with depression, and they might have ended up on medication, and/or CBT. Independent from each other both of them changed jobs, and both of them feel elevated. Are back to what they consider their normal happy selves.

People are depressed because depressing things have happened to them, or are still happening to them. There is nothing scientific about that. It's human nature. That's how we are as a species.

FCB, I respect your opinion but I beg to differ.

Depression is diagnosed when there is a pattern of over 6 months of low mood, low motivation, anhedonia, sleep disturbance, low energy etc and a significant impact on the persons normal lifestyle. Depression, if diagnosed properly, is a pattern of functioning that is not necessarily related to the environment they are in. Some of these people cannot function in work or social situations. A GP worth their salt will initially refer for psychological intervention or counselling and a decent practitioner will only suggest medication if a period of intervention does not work. If a decent practitioner is referred someone who is struggling with an environmental stressor they will treat it as an adjustment problem, not depression, and they will support the person to problem solve the issues they are facing. Very few people unless they have an intractable depression will see a psychiatrist. Psychiatrists see more severe mental health. GPs manage the bulk of adjustment or depression problems.

The good news is, if a person comes to a psychologist (like me) and their issue does not seem to be depression related then they will usually be given some skills and really probably finish up within 2-3 sessions. Sometimes people just need someone to help them take the next steps forward.

I guess what I disagree with is that people are depressed becuase depressing things happen to them. Unfortunately, some people become depressed and this changes their perceptions of the things happening to them. For others depression can be in the context of longer term trauma which has affected their emotion regulation systems.

IMHO. :-)

Hahaha. I guess I asked for that response.

I guess I should have added "...in my view/experience" at the end. It's the old dichotomy of natural vs human sciences playing out here, and we will have to agree to disagree.

The outcome of the audit in Sweden is alarming though. It looks like they've taken a one size fits all approach, and it didn't work for them. Quite frankly, I am not surprised. 

Now let's get out of here before Zip and Mick find us.

Guest mickisnot

Is there a word in psychology, for someone who deems their opinions to be unshakable?

I would of thought this frame of mind was unhealthy and needed attention.

Is there a word in psychology, for someone who deems their opinions to be unshakable?

I would of thought this frame of mind was unhealthy and needed attention.

Yes, there is a word....let me think...I think the word is "conservative". Hehe, sorry couldn't resist. ;-) oops wrong thread.

Guest mickisnot

Of course I miss you LOL, Yes I can imagine why you can't have politics on the brain.

It's turbulent times for leftists in this political climate. Conflicting ideals and the harsh realities of humanity are pushing thoughts to a bottleneck.

The personal growth that one undertakes, if they want, is exponential throughout these times. No doubt it's a brought a smart girl like you to the mental health thread.

It takes time to push through personal vendettas.

Guest mickisnot

You should be a psychologist, I just thought I was dealing with some family stuff and some Wanderers stuff. (Shrug). ;-)

I used to be a youth councilor LOL. Nothing to intimate. But I used to watch online lectures and tried and get an understanding.

I worked with a lot of Aboriginals. Really tough kids. I just talked to them a lot and coordinated activities, talked to them in a judgement free zone etc.

They didn't like me very much at first I'll tell you.

Actually I got a tap on the shoulder the other day from a guy I used to talk too. Still didn't look in fantastic shape, but was dressed to start work as a kitchen hand. So he got the thumbs up from me!

You should be a psychologist, I just thought I was dealing with some family stuff and some Wanderers stuff. (Shrug). ;-)

I used to be a youth councilor LOL. Nothing to intimate. But I used to watch online lectures and tried and get an understanding.

I worked with a lot of Aboriginals. Really tough kids. I just talked to them a lot and coordinated activities, talked to them in a judgement free zone etc.

They didn't like me very much at first I'll tell you.

Actually I got a tap on the shoulder the other day from a guy I used to talk too. Still didn't look in fantastic shape, but was dressed to start work as a kitchen hand. So he got the thumbs up from me!

You're full of surprises aren't you? ( thumbs up emoticon, if only I had one)

Guest redwhiteblack

ðŸ‘ðŸ»

Wait, is having the white thumbs up racist? Lack of tolerance?

You can leave club pol but club pol never leaves you.

Edited by redwhiteblack
  • 1 month later...

FCB,

Yes, I loved it. Initially I thought it was a superficial article about which was better, CBT or Psychoanalysis, an argument I hate with a passion. I myself am a pragmatist and I match my therapy to the individual sitting in front of me (although admittedly, I will never be a psychoanalyst!) I will try, if I can, to be and to do what they need, even if we fumble around at times. In the end after 20+ years of my work, I find that people are individuals and the relationship they have with their therapist is paramount in finding the method that will work for them.

There are many therapies and CBT and Psychoanalysis have always been pitted against each other. Quite frankly, used by the wrong person they are both shite. Used by a person who is warm, insightful and respectful, they are both wonderful tools to make a persons life better.

Thanks...Yes, I loved it.

Guest BlackSpy

"If you have no confidence in self, you are twice defeated in the race of life. With confidence, you have won even before you have started."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Needs to be posted in the relationship thread for Unlimited!!