Western Sydney Stadiums and Facilities - Launch

When quissed by myself, the CEO and popa indicated that trial games are likely to be played against NSWPL clubs at various locations within Western Sydney.

This is aweome! I hope they play Marconi & Syd Utd in pre-season trials every year (maybe even for a Cup!). Wld be a great way to build the bridges to the old NSL clubs.

When quissed by myself, the CEO and popa indicated that trial games are likely to be played against NSWPL clubs at various locations within Western Sydney.

This is aweome! I hope they play Marconi & Syd Utd in pre-season trials every year (maybe even for a Cup!). Wld be a great way to build the bridges to the old NSL clubs.

That's a great idea Disco. The West Sydney Cup.

Although maybe each year you mix the teams around so all the West Syd. P/L teams get a match.

They met with representatives of the Premier League clubs, briefly, after the launch and interviews were completed.

Although maybe each year you mix the teams around so all the West Syd. P/L teams get a match.

We should just call it the 'Sydney Cup' but not invite Sydney F.C. :diablo:

Seriously though, a preseason cup is a brilliant idea. Wanderers could play against all the local NSWPL clubs and they could get the word out to all the grassroots clubs in each district. If Wanderers are playing Blacktown for example, then they can smash the promotion for the match with all the BDSFA clubs, especially the juniors (maybe let them in for free). Promotes the Wanderers among the kids, promotes the NSWPL and really cements the pathway between the three.

Maybe just include ex-Nsl in the cup. (Marconi, SU58, olympic etc)

Maybe just include ex-Nsl in the cup. (Marconi, SU58, olympic etc)

You'd have to throw APIA in as well (unfortunately that makes 5)... Western Sydney National Team's Cup.

We should just call it the 'Sydney Cup' but not invite Sydney F.C. :diablo:

Seriously though, a preseason cup is a brilliant idea. Wanderers could play against all the local NSWPL clubs and they could get the word out to all the grassroots clubs in each district. If Wanderers are playing Blacktown for example, then they can smash the promotion for the match with all the BDSFA clubs, especially the juniors (maybe let them in for free). Promotes the Wanderers among the kids, promotes the NSWPL and really cements the pathway between the three.

Could be big if you consider, former NSL clubs… Olympic, Marconi. Sydney United, White Eagles, Blacktown Demons, Penrith, Melta Eagles, Parramatta Power … now add the major state and former state clubs of a reasonable size St Andrews, Bankstown Bumble Bees.. that 12 big clubs [OK 11 as Parra Power have gone] then add the District Football association’s … Nepean, Granville, Southern Districts, Bankstown, Campbelltown and Blacktown..

6 Associations, 11 NSL or large State League clubs, plus two A-League clubs... and we have not counted all the Sydney Associations only the WS ones, imagine if all Associations were invited.

Edited by Midfielder

Could be big if you consider, former NSL clubs… Olympic, Marconi. Sydney United, White Eagles, Blacktown Demons, Penrith, Melta Eagles, Parramatta Power … now add the major state and former state clubs of a reasonable size St Andrews, Bankstown Bumble Bees.. that 12 big clubs [OK 11 as Parra Power have gone] then add the District Football association’s … Nepean, Granville, Southern Districts, Bankstown, Campbelltown and Blacktown..

6 Associations, 11 NSL or large State League clubs, plus two A-League clubs... and we have not counted all the Sydney Associations only the WS ones, imagine if all Associations were invited.

Yeah that's a good point. Don't want to make it too big if it's going to be in the regular season for the PL teams. Maybe they could do it like the big European clubs do their offseasons. Manchester United did a tour of the USA and Chelsea did a tour in Asia. Wanderers could do a Western Sydney tour where they play friendlies against all the teams and districts you mentioned. They could still do the cup comp but play against a small group of clubs, each year playing against a different group.

They better play all games at parramatta! No to ANZ!

Weird they wanna train at the Spartans venue because it's artificial turf.

Jowel, I was talking to a friend who is involved with the Spartans yesterday, and he said that popa had been out and inspected the turf, and then decided against it. My friend was unsure of the reason it was declined and I suggested to him it could be the artificial turf. You'd want to train on the kind of surface you will play on in the A-League, I reckon.

They better play all games at parramatta! No to ANZ!

Weird they wanna train at the Spartans venue because it's artificial turf.

Jowel, I was talking to a friend who is involved with the Spartans yesterday, and he said that popa had been out and inspected the turf, and then decided against it. My friend was unsure of the reason it was declined and I suggested to him it could be the artificial turf. You'd want to train on the kind of surface you will play on in the A-League, I reckon.

Yeah it'd definitely be because of the artificial turf. Only want to be training on that if you're going to be playing on it regularly.

Pignata issues Wanderers challenge

27 June 2012-SBS EXCLUSIVE

Sydney FC audaciously challenged rival Western Sydney Wanderers to play its first 'home' derby of the season at Allianz Stadium to guarantee a bumper crowd.

