Liverpool FC Thread

I'm giving Rodgers the benefit of the doubt here, this is his squad now. Let him develop it let them adapt to the league, under Benitez, Dalglish and Hodgson we flirted with relegation. This season we are 10th and Sturridge is injured, let him replace sturridge in the window and then make judgements of his squad

We spent over 125m on dross. Wheres the quality?

Look, I don't really like our signings that Rodgers made, especially when you compare the signings Man Utd made who weren't in the Champs League this year.. He tried to sign last seasons performance English players..

The whole "Liverpool can't sign anyone because they aren't in Champs League" case was thrown out the door with Utd going mental with great signings..

Rodgers made the signings of all these English players hoping they'd have Sturridge up front to help them.. We haven't had him for most of the season, so seriously, I don't know what to think.

I hate that he keeps changing our lineup each game, not giving anyone any continuity and reassurance of their spots, i hate how he keeps playing guys out of position..

I just don't like watching the way we play anymore and I hate to say this.

A few things:

- All Utd proved was that if you've got enough money, players will be happy to forgo champions league as long as the club can afford the salaries. Liverpool is not set up to be able to buy 3-4 world class players and still able to abide by FFP regulations. It would be the equivalent of having 4 suarez's in your team.

- Agree that he tried to buy the best players in the EPL from last season but it's not working for him (Lovren, lallana and lambert) but clearly hasn't worked out for him

- He also attempted to balance between buying good players that could fit into the side straight away and bought players for the future (can, markovic and origi)

- Even if you have Sturridge, it would just paper over the cracks, when your not playing well as a team goals can be a great thing to give BR the time to turn things around.

- I don't know about playing players out of position, but I think he is trying to fit his best players on the park even if it means playing players out of position. The biggest problem is that you had so much pace in your team last year and you used that pace with a lethal striker up front. Now you've replaced them with players that struggle to keep up that same pace as last year and they are different players that can't slot into the same system. Balotelli doesn't work well as a loan striker (best game came against Spurs with Sturridge upfront with him) but he & lambert aren't putting away the goals at the moment too. You guys had enough chances to get at least three if it wasn't de gea in such great form, but in the games you were winning prior to United you weren't creating as many chances but scrapping victories.

- I really like BR, but he really needs to get the team playing decent stuff in order for him to keep his job and get liverpool to finish in the upper half of the table.

I think if he persists with Lambert through the colder months he'll score a packet of goals

Though you really need to sort out someone to provide him service because your problems up front really co exist with your problems in midfield (Gerrard problem and service to your forwards from midfield ie service)

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers dismisses reports of player unrest at the English Premier League club

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers has rejected reports of dressing room unrest after his side's poor start to the season, saying spirits are high for Thursday's (AEDT) League Cup quarter-final at second-tier Bournemouth.

Rodgers led Liverpool to an unexpected runners-up finish in the Premier League last season but a failure to rediscover that form has seen the Reds slip to 11th on the ladder and sustain an early Champions League exit.

A mistake-laden 3-0 defeat at bitter rivals Manchester United on Sunday prompted media reports that Rodgers had lost the confidence of his players.

"I hear one or two bits and pieces about unrest and it is totally untrue," Rodgers said. "Our dressing room is very strong.

"These are competitive players who nearly won the league last year, so they won't be happy with losing. But the actual spirit in the group is very strong.

"That is one of the reasons why, when we get that confidence back, then we will go into the second half of the season and be much better.

"We just need a little bit of luck and a break and I think we will get that. When we get some consistent results we can push on."

Liverpool has 21 points from 16 matches in the Premier League, 18 adrift of leaders Chelsea. The pressure is mounting on Rodgers to get a positive result when Arsenal visit Anfield this weekend.

The Northern Irishman, however, was not looking past the visit to championship side Bournemouth and will not rest players against lower league opponents with a place in the semi-finals at stake.

"This is the first cup competition that you can win, so it was always a priority for me. We wanted to do well in it," Rodgers said.

