International Current Affairs (#BidenIn)

1 minute ago, Neverbloom said:

i am curious since you know a lot about both australian politics and english politics, which is more nuts at the moment? feels like england is a real **** show compared to australia right now

Oh UK is more nuts for sure lol

I did a guided tour of parliament house in Canberra a few months ago. Did you know there is a fossil in a step of a prawn they call 'Shawn the Prawn', I loved that, only in Australia.  :D

2 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Oh UK is more nuts for sure lol

I did a guided tour of parliament house in Canberra a few months ago. Did you know there is a fossil in a step of a prawn they call 'Shawn the Prawn', I loved that, only in Australia.  :D

lol i do love to complain about our politics but i agree with you english politics is far worse right now, i remember adam hills mentioning he would shave his beard once brexit happened.........there has been so many extensions since :P

also that is amusing :P

Just been on the Boro forum and many are saying they can't vote for a Corbyn lead Labour, these are hardcore Labour supporters.

They can't vote Tory and Liberals don't care about them. Farage and his Brexit party are chunts.

They like me feel politically homeless. I am at a loss who to vote for. Do i hold my nose whilst going Labour....perhaps...just dont know.

2 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Just been on the Boro forum and many are saying they can't vote for a Corbyn lead Labour, these are hardcore Labour supporters.

They can't vote Tory and Liberals don't care about them. Farage and his Brexit party are chunts.

They like me feel politically homeless. I am at a loss who to vote for. Do i hold my nose whilst going Labour....perhaps...just dont know.

I can see that sentiment echoed throughout the country. Personally I can't see this election bringing any stability.

2 hours ago, Smoggy said:

2 minutes ago, MartinTyler said:

I can see that sentiment echoed throughout the country. Personally I can't see this election bringing any stability.

I have the feeling that all sides of politics ( here and elsewhere ) actually want disunity and dischord as it serves whatever side they are on. To offer compromise or even a hint of it gets calls and howls of "selling out " or betrayal to the cause. Disheartening to say the least.

13 minutes ago, MartinTyler said:

I wish they had gotten rid of Corbyn, Labour by a landslide with say Kier Starmer as leader.

Instead we have this 1970's relic that wouldn't look out of place on an episode of Citizen Smith shouting 'Power to the people'!

His party is cleary also a breeding ground for antsemitism, as outlined by a Labour Jewish MP resigning from the party a few weeks ago. Corbyn has had to stand up and deny his party is racist..not a good look.

Edited by Smoggy
1 minute ago, Smoggy said:

I wish they had gotten rid of Corbyn, Labour by a landslide with say Kier Starmer as leader.

Instead we have the 1970's relic that wouldn't look out of place on an episode of Citizen Smith shouting 'Power to the people'!

His party is cleary also a breeding ground for antsemitism, as outlined by a Labour Jewish MP resigning from the party a few weeks ago. Corbyn has had to stand up and deny his party is racist..not a good look.

Smoggy, what's your take on Tom Watson.? As an outsider I don't mind him but tbh I havent really done a lot of reading about him. 

6 minutes ago, sonar said:

I have the feeling that all sides of politics ( here and elsewhere ) actually want disunity and dischord as it serves whatever side they are on. To offer compromise or even a hint of it gets calls and howls of "selling out " or betrayal to the cause. Disheartening to say the least.

The thing is..there is a gaping chasm in the middle ground, everyone has run off to the left or right. All Labour had to do was take that middle ground, own it and win the election by a landslide.

Just now, sonar said:

Smoggy, what's your take on Tom Watson.? As an outsider I don't mind him but tbh I havent really done a lot of reading about him. 

Lol he tried to remove Corbyn a year or two back. But the Corbynistas were too strong. He would prefer another leader and i would suspecft back Starmer.

Spot on, I want Labour to win and smash the Tory bastards, but Corbyn HAS to go. They compare him to someone called Bill Hayden who I know nothing about, Corbyn would do well to follow his example though.

