Film Thread

MP4Eedz

Run Lola Run (Germany) Can't believe I forgot about this one. I watched it countless times in high school.

that's been on my must-watch list for ages

Its a pretty good movie. I really enjoyed it when I watched it in high school. I like how they split it into 3 parts and each scene finishing differently. Pretty trippy but awesome.

Used to regularly go to the German Film Festival and still enjoy catching regular Deutsch efforts on SBS and World Movies. Some favourites include....

Goodbye Lenin

Das Wunder von Bern (The Miracle of Bern)

Der Untergang (Downfall)

Soul Kitchen

Die Welle (The Wave)

Napola

Das Leben der Anderen (The Lives Of Others)

Nirgwendo In Afrika (Nowhere in Africa)

Stalingrad

Das Boot

Sophie Scholl

Der Baader Meinhof Komplex

Verschwende Deine Jugend (Play It Loud)

There are plenty more I could list (not a huge fan of Lola Rennt) and thankfully accessing these films is so very easy nowadays. I've enjoyed some Russian, Czech, Spanish and French films but almost all Asian cinema leaves me cold. Usually if the subject of the film attracts my interest I couldn't give a stuff about the language/nationality of the film actors/producers.

Oh, another great German film (and nicely tied into football) is Manner Wie Wir (Balls):

There are a few other German football films out there, including 'In Andere Liga' (In Another League) about a young female footballer with cancer, and 'Der Ganze Grosse Traum' ('Lessons of a Dream') which is about a teacher in pre-WWI Germany teaching his pupils about the English sport of Football.

Edited by ManfredSchaefer

Son of Babylon - beautiful yet sad story of a Kurdish grandmother and grandson searching for their son/father who'd been imprisoned. Shows a glimpse of life in post saddam Iraq.

Children of Diyarbakir - story of two Kurdish children that details the daily struggles and oppression that Kurds face in turkey.

Both films have been shown on sbs at various times.

Foreign films are wonderful, generally made without the commercial appeal and financial gain, they truly tell stories that otherwise would likely not been seen or heard.

Does anyone have interest in Asian movies?

I am a huge fan of Jackie Chan, loved his police story movies, i enjoyed watching his movie from 2009, shinjuku incident, it was dark but not your typical jackie chan movie, more like triads vs the yakuza.

Loved the movie death note from japan.

Its not all about kung fu fighting.

Sure do, I think my fave Asian genre still has to be the bad-ass cop films from HK, of the Infernal Affairs mould.

Old Boy was good, but violent enough for me to cringe/turn away on certain scenes.

Also quite enjoy some of the Nordic film, very gritty films in general.

Used to regularly go to the German Film Festival and still enjoy catching regular Deutsch efforts on SBS and World Movies. Some favourites include....

Goodbye Lenin

Der Untergang (Downfall)

Soul Kitchen

Die Welle (The Wave)

Napola

Stalingrad

Das Boot

Sophie Scholl

There are plenty more I could list (not a huge fan of Lola Rennt) and thankfully accessing these films is so very easy nowadays. I've enjoyed some Russian, Czech, Spanish and French films but almost all Asian cinema leaves me cold. Usually if the subject of the film attracts my interest I couldn't give a stuff about the language/nationality of the film actors/producers.

Good selection there. I'd also add Sonnenallee to the list...

Goodbye Lenin

Der Untergang (Downfall)

Soul Kitchen

Die Welle (The Wave)

Napola

Stalingrad

Das Boot

Sophie Scholl

Damn...I so want to see Sonnenallee but have never seen it. I forgot to include 'Rosenstrasse' and 'Schwere Jungs' (the former a drama about German women supporting their Jewish husbands during the war, the latter a Bavarian comedy about the German 4 man bobsled team that won gold in Oslo in 1952).

Goodbye Lenin

Der Untergang (Downfall)

Soul Kitchen

Die Welle (The Wave)

Napola

Stalingrad

Das Boot

Sophie Scholl

Damn...I so want to see Sonnenallee but have never seen it. I forgot to include 'Rosenstrasse' and 'Schwere Jungs' (the former a drama about German women supporting their Jewish husbands during the war, the latter a Bavarian comedy about the German 4 man bobsled team that won gold in Oslo in 1952).

Another two great films there. 

