Film Thread

MP4Eedz

Also Goat, look up "The Tunnel". You should be able to find the whole movie on Youtube. It's an Aussie movie filmed under St James station. It scared the living hell out of me simply because I've spent so much of my life catching city circle trains.

that was a ****in brilliant movie. i loved how they made it into a documentary like thing, and i love all the history and stuff in the movie.

as for suspense though, i this time last year i would have said the suspense was awesome, but after the wanderers season with a few loooooonng injury time decisions, meh. 

i really need to watch that movie i have heard only good things, plus i love the history

i remember watching a documentary on the London underground system, if there is any place in the world that is supposedly haunted that is one of the places, such an interesting place to me its fascinating

I've seen a heap of horror movies- there's a lot of drivel out there (as with any genre of movies or music or whatever)

1408 had it's moments- really f$$$s with your head.

The ring (and, particularly Ringu- the original Japanese version) should cause you a few uncomfortable nights sleep. I watched it on a date when I was about 16 or 17- she was laughing her ass off, mostly at me jumping out of my seat. Needless to say- didn't get any :smurfnono:

Try any of the Friday the 13ths, Halloweens or Nightmare on Elm Streets..... simultaneously hilarious(ly bad) and scary. The originals are classics.

lol i remember taking a girl to see the dark knight i know its not close to horror but i didnt get any either :P and thanks i'll check them out i cant wait to see 1408

I think the scarier horror films are the ones that are actually possible..

agreed i dont like really fake horror movies i know they are all fake but for me the location is 99% of where the horror comes from

i remember when i was 8 there was this abandoned house down my street such a scary house but so much fun exploring it

Have always loved horror movies... first one I watched was a 70s film called Deep Red by Dario Argento... I was ten and remember feeling like I had a severe fever how scared I got!

if you're a fan of classic horror, Argento is a genius and still one of my favourite directors of all time

Oh no, if anything I was worried about you being inconvenienced by the other tragically weird posts happening in the other threads in this sub-forum... 

Were you talking about "The Motorcycle Diaries" like you suggested on your twitter? If so, that movie is beyond amazing... I watched it a while ago, never expecting to watch the whole thing, it was just engrossing.... The cinematography was so amazing, the landscape was just breathtaking.... I'm not South American or anything, but it seemed to paint just a really vivid picture of the times...  Plus those scenes at the leprosy camp.... Wow....

Great movie. 

Edited by JamCal

Oh no, if anything I was worried about you being inconvenienced by the other tragically weird posts happening in the other threads in this sub-forum... 

Were you talking about "The Motorcycle Diaries" like you suggested on your twitter? If so, that movie is beyond amazing... I watched it a while ago, never expecting to watch the whole thing, it was just engrossing.... The cinematography was so amazing, the landscape was just breathtaking.... I'm not South American or anything, but it seemed to paint just a really vivid picture of the times...  Plus those scenes at the leprosy camp.... Wow....

Great movie. 

Yeah, The Motorcycle Diaries. I absolutely love that movie. I need to do something like that when I travel again soon.

Great movie. 

Yeah, The Motorcycle Diaries. I absolutely love that movie. I need to do something like that when I travel again soon.

Last year a friend in New York left her job, took a year off uni and did just that - spent the better part of a year in South America, based in Buenos Aires but travelling around on motorcycle and couch surfing with a group of friends. All inspired by this film.

Made me want to cry in jealousy. :(

Great movie. 

Last year a friend in New York left her job, took a year off uni and did just that - spent the better part of a year in South America, based in Buenos Aires but travelling around on motorcycle and couch surfing with a group of friends. All inspired by this film.

Made me want to cry in jealousy. :(

That's my dream! I'll do that one day :D

Does anyone have interest in Asian movies?

I am a huge fan of Jackie Chan, loved his police story movies, i enjoyed watching his movie from 2009, shinjuku incident, it was dark but not your typical jackie chan movie, more like triads vs the yakuza.

Loved the movie death note from japan.

Its not all about kung fu fighting.

Sure do, I think my fave Asian genre still has to be the bad-ass cop films from HK, of the Infernal Affairs mould.

