Local Current Affairs Thread

wendybr

All jokes aside its scary. At first it looked like incompetence from the Barillaro party with the amatuer way they were handling things. But now with stalking and harrasment they have to Jordan and this now on Kristo (the gatekeeper) whose only 21 years old and studying and hasn't done anything wrong for Barillaro to send a counter terror squad is really alarming. 

Its stinks of a powerplay of a corrupt man using taxpayers money and a special squad not being used for the purposes it is intended. I can't help but match this story with Wanderers fans that have been banned with no reason put forward. The difference of course if Jordies has massive Social media presence so we can see everything that is happening.

Yeah nah.

Whatever this youtuber did isnt the point.

If you think someone defames you you don't get to call the counter terrorism police and tell them to sic. 

Pollies should never be using their power for themselves. That's messed up. Send a personal lawyer. Raise a complaint like anyone else. You dont get to use the state like your private fiefdom.

I also dont know for certain but would be willing to bet Barillaro professes to love free speech and hate cancel culture. 

All of which makes him a hypocritical grub. 

14 hours ago, Bones said:

Sounds like he picked a fight and is now crying cause he's got a bloody nose.

He went too far especially with the racist crap he spewed.

You reap what you sow. 

Yea the issue is that he sent Counter Terrorist Squad to a youtuber's producer home. It wasn't even Jordan Shanks it was his producer.

That is GROSS use of power and needs to be called out because all of a sudden we normalise these things to the point that you can't talk back to anyone. There are even question marks on the defamation as the Jordies hasn't been officially served since the defamation case was filed a month ago. Filing the case and serving are not the same thing.

And technically the producer Kristo who was arrested hasn't done anything wrong either. The two incidents in question are on par to anything a Current affair or the Chaser have previosuly done and don't look like stalking at all. When you have the sexual assault incidents happening in parliament but a pollie is willing to call a counter terrorist squad on youtube because they disagree with him something is REALLY wrong.

Stinks of deputy premier willing to flex his power and state resources on personal vendetta's.

Shame you weren't around 5-6 years ago, Bones (edited my typo there). You'd have had a number of like minded forumites as allies here, as well as a lot more robust debate to engage with.

Has Bruce Pascoe just got carried away with this?

PS I haven't read it.

Find me the working academics who have been pushing this anywhere.

FInd me the schools with this on the shelves that have been teaching it as fact.

In that article you've got quotes from historians saying it shouldn't be, inferring it is - but I really strongly doubt that that's happening anywhere.

"Damn lefties messing with kids minds" style propaganda of the "the school made my son wear a dress to make him transgender" sort.

Whoever wrote that beat up is more full of ****.

The biggest piece of evidence provided is the academic saying their friends suggested they read it. 

They have confused being in a library with "curriculum", which, holy ****. 

Bullshit like this fans flames based on zero evidence. 

9 hours ago, Bones said:

I was here 5-6 years ago Wendy. 

The forum was good then.

Sorry...yes you were.

But you weren't very active here.

I agree, those were lively and engaging debates back then.

And debating is healthy.

Everything (here and in the wider world) has got even more polarised since then, with less engagement between people with differing perspectives.

That's frightening to me. 

On 16/06/2021 at 5:58 PM, Bones said:

Sounds like he picked a fight and is now crying cause he's got a bloody nose.

He went too far especially with the racist crap he spewed.

You reap what you sow. 

It's a shame he uses his enjoyment of mimickry (which is basically what he started out with in his comedy/satire- silly voices, wigs and costumes etc) as part of his attacks on Barillaro. That muddies the water somewhat...and he does go too far in quite a bit of what he does imho.

I 100% approve of his going after Barillaro, though, and hope it shines more of a light on his dodgy dealings.

Misuse of his political position in calling in this police unit has raised eyebrows, as it should.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/jun/18/friendlyjordies-arrest-by-nsw-police-fixated-persons-unit-questioned-by-former-top-prosecutor

10 hours ago, wendybr said:

Shame you weren't around 5-6 years ago, Jones. You'd have had a number of like minded forumites as allies here, as well as a lot more robust debate to engage with.

Has Bruce Pascoe just got carried away with this?

PS I haven't read it.

Firstly, I think your "Jones" is quite funny and somewhat appropriate, intended or not.

Regarding Dark Emu (which I have read) the following is from an Article in the SMH  thurs this week from Ben Wilkie who is a Historian and Honorary associate at the La Trobe University  Centre for the Study of the Inland.

There is disparate evidence of cultivation, domestication, sowing, storage, surpluses, trade and settlements. The nature of some of these observations and materials continues to be debated, but it’s not disputed that Aboriginal Australians managed their landscape ingeniously and engaged in highly effective food intensification practices. The problem is that extrapolating various practices to the entire continent goes against the very localised nature of Aboriginal ecological knowledge and practice.

Yeah I haven't read it but that is an important thing.

I reckon that 

a) his claims will have been overstated by parts of the media

b) the criticisms by historians have been overstated by parts of the media (they have clearly been at pains to stress the line that you just did)

and

c) certain parts of the media have just made **** up about the book being used in schools.

52 minutes ago, Ossified said:

Firstly, I think your "Jones" is quite funny and somewhat appropriate, intended or not.

Totally unintended, dammit!

Too many rapid-fire posts here over the past few years have made me very sloppy with proof reading. 

PS I wouldn't ever do name calling.

:):)

Some interesting stats here, e.g. attitudes towards having children.