I saw Sonnenallee only once, years and years ago, but it has stuck in my mind relentlessly. When Goodbye Lenin came out, I spent most of my first viewing thinking about Sonnenallee, and how good *it* was. 

Other great films that come to mind are the Akira Kurosawa films Seven Samurai, Ran and Kagemusha, as well as the Lone Wolf and Cub movies, and a classic (in my books) Icelandic viking film, Hrafninn Flygur.

• 4 weeks later...

Most have probably already heard of The Intouchables but it was brilliant

Check out 36 as well

I haven't seen Amore yet, however I heard it very good

i am a horror fan(mostly games but movies too sometimes) so anyone a fan of horror here? feel free to talk about it

personally my history with horror was a video game called the suffering on xbox, i dont know how scary it was but at the time it freaked me out a lot, still love that game it was so much fun

watched a few horrorish movies found nothing really good yet, the suffering ties that bind was a good game but nothing like the first game, bioshock scared me a few times but not often.

dead space was the last great horror media i experienced, i loved it from the guy who banged his head against the wall till he died, that game creeped me out more than it scared me but i got a few scares out of it, enjoy the next 2 dead space games but neither scared me

looking at The Evil Within

http://au.ign.com/articles/2013/04/22/the-evil-within-first-look

looking really exciting as a horror fan, looks like H.P lovecraft created it and i never played a game that is anything like something H.P Lovecraft would create

I ****ing hate horror movies. They scare me so badly. It's not the horror bits that kill me though. It's the anticipation and suspense that drives me mad.

lol i know what you mean i have not seen too many horror movies tbh i do enjoy what i have seen though

the game the evil within an enemy reminds me of the guy in my avatar and most of that stuff is based of H.P Lovecraft which i have not read yet but i should because i love the imagery

i am not a massive fan of blood and gore, i dont mind it but i am more a fan of the tension and suspense and some movies can be pretty scary just by telling a story that is really disturbing but also the environment has a massive impact, i love abandoned asylums and prisons because i know those locations while might not be haunted(cynical about ghosts and such) they have a history, if i am standing in one i could be standing in a place where someone got killed, or even worse tortured, so the entire history of brutality is really interesting to me and that is why i love games based in prisons or asylums and find them extremely interesting to look up and look at pictures of them

feel free to talk about anything related to horror, including interesting places i can look up

thanks will watch 1408

Edited by TheGoatOfDoom

Also Goat, look up "The Tunnel". You should be able to find the whole movie on Youtube. It's an Aussie movie filmed under St James station. It scared the living hell out of me simply because I've spent so much of my life catching city circle trains.

Also Goat, look up "The Tunnel". You should be able to find the whole movie on Youtube. It's an Aussie movie filmed under St James station. It scared the living hell out of me simply because I've spent so much of my life catching city circle trains.

my computer has no audio but i have read about that movie and heard it was a great movie so will watch it once i regain audio, i love the entire concept of horror in general

I absolutely LOVE horror movies.

They never scare me, I find them all hilarious.

I'm no psychologist, but I'd say you use humour as a shield to protect you from the horror. If you stopped for a second and really considered the existence of Boogeymen, then I doubt you'd go to bed smiling, or at all, without adequate precautions.

I absolutely LOVE horror movies.

They never scare me, I find them all hilarious.

I'm no psychologist, but I'd say you use humour as a shield to protect you from the horror. If you stopped for a second and really considered the existence of Boogeymen, then I doubt you'd go to bed smiling, or at all, without adequate precautions.
hahahahaha

horror movies are so stupid and unrealistic :P

that was a ****in brilliant movie. i loved how they made it into a documentary like thing, and i love all the history and stuff in the movie.

as for suspense though, i this time last year i would have said the suspense was awesome, but after the wanderers season with a few loooooonng injury time decisions, meh. 

I've seen a heap of horror movies- there's a lot of drivel out there (as with any genre of movies or music or whatever)

1408 had it's moments- really f$$$s with your head.

The ring (and, particularly Ringu- the original Japanese version) should cause you a few uncomfortable nights sleep. I watched it on a date when I was about 16 or 17- she was laughing her ass off, mostly at me jumping out of my seat. Needless to say- didn't get any :smurfnono:

Try any of the Friday the 13ths, Halloweens or Nightmare on Elm Streets..... simultaneously hilarious(ly bad) and scary. The originals are classics.