What Really Grinds My Gears 5

Now.....speaking of humour on another thread....well, a few of us were...

This ABC show is unbearable!!

I nodded off after the News last night, and woke up to find this on.

Within 30 seconds, I decided it was dreadful.

And then I figured it was SO dreadful that I'd stick around to see if one single thing would make me even smile. I think I may have fleetingly smiled at one point - but oh dear!!

Sure - I could see what it was attempting...

But it was diabolical, I thought.

https://iview.abc.net.au/show/get-krack-n/series/2/video/CO1715V001S00

8 minutes ago, Carns said:

Probably one of the best satires on Australian TV.

As subtle as a sledgehammer though.

And those voices!!

So...you watch it?

I noticed as I was posting the clip that it is Ep 1 of Season 2....so I guess some must like it.

PS I hated Cath and Kim...so maybe there's something wrong with my assessment of Aussie "satire" (although I love "Mad as Hell"). 

Yeah, the satire seems obvious as well from what i've seen in this one and in the cooking one. Personally, a satire of breakfast/lowest common denominator news entertainment would be welcome, but i'd much prefer one in the larry sanders vein or the frontline vein.

Kath and Kim managed to be a bit more knowing - like, as vacuous as they all were, you could like them all (not Kim maybe :lol: ), much more than in this one, and there were elements of the characters that you could recognise in people that you know and like. They also had Prude and Trude to balance things out. It wasn't my favourite show by any means but whatever bugs me about this lot, i didn't get anywhere near as much from this show.

8 minutes ago, marron said:

Yeah, the satire seems obvious as well from what i've seen in this one and in the cooking one. Personally, a satire of breakfast/lowest common denominator news entertainment would be welcome, but i'd much prefer one in the larry sanders vein or the frontline vein.

Yes! Frontline was brilliant - and could not be compared to this imho.

Kath and Kim managed to be a bit more knowing - like, as vacuous as they all were, you could like them all (not Kim maybe :lol: ), much more than in this one, and there were elements of the characters that you could recognise in people that you know and like. They also had Prude and Trude to balance things out. It wasn't my favourite show by any means but whatever bugs me about this lot, i didn't get anywhere near as much from this show.

And yes to this - except ….I hardly know the characters, and wouldn't have ever watched a whole show.

I just see this in a different vein to all of those examples. They aren't meant to be endearing. To me it's a satire and a social commentary of much of the worst aspects of Australian culture. They aren't trying to be likeable/relatable, they're trying to be ****s.

@marron did you see any of Black Comedy? I felt it had some similar elements where it was almost bash you over the head rather than sneak up on you.

Either show definitely isn't for everyone, but I think they're pretty good (compared to most of the dross around).

19 minutes ago, Carns said:

I just see this in a different vein to all of those examples. They aren't meant to be endearing. To me it's a satire and a social commentary of much of the worst aspects of Australian culture. They aren't trying to be likeable/relatable, they're trying to be ****s.

@marron did you see any of Black Comedy? I felt it had some similar elements where it was almost bash you over the head rather than sneak up on you.

Either show definitely isn't for everyone, but I think they're pretty good (compared to most of the dross around).

They don't have to be likeable - they have to be recognisable as people tho. The characters in Frontline weren't likeable, but they were very recognisable.

These women were just two screeching voices as far as I could see, whose language was liberally sprinkled with expletives...for the sake of it. Not funny.

The script was terrible - not clever or funny...like Frontline (which was both)

And to me...they weren't even cardboard cutouts of people, or of TV hosts - they were paper cut outs.

Couldn't the women be differentiated? They were humanised for a split second when they said they missed their kids...but I got nothing of them, as even figures of satire - although I knew it WAS meant to be satirical.

Meh...

Maybe it's a demographic thing - I'm not the target audience I don't think.

25 minutes ago, wendybr said:

Maybe it's a demographic thing - I'm not the target audience I don't think.

Accurate.

It's not meant to please everyone. But the fact they're onto their third or fourth series (of either cooking or breakfast TV) satire shows they are doing something right. Most people I know who watch it, love it.

It's not Frontline, it's not Kath and Kim, it's not The Castle.

It's meant to be a lot more jarring (and uncomfortable) than that, and that is a good thing imo.

I hardly watch anything on TV these days - lol.

But I did catch it recently - and yes I did quite like it.

I think I decided, as I've reflected on this subject tonight, that I do like political satire...but the "punching down" stuff doesn't appeal.

PS I detest cooking shows - they can be sent up all you like - and I NEVER watch morning TV - but I'd happily believe it is as inane as was depicted in the Get Crackin program....but to me that show was still just lame. :pardon:

Yeah I recognise it's its own thing. ALso that it's meant to be jarring. Maybe I find the real thing jarring enough, to a self-satirising level, I don't know. I can't quite put my finger on it.