As the FFA-owned A-League newcomer ruminates on where to stage the 20 October meeting of the working class west and the established order, Sydney CEO Tony Pignata revealed he would be happy to open the gates to Allianz Stadium for what he believes would be a near 40,000 crowd for the week three duel.

Western Sydney has the option to stage the game at the 21,000-capacity Parramatta Stadium or take a more grandiose route by switching to a larger capacity ground.

While Pignata would be surprised if the club's executive chairman Lyall Gorman sacrificed home ground advantage - even though Wanderers would reap a rich reward from gate takings - he told The World Game: "The build-up for the game is going to be amazing and I would like to invite the Wanderers to come here and stage it at Allianz Stadium.

"I'd love for them to come to our home, attract a crowd maybe as high as 40,000, take the gate and be part of a great occasion.

"I'm not sure if they will but I'm sure we would have a superb atmosphere. Why not do a deal with the Sydney Trust and pack in the fans?

"It would great to see the stadium half sky blue and half black, red and white. The opportunity is there for them if they want it.

"People who go to that first derby will continue to come back to the game because it will be enormous. The result won't matter it will all be about the atmosphere and the intensity."

Sydney plays the newcomer for a second time in its scheduled home match on 15 December before another away game against Tony Popovic's team on 23 March.

Pignata, just three weeks into his new role, welcomed the incursion of a second Sydney team.

"It's the rivalry Sydney FC has been waiting for and is excellent for the code as a whole," he said.

"It's been a long time in coming and should really have happened years ago but it's never too late."

The man who was there to spearhead the genesis of Wellington Phoenix knows what it takes to start a club from scratch and has every confidence the west will be won - and not necessarily at the expense of Sydney FC, which has had a seven-year head start on the new-born Wanderers.

"At Phoenix we took the licence in May and the season started in August," he recalled.

"We had Ricky Herbert as coach, not many staff, a smattering of players, no members, no sponsors and I understand what Sydney Wanderers are going through in setting something up with a short time-line and I have spoken to Lyall and congratulated him on the club's launch.

"I like what I see so far but of course they will face challenges. It will be hard to attract fans which have been the case to some extent with Melbourne Heart because these things take time.

"But three of the top A-League crowds last season were the Melbourne Victory-Heart derbies and we would love to duplicate that passion here in Sydney."

Pignata does not believe Sydney's long-time followers - a hard core of supporters which gave the club average crowds of just under 12,000 last season - will jettison the club in favour of the interloper.

"Maybe some might but I don't see that being the case really," he added. "I think the people who will follow them are more likely to be those who love the game but have not made an affinity with Sydney FC and may make an affinity to the Wanderers instead.

"We will still continue our community programs in the west. We don't see it as no-go territory at all. People will make up their own kinds on who they want to follow."

Pignta admits Sydney must return to its flamboyant roots as an A-League entertainer to hold the attention of a fickle public.

"We're in the entertainment industry and winning with some style is what we hope to be about this coming season and our coach Ian Crook is aware of that," he added.

"He understands what it takes. People have so many options in summer and we need to make sure we are a viable option."

Pignata is wary of Wanderers - largely composed of cast-offs from other clubs - being labelled a team of 'rejects'.

With the club likely to field three players released by Sydney FC - Mark Bridge, Shannon Cole and Michael Beauchamp - he added: "I wouldn't call them a team of rejects. I would say they are a team who have players with a point to prove.

"They are quality players and when you have to work within salary caps clubs have to make tough decisions. These are all players who are more than worthy of playing in the A-League.

"Make no mistake the Wanderers will put a good team on the park. They will be competitive and I can definitely see them challenging for a finals place."

http://theworldgame....erers-challenge

lol He's a funny one that Pignata. It needs to be at Parra for the first home derby and nowhere else!

Tarek Elrich told me today at Springwood that, in regards to where the first training session will be held on Monday, the players will be told tomorrow. But Tarek mentioned something about the former GWS Giants base, and artificial turf. By my reckoning he is probably talking about the Blacktown Spartans venue at Blacktown Olympic Park which is artificial turf. I recon that the Spartans venue isn’t likely to be a long term training venue, and that perhaps the longer term plan is for the club to train at the GWS venue (also at Blacktown Olympic Park) once the Giants move the Homebush. This is just my speculation.

Tarek Elrish told me today at Springwood that, in regards to where the first training session will be held on Monday, the players will be told tomorrow. But Tarek mentioned something about the former GWS Giants base, and artificial turf. By my reckoning he is probably talking about the Blacktown Spartans venue at Blacktown Olympic Park which is artificial turf. I recon that the Spartans venue isn’t likely to be a long term training venue, and that perhaps the longer term plan is for the club to train at the GWS venue (also at Blacktown Olympic Park) once the Giants move the Homebush. This is just my speculation.

Jowel speaks from underneath his Sherlock Holmes hat! : )