ACL & AFC Cup 2023/24

17 hours ago, Paul01 said:

Heartle$$ played a J2 club who won the Emperor's Cup. Looks like J2 is definitely a step above A-League Men.

The CFG supporters were cranky with Vidosic not trying to win the game. 

Rado Vidosic is proving to be an absolute fraud of a coach. Won't be long until CFG run out of patience with him

43 minutes ago, pseudonym said:

do we know how many points are needed to hold our current co-efficient?

If the three ALeague teams made it out of the group stage, would that suffice?

Not really, I think I remembered both Melbourne Victory and Smurfs made it out of their group stages in the 2020 ACL but our co-efficient dropped significantly

48 minutes ago, pseudonym said:

do we know how many points are needed to hold our current co-efficient?

If the three ALeague teams made it out of the group stage, would that suffice?

The rankings are here.

One of the problems is the year we won the comp is about to drop off the calculation. They scale down the scores the older they get, but even though we won it so long ago and it's scaled down by 70% that year still makes up 15% of our total.

If I move all the scores down one year to rescale them then we'd need to get 9.12 points this year to maintain our current total. The last time we got a score that high was 2016.

1 minute ago, Davo said:

The rankings are here.

One of the problems is the year we won the comp is about to drop off the calculation. They scale down the scores the older they get, but even though we won it so long ago and it's scaled down by 70% that year still makes up 15% of our total.

If I move all the scores down one year to rescale them then we'd need to get 9.12 points this year to maintain our current total. The last time we got a score that high was 2016.

well ...

I think I recall on the global game - asian game segment Paul Williams did mention Australia stands to lose  spots in Asia. So I think it would end up being a play off spot for Champions league and 1 spot in AFC cup. I think don't quote me its been too long since that news came up  and no one has talked about it since.

17 minutes ago, Sithslayer1991 said:

I think I recall on the global game - asian game segment Paul Williams did mention Australia stands to lose  spots in Asia. So I think it would end up being a play off spot for Champions league and 1 spot in AFC cup. I think don't quote me its been too long since that news came up  and no one has talked about it since.

The other thing to keep in mind is the restructuring of the AFC club competitions

Champions League - change to 24 teams

AFC Cup - change to 32 teams

Third tier - ??

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, mack said:

3-1. Mariners get away with two offsides in the build up with no VAR.

Makes up for the onside goal ruled offside.

At match it's throwing it down and has wind gusts 

Second half we will run with the win

Co efficient 4 Asia 1.

At least the goals are happening unlike last time. Mariners just as dominant as they were in Malaysia. I have seen enough to suggest both Macarthur and Mariners should be getting to the final for the South East Asia zone comfortably so long as they dont self destruct.

6 minutes ago, Unlimited said:

That’s shocking

I guess that’s what happens when our coefficient drops that badly but surely fingers need to point to the AFC if their fancy coefficient thought this was going to be a competition of closely matched teams

Well they revamping it. 

There will be Champions league with 24 teams and Champions league 2 with 32 teams. In this new setup we only have 2 positions in the current ranking. 1 in champions league and 1 in Champions league 2.

We need more information about it.

Australia will get one ACL group stage slot for the league winner + 1 ACL2 (which is renamed AFC cup) group stage slot for the Australia cup.

We're not going to change that to get to 2+1 any time soon. There's a chance we drop below Vietnam the next set of rankings, which would change it to being no ACL, just a 1+1 in the ACL 2.

City saved from 1-1 by a VAR offside.

And it's 2-0 almost immediately. Max Caputo with a header after monstering the left fullback.

And now a pen up the other end, a silly hand to the shoulder, the Zhejiang striker goes down like he was shot but it's probably a foul regardless.