Music Thread 3

mack

My papa introduced me to Simon and Garfunkel when I was about 5/6 I’m now 21 and so much has changed and I now introduce him to this cover of our favourite over a whiskey 🥃 😊legendary 💜

2degucitas 1 year ago

Thank you Mumford and sons for bringing this ageless song to a new generation.

Have there ever been more poetic and powerful lyrics in a popular song?

26 minutes ago, wendybr said:

Have there ever been more poetic and powerful lyrics in a popular song?

There possibly has, but I get your drift. I love that song but reading those lyrics just makes me very sad.

Edited by Wanderboy
8 minutes ago, Wanderboy said:

There possibly has, but I get your drift. I love that song but reading those lyrics just makes me very sad.

Hello WB!

Yes...it's undeniably a very sad song. Sorry! :grouphug:

Maybe there are lyrics just as good (eg Starry Starry Night) - but these are perfection, so there'd be none any better I don't think.

I'd better go find something more cheerful.  :)

PS It'll need a banjo tho! :lol:

For WB...

I know you like Yes (we're prob the only 2 here who do :D) - so maybe this song that soars, has positive lyrics and Jon Anderson singing will suffice to counterbalance "The Boxer"?

BTW... I thought of you a few weeks back watching Hard Quiz.

A rather eccentric women had Yes as her speciality subject! And Tom Gleeson ALSO said he LOVED Yes!!

The woman contestant was hopeless...and was the first off the show, but it was great to see 2 people who loved Yes!  :D

8 minutes ago, wendybr said:

For WB...

I know you like Yes (we're prob the only 2 here who do :D) - so maybe this song that soars, has positive lyrics and Jon Anderson singing will suffice to counterbalance "The Boxer"?

BTW... I thought of you a few weeks back watching Hard Quiz.

A rather eccentric women had Yes as her speciality subject! And Tom Gleeson ALSO said he LOVED Yes!!

The woman contestant was hopeless...and was the first off the show, but it was great to see 2 people who loved Yes!  :D

I don't visit this thread very often Wendy as each page takes ages to download all the linked videos.

Sometimes, I just feel a bit melancholy and head back here, because sometimes, after a tough day or week, when I am feeling down, music gives me a lift. Thankyou. Yes, and also Jon and Vangelis always gives me a lift.

The problem I have is that all the linked videos after the ones I watch takes me back to all my favorites and I can sit here for hours. Currently playing is "House of the Rising Sun". Who knows what will be next? It always links to my previous fav's.

This was next..……

This one will only take you 18 minutes! :lol:...

Oooops not sure why it doubled up there!

Downloading very slowly for me too.

This song demonstrates progressive rock at its best... seriously, what's going to beat this man...😊

Here's a fun fact about the beginning of CTE (at the 1:14 mark where Steve starts his solo): Rick Wakeman is playing the exact same riff as is Chris Squire, except twice as fast.  It's that tinkly sound in the background.  If you slow the track down you can hear it.  At the 2:00 mark, Steve also plays the riff.  It's based out of the D Harmonic Minor scale.  When I first heard it at age 14 back in the 70's, it just sounded like noise to me, but the coolest noise I had ever heard!!!!!   I've been playing guitar since the 70's and, although many great bands and amazing guitarists have come on the scene since then, none of them touch me like Yes still does.  It will be a long time, if ever, that a band like Yes appears to give us hope of greater, more transcendent realities.
My Grandma saw this band in concert. She also saw Led Zeppelin. She also has a very jealous grandson.

This entire musical collection is an ear hole masterpiece.....  At 63 years old, all I can say is seasons will pass you by, I get up, I get down, I get up, I get down, I get up, I get down...

But of course, these guys went one better for recording in a stadium...

When I would road trip with my daughter, we had a listening agreement. I would let her play whatever she wanted and then I would get to play one of my cds. OMG. I got blasted with Lady Gaga, Rhianna, Avril Levigne, Asking Alexandria, and the Black Veil Brides. I would play what I consider essentials and my sole purpose was to expose her to the great music that came before her. Lots of Pink Floyd, Bowie, Beatles, Zappa, UFO, Van Halen. One trip I put on Echoes. About halfway through she said " this is really good. I like this. " I think I may have teared up. She wanted more Pink FLoyd. So I broke out Dark Side, Wish you were here, The Wall, and more. SHe was hooked. SHe has gone away to college now. I spoke to her on the phone a while ago and I was so damn proud of her when I heard her listening to Animals on the phone. She is well rounded musically and I couldn't be happier.