Wonder if more conservative women would shun an ABC survey, which might skew the results away from more conservative/traditional views?

From relationships to home ownership, young women are imagining a different future
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-19/women-are-changing-their-minds-on-home-ownership-marriage/100225976

1 hour ago, Carns said:

What I took out of Dark Emu was changing the perception that Indigenous people were purely hunter gatherers and actually had sophisticated practices to manage the land and local environment, honed over centuries.

What crops, or animals, could indigenous Australians have actually cultivated on a mass scale...to have led to larger, more permanent settlements anyway?

20 year old guy doesn't want kids? Shock! :lol:

It's been around for a while. I certainly have sympathy for it, or understand the logic to a degree anyway. Some types like that are pretty insufferable though in my experience. Not in the proselytizing sense but in the complaining about how society doesn't value their choice not to have kids sense. Cry me a ****en river in your DINK house or on your European cruise. I made my choice and dont complain! You do the same. But those types tend to be at the less philosophical end anyway.

Just now, marron said:

20 year old guy doesn't want kids? Shock! :lol:

It's been around for a while. I certainly have sympathy for it, or understand the logic to a degree anyway. Some types like that are pretty insufferable though in my experience. Not in the proselytizing sense but in the complaining about how society doesn't value their choice not to have kids sense. Cry me a ****en river in your DINK house or on your European cruise. I made my choice and dont complain! You do the same. But those types tend to be at the less philosophical end anyway.

Nah, he's not at all objectionable about it.

But from the survey (in the article I posted), what was surprising is the high number of women who don't see having kids as making life more fulfilling...compared to men who feel that way!

2 hours ago, wendybr said:

What crops, or animals, could indigenous Australians have actually cultivated on a mass scale...to have led to larger, more permanent settlements anyway?

Yams was a big one, they also set up quasi nets for fishing. Plus grain stores. The book is genuinely worth reading, even with a degree of scepticism.

3 hours ago, wendybr said:

Nah, he's not at all objectionable about it.

But from the survey (in the article I posted), what was surprising is the high number of women who don't see having kids as making life more fulfilling...compared to men who feel that way!

Ah man, more gender clickbait, every week there is a new gender survey and I think rarely do they capture the reality of the real world. Last week I think on the ABC or some other media outlet it was a survey saying men are more prone to making extreme reactions or decisions, either being too cautious or too..well extreme the other way I guess lol The outcome of that was there was positives, but generally negative as women could be more relied on to make a measured and appropriate response. Rinse and repeat every week.

Regarding men being more pro having children. They tell us there is a population decline that will cause major issues in the decades to come in relation to an aging population and the care that will need. But then there are people who say a declining birth rate is no big deal, too many people anyway. I think the government would prefer to lift the birth rate.

Men I think are turning away from marriage and kids as much if not more than women. I think the ABC survey is just a spin to get more men back in to this area and considering it. I really don't believe men are any more interested than women.

These surveys are just to get women chatting, love nothing more that the old gender debates to get something fired up ehhh..including using it for WSF lol No substance...never is.

Edited by Smoggy
11 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Ah man, more gender clickbait, every week there is a new gender survey and I think rarely do they capture the reality of the real world. Last week I think on the ABC or some other media outlet it was a survey saying men are more prone to making extreme reactions or decisions, either being too cautious or too..well extreme the other way I guess lol The outcome of that was there was positives, but generally negative as women could be more relied on to make a measured and appropriate response. Rinse and repeat every week.

Regarding men being more pro having children. They tell us there is a population decline that will cause major issues in the decades to come in relation to an aging population and the care that will need. But then there are people who say a declining birth rate is no big deal, too many people anyway. I think the government would prefer to lift the birth rate.

Men I think are turning away from marriage and kids as much if not more than women. I think the ABC survey is just a spin to get more men back in to this area and considering it. I really don't believe men are any more interested than women.

These surveys are just to get women chatting, love nothing more that the old gender debates to get something fired up ehhh..including using it for WSF lol No substance...never is.

You can't be an ABC viewer, Smoggy.

If you were, you'd know this is just part of their survey of 60,000?? people...asking 600 questions etc. It's advertised frequently on Channel 2, at least.

It wasn't just about gender issues, but that article today focused on attitudes towards things like marriage and having kids.

I dare say there'll be plenty of similar articles, releasing survey results focussing on some of those 600 other questions! Lol.

And they'll break down the results into generational perspectives, and gender perspectives....because they can.

I guess.

1 hour ago, Smoggy said:

Very broad brushstrokes about "the reality of the real world" as I understand it.

Once a baby is born it ends up in camp blue or camp pink. Those in blue are told that boys don't cry, are shamed and ridiculed when they do, labelled as cry babies, and taught that tears are a sign of weakness. The capacity to feel and express emotions is driven underground, and the result are adult men who lack emotional intelligence. It's these emotionally stunted human beings who are then running the world, and are complaining when women's experience of the world is very different.

In contrast, women learn that tears are a mood regulator, and they can use crying/shedding tears to regulate themselves. That's why women have the capacity to make more measured and appropriate decisions/comments/evaluations etc. And because they are more aware of what is going on when it comes to emotion, it becomes understandable when they complain about their husbands/male family members/colleagues/politicians etc to be emotional retards.

This is infant research 101, and it is ignored by a male dominated culture which is yet to crawl out of the stone age caves.

• mack changed the title to Local Current Affairs Thread
  • mack locked this topic