Black Comedy wasn't the funniest thing I'd ever seen, but I thought it was a lot better than most other attempts at Australian sketch comedy (in the last 25-30 years anyway - and of course, the good ones from before are now pretty dated often). Sketch comedy is always hit and miss. Well, most of the time. Some things were laboured, but it was largely all self deprecating, and, hell, I mean, it's sad, but the fact that it was 40 years or more in between drinks for there to be that kind of thing on TV  - indigenous comedy/satire - is kind of sad, so, there was that too.

13 minutes ago, marron said:

well then, i don't understand why you don't want to laugh at the people who do. :p

It. wasn't. clever. or. funny.

It was juvenile. I think I did smile as the "weather event" got worst and worse - so there was visual humour there. But, as I said, the script was puerile.

Besides,  I don't care if everyday people watch morning TV, and it's crap. If they're happy, so be it.

I DO care if politicians and their policies are crap, and big corporations are greedy and corrupt etc - and I'm happy to see them satirised (hopefully cleverly).

28 minutes ago, marron said:

Yeah I recognise it's its own thing. ALso that it's meant to be jarring. Maybe I find the real thing jarring enough, to a self-satirising level, I don't know. I can't quite put my finger on it.

I don't really get what was jarring?

Just the predominance of f- and c- words coming from well groomed women in high heels?? :unknw:

Was that meant to be jarring? It was just juvenile.

This is meant to be jarring and confronting - it's full of the f- word and the v- word...but it's making a point.

It says something meaningful.

Just now, wendybr said:

I know Carns.

I'm asking what is "jarring" about Get Crackin - apart from the swearing? And the voices of the women - lol.

The mindset, the priorities/goals, the attitude, the language used are all jarring (you don't expect those characters to act the way they do).

They are deliberately exploiting behaviour that would not be expected of them, it is made to make you cringe or feel uncomfortable.

11 minutes ago, Carns said:

The mindset, the priorities/goals, the attitude, the language used are all jarring (you don't expect those characters to act the way they do).

They are deliberately exploiting behaviour that would not be expected of them, it is made to make you cringe or feel uncomfortable.

If you say so. :D

I didn't feel anything except disbelief that it was so bad!  :lol:

But I'll go back to where we were a few posts ago...and say I'm glad that some people like it.

Each to his/her own.  :)

40 minutes ago, mack said:

For someone who (apparently) calls himself a leftie, he sends an awful lot of time bashing the left, on inane, minuscule issues that have no real bearing on the actual problems facing the working classes.

He is a leftie - but I guess he is bashing more the radical, Millennial, social media using SJW type of lefties and their perspectives.

I would truly like to think the  working classes still do see the Left as the side that represents their interests and perspectives...and I think it's largely the case here still...but there has been a shift...hasn't there? There was a shift here with Howard's battlers. It hasn't been cut and dried like it used to be for some time now.

And in the US who voted for Trump? In the rust belt states?

Here he is bashing Trump...if that helps. He is SCATHING about Trump.

got suspended on a forum for racial hatred..........was making fun of white trash and there was no hatred just mocking white trash

the only way that could be considered racial hatred is if the person who gave the ban thought all white people were white trash which in itself is racism and they should be banned :P

17 hours ago, wendybr said:

If you say so. :D

I didn't feel anything except disbelief that it was so bad!  :lol:

But I'll go back to where we were a few posts ago...and say I'm glad that some people like it.

Each to his/her own.  :)

People still watch ABC and such like! This is what VPN, Netflix and Stan are for.

In other news...in UK media they were discussing the demise of the British Sitcom...there is no Sitcom scheduled for ITV for the first time ever...greats like Porridge, Fawlty Towers, Only Fools and many more you could list now a thing of the past...

This kind of humour doest fit in this political correct world...the death of humour..another thing to blame feminists for :D

Edited by Smoggy
5 hours ago, Neverbloom said:

got suspended on a forum for racial hatred..........was making fun of white trash and there was no hatred just mocking white trash

the only way that could be considered racial hatred is if the person who gave the ban thought all white people were white trash which in itself is racism and they should be banned :P

which forum

29 minutes ago, mack said:

which forum

the blizzard/overwatch forum pretty much someone wanted a skin with a character wearing an american flag skin and this was my exact post copied and pasted

a white trash skin, do not want

.....a month suspension :P honestly the blizzard forum is very strange i have seem people suspended for slightly sarcastic posts while other people saying some very mean things to others who didnt get into trouble at all, very inconsistent, not really playing or looking up overwatch anymore so it doesnt bother me too much but i thought it wasnt really deserving a month suspension even if i shouldnt have said it :P