Pink Floyd conquered millions of Iranian hearts since the 60s to present. David Gilmour, Roger Waters, Richard Wright (RIP) and Nick Mason + Syd Barrett (RIP) were our idols in my childhood and teenage years in Tehran, Iran. I grew up with them and they made an incredible impact on my soul and education ever since in different parts of the world as a world citizen. Thanks ...Much <3 forever

Wendy I hope you don't mind what I'm about to say. I used to work with an English teacher of an older generation than mine; you know how you categorise people in certain odd ways, well, she belongs in the same bucket as yourself, in my head, for various reasons. A very nice lady! Anyway, she saw Jethro Tull on their first tour of Australia, back in 1972, and has always loved them (and Yes, too, for that matter). So a few years ago Jethro Tull toured, and her kids bought her the top notch tickets, complete with backstage passes. After the show she's backstage and gets to meet Ian Anderson. She tells him, "I saw you in 1972!". He grabs her hands, gives her a smile and says, "Darling, you haven't changed a bit." :lol:

6 minutes ago, marron said:

Wendy I hope you don't mind what I'm about to say. I used to work with an English teacher of an older generation than mine; you know how you categorise people in certain odd ways, well, she belongs in the same bucket as yourself, in my head, for various reasons. A very nice lady! Anyway, she saw Jethro Tull on their first tour of Australia, back in 1972, and has always loved them (and Yes, too, for that matter). So a few years ago Jethro Tull toured, and her kids bought her the top notch tickets, complete with backstage passes. After the show she's backstage and gets to meet Ian Anderson. She tells him, "I saw you in 1972!". He grabs her hands, gives her a smile and says, "Darling, you haven't changed a bit." :lol:

:good: Good story! 

:lol:

46 minutes ago, marron said:

I think that pompeii stuff is what I turned on a couple of weeks ago and thought it was spinal tap. :rolleyes:

Wot!! :shok:

And what do you mean "Pompei stuff"??  :shok:

PS That really did make me laugh! :D

But it's almost unforgivable! :P

:P Oh OK! 

I guess they can manage without your admiration!

I can't think of another band that's more loved...oh well....for as long as we're around!  :lol:

PS Are you just talking about that really early "stuff" - or all of their "stuff"?

Of course they can, and fair play, whatever.

Of course... I don't need them either ;)

With something like this...  it's like, it's my time. In what I have listened to, it's all being taken so seriously, I just... can't cope with it haha.

I'm aware the later stuff isn't quite as... silly, but, eh, there's so much music out there. No need to go plowing through 10 minute dreary/silly/wanky/ostentatious experimentations to find the stuff that I might find a little more appealing. Brick in the wall, sure, great riff... i'm sure there's others I've heard that i don't know the names of that are okay as well. but, overall,  eh.

BTW I am actually currently downloading and listening to 5 albums a day to my computer that I have never listened to before. So it's not like I'm not open to things. I might even listen to a Pink Floyd one.... maybe....

34 minutes ago, marron said:

Of course they can, and fair play, whatever.

Of course... I don't need them either ;)

With something like this...  it's like, it's my time. In what I have listened to, it's all being taken so seriously, I just... can't cope with it haha.

I'm aware the later stuff isn't quite as... silly, but, eh, there's so much music out there. No need to go plowing through 10 minute dreary/silly/wanky/ostentatious experimentations to find the stuff that I might find a little more appealing. Brick in the wall, sure, great riff... i'm sure there's others I've heard that i don't know the names of that are okay as well. but, overall,  eh.

BTW I am actually currently downloading and listening to 5 albums a day to my computer that I have never listened to before. So it's not like I'm not open to things. I might even listen to a Pink Floyd one.... maybe....

Hehehe...I wasn't serious - mine was only mock outrage. :D

I can see why the Heart of the Sun stuff is easily mocked...and I can see the similarity with Spinal Tap - but only as long as they keep their mouths shut!

I've gone all music tonight, and I can't help listening tonight to the band that was one of my favorites when I was a wee lad in the early 70's. 

I know I have posted other vids tonight of theirs, but ELP were such a progressive rock band with such amazing versatility in the 70's.

For Keith Emerson, as a rock musician to have written such beautiful yet diverse classical compositions such as these three pieces of music, just astounded me as a teenager.

It might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I implore you to consider listening to it, particularly part 1 of the 3. Granted there are parts of this piece that are messy, but there are also sections that are just beautiful. Part 2 is just sublime, and Part 3 is dramatic.

Part 1. 0.00 -   9.19 - This piece has different variations of what could be called classical, Such beautiful short pieces of different tunes.

Part 2. 9.20 - 11.24. - A very passive piece lasting 2 minutes.

Part 3. - 11.25 - 18.27 - Quite an aggressive piece of classical music.

I was listening to this stuff in the 70's. I was also listening to Elton John, ACDC, Chicago, Rick Wakeman, Neil Young, ABBA, and multitudes upon multitudes of other music. Even the Carpenters. And Bread. Stevie Wonder. The Doobie Brothers. The Hollies. The Beatles were still going (just). And Stevie Wright and Russell Morris and Brian Cadd. My music tastes were so diverse. Jethro Tull and The Moody Blues, and yes, Yes! Boney M even, who young Wanderboy said today what great songs they had! I didn't even know he knew who they were!

Crosby Stills Nash and Young, The Angels, Split Enz and Dragon..... the list goes on.

But it was bands like ELP and Yes that expanded my musical knowledge into the classics. When I travelled to Europe in the early 90's, I was beholden by the history of classical music, hence my fascination.

Anyway, here is some modern day classical music composed by a rock musician.

Edited by Wanderboy
23 hours ago, Wanderboy said:

My brother put me onto this last week.

I might be behind the times but I'd never seen this and didn't actually realize Jimmy Fallon was this talented.....nor really even knew who he was tbh besides being a talk show host. He's quite the talent.

That was amazing Wanderboy. I love neil young