Getting back our Church Street March

I'm all for walking down Church st.

The police can wait on Marsden if they like but I won't be walking down that way to the stadium.

Not trying to stir trouble but Church st is the route I've always taken and always will, I prefer it, it's a nice walk.

The semi final march took nearly half an hour. The constant stop/start don't walk past the leading police car, etc etc. It lost all the fun appeal. Kids/families won't go down that way and if takes that long a lot of ppl will get frustrated and begin to ditch the marsden st march. Then in the end there will be no march.

I love the march but i'm more afraid of it dying as more and more fans will just make alternate routes down towards the stadium rather than being told where they can/can't walk down.

Two questions:

Ian - Is it at all conceivably possible to argue that a march down the centre of Church street is just as safe as a march down Marsden - and to treat it as an event - a celebration?

Problem with last march down Church is that people were on the sidewalk. Not enough room, people weaving in and out, people going other way have issues, and more importantly there was so many people that they spit onto the street - very dangerous.

A controlled march down Church street is a safe viable alternative.

Also does anyone know the cafe wear the cup incident took place?

Get pollies on side, get a petition together from cafe's/restaurant in area and keep on the police, and get media support. A 4 pronged attack.

I am happy to go shop to shop and get them to sign petitions. We can say to them will will post them on the Facebook page in return ie " shop so and so support the Wanderers and we support them" good advertisement for them.

The police can wait on Marsden if they like but I won't be walking down that way to the stadium.

Not trying to stir trouble but Church st is the route I've always taken and always will, I prefer it, it's a nice walk.

Inb4 YouTube video of Matty getting shot with a taser...

I will walk down Church Street myself with the scarf raised above my head if I have to.

But I am a Spartan so would much prefer to have 300 guys following!

Edited by westofcentre

The semi final march took nearly half an hour. The constant stop/start don't walk past the leading police car, etc etc. It lost all the fun appeal.

Its a small point, and it contradicts what I said earlier in the thread, but having thought about it. This^.

**** I hated the semi-final march. It was so stop start, it was impossible to get into a rhythm... The drummers were a bit too far ahead and even at the front it was hard to hear them. Everyone was pushing for position rather than trying to march as one... The mosh was pretty good, but we've had better in the park... It was just not great.... Especially when compared to ones at Central Coast and the like... heck, the march on the way back to the woolie after the game on the street outside the stadium there was more fun... That La Banda jam session was a complete highlight of the season...

I went a bit off-topic but i'm sure my point was in there. 

I will walk down Church Street myself with the scarf raised above my head if I have to.

I WILL JOIN YOU.

The semi final march took nearly half an hour. The constant stop/start don't walk past the leading police car, etc etc. It lost all the fun appeal.

Its a small point, and it contradicts what I said earlier in the thread, but having thought about it. This^.

**** I hated the semi-final march. It was so stop start, it was impossible to get into a rhythm... The drummers were a bit too far ahead and even at the front it was hard to hear them. Everyone was pushing for position rather than trying to march as one... The mosh was pretty good, but we've had better in the park... It was just not great.... Especially when compared to ones at Central Coast and the like... heck, the march on the way back to the woolie after the game on the street outside the stadium there was more fun... That La Banda jam session was a complete highlight of the season...

I agree - over engineered, over structured - took the life out of it. everyone did their best under the circumstances, and should be congratulated but it is what it is.

I WILL JOIN YOU.

That's 2 for the parallel march! Maybe the march from the 2nd pub can get lost and accidentally take the "wrong" route down Church street..... Wait who said that?

I think he'll be more surprised by the fact he had one voter on this forum to begin with.

You aren't old enough to vote or have political opinions.

Incorrect. I'm voting this year. 

I think he'll be more surprised by the fact he had one voter on this forum to begin with.

My bad. Forgive me. I will repay my error with a beer, which you are legally allowed to consume.

My bad. Forgive me. I will repay my error with a beer, which you are legally allowed to consume.

First home game of the season- Woolpack- I'll be expecting you. 

I agree - over engineered, over structured - took the life out of it. everyone did their best under the circumstances, and should be congratulated but it is what it is.

I WILL JOIN YOU.
That's 2 for the parallel march! Maybe the march from the 2nd pub can get lost and accidentally take the "wrong" route down Church street..... Wait who said that?

I'll walk down Church st while being tasered and beaten with batons!

Fight the power!

*I will still be stopping for a take away moccha.

First home game of the season- Woolpack- I'll be expecting you. 

Uhhh.... I've got plans :ninja:

Your choices are Kevin 07 who has reinvented himself as Hasbeen 13, or "let's tow the boats back" Dr No.

Appetising choice isn't it.

There is always the shooters and fishers party who claim to be the ultimate greenies by blowing the brains out of any invasive pest species.

I reckon get all the young families, older fans etc, anyone who's not RBB or male from 15-30 years old and get them to walk down church st before the first match. Not an organised march, but just show the cops and stuff that there's more to the wanderer's than a bunch of hooligans. Obviously many holes with that, but would be cool

I reckon get all the young families, older fans etc, anyone who's not RBB or male from 15-30 years old and get them to walk down church st before the first match. Not an organised march, but just show the cops and stuff that there's more to the wanderer's than a bunch of hooligans. Obviously many holes with that, but would be cool

Everyone not in the march walks down there already anyway

And that's my point Kizza. The police will end up having to monitor both roads and that's their call. It would be easier if everyone was on church at IMO.

This thread has got out of hand with all this bs technicality and smart arse comments.

We need to approach councillors/politicians and present this as a celebration, making the point that we will work with security, and the reason why we ha incident on Church Street (cup gate) was because the march did not go down the centre of Church.

Proper organisation - means safer march, everyone benefits - the fans, security, and Parra business.

Get a petition, draw up a letter and approach relevant people. Surely politicians and parra business can sway the police.

what we could do is when we leave the woolpack at the start of the march and the police guide up marsden street everyone can say at the same time "we're going to subway" and walk up church, get to subway and say "aww, its packed, i'm going to mcdonalds" then keep on marching up church street.

would they fall for that?

Only if it's said in perfect unison.

That's been the main problem for us all season. Everybody was pushing to be at the front, not giving the drummers the space that we need then everybody runs ahead and the band falls behind. The march for us (La Banda) on Marsden St was perfect (ignoring the stopping and starting by the police), because we had the space and we were leading the march up front. It gets too messy and chaotic if we walk within the crowd cause then we get out of touch and lose the rhythm since everybody has run off with their own. 

So it's up to everybody to give respect and space to the band letting us run the march rather than everybody running ahead trying to get to the front.

That's been the main problem for us all season. Everybody was pushing to be at the front, not giving the drummers the space that we need then everybody runs ahead and the band falls behind. The march for us (La Banda) on Marsden St was perfect (ignoring the stopping and starting by the police), because we had the space and we were leading the march up front. It gets too messy and chaotic if we walk within the crowd cause then we get out of touch and lose the rhythm since everybody has run off with their own. 

So it's up to everybody to give respect and space to the band letting us run the march rather than everybody running ahead trying to get to the front.

But then i wont be able to tweet and use facebook saying im leading the march? .. this is sarcasm by the way before i get labelled a flog.. again