"At the moment we're only looking at the next game, but that's something that I've always done throughout my time here. The next game is the most important.

"Of course, we've got a big game at the weekend on top of that. But the idea is to go into the game tomorrow night to win and I'll pick the team that I think can win the game."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-12-17/liverpool-manager-brendan-rodgers-dismisses-reports-of-player-u/5972076

I'm giving Rodgers the benefit of the doubt here, this is his squad now. Let him develop it let them adapt to the league, under Benitez, Dalglish and Hodgson we flirted with relegation. This season we are 10th and Sturridge is injured, let him replace sturridge in the window and then make judgements of his squad

We spent over 125m on dross. Wheres the quality?
Look, I don't really like our signings that Rodgers made, especially when you compare the signings Man Utd made who weren't in the Champs League this year.. He tried to sign last seasons performance English players..

The whole "Liverpool can't sign anyone because they aren't in Champs League" case was thrown out the door with Utd going mental with great signings..

Rodgers made the signings of all these English players hoping they'd have Sturridge up front to help them.. We haven't had him for most of the season, so seriously, I don't know what to think.

I hate that he keeps changing our lineup each game, not giving anyone any continuity and reassurance of their spots, i hate how he keeps playing guys out of position..

I just don't like watching the way we play anymore and I hate to say this.

A few things:

- All Utd proved was that if you've got enough money, players will be happy to forgo champions league as long as the club can afford the salaries. Liverpool is not set up to be able to buy 3-4 world class players and still able to abide by FFP regulations. It would be the equivalent of having 4 suarez's in your team.

- Agree that he tried to buy the best players in the EPL from last season but it's not working for him (Lovren, lallana and lambert) but clearly hasn't worked out for him

- He also attempted to balance between buying good players that could fit into the side straight away and bought players for the future (can, markovic and origi)

- Even if you have Sturridge, it would just paper over the cracks, when your not playing well as a team goals can be a great thing to give BR the time to turn things around.

- I don't know about playing players out of position, but I think he is trying to fit his best players on the park even if it means playing players out of position. The biggest problem is that you had so much pace in your team last year and you used that pace with a lethal striker up front. Now you've replaced them with players that struggle to keep up that same pace as last year and they are different players that can't slot into the same system. Balotelli doesn't work well as a loan striker (best game came against Spurs with Sturridge upfront with him) but he & lambert aren't putting away the goals at the moment too. You guys had enough chances to get at least three if it wasn't de gea in such great form, but in the games you were winning prior to United you weren't creating as many chances but scrapping victories.

- I really like BR, but he really needs to get the team playing decent stuff in order for him to keep his job and get liverpool to finish in the upper half of the table.

Mate, you make good points and I agree with most of them, but this is the club I support and love.

We did have the money & wasted it on 50 different players who are just starting to make their mark & need time to show their worth..

We are Liverpool.. When we bought Torres & Suarez that's what got us ahead, got us trophies & our closest ever title (if he wasn't suspended for the start of the season) & they are the type of signings we need for our club.

Not buying Southampton players who did good in a season, it's just like how we signed Carroll from Newcastle, we jump to buy these English players who perform well in 1 season...

We should have spent that money on just a couple of World Class players to slot into the team to provide something that we needed, that's all I'm saying.

Why didn't we get Di Maria, Mata (Seriously I can't get over Chelsea letting him go!!) etc..

• 2 weeks later...

My brother is a Liverpool fan and I'm getting him a Gerrard jersey for his birthday, is the Liverpool club shop the best place to get one?

Are they pretty easy to deal with and how long does it usually take to get one here?

He already has a black/grey Jersey or training top not quite sure which one it is, and a plain red jersey.

Does a Gerrard jersey with champions league patches sound good?

My brother is a Liverpool fan and I'm getting him a Gerrard jersey for his birthday, is the Liverpool club shop the best place to get one?

Are they pretty easy to deal with and how long does it usually take to get one here?

He already has a black/grey Jersey or training top not quite sure which one it is, and a plain red jersey.

He's leaving at the end of the season..