Jeremy Corbyn could hand Labour a victory in this general election - if he steps down now

Having moved Labour policy leftwards, Corbyn himself is not an election winner. The greatest gift he can now give his party is to make way for someone else who can throw Boris Johnson off balance

Early in 1983, it looked as if the Australian Labor Party was about to be defeated for the third time in a row. The party’s leader, Bill Hayden, once its youngest MP, was a decent left-winger who had the support of the rank and file membership.

He faced the flamboyant Oxford-educated Malcolm Fraser, a self-publicist, who had the Australian press eating out of the palm of his hand. Hayden’s Labor Party lost a key by-election in December. It was then that the party and Hayden himself decided to act.

On the very day malcolm Fraser called the election Hayden stood down voluntarily in favour of Bob Hawke, who went on to defeat Fraser and install Labor in power for 13 years. Hayden became foreign minister and later Governor General, but his greatest and least selfish act was to realise that he was not the decisive election winner that Labor needed at the time

The moral for the British Labour Party is obvious. Jeremy Corbyn is too easily scorned by the Blairite generation he displaced. He has none of the attributes the centralised mono-voice London media want to see in a Labour leader.

Harold Wilson famously said he had to “wade through ****” to keep Labour together on Europe. Corbyn has sat on the Brexit fence to the point where, as Aneurin Bevan put it in a different context, “the iron has entered his soul.”

There are several positives for Corbyn in an election campaign, or at least they don’t look as bad by comparison with the Tories – but are they enough to get him through the door?

Firstly, Corbyn has got the issue of antisemitism disastrously wrong –but the rank Islamaphobia in the Conservative Party and Boris Johnson’s description of African children as “piccaninnies” or Muslim women as “letter-boxes” is horrid and insulting to Britain’s BAME community.

Secondly, he has moved the dial of British politics. As the Institute of Fiscal Studies has noted, Johnson’s spending pledges are the same as Labour’s economic policy in the 2017 general election. Sincere or not Johnson is spraying around promises on workers’ rights and environmental protection which Corbyn highlighted.

Thirdly, it is unlikely that any future government will repeat the errors of Blair’s intervention in Iraq or Cameron’s support for regime change in Libya and Syria, which produced the tsunami of refugee and migrants in recent years. Corbyn opposed those wars, and has been praised in his consistency.

But having moved policy leftwards, he is not an election winner. Clement Attlee foolishly fought the 1955 election in his early 70s. A younger Labour leader more in tune with a Britain that wanted to forget about the 1940s might have won but Attlee was too vain to let go.

Other Labour leaders like Hugh Gaitskell or John Smith were felled by sudden illness. But this allowed a much more natural election winner to emerge in the shape of Harold Wilson in the 1960s and Tony Blair 30 years later.

Corbyn should realise that the greatest gift he can give is to make way for someone else who can throw Johnson off balance. A fresh face and voice from an Emily Thornberry or Hilary Benn would galvanise Labour and allow progressive Britain to escape from the Brexit trap and the aftermath of austerity.

It is Corbyn’s call. He can make a decision that would usher his party to power and defeat the Trump-esque Brexit neo-liberal project. Will he?

Denis MacShane was a Labour MP for 18 years and worked for eight years at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office as parliamentary private secretary and minister

Obama's comments came to my attention on my way home in the car.

On the ABC Drive program, 4 journalists (2 whose names I don't know, Richard Glover, and Peter Hartcher) were discussing Obama's comments, and Hartcher in particular was agreeing that the millennial left were particularly prone to the behaviour Obama was criticising.

https://www.smh.com.au/world/north-america/obama-advises-woke-young-people-not-to-be-so-judgmental-20191031-p5365g.html

Good to see the 2 JPs aren't alone. :lol:

2 hours ago, wendybr said:

On the ABC Drive program, 4 journalists (2 whose names I don't know, Richard Glover, and Peter Hartcher) were discussing Obama's comments, and Hartcher in particular was agreeing that the millennial left were particularly prone to the behaviour Obama was criticising.

https://www.smh.com.au/world/north-america/obama-advises-woke-young-people-not-to-be-so-judgmental-20191031-p5365g.html

Uummm....Obama was telling young people not to treat social media and "call out " culture like activism. He is saying puritanical judgement is not ok. Absolutely common sense. Jordan Peterson started out saying the same thing in terms of PC culture, but ended up saying feminism is wrong, gender roles are set and young men are hard done by. Bit different. 

