The Inner West Wanderers Hipster Thread

Yeah, tbh I hardly go to pubs on non WSW occasions anymore, so I guess I was just harking back to my youth when the Townie was my weekly home away from home.

I agree about the clientele but at least compared to the others, it still retains some of its rustic charm (#sarcasm). You're more likely to hear a Black Sabbath tune on the jukebox there than most other places. Still two pool tables right in the middle, and enough tvs to show the football.

I can more or less bookend my life from my uni days till now with the Townie. One of those places where no matter where you are...the table in the corner out the back, the balcony upstairs, the couch at the front...you can think back to a lot of memories from that spot and how much your life has changed.

I probably look for different things in pubs now than I did back in the day.

Henson is good to take kids to due to the play area as is the petersham public

That wasn't really on my list of criteria back in the day

So 5 inner west pubs from back in the day (most of which aren't the same now) in order of importance

The Annandale - pretty much all my favourite gigs were there

Townie (obvious reasons, it's probably the only pub that hasn't really changed) was always the end of night

Duck and Swan Chippendale (way before it bacame trendy)

Sandringham

Courthouae or maybe he Carlisle castle (the secret pub)

As for you Lloydy

Do I have to play my Richmond High westie credibility card again? :)

The Annandale - pretty much all my favourite gigs were there

Such a shame what has happened to The Annandale and so many other great music venues/pubs. I, too, saw so many excellent gigs there.

They sponsored my football team for a couple of seasons, we used to go drinking there in beer garden after the game then end up seeing the gigs sometimes still in footy gear.

Duck and swan was my local at one point. Moved away when they were renovating and haven't been back since. If I had to entertain a certain crowd sometimes I'd sit with them in the back corner of the far trendier rose and nip across the alley to the duck for my own drinks :lol:

Carlisle, the front bar there was good, classic. I had a mate who propped it up most days for a while.

Other notable inner west pubs of yore

Student prince (turned into a brothel)

Lansdowne (? Is there still a pub there or what is it?)

Iron duke (did I read it was a pub again?)

Glenroy (down from the iron duke, a real boozer, long gone I think)

Warren view when it was dodgy as ****, always empty, very different now

Oxford, opposite the townie, became the Zanzibar and lost its punk rock jukebox

Botany view and the Sydney park (these haven't changed at least hadn't a year or two ago)

Abercrombie (long gone)

Town and country (gone)

Oxford tavern :lol:

White cocky with those massive schnitzels, more recently (done up - someone told me the schnitzel guy is in marrickville now?)

Sigh

What a world where they disappear, but what a time to be a young adult :lol:

You are right that the chances are less now, priorities different, but when I do have the chance now, such a shame there's no choices like there used to be.

Duck and swan was my local at one point. Moved away when they were renovating and haven't been back since. If I had to entertain a certain crowd sometimes I'd sit with them in the back corner of the far trendier rose and nip across the alley to the duck for my own drinks :lol:

Carlisle, the front bar there was good, classic. I had a mate who propped it up most days for a while.

Other notable inner west pubs of yore

Student prince (turned into a brothel)

Lansdowne (? Is there still a pub there or what is it?)

Iron duke (did I read it was a pub again?)

Glenroy (down from the iron duke, a real boozer, long gone I think)

Warren view when it was dodgy as ****, always empty, very different now

Oxford, opposite the townie, became the Zanzibar and lost its punk rock jukebox

Botany view and the Sydney park (these haven't changed at least hadn't a year or two ago)

Abercrombie (long gone)

Town and country (gone)

Oxford tavern :lol:

White cocky with those massive schnitzels, more recently (done up - someone told me the schnitzel guy is in marrickville now?)

Sigh

What a world where they disappear, but what a time to be a young adult :lol:

You are right that the chances are less now, priorities different, but when I do have the chance now, such a shame there's no choices like there used to be.

I feel a bit sorry for kids now, I had a great time in those uni / post uni share house years. I could tick most of those pubs off the list.

Rent is too high these days for kids to live in those areas and the whole vibe has changed.

Can't believe I missed Lansdowne off the list

Pretty sure it's still a pub and hasn't gone up market but been years since I have been there.

The oxford tavern (petersham) is a hipster bar now, fixed gear bikes all over place. Due to it being outside of the NSW fun police lockout laws it gets a stream of people from city going there late too

The oxford in newtown takes me back.

Warren view was another former sponsor of the team

The Lansdowne was sold and is no longer a pub.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-08-04/iconic-lansdowne-latest-sydney-hotel-to-close-down/6672000

I've never lived in the Inner West but have many friends that do, so have frequented many of the pubs mentioned. Used to like The Abercrombie and The Lansdowne because they were old school, dingey pubs. It's all too gentrified (and expensive) nowadays.

A few more up Harris street which I remembered thinking about different couches/beds I slept in :lol:

Pyrmont bridge (knew the bar girl, free beer)

Bristol arms (I think? Gone, anyway)

Glasgow arms (I think... still there, but done up from before)

Us Inner West hipsters only buy things on eBay or from op shops.

Vinyl records only for hipsters

I actually like vinyl tbh. A bit before my time, but I remember growing up as a kid in the 80's and my cousin had all these vinyl records from Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple. They have a nice look about them.

At that stage I was using TDK cassettes and recording Def Leppard's 'Hysteria' of my friend who bought the original cassette :cheeky:

I actually like vinyl tbh. A bit before my time, but I remember growing up as a kid in the 80's and my cousin had all these vinyl records from Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple. They have a nice look about them.

At that stage I was using TDK cassettes and recording Def Leppard's 'Hysteria' of my friend who bought the original cassette :cheeky:

If you still had a cassette Walkman and a hysteria singlet that you could wear ironically that would be well hipster

If you still had a cassette Walkman and a hysteria singlet that you could wear ironically that would be well hipster

No, threw out all my cassettes yonks ago as I don't like them. But I do have a Hysteria t-shirt which I occasionally wear :)