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/30653547

Still a club legend though,

I'd get him a Sterling one but I don't want to get a jersey and then it be gone in a year, he keeps on popping up in real madrid reports

He's been at the club since he was 8. That's 26 years.

Stevie *is* Liverpool. The fact that he's leaving also makes a Gerrard jersey that much classier.

Sad to see Gerrard go.

Great player, great captain, great clubman. He will be twice as good as anyone else in the MLS.

Nice to see he has promised not to go to another EPL club. Class act.

Edited by colhil

He's a victim of Rodgers recruitment, he was an inherited player and he wasn't part of Rodgers dream team. Gerrard could've been great at number 10, as we've seen with Totti, Di Natale, Del Piero and more recently Lampard. Problem is when you buy so many forwards, you can't bench them for a midfielder. Now someone else is going to benefit from our mistakes, just like Man City is benefiting from Chelsea's

Stevie G has been the best Liverpool I have been able to watch for my generation anyway.

Countless times he pulled a game from the fire when all looked lost and won trophies off the back of his motivation, key goals and general ability to fight to the end.

I don't blame him for the slip last season because rodgers got his tactics wrong and his pants pulled down by moriniho....there was no need to press for a win as a draw would have been enough and a win against palace the following week would have sealed the deal.

It is time however for Stevie G to move along, as the older he gets the more pace he will lose and become a liability out there. He will be remembered for being the local junior that played his way to the top and stayed loyal to his club, the city of liverpool and his millions of supporters.

My 5 cents worth on it,

I think he's not happy at Rodgers for not playing him every game or not playing him when he is fit.

He retired from international football to prolong his liverpool career and 6 months later he's leaving.

If I'm Roy Hodgson I'm giving him a call and telling him to stay somewhere in Europe and return to playing for England

My 5 cents worth on it,

I think he's not happy at Rodgers for not playing him every game or not playing him when he is fit.

He retired from international football to prolong his liverpool career and 6 months later he's leaving.

If I'm Roy Hodgson I'm giving him a call and telling him to stay somewhere in Europe and return to playing for England

had rodgers got his tactics right vs chelsea, stevie g may have retired at end of last season with his long awaited premiership and on a good note.

My 5 cents worth on it,

Totally arse-wrong lad. He's Brendan's unofficial No. 2 at the club.

Stevie just knows what's best for the club, and him hanging around to play in a wheelchair ain't it.

Honestly not here to troll and I get Liverpool fans adore Gerrard but just wanted to ask a serious question.

Don't any of you feel that he should be a little more loyal than he has been? A true club legend, so loyal, blah blah yet after only really having a couple months of not starting every game and then being told that he won't start every game in the future he instantly decides it's time to move on and has a deal in place mid season already :/ Wouldn't a die hard Liverpool legend accept his playing role will reduce slightly as he ages and stick around to help be an influence in the dressing room, coach the younger players and be involved in the club he loves and help develop the next generation? Say like true one club legends like Giggs and Scholes? Even Lampard had a couple years of a reduced role in Chelsea and did everything to stay before eventually being forced out. Don't know, but the idea that Gerrard leaving is him being 'unselfish' and doing what is best for LIverpool is pretty ridiculous imo. 

Honestly not here to troll and I get Liverpool fans adore Gerrard but just wanted to ask a serious question.

Don't any of you feel that he should be a little more loyal than he has been? A true club legend, so loyal, blah blah yet after only really having a couple months of not starting every game and then being told that he won't start every game in the future he instantly decides it's time to move on and has a deal in place mid season already :/ Wouldn't a die hard Liverpool legend accept his playing role will reduce slightly as he ages and stick around to help be an influence in the dressing room, coach the younger players and be involved in the club he loves and help develop the next generation? Say like true one club legends like Giggs and Scholes? Even Lampard had a couple years of a reduced role in Chelsea and did everything to stay before eventually being forced out. Don't know, but the idea that Gerrard leaving is him being 'unselfish' and doing what is best for LIverpool is pretty ridiculous imo.