1 hour ago, Paul01 said:

Impeachment vote passes US House of Congress along party lines

Trump impeachment probe vote passes without a single Republican vote http://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-11-01/democrats-vote-to-set-ground-rules-for-donald-trump-impeachment/11661074

They want to keep the narrative in the process rather than the content. Public hearings will make the content more vivid but Republicans are hardly going to vote on conscience. 

On 30/10/2019 at 7:50 AM, Smoggy said:

Of course you do and all your boro mates should too. What’s the alternative they vote for Tories and liberals or worse still farage?

It really isn’t a hard choice to make 

On 01/11/2019 at 12:51 PM, Cynth said:

They want to keep the narrative in the process rather than the content. Public hearings will make the content more vivid but Republicans are hardly going to vote on conscience. 

Can’t conscience vote, they don’t have one 

On 31/10/2019 at 8:01 PM, wendybr said:

Miranda Devine with a twitter account 

43 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

Of course you do and all your boro mates should too. What’s the alternative they vote for Tories and liberals or worse still farage?

It really isn’t a hard choice to make 

Yes of course...never voted Tory and never will. Middlesbrough will no doubt return another Labour MP, but have a bad feeling the Brexit Party may poll well.

When it comes down to it as much as i loath Corbyn he IS a better option than Boris. Labour's policy of putting the Brexit vote back to the people would you hope stop Brexit altogether, which would be great obviously.

1 hour ago, wendybr said:

Barack Obama is.... Miranda Devine ....with a Twitter account?? :shok:

:P

You know who I mean..

Shame what he said was quite nuanced, but of course the RW nutjobs have ran with it now

Conservative Fox News host Tomi Lahren said it was good to hear Obama "standing up for our rights and our values of the First Amendment."

Lahren said Obama's comments made some people "remember that we used to think Barack Obama was bad," but in contrast to today's Democratic leaders, "Obama is looking like the voice of reason."

"That's when you know the Democratic Party has gotten this bad," she said.

1 hour ago, Smoggy said:

:spiteful:

1 hour ago, Smoggy said:

Yes of course...never voted Tory and never will. Middlesbrough will no doubt return another Labour MP, but have a bad feeling the Brexit Party may poll well.

When it comes down to it as much as i loath Corbyn he IS a better option than Boris. Labour's policy of putting the Brexit vote back to the people would you hope stop Brexit altogether, which would be great obviously.

The quote I started a post with a few days back, and then didn't finish, was about Corbyn being unelectable, because some of his unrealistic policies.

And I was going to ask whether, if elected with unrealistic policies, would those policies be likely to get up automatically?

How does it work?

19 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

You know who I mean..

Shame what he said was quite nuanced, but of course the RW nutjobs have ran with it now

Conservative Fox News host Tomi Lahren said it was good to hear Obama "standing up for our rights and our values of the First Amendment."

Lahren said Obama's comments made some people "remember that we used to think Barack Obama was bad," but in contrast to today's Democratic leaders, "Obama is looking like the voice of reason."

"That's when you know the Democratic Party has gotten this bad," she said.

It must have got that bad ...for him to have a go at those who would be likely to vote Dem.

He may have been "nuanced" but his message was clear.

He was probably trying to tread carefully and say something critical, without being called a RWNJ...or a Nazi.

;).

• mack changed the title to International Current Affairs (#BidenIn)
  • mack locked this topic