Old Boy was good, but violent enough for me to cringe/turn away on certain scenes.

Also quite enjoy some of the Nordic film, very gritty films in general.

A couple years ago I did a whole bulk order of blurays, all Asian cinema:

Red Cliff (the full 4.5 hour version)

Fearless (starring Jet Li)

Mulan (live action)

Warlords (starring Jet Li and Andy Lau)

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

I really need to watch Once Upon a Time in China again. Its been years since I've watched that. The ultimate epic in HK cinema!

German Film Festival time again and whilst I'm pissed off that yet again no cinema west of Ultimo gets a look in to show any Deustcher Kino there is one film I definitely want to see:

http://www.goethe.de/ins/au/lp/prj/fia/ffg/fil/wic/enindex.htm Odyssey of Heroes

(The story of the crew of the Emden after it was sunk by HMAS Sydney in WWI)

Have always loved horror movies... first one I watched was a 70s film called Deep Red by Dario Argento... I was ten and remember feeling like I had a severe fever how scared I got!

if you're a fan of classic horror, Argento is a genius and still one of my favourite directors of all time

thanks i'll check it out, i love feeling fear and scared i dont know why it makes no sense :D but its a great feeling imo even if it makes no sense :D

Edited by TheGoatOfDoom

I saw "Warm Bodies" yesterday, a zombie movie, because I misread the starting time of the movie I really wanted to watch. Not too scary! The lead actor was a lead in "Skins", the UK TV series. Good fun!

The Cup by Khyentse Norbu, a Bhutanese-Tibetan film (sounds extremely pretentious I know but it isn't). Great movie that uses the game of football as a motif for illustrating the struggle for Buddhist monks to adapt in an increasing modernised world.

The Cup by Khyentse Norbu, a Bhutanese-Tibetan film (sounds extremely pretentious I know but it isn't). Great movie that uses the game of football as a motif for illustrating the struggle for Buddhist monks to adapt in an increasing modernised world.

Saw this ages ago on SBS...it's a gem. There are some funny moments and moving ones too, and of course how can you go wrong when showing how universal the language of football can be.

I saw "Warm Bodies" yesterday, a zombie movie, because I misread the starting time of the movie I really wanted to watch. Not too scary! The lead actor was a lead in "Skins", the UK TV series. Good fun!

was it a good movie? i tend to avoid anything like that but doesnt mean it wasnt a good movie

• 8 months later...

So ive been getting pretty crazy with the amount of horror movies ive watched lately - some brilliant films out there but oh so much crap too. Anyone else really enjoy the horror genre? I'm running out of movies and was hoping there were some classics out there that are undiscovered.

Over the last 6 months ive watched some corkers tho - here's a quick top 5 for anyone interested. So many other great films though.

5 - Cabin In The Woods (2012)

VERY unqiue take on the teenagers trapped in a spooky cabin theme. Dont read up about this movie, just watch it. You will not expect how it unfolds.

4 -  28 Days Later (2002)

My favourite zombie movie, cant believe its 12 years old. So atmospheric and some nice jump-scares. Everyone knows this film, watch it if you havent already!

3 - Martyrs (2008)

Amazing French horror. Brutal movie that explores some pretty deep themes and will keep you guessing. Brilliant.

2 - Behind The Mask - The Rise Of Leslie Vernon (2006)

Amazing. One of the most unique films of any genre. Months after watching this it will still affect your viewing of horror films, especially slasher movies. So good.

1 - Troll Hunter (2013)

What a movie! It's everything a horror movie should be. A Norweign film which uses the 'found footage' style to follow student film-makers who track a 'troll hunter'. Great atmosphere, great effects, and so much fun. Just watch it!

(Honourable mention: Blair Witch Project - we all know it, so frikken good)

What's everyone else's top 5?

Edited by srsen

A girl I'm talking to watched Evil Dead and she said that gave her a really good scare though I'm yet to watch it.

A couple of my favourites are Jeepers Creepers & Urban Legend which gave me a real good scare back in the day and introduced me to the genre. REC (the French or Spanish original) had a few good scares in that apartment building. The original Saw was quite good in the psychological sense.

Edited by Peaches