He's not the same gerrard anymore....the fast pace of the epl is catching him out and i think he realises this and so does the club. It is just a shame he couldnt have walked away with the title last season in what was probably one last hurrah from him. The club will move forward, however they have lost a large piece of its modern day identity.

He's not the same gerrard anymore....the fast pace of the epl is catching him out and i think he realises this and so does the club. It is just a shame he couldnt have walked away with the title last season in what was probably one last hurrah from him. The club will move forward, however they have lost a large piece of its modern day identity.

What he is trying to say, why not stay and play a bit part role on the field but a large role off the field? Just like gigs?

What he is trying to say, why not stay and play a bit part role on the field but a large role off the field? Just like gigs?

Exactly. He was offered a new deal, he was the one that rejected it because he wanted to start every game and it wasn't even like he has spent a season in a bit part role or anything. Seems like he jumped out as soon as possible. 

For example this is what Paul Scholes said:

'I have said before that Steven Gerrard should still be good for another two seasons at Liverpool. That he has decided to leave in the summer will have been a difficult call. The hardest part is deciding when to do it. You ask yourself: do I still have the legs to carry on at this level or am I going to end up playing 15 to 25 games a season, and become a bit of a museum piece?

I went through it myself and retired too early the first time. My preference was to play for Manchester United or no one else. I never wanted to play for any other club, whether that was in the United States or elsewhere, but I can see the attraction for Gerrard. I always thought he would stay at Liverpool and then move on to the coaching staff in the same way that Ryan Giggs has at United.'

I understand his decision but feel that it totally diminishes his status as a Liverpool legend somewhat. 

Exactly. He was offered a new deal, he was the one that rejected it because he wanted to start every game and it wasn't even like he has spent a season in a bit part role or anything. Seems like he jumped out as soon as possible.

'I have said before that Steven Gerrard should still be good for another two seasons at Liverpool. That he has decided to leave in the summer will have been a difficult call. The hardest part is deciding when to do it. You ask yourself: do I still have the legs to carry on at this level or am I going to end up playing 15 to 25 games a season, and become a bit of a museum piece?

I went through it myself and retired too early the first time. My preference was to play for Manchester United or no one else. I never wanted to play for any other club, whether that was in the United States or elsewhere, but I can see the attraction for Gerrard. I always thought he would stay at Liverpool and then move on to the coaching staff in the same way that Ryan Giggs has at United.'

I understand his decision but feel that it totally diminishes his status as a Liverpool legend somewhat.

I know he's professional and shouldnt let fans get to him....but what if he still feels responsible for the slip last season at anfield which cost liverpool the epl title?. He was so close to securing the only trophy he never had much luck in getting to. The shite sung at him by every set of opposition fans since it has happend would be a constant reminder and maybe the final hurrah mentally was last season. I don't begrudge his move ...goodluck to him! if he can earn some extra cash over in the usa and take his family into a new life experience, it will work out well for him.

"A little more loyal"? After 26 years? Get yer head out.

I know he's professional and shouldnt let fans get to him....but what if he still feels responsible for the slip last season at anfield which cost liverpool the epl title?. He was so close to securing the only trophy he never had much luck in getting to. The shite sung at him by every set of opposition fans since it has happend would be a constant reminder and maybe the final hurrah mentally was last season. I don't begrudge his move ...goodluck to him! if he can earn some extra cash over in the usa and take his family into a new life experience, it will work out well for him.

I agree, regarding it being a personal decision for him and his family's future. That's what I'm saying. This is Gerrard thinking about Gerrard (and his family). All these Liverpool fans saying it's some humble move on his part or him thinking of the best move for the club are way off.

"A little more loyal"? After 26 years? Get yer head out.

He has made 19 EPL appearances this season out of a possible 20 with only 2 from the bench, yet is leaving because of a lack of game time (future game time). 

Easy to be 'loyal'  when you're the first name picked every week. Haven't ever seen any club 'legend' leave their club so quickly at the first sign of their playing role slightly diminishing.