International Current Affairs (#BidenIn)

4 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

You just don’t quite seem your normal self 

Ah you don’t know Legia. He didn’t say WHY he posted that article. Not really sure it was an endorsement. Maybe a pisstake? Van Badham is probably not his favourite person. :D

5 hours ago, Cynth said:

Ah you don’t know Legia. He didn’t say WHY he posted that article. Not really sure it was an endorsement. Maybe a pisstake? Van Badham is probably not his favourite person. :D

No you’ve converted him he’s probably out selling green left weekly out front of newtown station

5 minutes ago, Cynth said:

Gotta watch those far left fascists! 

Some  scary **** in that article though, the deliberate provoking of division, the our culture is under threat language not to mention it being Covid fest 2020 over there 

42 minutes ago, Legionista said:

The projection.

It's constant.

:xbop:

I remember once you broke the 255 character limit, it was a mess. You quickly retreated.

although I have enjoyed the puns comrade 

Edited by StringerBellend
Just now, Cynth said:

Yes it is isn’t it? 

Yes I have been carefully creating A internet persona of a Middle Aged left leaning guardian reading inner west wanker.

coincidentally it matches my real life persona too  

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2018/12/why-third-wave-anti-racism-dead-end/578764/

[T]hird-wave antiracism is a profoundly religious movement in everything but terminology. The idea that whites are permanently stained by their white privilege, gaining moral absolution only by eternally attesting to it, is the third wave’s version of original sin. The idea of a someday when America will “come to terms with race” is as vaguely specified a guidepost as Judgment Day. Explorations as to whether an opinion is “problematic” are equivalent to explorations of that which may be blasphemous. The social mauling of the person with “problematic” thoughts parallels the excommunication of the heretic. What is called “virtue signaling,” then, channels the impulse that might lead a Christian to an aggressive display of her faith in Jesus. 

Edited by Legionista

And here’s me thinking the guy that was killed by the police officer was the victim

do you actually believe that pretentious load of rubbish 

wendy will dig it though

Edited by StringerBellend
13 hours ago, Legionista said:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2018/12/why-third-wave-anti-racism-dead-end/578764/

[T]hird-wave antiracism is a profoundly religious movement in everything but terminology. The idea that whites are permanently stained by their white privilege, gaining moral absolution only by eternally attesting to it, is the third wave’s version of original sin. The idea of a someday when America will “come to terms with race” is as vaguely specified a guidepost as Judgment Day. Explorations as to whether an opinion is “problematic” are equivalent to explorations of that which may be blasphemous. The social mauling of the person with “problematic” thoughts parallels the excommunication of the heretic. What is called “virtue signaling,” then, channels the impulse that might lead a Christian to an aggressive display of her faith in Jesus. 

This article I think  has some merit but not really for us in Australia. We don’t do the whole serious guilt trip thing as much here. No white person should feel guilt but they should feel responsibility to understand inequality and implicit bias. There is a history of inequality that has caused the huge income and outcome disparity in the US ( and Australia) and doing something about it takes acknowledgment but not repentance. Understanding and education and conscious change is what’s needed, not claims of “white privilege”, not a lot of white people can relate to those accusations so they only serve to alienate people from the cause.  Basic psychology. :unknw:

Real change means affirmative action though and the same lot that fight the whole white privilege thing also oppose affirmative action. 

Edited by Cynth
56 minutes ago, Cynth said:

claims of “white privilege”, not a lot of white people can relate to those accusations so they only serve to alienate people from the cause. 

Which is why people interested in maintaining the old status quo - complete with its own set of values and correct rhetoric that can easily be compared to blind religion - are so keen to talk about such claims. I suspect the majority of alienated people would never have been exposed to a direct claim of white privilege, except ones that have been filtered in this way.

49 minutes ago, marron said:

Which is why people interested in maintaining the old status quo - complete with its own set of values and correct rhetoric that can easily be compared to blind religion - are so keen to talk about such claims. I suspect the majority of alienated people would never have been exposed to a direct claim of white privilege, except ones that have been filtered in this way.

Yes I agree. I don’t the “white privledge” accusation is common and most are responding to the caricature of the left produced by certain parts of the media.....but there are some....and I find it closes down conversation and learning. 

1 hour ago, Cynth said:

This article I think  has some merit but not really for us in Australia. We don’t do the whole serious guilt trip thing as much here. No white person should feel guilt but they should feel responsibility to understand inequality and implicit bias. There is a history of inequality that has caused the huge income and outcome disparity in the US ( and Australia) and doing something about it takes acknowledgment but not repentance. Understanding and education and conscious change is what’s needed, not claims of “white privilege”, not a lot of white people can relate to those accusations so they only serve to alienate people from the cause.  Basic psychology. :unknw:

Real change means affirmative action though and the same lot that fight the whole white privilege thing also oppose affirmative action. 

What inequality in Australia , there is no inequality in this country.

3 minutes ago, theseeker said:

What inequality in Australia , there is no inequality in this country.

When the top end of town by not paying tax, either by avasion or avoidance, and the rest of us have to pay tax, there is most definitely  inequality in Australia. 

• mack changed the title to International Current Affairs (#BidenIn)
  • mack locked this topic