Liverpool FC Thread

To tell you the truth, I couldn't care less if we won today's game.
He took off Balotelli & Sturridge which are our 2 main penalty takers (without Gerrard & Hendo playing).
Why would he do this if it always seemed like going to penalties anyway?
At least now we can concentrate on getting that Champs League spot for next season in the league.

Some easier games coming up now for us:

Burnley

Swansea

Blackburn (FA cup)

Then two massive massive games for top 4 aspirations

Man Utd (home)

Arsenal (away)

Then last 7 games are fairly easy, only chelsea away is really tough.

Man united probably have the toughest run-in in terms of LFC & Arsenal still gotta play:

Tottenham (H)

Us (A)

Man City (H)

Chelsea (A)

Arsenal (H)

Zero merit in selling Sterling. We have here a talented, young player who Liverpool have developed. To sell him now sets a extremely bad precedent. If we to bring another kid through, would that justify the selling of Ibe? Of course not.

Completely agree with you. We arent a feeder club

In regards to Alonso, people forget how poor he was in his second last season here. We tried to sign Barry as his like for like replacement (& failed). Alonso went on to have an amazing year & subsequently was snapped up by Real. But this is neither here nor there...

We're LFC fans... it wasn't unusual (especially during the Rafalution) for players to dip in form and come back.

In other feelings, i find it sad that my boyhood hero, Steven Gerrard is past his prime. Im just reflecting on the memories he has given me as a football fan and his influence on a game isnt what it was (partly due to age but also he doesnt have to drag a team through a season with carragher)

Don't get me wrong, at the same time the BR era is an exciting time to be a LFC fan

I agree RE: Gerrard & I feel almost guilty as I cannot see a place for him in this current team / setup. He does not have the legs to play in midfield & probably doesn't have the guile & legs to play in the front 3. I feel for BR as he tries to negotiate the remaining games for Liverpool's season, but also Gerrard's career. He cannot place sentiment above results.

I hope to see Gerrard contribute to the cause, but I am sad to say, that I hope that this is a role off the bench. I am sure he will positively contribute & put the team first. 

He will forever be remembered as one of our true greats & more than anything I hope we can lift the FA cup for him on his birthday.

Brendan's philosophy is not designed with Gerrard's talents in mind, valuing speed of movement over sublime skill. We used to grind out wins through sheer weight of class, Gerrard, Torres, Owen, Fowler, Rush, Dalglish etc. This break neck football is completely different from what those guys offered, Litmanen tried to bring it to Liverpool and looked like a fish out of water. If we signed him today, he'd be another Suarez without the garbage

Brendan's philosophy is not designed with Gerrard's talents in mind, valuing speed of movement over sublime skill. We used to grind out wins through sheer weight of class, Gerrard, Torres, Owen, Fowler, Rush, Dalglish etc. This break neck football is completely different from what those guys offered, Litmanen tried to bring it to Liverpool and looked like a fish out of water. If we signed him today, he'd be another Suarez without the garbage

Bro, I love you. I know you, and you know I love you because of my cuz's ;)

If what you're saying is true, he should have already signed Sterling for whatever amount of money he wanted ;)

Dameeeee.. What are you on about? We signed Litmanen at the END of his career for a chance and he did score a bit..

You can't compare him to what Gerrards done to British football man.. Gerrard at least would be willing to be on the field for us even though he couldn't do $%H!

I think this is the difference between him and other present players..

We should have just given him whatever he wanted!

Edited by MiteyLFC

Gerrard could've actually played at CB the way Can is playing now, almost like De Boer. An animal in defense that can score screamers, but I think Gerrard would find that demeaning. I think he wants to be a starting midfielder or nothing at all

I posted the following on 2/4/14:

Posted by sydneyred on 02 April 2014 - 04:57 PM in World Football

Arrrggghhh!  I only just saw this.  What are my chances of getting a Wanderers scarf to Merseyside by next Tuesday 8.4.14? I don't even have a scarf I can run down to the post office right now. It'd be Friday lunchtime by the time I'd make it available to send after getting hold of a scarf. Why the urgency? Because there's a Melbourne Victory & a Brisbane Roar scarf featured in the video below. WSW representation obligatory!!

http://www.liverpool...ibute-to-the-96

Justice for the 96!

Regrettably, I never got round to sending a WSW scarf over in time.

Fast forward 12 months later...

I've been on Merseyside since 27/2/15.  First trip to UK.  I've waited nearly 20 years to make this pilgrimage.  

Was at Anfield for LFC v City (Upper Anfield Rd Stand), & also LFC v Burnley (Lower Centenary Stand).  Taxi driver (season ticket holder on Kop for 35 years) took me past Melwood on the way to Anfield for a stadium tour, & saw Jordan Henderson leaving in his black Audi.  Did a 2nd stadium tour with Thommo 3 days later, & he was overawed by LFC's AUS support on display in Melbourne, as reported to him by his sister who was there at the match.  

Arrived in London by train 2 days ago for work conference.  Returning to Liverpool, thankfully, tomorrow by train for LFC v Blackburn FA Cup 6th round quarter final (Lower Centenary Stand - tried & failed to get a ticket in the Kop.).  Then home.

I have some photos I would like to share with my WSW family...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131779923@N06/sets/72157651218592255/

The Hillsborough Justice Campaign office is directly across the narrow road from The Kop.

Visible from the doorway is a Sydney Reds scarf, from the Official Liverpool Supporters Club of NSW, of which I am a member.  Several other scarves & banners of support inside the office & upstairs.

Finally...finally, after missing out last time, a WSW scarf is hung proudly in support of the 96 & their families.  I watched as countless fans from all over the world visiting Anfield for the first time, like myself, entered to find out more about the Hillsborough Justice Campaign from Gerry, the elderly gentleman with the white hair.  Needless to say, it regularly brought Gerry close to tears & put a lump in my throat, exacerbated by the fact that new & disturbing findings are emerging daily from the Hillsborough Inquiry currently taking place in Warrington.  They are genuinely grateful for any support.

Hillsborough Justice Campaign:

http://www.contrast.org/hillsborough/

Justice for the 96!  

YNWA

• 3 weeks later...

You'd expect mario balotelli to get sent off after 41 seconds on the field.

Never expected that from Gerrard and benching him at the start was the  wrong call by BR.

You'd expect mario balotelli to get sent off after 41 seconds on the field.

Never expected that from Gerrard and benching him at the start was the  wrong call by BR.

Bro, we've won every single game recently when Gerrard hasn't played because of his injuries.

So he did have to be benched. Llallllllanllllla's been doing good recently.

It was a good team selection, but they didn't turn up on the day.

They all played with injuries, Lllllalllllallllna went off for Gerrard. I know how that half time team talk went on..

Gerrard must have said "we need to step up, this is Anfield, we are Liverpool.. Cammon, we got this".

Then he goes all out and stamps on a guys foot and gets sent off lol

Took his emotions a bit too far which he always does during the close Derbies with Utd & Everton.

I expected better from him, seeing this was his last home game with United before he leaves..

Was thinking about it today, the guy's been demoted to the bench for a team he won't be playing for next season. He had nothing to lose and here come two pipsqueaks from a team he hates trying to two foot him. Wasn't the smartest thing to do but I can understand why he did it

Edited by ColdRock

Wow, wish I could have been at Anfield overnight..

Gerrard vs Carragher charity match being played at Anfield..
Ended up as a 2-2 draw but the players attending just makes me think if we had all these guys at the club at one time, we should have won the league easily at least for 10 seasons lol..
I keep saying, no use selling one player for $120M and spend that money on 4-5 players who are on the rise..
Suarez, Torres, Alonso (who was being sold to get fricken Gareth Barry) at the time..
Looking at these teams that lined up this morning for us to represent Gerrard & Carragher..
We had some of the greatest players in the world..
I'm repeating myself because I can't get over this lol

Im convinced that sterling is goneskis at seasons end.

He looks like a guy that does not want to stay at the club anymore. 

• 1 month later...

Sterling's youth is what's driving his price, Madrid want his potential not so much what he's doing now. There are players out there in or past their prime matching Sterling's numbers for a fraction of what Madrid is offering.

We need to capitalize on our patience in his development, and use the money to build a trophy winning team now instead of waiting to see how he matures. That's the difference between us and Madrid, their present is taken care of but their future looks bleak. We on the other hand have a great future but our present is questionable

Rinse and repeat

Sterling's youth is what's driving his price, Madrid want his potential not so much what he's doing now. There are players out there in or past their prime matching Sterling's numbers for a fraction of what Madrid is offering.

We need to capitalize on our patience in his development, and use the money to build a trophy winning team now instead of waiting to see how he matures. That's the difference between us and Madrid, their present is taken care of but their future looks bleak. We on the other hand have a great future but our present is questionable

Rinse and repeat

I don't agree that Real Madrid's future looks bleak, 

whilst they have more money than everyone else they can sign who they want when they want